PDA

View Full Version : Excited for a Sandbox MMO?

afartinthefog
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Hello I am creating this thread to discuss what type of gamer is coming to try out and perhaps buy ArcheAge. The reason I am interested in ArcheAge is because it is one of the few MMOs I have ever seen which is actually a sandbox with an immersive open world which encourages player interaction! I know holy ♥♥♥♥ an MMO which encourages people to talk to each other. Crazy right?

I used to play WoW a lot on and off until last year where I just could not take the hand holding and the lack of emergent gameplay. Upon discovering what type of MMO I would be interested in I tried EvE Online but I just couldn't get into it! Hopefully ArcheAge will deliver the sandbox MMO experience. If it does it will certainly have me subscribed for years.

Feel free to introduce yourself and discuss the state of MMOs and what you want to find in an MMO nowadays.

Here is an insightful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64

Baron Zemo
03-22-2014, 12:14 AM
I have been a gamer for about 6 years now, and I have had bad luck with MMOs keeping me interested, I've always liked Sandbox liked games and they interest me more cause the gameplay never ends, there is always something to do and Archeage looks very promising I can already feel like dropping years into this game, which might sounds bad but gamers can understand that kind of statement.

My personal Problem with MMOs now a days, MMOs or Developers have forgotten to be Creative. Theses days no one tries to go outside the Box anymore, surprise players or try to give them something new, refreshing something worth being Excited about, and for most gamers this is probably a true every time I play an MMO I always have a "Deja Vu" moment in my head,,"I'd seen this before" every mmo are the same only thing change is the combat, "Here comes the Clones" and it makes me so mad to hear people compare every MMO to WOW or its always a clone of some other game...which is sad but true, for most MMos at least, some companies just want to make money I suppose and while I can understand them wanting to make money , It annoys when a game is almost broken just because in order to get the uber-powerful item, or have every character look the same.

Yes some MMOs have been different, unique and I have had the opportunity to enjoy them,games likes Neverwinter (stahp.) now I know it still "looks" like a typical MMO but you can tell they tried to be different it looks refined, games like Vindictus, Guild Wars 2,Dungeons and Dragons Online, Eve Online, TERA, Age of Wushu,Day Z, Ragnarok, Mortal Online,The Secret World

These are just games off the top of my head...but moving on all I want from an MMOs is something that sets it apart, something that makes you go "Woah" ,I am not asking for much just a little distinction not another "faceless, generic, clone, money-making, rushed" MMO

Which is why I'm excited and pumped for Archeage cause it dared to be different.

Mavol
03-22-2014, 12:25 AM
I started out with Ultima Online in 1999 and have been "chasing the dragon" ever since for that first high i felt playing that game. Never came close really except for a brief stint in SWG and a really really long stint in EVE Online. I absolutely am so excited for this game and what its offering so far. Would prefer even more sandbox than what its offering but beggars can't be choosers i guess if the last decade can be any measure :( Horrible horrible long decade for gaming for me personally. Hope this turns it around *shrugs*

Baron Zemo
03-22-2014, 12:35 AM
In the end all we really want are more Sandbox mmos, which explains my ps3 games lol

Palinore
03-22-2014, 08:57 AM
I started out with Ultima Online in 1999 and have been "chasing the dragon" ever since for that first high i felt playing that game. Never came close really except for a brief stint in SWG and a really really long stint in EVE Online. I absolutely am so excited for this game and what its offering so far. Would prefer even more sandbox than what its offering but beggars can't be choosers i guess if the last decade can be any measure :( Horrible horrible long decade for gaming for me personally. Hope this turns it around *shrugs*

I'm in the exact same boat. Started UO in 99 and have been chasing that adventurous feeling ever since then. I have been patiently waiting for a game like this to come out. Crossing my fingers for a good turn out.

Yammy
03-22-2014, 09:04 AM
You guys will see just how much this game has to offer, it's really amazing all the things you can do in this game. It's like none other, if you're a Sandbox fan then this game won't disappoint you. The amount of content that this game offers so early in game is really something i wanna experience. Unlike most games where you only get to do them End Game. Here you can do every from level 1 if you wish. No loading zones, just sailing away on the ocean to reach to another continent / island is really a great feeling.

Raikus
03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
This game is a MUST on the gamers mind. You'll get stoked from it believe me.

kohii
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Haha omg the ultima feels woo ok now that thats over i understand exactly how you feel i used to troll sites like gameogre looking and hoping for something new and innovative i was really disappointed with gw2 only because i was so excited for it and it just didnt hold me like the original

Balmung
03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
ArcheAge is a Sand Park. It was in the CBT in Korea much more Sandbox as it is now. The most Content that the Game get since Release in Korea is Theme Park Content like Instances and they ruin more Sandbox Elements than bring more Sandbox in. And biggest Problem of AA is that the Sandbox Part didn't work very well after the Devs mean Item Decay is Evil. Too much Mats in the Market, too less Mats/Gold Sink. It is annoying how the Devs ruin so much Potential at that game, specially on the Elements for the long time fun.

So it is clear, AA have Sandbox Elements but it is not really a true Sandbox Game, there are some MMOs out with much much more Sandbox Elements than AA have.

Mavol
03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
ArcheAge is a Sand Park. It was in the CBT in Korea much more Sandbox as it is now. The most Content that the Game get since Release in Korea is Theme Park Content like Instances and they ruin more Sandbox Elements than bring more Sandbox in. And biggest Problem of AA is that the Sandbox Part didn't work very well after the Devs mean Item Decay is Evil. Too much Mats in the Market, too less Mats/Gold Sink. It is annoying how the Devs ruin so much Potential at that game, specially on the Elements for the long time fun.

So it is clear, AA have Sandbox Elements but it is not really a true Sandbox Game, there are some MMOs out with much much more Sandbox Elements than AA have.

Yea i played the Korean CBT as well and only like a week into OBT. I was SUPER dissappointed with them removing item decay but out of my control now

Balmung
03-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Yea i played the Korean CBT as well and only like a week into OBT. I was SUPER dissappointed with them removing item decay but out of my control now
Yeah... Jake Song said something like "we take it out because the Players didn't like the Item Decay"... show me a Player that like that his Item could get destroyed... but better take it out and ruin the Sandbox Part with that and ruin also P2P, because that was definitely one of that Things why AA must switched to F2P.

Branwulf
03-23-2014, 08:26 AM
I'd be careful how you set your expectations, despite Trion throwing the word 'sandbox' around a bit, it's really nothing like OU or EVE, it's more of a themepark with a lot of sandboxy features.

Balmung
03-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I'd be careful how you set your expectations, despite Trion throwing the word 'sandbox' around a bit, it's really nothing like OU or EVE, it's more of a themepark with a lot of sandboxy features.
"Sandbox" is in, so all must be priced as "Sandbox", even when it's have only a bit of it. And so a other important Term for the Players who love such Games get casual and lost his value (like "MMORPG" itself or "Guild", "Crafter", "Hero" etc.)

Senichiro
04-07-2014, 06:11 AM
sandbox mmos are the best

KeksX
04-07-2014, 06:23 AM

It could become something like that though. If they really add more continents that guilds can reign over we could eventually have mechanics that are at least similar to those games and that'd be still really awesome.

Sparkinator
04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I know FFXIV had player housing, but having a whole player controlled economy? I'm excited to see how this turns out, its a great concept

shadole
04-09-2014, 12:43 AM
the coolest thing about this game, is that you can be, and do almost any thing you want. the freedom is boundless. vary big concept for a game.