PDA

View Full Version : Let it Snow!

FireCait
12-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Hi all!

We've turned on the snow on the Public Test Server to see what the impact is on your game performance.

Your feedback is appreciated!

jiggu
12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Looks awesome, didn't harm my fps too much, but we'll see if it makes me bluescreen more
Also any word on giving people 50k mining?

Runia
12-14-2014, 01:51 PM
It's amazing, no mmorpg has better snow then AA

rbb138
12-14-2014, 02:04 PM
It's very bright, brings the fps down by about 20-30% but overall looks quite nice.

Maybe theres a way to make it active only at night?
(i.e. the snow "melts" in the morning) because it really is very bright.

Zeri
12-14-2014, 02:05 PM
i love it! the snow is really nice, and doesnt seem to slow my game down much if at all. i noticed that there were certain places where snow didnt fall, because thick trees or rocks were overhead. nice touch! it IS quite bright tho.. but i suppose that is to be expected, i mean the real thing is pretty bright too. so far seems to be working fine and looks nice.

Marinia
12-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi all!

We've turned on the snow on the Public Test Server to see what the impact is on your game performance.

It's great that the PTS is up!

Is there anything that can be done so we can run both PTS and our regular clients? Being penalized for being on PTS by missing labor regen on the regular servers sucks in a fairly major way.

Dapo
12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Hi,
The snow bugs in some areas, there are spots where there is no snow and it disappears from the screen for no reason. It happens in Perinoor Ruins ( Blackwood Rampart area)

Zeri
12-14-2014, 02:22 PM
yeah ive just noticed a similar problem. wherever there is no snow, you are unable to walk, like there is an object there but you cannot see any object. you can try to fly over it, but you kinda get stuck in midair.

FireCait
12-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Can you post a screenshot of your map to show where you found the issue?

Shootersa
12-14-2014, 02:24 PM
No issues i've seen

Zeri
12-14-2014, 02:50 PM
ok the first one is in tigers eye in tigerspine mountains. the darks spots were impossible to walk thru

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s324/Zeriday/Archeage/ScreenShot0163.jpg

and this one was in carnard city in ynystere. all the buildings on one side were in cutaway, or disappeared completely.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s324/Zeriday/Archeage/ScreenShot0165.jpg

SweetLavender
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Loving the snow! It's snowing indoors though. Not nice to see that lol.

Guizmo
12-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Footprints red crime, are less visible in the snow. See invisible, because of the camera view angle.
I do not have a graphics performance problem with snow. :D

Elaeagnus
12-14-2014, 03:20 PM
The snow is blindingly bright at certain angles in my opinion, and I think there could be less snowflakes. Otherwise, it looks pretty nice.

If possible, however, maybe you could also add the option to turn it on and off because my eyes get weary of the snow effect after a while.

Performance-wise, I don't notice any performance issues on my end.

Elisaday
12-14-2014, 03:20 PM
I love the snow! Really perked up my mood. I haven't noticed any fps changes but I wasn't doing much in-game yet to test it. I am not a fan of how it seems to be character-centric versus environment based. Makes it feel a bit 'floaty' as we move around. There is snow in houses and underwater. I think with some tweaking it would be perfect, but it's not bad as-is either.
Pet

Dapo
12-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I do understand what was the idea but it doesn't look good in certain areas. Most of the times there is not a real reason why the snow is not on the ground. Nothing above the area that would make you think that on that spot the snow would not be there.
http://i.imgur.com/kD9Fu6q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4dxstQM.jpg

0nce
12-14-2014, 04:08 PM
When your camera is still it looks great. When you move your camera and it just looks like a filter over your screen then it looks bad.

Scarran
12-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I was one of those disappointed when the snow effect was not turned on. So altho it may not be perfect I really hope it stays on as it feels more Christmassy with the snow effect on.

Other than the invisible walls that some have had everything else is just minor niggles and hopefully it isn't bad enough where the snow has to get turned off again.

Noelani
12-14-2014, 05:19 PM
When your camera is still it looks great. When you move your camera and it just looks like a filter over your screen then it looks bad.

Yeah, it's unnerving how it travels with you and starts clipping into things as you run past. @_@

Gries
12-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Isn't possible to add an option to remove the snow effect?

Shiverwind
12-14-2014, 08:11 PM
absolutely love this! it hasnt affected my game play other than plants are a little hard to see.

Naao
12-14-2014, 09:14 PM
In my opinion, snow is cool for about 5 minutes. After that it becomes a nuisance. Snowing everywhere on the world 24/7 kinda ruins the charm. Especially in the middle of the ocean. No performance impacts on my game though. Does make combat a tad more difficult. Personally, an option to turn it off would be most favorable before release to live.

Edit: Seems I do get small frame drops in larger scale combat. The snow also tends to blur some.
Edit 2: Blood is next to impossible to see
http://i.imgur.com/MNv5ggh.jpg

Stonelotus
12-14-2014, 09:22 PM
looks outstanding. definite noticeable framerate hit but it didn't make anything unplayable that I've run across yet.

Toy Fuzion
12-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm getting odd, brief black- and white-outs the longer I play. They are fast, and a single flicker. Didn't catch either with a screenshot and don't experience this normally. Also when going through the mirage portal, all NPC names black out, which is something I don't get otherwise, either. Did get a screenshot of that:

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/toyfuzion/ScreenShot0302_zps405bc4e2.jpg

I run an AMD FX 6300 6-core, 8 gig memory, and GeForce GT 720 card, and also run in Directx 9 (11 always crashes the game under normal play).

talizzar
12-14-2014, 11:16 PM
I love the effect! It is like a new game. Very cool to see solis and Vill in snow. Love the snow on the cedars...Very festive feeling. No real performance hit.

rawrlison
12-15-2014, 01:39 AM
I really enjoy snow and ice maps , I just loved the way the maps are looking , but the snow falling on the screen is not that cool, it kinda cuts some visibility and, for me , hits some fps and make my GPU Temperature 10% hotter than it is without the snow.

The Wanderer
12-15-2014, 03:07 AM
I don't mind it, but some players disliked it. I think it would be worthwhile to investigate the possibility of adding an option in game settings to turn off weather effects.

From a graphical standpoint, I wish that it was more than just a poly wrapped around the camera. I know it's easiest this way, rather than having actual 3D areas of falling snow all over the world (the flakes would still be 2D, but the areas they fall in would be static and physical, not just an override over the player's screen), but it's noticeable when you move back and forth, or zoom in and out.

I hope you view this as constructive feedback, though. All in all, I am happy with the fact that there -is- a snow effect. Many games never bother with weather or seasonal terrain changes. I am really looking forward to this coming to the live servers, even if it remains as is.

More to the point: I personally experienced absolutely no performance issues with the effect.

Here's a video of the graphical oddness people are likely to notice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UIDwDLGw0

berry
12-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Hi all!

It's amazing , but I guess with many ppl over 30+ goanna be freezing and laggy ,
I would like see more thing for snow like add freezing some sea or lake ,River also at house from the top

junweizhu
12-15-2014, 04:24 AM
It's amazing , but I guess with many ppl over 30+ goanna be freezing and laggy ,
I would like see more thing for snow like add freezing some sea or lake ,River also at house from the top

I guess it'll be time to call for a mass group up to see how the client takes it with snow?

Siobhan
12-15-2014, 04:30 AM
In my experience so far, the FPS hit isn't too bad, but the sheer amount of snow is annoying.

It was cool to see it to begin with, and the "just started to snow" winter ground effects are nice, but I would like to see the snow scaled back a bit. Either that or different intensities for different areas. Heavier in open countryside, lighter in towns and housing areas. There's just s much going on in these places that the snow only makes one pithy.

Voluntaris
12-15-2014, 05:44 AM
I had no issues with the absolutely gorgeous snow.... and the Perinoor Ruins were breathtakingly beautiful!

I maybe only saw an FPS reduction of about 5-10 fps (normally at 105-115, with snow was seeing around 95-105 - this is not near lots of chickens of course - i.e., Solzreed Housing Area, where FPS goes to die. :P )

Computer Specs: i7 4770k, 32GB of RAM, GTX780 OC, Samsung Pro 256GB SSD

Gerda
12-15-2014, 06:47 AM
When i'm talking with quest npc, my screen went blue and start flashing(when it snows).

http://i.imgur.com/FHms4VG.jpg

Zoodle
12-15-2014, 07:43 AM
I like the change in the season, but I could absolutly do without the snowblindness. After a few minutes, the game is visually unenjoyable. The downfall particle effect in the foreground could be eliminated as it to distracting. When out on the ocean, it is near impossible to tell if your boat is moving.

Also, if weather is going to be including, it needs to be varied. The snow you have here is not. Maybe there could be a short duration of snowfall, then it could turn off for a while and give everyone's eyes a rest.

flesh
12-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Look good, but a bit overkill, it gets rather annoying.

Eloura
12-15-2014, 08:28 AM
The snow is way too bright especially in the desert where it's bright anyways, makes it impossible to see after a while. I've reduced the contrast but now my npcs and avatars are dark. I then adjusted up a bit... but after awhile the snow gets annoying and my eyes need a break. I have to agree with Zoodle and flesh on this points.

Trenjeska
12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
It's great that the PTS is up!

Is there anything that can be done so we can run both PTS and our regular clients? Being penalized for being on PTS by missing labor regen on the regular servers sucks in a fairly major way.
Now I have to use a PC and a laptop at the same time.
The big difference between online/offline labour regen is artificially inflating played hours (and bad for the utility bill)

Trenjeska
12-15-2014, 09:42 AM
The snow looks nice, but is really really bright all the time. A bit dimming of the overal light level without hurting colors of non white objects would eb nice.

JerryBoyle
12-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Snow looks awesome when not moving, but when you move you'll realize it's just a filter on your screen. Also the ground remaining the same colors will likely break the immersion of the snow effect but I realize there's a reason why the ground is staying the same. Also the snow effects are affecting structures rendering properly on my end after alt tabbing.

AcidSLiM
12-15-2014, 10:03 AM
The falling snow just looks weird when you move the camera, itīs quite obvious that itīs just a filter. an option to turn that of would be nice i guess.

Desie
12-15-2014, 10:56 AM
IMO the lighting effects and brightness are way too high, and getting flashing effects from time to time. will try to capture screenshots and post. Even turned down gamma to -41 and still too bright hurts my eyes.

drakejax
12-15-2014, 11:36 AM
REMOVE THE DAMN SNOW!
its annoying as ♥♥♥♥

rbb138
12-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Realistically they can't do anything soon to change or improve the snow. It is what it is.

It's pretty cool for a while, but looses its charm in time. "Snow days" is probably the best way to go about it.

Thumbelina
12-15-2014, 12:21 PM
So umm, how does one get onto the public test server is there a guide or instructions some where you could link for us please

ironicsilence
12-15-2014, 12:41 PM
So umm, how does one get onto the public test server is there a guide or instructions some where you could link for us please
Heres a thread that contains answers to Frequently asked Questions
http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?140932-ArcheAge-Public-Test-Server-FAQ

Zallnessa
12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I think it looks great and hasn't affected my game play. It's so pretty!

FireCait
12-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the comments all! We've turned the snow off on PTS now.

scallonisi
12-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments all! We've turned the snow off on PTS now.

Will it eventually make it to the live servers (assuming the issues reported will be fixed)?

Varkrey
12-15-2014, 02:38 PM
The falling snow is annoying, but I like the filter on the ground and buildings. At least it goes away when you have something over your head.

Had no effect on performance for me.

Tyconis
12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UIDwDLGw0

Holy crap. takeitouttakeitout.

That looks horrible.

SOUP
12-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Holy crap. takeitouttakeitout.

That looks horrible.

It looks like a really cheap version of the windows 3.1 starfield screensaver.

Beast Salphira
12-15-2014, 07:05 PM
No issues with snow, maintained a my FPS and looked great.

talizzar
12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
I miss the snow. I thought it really made the game a fresh new experience. I hope we see it again on and off.

TheChoi
12-16-2014, 04:23 AM
WTB Client hack just for snow to show client side. ;(

Tyconis
12-16-2014, 09:07 AM
It looks like a really cheap version of the windows 3.1 starfield screensaver.

Thats what i was thinking.

Galix
12-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Some frame-rate/lag issues :)

Nochi
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Its a cool effect, I like how if under a bridge, you wont get snowed on.

But, I noticed a small drop in Fps

Maybe have the option to turn On/Off snow for users with less than optimal performing hardware

:cool:

CreativeAnarchy
12-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Let me have an option to turn it off.

Turning down the brightness did nothing for me.

When you interact with the priestess and auctioneer for the dailies, the close up of them is really jacked. Lots of blue and red and nothing like it really should be.

The snow itself just too bright for me.

If people want it then fine but give me an option to turn it off my screen. I don't want it in my game, I'd much rather go out side and play in the real stuff if I want snow.

Valara
12-16-2014, 08:02 PM
The snow looks awesome! I love it! I also like how it does not drop under bridges, fallen trees over paths, etc. I did not see a drop in FPS nor did I have any performance issues. I would suggest that the snow should only last about 10-20 minutes, then a short break, then snow again. :) like rain, but fluffy! :)

Faerunner
12-16-2014, 10:59 PM
I kinda like the effect (in the video, haven't gotten onto test yet) but agree there should be an option to show or hide weather effects (snow/rain/volcanic ash/whateverthey'retesting). And breaks in the snow might also be nice - see Ultima Online's weather... it rains/snows, but only for a little while and then it lets up. Otherwise, the screen feels really busy and as people have mentioned, it can be uncomfortable to view.

Threndor
12-17-2014, 02:23 AM
there was a short run on Calliel tonight and it was VERY bright. I was in Halcyona at the time and you couldn't see any flat-ish terrain difference (road/field/etc) all was uniformly bright white/yellow. Turning Gamma down to max negative had no effect except to turn character/NPC/buildings black... everything else was still overly bright.

For me? Unplayable. (all setting were initially all set to minimum, playing with those had no noticeable impact to brightness.

Shiverwind
12-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Missing the snow and only 8 days till christmas so no snow on live yet either WHYYYY

berry
12-18-2014, 08:57 PM
so that's now true much lag and crape snow at live FireCait‎

here2play
12-18-2014, 09:42 PM
The snow looks great. Now how do you turn it off? It's starting to make me feel sick looking at it and none of my friends or guild are playing because of it.

Taub
12-19-2014, 02:22 PM
So is it supposed to be this bright or is it just me?
http://i.imgur.com/hs2FkUA.jpg

Whimsical
12-19-2014, 02:43 PM
So is it supposed to be this bright or is it just me?
http://i.imgur.com/hs2FkUA.jpg

Not sure if it'll help but I saw a post earlier where someone said if you turn on HDR effects in the options it will make the snow less blindingly bright.

MessiroLIVE
12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
How to disable the Snow in ArcheAge - Easy and in 60 seconds - Have fun guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMihkH2WV0

Ria
12-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I can't use the level up commands. any idea why?

Redder
12-22-2014, 02:58 PM
hi all!

We've turned on the snow on the public test server to see what the impact is on your game performance.

don't like it, don't suit my eyes, how do we turn it off?