PDA

View Full Version : Is Occultism Any Good For Mage?

Battlemage
01-14-2015, 08:33 AM
so i made a new character and i want to play as a mage i took occultism for my first skillset but im doubting it because the first skills like mana stars and crippling mire... mana stars because it does little dmg and crippling mire because if the opponent is close to me my health drops a quarter AND its cooldown time is anoying because if i have multiple targets i have to wait 15 seconds and then i can cast. (if i last that long in close combat)
btw i dont want any melee skillsets! also are the cooldowns lower when u get better skills?

Dremlock
01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
are the cooldowns lower when u get better skills?

no

Is Occultism Any Good For Mage?

also no

Zenhii
01-14-2015, 09:10 AM
It has one realy good skill "Hell spears". Mana force is also good but the cooldown is too long. Telekinesis is really fun but impractical and with a long cooldown. Manastars are ok-ish as filler/kiting. Retribution is too unreliable. Summon crows is pretty good against melee. Summon wraith is amazing against people who lacks the presence of mind to interrupt you (so, super situational and lose effectiveness the more competent your opponent is). The mana cost of skills are overall pretty high.
All the good passives require you to be (critically) hit, which you generally want to avoid as a mage.

So ya, tree is pretty weaksauce.

Aeturnus
01-14-2015, 09:43 AM
All the good passives require you to be (critically) hit, which you generally want to avoid as a mage.

Just a tiny reminder: You can bypass that requirement with Resurgence, granted that it procs a critical heal on you.

MagnumMack
01-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Telekinesis is the most understated skill. Let's say you blow a rotation and they are just under half health. All your CD's are up. Cast Telekinesis. Kills time to get your CD's back up. Go again. Bam. In a group and have a runner? Snag him. Brig him away from the pack. Tele a healer and watch his crew melt. See someone near a cliff? I tele and just drag them over and down the edge. They want back up on a glider?Mana stars kills that and Mana Force back off. Sorry, no gliders here.

Occ is great when used as intended. The passives I am seriously debating though... Works well for tanks tog et some dmg boost though.

Dremlock
01-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Telekinesis is the most understated skill. Let's say you blow a rotation and they are just under half health. All your CD's are up. Cast Telekinesis. Kills time to get your CD's back up. Go again. Bam. In a group and have a runner? Snag him. Brig him away from the pack. Tele a healer and watch his crew melt. See someone near a cliff? I tele and just drag them over and down the edge. They want back up on a glider?Mana stars kills that and Mana Force back off. Sorry, no gliders here.

Occ is great when used as intended. The passives I am seriously debating though... Works well for tanks tog et some dmg boost though.

tele is an awesome skill no doubt but it's not enough to make occultism as competitive as other trees.

Durdles
01-14-2015, 11:20 AM
There are a few nice skills in Occ, but if used as your "main" skill it's better used for a tank. However, where it shines for a mage is the passive skills. It gives a huge increase in damage and crits if you take a little damage.

So if you want to hit as hard as possible, grab sorcery and occ, use sorc for your mage skills and the occ passives for the damage. Going this route won't leave you many points for a 3rd skill class, but you'll cast some wicked spells if you can manage the points.

vajtswv
01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
OCcUlt iS a nice class to play

can farm certain elite mobs in auroria around 70-90 half an hour using nighcloak, plays just like a prime instead of endless arrows , you get mana stars, for me it does more dps than spamming flamebolt and i can move and take no dmg...

MagnumMack
01-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Endless arrows is so much faster though... The soulbane gloves might add a little bit more damage but not sure if it's enough for the cost.

IAmMeta
01-14-2015, 01:21 PM
so i made a new character and i want to play as a mage i took occultism for my first skillset but im doubting it because the first skills like mana stars and crippling mire... mana stars because it does little dmg and crippling mire because if the opponent is close to me my health drops a quarter AND its cooldown time is anoying because if i have multiple targets i have to wait 15 seconds and then i can cast. (if i last that long in close combat)
btw i dont want any melee skillsets! also are the cooldowns lower when u get better skills?

Defiler is a great class, occultism centered. You're this close range AoE magic/cc tank-ish sort of class. In 5v5 arena, they are game changers if on a team, geared up, and not controlled properly since they can really disable a lot of people at once.

Myrgatroid
01-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Funny I read this. Just 2 nights ago enjoying some pvp in hasla, there was a mage targeting me as I was escaping on my glider, and he was casting mana stars to try to drop me in 2 darkrunners. Fortunately, rocking Ezi's, so popped invinc and escaped to the Nui. So unless they are using Ezi's, ms/mf will work well for ya.

Qalamity
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Hordebreaker(dps anti-magic mage), Defiler(overall cc tank), Dreadnaught(magic, semi-mobile bruiser), Doomlord(anti-melee mage tank), and Ravager(super glass cannon, high burst mage) are all fun occultism classes :D

Skullknight works great, but I can't say it's too much fun tbh lol

Daccat
01-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Occultism :
- Not a good main tree.
- Some good skill.
- Better for melee class.

Orio
01-15-2015, 07:58 AM

I run Cultist. Sorcery, Occultism, Vitalism. Mainly its a mage focused on PVE, while doing a lot of AOE damage.

Main combos are centered around lightning damage + Impale. I will explain.

a) I start with Magic Circle to improve DPS.
b) Meteor - mainly used for aggro
c) Skewer - As the NPCs are tripped you have plenty of time to click and target. If they are aggroed on you, you need to target slightly in front of you to impale them.
d) Chain lightning - Instant spell, comboes with "Impaled" debuff so you do a lot more damage.
e) Hell spear - Another instant spell which comboes with "Impaled" debuff.
f) Summon crows - Comboes with "Impaled" and causes "poisoned".
g) Summon Wraith - Causes "Slow" on all actions the enemy NPCs are doing.

First two skills I use have cast time, rest are instants. It requires ingame skill to perform it correctly (something that people fail to acknowledge). If performed correctly it does about 25-35k of damage to each creature in the range (Based on my gear. My staff has only 256 magic damage. I also tested it on creatures with 18k HP and they were dead before I get to the summon crows).

Meteor + Skewer takes about 6-8 seconds depending on your cast time. Rest is instant and can be used within 2,5s before skewer wears off.

Creatures which are still not dead are:
3s tripped (Meteor)
2,5s impaled (Skewer)
2,5s impaled (Hell spear)
9 secs slowed (Summon wraith)

and have:
Shock debuff for some time (Chain lightning)
Poisoned debuff for 5 secs (impaled + crows)
(This combination deals about 400-500 dmg second)

I also use Retribution to deal some extra dmg in case when NPCs are fast enough to hit me. In this situation, its you who is aggroing creatures, and you are primary target for the healer (if you have some).

Plate Lake set should be good for this (as you need some extra protection and HP), but I use Lake cloth and Meadow cloth.

Once skewer hits the creatures, the rest of party can do their part as well, and are perfectly protected for next few seconds by CC effects from occultism.

On discussion whether its main tree or not...

I have 8 skill points in sorcery:
My main attack spell is Flamebolt. The method I described requires also Insulating lens. Arc Lightning does also Lot of damage. For now (before uprade the staff) I require Magic Circle. Chain lightning and Meteor are self explanatory.

I also have extended range for sorcery spells, and Mana flurry for faster cast time.

Then I have 7 points in occultism:
Hell spear, Summon Crows, Telekinesis, Retribution, Stillness, Summon Wraith and Casters Enrichment.

and 8 points in Vitalism:
Antithesis, Mirror light, Resurgence, Revive, Skewer, mend, Fervent healing, Aims.

Skills which decrease cast time are passively increasing DPS for Flamebolt. My current cast time is 77.2 and I want to decrease it further. I run it like this because our guild lacks full time cleric.

Battlemage
01-16-2015, 08:44 AM
ok im going to say that ill just go with a cultist so i can heal myself and combo skewer with hell spears as-well
i also have sorcery for aoe and shielding

draciele
01-21-2015, 05:14 PM
so many just uninformed people in here...yikes. occultism is indeed a great choice for a mage. generally i use 3 skills out of it: mana stars, hell spear and telekinesis. depending on how you are set up, you could do stuff like hellspear+crows after a vicious implosion, mana force after a fear for extra mana regen (and pushing off bridges/cliffs) and various other things that make it a useful utility to accent your other skills.

to the poster that talked about defiler: defiler is a great spec indeed, i run it quite often. however, and i willl stress this, it is NOT an occultism focused spec. you need a minimum of 10 skill points in defense and 10 skill points in witchcraft. the fact that defiler is called a cc tank should tell you what it is focused on: defense and witchcraft ccs.

Twilightmagus
01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Defiler is an amazing class and it takes the few good occultism skills. Honestly the tree got hit with the nerf bat pretty hard. The only good skills anymore are hellspears, summon crows, summon wraith, stillness, and occasionally mana stars.

Bhadow
01-21-2015, 08:57 PM

It really isn't much good unless you have stealth because for occultism you really need to get that "first blow" in order to gank people to your advantage therefor with stealth you can easily sneak up on people and then pull off the hell spears into crows (which is in my opinion the only good combo that you can get with occultism at low levels) and then do some improvisation like the original ice nove to fire wall and finish them off woth backflip fire balls...

Spyrit
01-21-2015, 09:16 PM
It has one realy good skill "Hell spears". Mana force is also good but the cooldown is too long. Telekinesis is really fun but impractical and with a long cooldown. Manastars are ok-ish as filler/kiting. Retribution is too unreliable. Summon crows is pretty good against melee. Summon wraith is amazing against people who lacks the presence of mind to interrupt you (so, super situational and lose effectiveness the more competent your opponent is). The mana cost of skills are overall pretty high.

So ya, tree is pretty weaksauce.

Songcraft has a passive if you're critical hit by magic, it includes heals and bread, do those passive proc the same way?