PDA

View Full Version : Want a house? Only have an 8x8? Read this!

Veerdin
12-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Alright, so it's no secret that most (all?) of the servers right now are undergoing a land crises. Land is at a premium, even the smallest house plots available are going for upwards of 1k a pop on some servers. The majority of land is owned by a minority of people, and most of us are forced to go without.

Or are we?

Even on the most tightly packed servers, it's usually possible to find a place for an 8x8. Sometimes you can even get lucky and get two 8x8's adjacent to one another, like me! But for this guide, you only need a single 8x8.

Here's what you'll need, in order of priority.

1x Free 8x8 plot.
1x Private sawmill station. (Buy from Mirage isle for 30 Gilda stars. 45 decor' slots available.)
100x Stone bricks
100x Lumber.
16x Merchant's Partitions. (Design available from merchants or mirage isle, 4 lumber per craft.)
1x Merchant's lavish bed. (Design available from merchants or mirage isle, requires 5k carpentry.)
Any regal workstations you need (I could fit 3 on mine, this may vary depending on size.)
Additional decorations.

Once you have all your things, it's time to get started! First, go to your plot and place down your private sawmill station. Remember to position it so that it's easily accessible! You'll only be able to properly enter it from the staircase once we're done with this. Now, you'll need one stone pack and one lumber pack (in that order) to build the station.

Once it's built, it's time to start the walling process! Using your merchant's partitions, start lining the edge of your workstation, keeping them as far to the edge as possible while still retaining a nice, square shape. The ones at the back will overlap slightly, but this is fine.

http://puu.sh/dQDdp/2be39a1cba.png

All in all, this should use up 14 of your 16 partitions. Be sure to leave a nice big gap in the front for your staircase, so that you can still enter the building. Remember, you won't actually have a door, per say, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

http://puu.sh/dQE21/8e845cdce9.png

Now, time to place that most vital of housing equipment, the bed! My advice is to put this at the back of your new "house", nestle it up as close as you can into a corner. You'll see why in a moment, but for now, just trust me on this.

http://puu.sh/dQEhL/02eccfcabf.png

Now, you have three walls, an entrance, and a sleeping place! Great! You basically have a house, now! But who wants a house where any old creep can look into your front door and watch you sleeping? I sure don't. So that's why we have 2 partitions left over! Using these, you can build a handy little separation wall behind the sawmill desk and your bed. Bam! You just made yourself a cramped - but still serviceable - private bedroom!

http://puu.sh/dQEC5/c5888015a2.png

With the core stuff out the way, it's time to put down your regal crafting stations! Like I said, I was able to fit 3 in mine: An anvil, alchemy lab, and handicraft desk. You can probably get more in if you're very thrifty with your space usage, but I only needed these three.

http://puu.sh/dQESJ/94e5014981.pnghttp://puu.sh/dQEYF/bac2677fd1.png

Now, the final part! Decorating!

You should have enough space left over in your new "house" to place at least a few little flavour things. In mine, I was able to fit one chair, two candles, a kettle, and a tutor cushion, as well as two signs on the outside, and a fence (as mine is connected to my 8x8 garden next door.)

Depending on what you want out of this little home, you can probably get all sorts of things out of it, remember, you have 45 slots at your disposal, no reason not to use them all!

Once you've placed your final item down, you can sit back, relax, and admire your new home!

http://puu.sh/dQFo5/163fb7da33.png
http://puu.sh/dQFs1/2ae82d89e8.png
http://puu.sh/dQFvT/23fa2cd901.png

It may not have the space or prestige of a larger house, but you can still get all the same stuff out of it. Privacy, a bed, a workplace and a spot to relax in.

Hope this guide helped some of you homeless folk out there in getting a little relief from the land crises, if you want to show off your own little shack, you can do so in this thread!

Thanks for reading.

Traciatim
12-30-2014, 07:14 AM
or you know, since the population is plummeting and there is free land opening up all the time you could just go place a property down.

Gods Child
12-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Well done!

Molch
12-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Nice! ;) ...

tardreted
12-30-2014, 07:33 AM
ghetto housing much

Voluntaris
12-30-2014, 07:35 AM
I have not found land to be very hard to find and land for sale is much cheaper than 1k. I just bought a 16x16 farm with the design included for 299 gold. I also just recently placed a 24x24 thatched farm house in perinoir on open land.

Cool guide for setting up a mini "house" though.

Relient
12-30-2014, 08:14 AM
ooooo noice, pretty awesome :D

skinzee
12-30-2014, 08:55 AM
I have not found land to be very hard to find and land for sale is much cheaper than 1k. I just bought a 16x16 farm with the design included for 299 gold. I also just recently placed a 24x24 thatched farm house in perinoir on open land.

Cool guide for setting up a mini "house" though.

You are clearly not on Ollo.

skinzee
12-30-2014, 08:56 AM
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Kaosfury
12-30-2014, 08:58 AM
I like the guide. Appreciate it

ignitar
12-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Cool guide, but there are a ton of free plots opening, especially in auroria.

Siobhan
12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
For those who are saying "but land is opening!" So what? This is brilliant!

To the OP: Great idea for anyone who can't seem to find anything on their server.

Demure
12-30-2014, 10:16 AM
This is adorable. I will try this for luls.

Bandito
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
ghetto housing much

Call it what you want, at least the guy can think outside the box rather than sit in the forums trying to prove his manhood. Get over urself kid, you're the reason BC was invented, and sadly for all of us you are here.

Bandito
12-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Cool guide, but there are a ton of free plots opening, especially in auroria.

And who would want land there?

Maybe some forward thinking folks who plan to be around a year or so down the road. But as a start, this is an awesome idea. Didn't notice if it was said this was a peace zone but.... he has what he needs just like the big boys (so to say) and that's saying a lot for OP's ability to make things happen. In real life, OP would be one of the ones you would want to hire or work for. VISAwarriors may look good but most are just jerks with daddy's card in hand.

Kokua
12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
i find and give away 1-5 plots a week. i've sold tons of plots for 50-100g. the only land i ever bought is my current house, because i just love the location.
i was just recently given a free medium house (yes, built house, design include), and 2 free farms.
i sold the 3 plots for 140g total, and was easily able to find another 24x24 in a location i wanted.
land is not a problem on my server ;)

but i love that idea of yours. first time seeing something that creative.

Ilyanna
12-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Did you try fitting in 50 slot storage chests?
Because that is the biggest draw to a house for me.
Chests, bed, Alch table.

Rhime
12-30-2014, 12:11 PM
or you know, since the population is plummeting and there is free land opening up all the time you could just go place a property down.

Plummeting you say? Funny, I sign up a new member to the guild almost every day.
Show me your stats or where it says that the population is plummeting and I'll take your claim seriously.

talizzar
12-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Premium locations are being sold for under 300 gold now. Nice job though.

Veerdin
12-30-2014, 12:14 PM
You guys give me too much credit, hahaha, I didn't invent this idea: Seen people stick their beds and anvils and whatnot on their little personal sawmill and stonemason stations and the like, I just thought to myself: "Hey, maybe I can make a full "house" on one of those things."

It's cramped as hell but it works, glad you all like it!

If you guys want to see it, it's just north of Marianople on Tahyang, toward the eastern edge of the housing district there, behind the <Unforgiven> guild house.

xxxNEROxxx
12-30-2014, 12:19 PM
This is a genius idea, stop being humble you deserve kudos.

Graymayne
12-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the design.

felixthecoach
12-30-2014, 12:23 PM
This is super creative!

Klarick
12-30-2014, 12:24 PM

First to the OP. Very well done. This is one of the most creative things I have seen in game. Big points for thinking outside of the box.

To Traciatim: Source? Also, can you please point me in the direction of the "free land opening up all the time"? I'm on one of the newer servers and land is a premium.

Nightscream452
12-30-2014, 12:36 PM
This is awesome thinking outside the box! With a lot of potential to help newer players or players like me that can only play for a few hours a day, and don't have the time or money to go out and "Find" a plot to put their house on.

Very inventive.

Morrigan
12-30-2014, 12:45 PM
This is awesome thinking outside the box! With a lot of potential to help newer players or players like me that can only play for a few hours a day, and don't have the time or money to go out and "Find" a plot to put their house on.

Very inventive.

Any server, any pvp zone has land to spare.

@ OP seriously awesome

Simonz
12-30-2014, 01:01 PM
*thumbs up* This is actually a cool idea :)

Veerdin
12-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Did you try fitting in 50 slot storage chests?
Because that is the biggest draw to a house for me.
Chests, bed, Alch table.

You could likely fit one of these in pretty easily if you put less regal workstations in. The slot I put my handicraft desk in, for instance, could probably house a chest.

Ilyanna
12-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of chests you can place? Or do they just fall under the "45 decor items" limit in a house?

Stonelotus
12-30-2014, 08:09 PM
nice ummm... trailer?

seriously though, kudos on the creativity.

joeydtx
12-30-2014, 09:24 PM
That is so awesome! Do you mind sharing your location? I would love this creation in person

Torto
12-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Great idea and well done! And it gives a big F%*K YOU! to the greedy land barons.

To everyone saying buy land its cheap....your definition of cheap to those who have no gold differ slightly, try selling your properties for less. Love how the land barons think everyone is rich because they are.

To everyone saying there is plenty land available...come on to Ollo and show me. There are plenty of un-built houses and empty farms tho.

Autymnfyres
12-31-2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for sharing your creative idea Veerdin! I like it -- might give newer sub players a little bit of home while/until they find a piece of property they want which is larger. Besides, it fits into the whole ... 'path to greatness' idea that a lot of vet gamers enjoy where one starts out humbly and earns one's way to the higher echelons of greatness ;o)

Well done player-created content idea!

Gypsycurse
12-31-2014, 02:59 AM
@Veerdin This is fun, but you are on Tahyang...you can snag 16x16s fairly easily and if not can buy them for 300-450g in all but the most premium spots. 150-200g in Some PvP zones.

scallonisi
12-31-2014, 05:02 AM
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of chests you can place? Or do they just fall under the "45 decor items" limit in a house?

Each type of building has its own limit.
These 8x8 stations can have a maximum of 2 chests, which also count towards the max decor limit (i.e. if you have 43 items and add the 2 chests, you'll reach 45 decor).

About the OP: I've seen this idea being posted in past threads and I always like it. It's a really viable solution to the housing issue. The only drawback about the workstations is that you can't probably place +proficiency items down on it, but other than that they have the same functionality of a house (minus the space).

Personally I've opted for a lux house in a not-so-prestigious location (Perinoor), but if all were full, I'd have done something like this too.

Sirenia
12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
great thread, thanks for the idea! I had this 8x8 in a great spot but being an 8X* it never looked all that bling. but now I'm going to upgrade its appearance! I've seen ppl decorate their 8x8 but its usually pretty trashy (which is fine they are having fun). But this is the first one I've seen that looks nice.

Sirenia
12-31-2014, 12:13 PM
btw, if you happen to have a choice in the matter, don't try this with a private weaving loom. it won't let you walk around it. I only had a weaving loom so I don't really mind, but you can't partition it off and place a bed. I've had the weaving loom in my inventory for months now, so I don't really mind :) I plan to add some artwork over the next couple of weeks but I put up the partitions and some fencing to at least get it started.

ziboo
12-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Very clever use of land!

Mudbone827
01-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Kewl idea, tc for the share.

Firesparkz Lavawalker
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Hello OP,

Good to see some creativeness starting to shine through from people.

You can also expand your idea. It is possible to fit a 70 LP bed too.

The stone mason bench is similar to the Woodworkers station as is the loom;
The leather table takes up a bit more space and of course the forge furnace is a bit more restrictive.

However the 70 LP bed will fit on all of them.

It involves a pre-preparation step in your setup process.

Using the stackable boxes from mirage island. Placing your workstation at a 45 deg angle also.
The stackable boxes you use to build up a foundation temporarily of which the legs of your bed will sit on ... above the workstation work area, enough so your avatar just fits under it.

Yes it is a bed in the mid air area just above your head that you will get into and out of with ease by right clicking on it ;)
A hanging bed if you will without ropes *grins*

The angling the station allows for 6 plants be grown in each corner, or a small tree in each (Banana/fig/avocado/Bay/Grape/etc) or like plants place 6 small animals in each corner or 1 mid sized animal (Turkey/goat/sheep/etc)

The rest as you stated you use partitions & decorations all available designs or items themselves can be found in the houses on mirage island (Designs also from a carpenter npc).

Don't forget a nice little flower pot or two on the step sides to dress up your entry *grins*

The boxes you used in the pre step are removed once the bed and any other mid air items you wish to place are placed.

Have fun!

Be creative in the shoebox you setup for your Avatar's alter egos, they all must sleep too ;)

http://www.coolbusinessideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Living-In-a-ShoeBox.jpg

Sucuri
01-04-2015, 07:45 PM
I found the person who used their 8x8 in this post far more effective :p

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?146136-Ultra-Efficient-8x8

Dundun
01-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Land crisis? There is no land crisis, it's a land grabbing hack crisis. A handful of people own about 75% of land on your server through various accounts and alts. Believe.

Veerdin
01-04-2015, 09:52 PM
In a sad, but also happy, announcement, I have to say that Fade's Blades, the tiny shack outside Marianople, has been dismantled, as I have (finally) gained a full 16x16 plot thanks to the generosity of a guild mate.

This guide, and the pictures, will stay on this thread for anybody still stuck with only an 8x8, though. I'm glad everybody's like it, so far.

Firesparkz Lavawalker
01-04-2015, 11:15 PM
I found the person who used their 8x8 in this post far more effective :p

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?146136-Ultra-Efficient-8x8

http://i.imgur.com/0W49kui.jpg

HAHA! LMAO! That is pretty damn funny in an unorgansied sort of way. Talk about pack rat hehe :D

maiyah
01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
HAHA! LMAO! That is pretty damn funny in an unorgansied sort of way. Talk about pack rat hehe :D

I'm sure the neighbors just love that view, piano and all. Hehehe.

Gusy
01-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Well, to be fair, seeing as it took several hours to figure out how to get everything on it, it is just about as organized as possible. It looks horrendous, I agree :), but try getting every single station onto the first floor of one, and you'll see that your option's are pretty limited, and everything has to fit together just right.

I'm sure the neighbors just love that view, piano and all. Hehehe.

:) I wanted it to look as not-ugly as possible, yet still be as useful as possible, so the roof was originally empty.

The long story is that we originally had all stations except the salvage forges shared publicly via my front-row house nearby. You'd be surprised how often you miss one little ingredient when crafting, though. It was 100% luck that this, the closest spot to the auctioneer, opened up. We didn't notice it, and were just standing around when some random person told us about it. I didn't even remember their name (Sorry because I owe you one, whoever you are.)

Having the plot right there makes the entire thing so much more convenient. Yea, I was worried about the ugliness, but I've gotten many "thanks!" and never a single complaint. I put the piano up per a neighbor's suggestion who has very high artistry, and didn't think it was possible until I did it. Then people couldn't figure out the right spot to jump to get there and play, so I gave in and put up the stairs. Later on we were making some real estate plays and I thought it would be best to have a temporary home, so that's when everything else went on the roof.

The TLDR is that I have do have a house just a few feet away. This cost 2k for the stations alone, plus a whole lot of time, and I haven't heard a complaint.

We tried to make some plays for the land behind it to get something prettier up, but that hasn't happened yet. We have three or four fantastic guilds all vying for real estate in what is ostensibly the best neighborhood in the West, so I consider us exceedingly lucky to have been able to contribute :) but, yea, I should probably clear off the roof in good taste.

Durdles
01-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Hello OP,

Good to see some creativeness starting to shine through from people.

You can also expand your idea. It is possible to fit a 70 LP bed too.

The stone mason bench is similar to the Woodworkers station as is the loom;
The leather table takes up a bit more space and of course the forge furnace is a bit more restrictive.

However the 70 LP bed will fit on all of them.

It involves a pre-preparation step in your setup process.

Using the stackable boxes from mirage island. Placing your workstation at a 45 deg angle also.
The stackable boxes you use to build up a foundation temporarily of which the legs of your bed will sit on ... above the workstation work area, enough so your avatar just fits under it.

Yes it is a bed in the mid air area just above your head that you will get into and out of with ease by right clicking on it ;)
A hanging bed if you will without ropes *grins*

The angling the station allows for 6 plants be grown in each corner, or a small tree in each (Banana/fig/avocado/Bay/Grape/etc) or like plants place 6 small animals in each corner or 1 mid sized animal (Turkey/goat/sheep/etc)

The rest as you stated you use partitions & decorations all available designs or items themselves can be found in the houses on mirage island (Designs also from a carpenter npc).

Don't forget a nice little flower pot or two on the step sides to dress up your entry *grins*

The boxes you used in the pre step are removed once the bed and any other mid air items you wish to place are placed.

Have fun!

Be creative in the shoebox you setup for your Avatar's alter egos, they all must sleep too ;)

http://www.coolbusinessideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Living-In-a-ShoeBox.jpg

Can you post an image of what you describe above? I don't get it.

Poppaea
01-05-2015, 01:42 PM
In a sad, but also happy, announcement, I have to say that Fade's Blades, the tiny shack outside Marianople, has been dismantled, as I have (finally) gained a full 16x16 plot thanks to the generosity of a guild mate.

Congratz and thanks for the post.

Rattus
01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
While land is (at least on my server) not at all hard to come by anymore, I find this to be an interesting way to patch together a house on a small plot.

SteveT
01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Very innovative....well done and thank you for posting.

Huldrelokk
01-06-2015, 08:54 AM
HAHAHAHAAH best way for who no have house, better than stay in the streets

Aeducan76
01-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Lol that is so well done.

Reminds me of the creativity ppl had in UO when decorating their houses.

Keep it up - post more creative housing ideas!

HikariItsumo
01-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Awesome !

Thanks for sharing.

Hodor69
09-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Very cool and bumping for new players.

Can make a roof out of boxes you buy on mirage, too.

Sergeo
09-28-2015, 09:33 AM
couldn't get a house so he built an apartment, I like it.

Etcher
09-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Very cool and ingenious. I currently have three farms and am wanting a house mainly for a chest but I might build one of these. I prefer to use my land for farming. It's not just the landless who could benefit from this.

Herschel02
09-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Wow thumbs up to this lol!

deadq
09-29-2015, 03:19 AM
great post !!!

Careby
09-29-2015, 03:28 AM

You can put up to two regular chests and one otherworld chest on a private workstation.

The only thing really lacking is a fireplace for teleport, which may or may not be a big deal depending on your location. In addition to memory tomes, you might be able to find a house or fellowship plaza nearby with permissions set to public (or guild if you are in one) that you can use for teleporting.

Galadriane
09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
awesome! you've achieved more with those 2 8x8 than some people do with their 500 gilda mansions and castles! nice work, very ingenious and creative :-)