PDA

View Full Version : "Overwhelm" just straight up not hitting things!?

Veerdin
01-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Since starting my launch character, I've rolled a mix of Battlerage and Shadowplay together as my main build. I trade out the third skill as I need, but those two are a great, potent mix.

Now, as anybody who uses this combo knows, the Shadowplay skill "Overwhelm" is a pretty crucial part to any damage-centric melee build, and even some ranged builds. It combos nicely with Stalker's mark and a lot of other skills, its a distance closer, and gives you a few precious moments of stun time to deal some nasty damage to whoever you're attacking.

Except, sometimes, it just straight up ♥♥♥♥ing doesn't hit anything.

I'm not talking about an official "Miss" or "Evade" or something, I'm talking about hitting the skill, watching my character leap forward, weapon drawn, and watching him land on a patch of empty space while some circle-strafing Daggerspell or Primeval has already started their stunlock rotation, and by that stage, I'm pretty ♥♥♥♥ing screwed, because most of my hardest hitting combo relies on being able to hit and stun my opponent for a few crucial seconds.

Why is this? None of the other distance closer abilities have this problem. Charge, Tiger Strike, you name it, it all works perfectly fine. But Overwhelm appears to work like a targeted AOE attack rather than the targeted single strike it's supposed to be.

I don't know if this is a glitch, to do with my latency, or if for some unholy reason it's a "feature" in the loosest quotation marks possible, but it's gotten me killed more times than I'd care to admit. Most of the time my PVP fights are fairly balanced, but on those occasions where my Overwhelm just fails to hit anything but thin air, it's pretty much a death sentence for me unless I'm fighting somebody massively incompetent.

Again, this isn't the attack registering as a miss or my target evading, this is a single, targeted strike ability being executed... And literally hitting nothing.

Does anybody else have this problem? And for god's sake, is it getting fixed? Circle strafing archers have enough power over melee classes as it is.

Crazy Mike
01-12-2015, 02:38 PM
if someone gets out of range when you activate it before it hits them it wont do anything

Zenhii
01-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Pre-emptive shrug it of?

KanonXO
01-13-2015, 07:46 AM
if someone gets out of range when you activate it before it hits them it wont do anything

This. Check to see if they are back dropping or teleporting when you use it. Primes will always teleport out of range after you tigerstrike,so if you follow up with overwhelm it will whiff. Charge is the same way btw. Change up your rotation, there's nothing easier than fighting an obvious darkrunner. Stop opening with Mark, ts, overwhelm.

fireball24
01-13-2015, 08:45 PM
This. Check to see if they are back dropping or teleporting when you use it. Primes will always teleport out of range after you tigerstrike,so if you follow up with overwhelm it will whiff. Charge is the same way btw. Change up your rotation, there's nothing easier than fighting an obvious darkrunner. Stop opening with Mark, ts, overwhelm.
Lol I find this story funny if I were u I would attempt to get a sleep or some kind of cc to guarentee it will be a hit without it ur shadowsmite wondering add a trip to the combo but to be honest u can live without overwelm charge and triple slash work just well idk if u said u use battle rage but if u don't just ignore that

KanonXO
01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Lol I find this story funny if I were u I would attempt to get a sleep or some kind of cc to guarentee it will be a hit without it ur shadowsmite wondering add a trip to the combo but to be honest u can live without overwelm charge and triple slash work just well idk if u said u use battle rage but if u don't just ignore that

I can't even respond to you because I have no idea what the hell you're saying. I'm not one to go grammar police on the Internet but periods at least dude.

Imara
01-13-2015, 10:04 PM
It works like that because of how the game's physics engine is. It's the reason why someone dropping back or getting out of range in that half second avoids it, or if the person is constantly moving. Overwhelm work's on where the Target is at that precise time, not on where the character model itself is. IE: A Daggerspell strafing to either the right or left may not get hit by Overwhelm depending on how far they are from you. Max range is easy to avoid because the ability targets the Location your target was at when you used the ability.

It's like when you are on a moving boat, and you get off the wheel, buff up, and then try to get back on without moving in front of the wheel. You cant because the Physics Engine is registering Your Character model at the point you clicked the wheel, which by the time the command goes through, is a few meters behind where your character model now is. The Engine Archage use's is trash, but sadly it's what we got stuck with.

Crazy Mike
01-13-2015, 10:21 PM
its the same principle for almost all other abilities, if the target moves too far away after activating a skill it will have no effect, for example if someone tries to concussive arrow you from the archery tree, and your riding away and get out of range it wont do anything