PDA

View Full Version : Incentive

Trixologist
12-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I think there should be an incentive of some sort to balance out the time spent in the test server away from the actual server.

We do not accrue 10 labor on live while in test. It makes it really hard to justify not just being in live - this might be my take on it but I believe a little something might help populate the test server a bit more.

HandOfJustice
12-19-2014, 04:50 PM
You get the normal 5 off line, people need to keep in mind that the test server is NOT to playplay on but to test stuff. Not just the stuff Trion needs tested but things we woulf like to try out but would be to costly or dangerous on the live server. Such as the best approach to a dock 'dry runs' or farming mobs in the PVP areAs just to name a few. The server gets wiped to often to actually play.

The point being, if you want to play, stick to live. If you want to explore ferric island then the test server is a good place as you risk nothing and are rewarded with nothing except intell

Musashi_Korian
12-20-2014, 07:03 AM
You get the normal 5 off line, people need to keep in mind that the test server is NOT to playplay on but to test stuff. Not just the stuff Trion needs tested but things we woulf like to try out but would be to costly or dangerous on the live server. Such as the best approach to a dock 'dry runs' or farming mobs in the PVP areAs just to name a few. The server gets wiped to often to actually play.

The point being, if you want to play, stick to live. If you want to explore ferric island then the test server is a good place as you risk nothing and are rewarded with nothing except intell

What do you mean it gets wiped too often? It hasnt been wiped at all.... XD but yeah it could get wiped at anytime... it is funny how some think its a good thing and will just be here forever.. its going ot be sad when they complain about a wipe when/if it happens :p Although I would like to think they wont do that as thatd just make it harder to test things as it is we hardly get much to use to even test things XD

Stonelotus
12-20-2014, 08:42 AM
for the record they can wipe the live servers at any time too.

Trixologist
12-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I feel like you mistake my request as one stemming from personal gain rather than one coming from a logical standpoint.

Testing requires data, ArcheAge requires people to stimulate the economy and to make a healthy server. The test server as we've seen has probably around 100 people (or less) testing it from time to time which is no where near enough to supply the economy with its needs to generate appropriate test cases and use cases for proper testing in the first place. Providing people with a "live server incentive" to spend their actual time on the test server may help make the choice of where to spend your time less of a no brainer. This would improve the quality of testing feedback Trion will obtain from this server as those generated now are not true, feasible or a realistic approach to testing a mass user environment based on labor.

For example: to replicate my actual setup in the game I'd need about 2 weeks of straight test server play to test scenarios that I come up with on a daily basis. And most of those are just from farming. Testing them in the wild is a completely different test case.

To put the concept more simply. A simple structure takes at least 300 raw stone to begin construction. Would I rather spend time grinding stone on a test server which as mentioned can be removed at any time or grinding it on the live server where at I at least earn back real labor and retain its permanency?

The request is for a small incentive to dedicate time away from play and progression in the game. There probably wouldn't be a request if AA wasn't based on labor, but it is.

If Fluffy had more adhoc commands maybe this wouldn't be a concern. "Fluffy generate 100K Ginseng" "Fluffy build Thatched"

Meditrina
12-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I myself am not going to ask for any incentive per say. However, being given daily mails with credits and gold and have EVERYTHING seeded into the AH for mere copper. As well as a 2000 labor per 10m recharge. I feel then we coudl actual "test" stuff. I am not going to spend weeks grinding out a mansion with the current labor and making packs and farming and doing my crow quests. If they "want" me to do such things. They could help start us out better and remove the labor wall. This is for testing and playing around. When they want stuff tested then they can make requests. Like a mining day for data or other things. I am sure a lot of people would be willing to help the game we play when asked to do so. What boggles my mind. Is I have seen people in the test server actually talking like making gold is necessary. Someone was asking to trade an item, so I joked I would pay him one gold. He said it was not enough. I was like this is a test server gold is not an issue or a concern for gaining personal wealth. And several people jumped on me about that and that I should not be given stuff for free.

While some things should obviously be tested. Like do trees really proc for TS? is the math showing correct? Yes we need to plant trees and wait for them to grow up. But I personally need a non labor wall to be able to level skills up that are needed past the 50k mark and a farmers work station and gold to buy trees and vocation. to use teh farmers work stations. With teh ability to mass plant we will not need to spend days doing teh crow quests. just build a house or give us a huge labor pool to quickly be able to do some stuff. Now I need to be afk on the live server and afk on the test server as a patron. On live server i am mass farming tree lots. need all the labor i can store up. Not going to afk in a test sever or plant 500 trees and hope no one uproots or chops them down first just to level logging.

Stonelotus
12-21-2014, 01:40 PM
you were doing so well until that last sentence :\

level logging fluffy.

Meditrina
12-22-2014, 06:03 PM
you were doing so well until that last sentence :\

level logging fluffy.

The fluffy command only takes you to 50k. The pine trwe bundles are at 60k. So the fluffy command is not an end all be all to get to "testing". Still need to plant and harvest 10k worth of trees as well as planting a billion trees to try to get TS to be able to build things like fishing boats. Siege gear etc. And then there is the fact if i plant all that. No garuntee someone will not come by and harvest/ uproot....cause they can.

Kaytrada
12-23-2014, 11:05 AM
I feel like you mistake my request as one stemming from personal gain rather than one coming from a logical standpoint.

Testing requires data, ArcheAge requires people to stimulate the economy and to make a healthy server. The test server as we've seen has probably around 100 people (or less) testing it from time to time which is no where near enough to supply the economy with its needs to generate appropriate test cases and use cases for proper testing in the first place. Providing people with a "live server incentive" to spend their actual time on the test server may help make the choice of where to spend your time less of a no brainer. This would improve the quality of testing feedback Trion will obtain from this server as those generated now are not true, feasible or a realistic approach to testing a mass user environment based on labor.

For example: to replicate my actual setup in the game I'd need about 2 weeks of straight test server play to test scenarios that I come up with on a daily basis. And most of those are just from farming. Testing them in the wild is a completely different test case.

To put the concept more simply. A simple structure takes at least 300 raw stone to begin construction. Would I rather spend time grinding stone on a test server which as mentioned can be removed at any time or grinding it on the live server where at I at least earn back real labor and retain its permanency?

The request is for a small incentive to dedicate time away from play and progression in the game. There probably wouldn't be a request if AA wasn't based on labor, but it is.

If Fluffy had more adhoc commands maybe this wouldn't be a concern. "Fluffy generate 100K Ginseng" "Fluffy build Thatched"

I agree with most of what you say but the population is actually alot bigger than you may think on PTS. The guild I was in; The Fluffy Is A Lie (you may have heard of them ;D) had atleast 270 members the last time I checked and it was growing pretty consistantly. Yes there may have been members that logged on a few times and never again but there are still alot of easterners that weren't in the guild aswell as medium sized western guilds (VSall and others). I think it's all perspective as implementing such commands as "fluffy give 100k ginseng" could deprive people from ever even needing to go mine, farm ect... which could also be considered testing. If there was a problem with the exeloch mine and people could just "give 100 anya ingots fluffy" why would anybody bother going to the mine? I think keeping the PTS open would allow people to get such materials to do alot without the need of using scripts to do it for you as you lose out on alot of "testing".

Stonelotus
12-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I agree with most of what you say but the population is actually alot bigger than you may think on PTS. The guild I was in; The Fluffy Is A Lie (you may have heard of them ;D) had atleast 270 members the last time I checked and it was growing pretty consistantly. Yes there may have been members that logged on a few times and never again but there are still alot of easterners that weren't in the guild aswell as medium sized western guilds (VSall and others). I think it's all perspective as implementing such commands as "fluffy give 100k ginseng" could deprive people from ever even needing to go mine, farm ect... which could also be considered testing. If there was a problem with the exeloch mine and people could just "give 100 anya ingots fluffy" why would anybody bother going to the mine? I think keeping the PTS open would allow people to get such materials to do alot without the need of using scripts to do it for you as you lose out on alot of "testing".

This. Not to mention, diverting developer's time to creating scripts so players wouldn't have to put any effort into anything is just ridiculous.

I had no problem getting my 8x8, 16x16, a completed cottage, a completed thatched farmhouse, farm cart, eznan cutter, farmer's workstation, aquafarm, and a lot more done. Had over 25k vocation badges on my main char. Kept all taxes covered. This was all solo, no helping hand from guildies and I still was able to contribute to getting our main castle built in time for a siege and throw guildies a helping hand here and there.

There is a lot more good that could be accomplished by simply keeping the PTS up instead of just handing people whatever they want.

Shantar
12-23-2014, 07:34 PM
The idea of the server is to test the new content and any added commands or tools that can help that are welcome, anything else, like building a house etc is just fun stuff. People need to stop treating and thinking of it as another way to play the complete type game, that's what your main server is for. It will never have an economy either because of the bot commands etc.

Stonelotus
12-23-2014, 08:23 PM
The idea of the server is to test the new content and any added commands or tools that can help that are welcome, anything else, like building a house etc is just fun stuff content.

FTFY

/10char

Shantar
12-24-2014, 05:07 PM
FTFY

/10char

Gotta love the smartass poster...

ok then genuis, explain to me :-

a) Why did they take the test server down?

b) When do they plan to put it back up?

Stonelotus
12-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Gotta love the smartass poster...

ok then genuis, explain to me :-

a) Why did they take the test server down?

b) When do they plan to put it back up?

The Future of PTS and Extended Downtime (http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?146046-The-Future-of-PTS-and-Extended-Downtime-12-22-14&p=1358307&viewfull=1#post1358307)

Reading is fundamental.

Galix
12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Test is down. Can be wiped at any time :)