PDA

View Full Version : Video help

Ninjutsu1990
10-27-2014, 07:28 AM
All wars and alliances aside. I need help lol. I'm working on making an arena video so I'm recording multiple videos each at 15minutes long. The idea is to take highlights from each arena and make a montage of me rocking my Spellsinger. Now I consider myself pretty tech savy, I've built all of my computers and when it comes to hardware, I can rock it. But holy ♥♥♥♥ am I lost of making videos. My first video in raw format at 15 minutes long is 30GB in size. It obviously needs compressed. So I do some research and find what I'm looking for to compress my video. Download DivX codecs, and begin compressing. Estimated time to compress you ask? 8 hours...wtf. So it'll take me 8 hours per arena match to compress it before I even reach the editing process.

Guys what am I doing wrong? Or is this normal and people who make badass gameplay videos are exceptionally patient people?

DirtyCuban
10-27-2014, 08:41 AM
what resolution are you recording in?

sophia
10-27-2014, 09:04 AM
it should not be this size try to change maybe the resolution to 480 or 720p, framerate 30? encoding quality maybe some compression like ultra high motion jpeg 100 these settings will get me to about 1gb per minute for a different game i make videos for.

Ninjutsu1990
10-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Raw format is in 1080p. Which I knew would haunt me trying to record in that format. Is there a way to speed up the compression process? I feel like hours on end to compress is like playing clash of clans. I've thought about spending the money on a solid state to to do my editing on for faster speeds.

DaddyNasty
10-27-2014, 09:34 AM
I've never made a montage before, but I do record a lot of live video for conferences. I use Sony Vegas for my editor (you have to pay for it, or use a trail version), which will render "compress" to different file formats. I also use Aimersoft Video (I think it's free) converter to convert video files to different formats. At most recording 1080, or 720 it takes double the time to render. Most of the time it is runs around real time. Meaning a 15 min video takes around 15 mins. It shouldn't take you 8 hours for a beefy machine.

What is your final desired format? Mp4?

Ilajide
10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I use Vegas Pro 13 for my editing, a 15 minute video even in 1080p should not be 30GB, it shouldn't even be half that. I used to edit YouTube videos for people and 12-13 minute videos would take me maybe 25 or 30 minutes to render in 1080p (I also have a custom built high-end rig though). Personally I find it's best to render as an AVC/AAC (.mp4) because I've had zero problems with this oppose to just trying to create an .mp4 or an .avi file.

Ninjutsu1990
10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
So I'll throw out what I'm using as far as programs. I'm using Action! as my recording software. It records into a raw video in an AVI format. My 15 minute arena video comes up as a 30GB file recorded in 1080p. Which I expected from a raw recording. So I open my compressor software (which I can't remember the name of) load the file, choose a one pass high quality compressing codec, save the file as an AVI file. Once it starts the compression, it's literally processing a frame a second with a 59,000 frame video. Soooo estimated completion time racks up quickly literally hours. So I have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Ilajide
10-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Action! is great for recording and I really enjoyed using it, I actually just recently helped a friend with something similar. It sounds like your issue is your recordings are too long and have amassed a size that your processor struggles with. somewhere in the settings for Action! you can make it periodically clip your video into sections while it's recording so instead of one large 30GB file you'll have small 3-4GB files in your Action! folder. What you're doing at the moment wouldn't be a problem if you had a ton of processing power to dedicate to just that, plus with the clipping it will be much easier to work with while you edit, instead of having to slice one input 40, 50, 200+ times, you get to work clip by clip.

Ninjutsu1990
10-27-2014, 10:36 AM
When I get off work I'm going to run through all the settings and see what everything is set at. I honestly might be trying to record above 30frames as well. Which is pointless seeing as YouTube doesn't allow Above 30.

Ilajide
10-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Well, once you're able to control your clips frames and resolution won't effect what you're doing, just the overall quality