PDA

View Full Version : 100% tank build?

Veerdin
01-27-2015, 10:33 AM
So I'm looking for a 100% tank build right now. I've got a pretty good thing going as a blighter, but that is more of a damage/tank hybrid. I'm looking for something to roll that is 100% pure damage sponge/aggro.

My guild needs a tank to run Serpentis with, last time we tried it, the tank we had couldn't hold aggro and everybody died.

So, in light of this, what is the best class/skill combo for being 100% survivability and aggro generation? Thanks!

pokeyblood
01-27-2015, 11:03 AM
abolisher prob. bull rush > shrug it off > mocking howl with 3k mettle does wonders in holding aggro

Gamemako
01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Skullknight, Abolisher, Templar. Defense + Auramancy + an appropriate third skillset in Battlerage, Occultism, or Vitalism (yes, healing works, though it requires a bit of patience on the initial aggro gain). Since you're geared as a Blighter, you're probably going to go with Abolisher.

If you want a more novel approach, you could also try something like Justicar, but last I checked, most strategies really prefer lots of Auramancy.

Kinyo
01-27-2015, 01:25 PM
This is the build I run for Serpentis:
http://www.growlgate.com/calc/index.php?build=016.1os8.1^hQ.12H0

You'll switch points around depending on the room, for instance the first room you don't need wings but blink comes in handy for those "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments. And some rooms you need wings but not blink. For the last boss you need a lot in Auramancy and I actually end up making sure I refresh refreshment then spec out of it to have that extra point.

A templar will always tank this best but my group does fine with the setup of: 1 tank, 2 healers, 1 buff bot, 6 DPS.

Skullknight can't tank anything PvE related but is infact the best PvP tank for small to large group pvp.

The best PvE tanks are Templar, Paladin, and Abolisher; Auramancy is a must for tanking because of the utility, wings, and aggro generation.

Woe
01-27-2015, 01:56 PM
If you're looking for 100% pure tank, someone else already said it: abolisher, templar, skullknight. Abolisher and templar will get you through most anything you want to tank in this game, but skullknight is really handy for any bosses that require more mobility. Templar I've found to be the most useful class for most world bosses.

In serpentis specifically, I find abolisher and skullknight work best in the rooms where you need a tank. In rooms 1 and 5, I play abolisher. In room 6, I play skullknight. Rooms 2 and 4 vary depending on what we get, and ofc room 3 doesn't need a tank at all due to the wings rotation method. I also vary my particular abolisher builds depending on what room I'm in and which boss we get for room 5.

Here are a few notes on builds for different rooms:
Room 1 - Abolisher is most comfortable for me here, but skullknight would do just as well. You need to have a fair bit of side to side mobility if you want to dodge the fist, and templar won't give you that. My best weapon is a sword (divine delphi) so abolisher works best for me here since my own dps will help me keep aggro. In terms of aggro gen skills, I choose bullrush, boastful roat+shrug it off, vicious implosion, and the guardian passive. I do not get mocking howl for this room just in the small chance someone or myself ♥♥♥♥s up somewhere, and I accidentally wind up taunting the 2nd boss with it. It shouldn't happen, but since I don't have trouble maintaining aggro without mocking howl, I'd rather play it safe.
Room 2 - MOST of the time I won't be a tank at all in this room. Usually everyone specs into dps except for 1 healer and the bard, and we just nuke the mobs. I usually change into thaumaturge (sorc, def, aura) with minor aggro gen skills so that I can pull a few stray mobs if need be, however. I go abolisher for this room only if we get the version where lerman summons mobs in waves, and we get another guardian mini boss at the end. In this case, I DO spec into mocking howl.
Room 3 - Not a tank in this room. I spec entirely into sorc and aura for this one.
Room 4 - Almost always a thaumaturge in this room, similar to room 2 most of the party goes range dps.
Room 5 - Abolisher for Carmila and Fangbow. If Fangbow, I ensure I have teleport, tiger strike, and lasso. If Carmila, I get more pure dps skills. In terms of aggro gen skills (for both) I have the guardian passive, bull rush, vicious implosion, boastful roar+shrug it off. Otherwise, I spec into anything that will increase my survivability to help my healers. I do NOT get mocking howl, since it can mess with the snakes/nagas for Fangbow/Carmila if they manage to spawn at the same time I taunt, and even with 29k hp, it can be annoying if not fatal to have to tank them all+boss. If Lerman, I go sorc+aura again and am not a tank. Do NOT go templar for this room for ANY boss, especially Carmila. Carmila has a nasty debuff which gets thrown under the healer with the highest aggro gen, and if you are tanking as a templar, you will get this debuff and most likely die because of it. Templar doesn't have enough mobility to keep up with Fangbow, and you'll be almost entirely useless (aside from wings) at Lerman as a templar.
Room 6 - I'm skull knight. I get anything to increase aggro gen and survivability and basically spam mana stars and aggro rotations while dodging fireballs and moving the boss. This fight is all about mobility from a tank perspective. Aggro gen wise, I get the same as before: Bullrush, the guardian passive, vicious implosion, and boastful roar+shrug it off. I again do not get mocking howl, since the mob spawns can be thrown off by it, and I even avoid using vicious implosion as much to avoid accidentally mispositioning mobs at the start. Templar: You can play this room as templar, but it is MUCH MUCH more difficult due to the lack of mobility of the templar class.

Overall key things with tanking serpentis:
-You won't always be tanking. You need to be able to spec into dps.
-Mobility is king.
-Avoid the mentality that you need to tank everything, even the rooms where you will be tanking a boss. Most of the mob spawns during boss fights should NOT be tanked by you.

But yea, there are a few of my notes/observations/opinions, and I have never had trouble maintaining aggro in Serpy or otherwise (unless I'm drunk heh)

Calibix
01-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Skullknight can't tank anything PvE related but is infact the best PvP tank for small to large group pvp.

That's just a flat lie. I tank everything fine as a Skullnight, and hold better agro than better geared melee tanks. They are the best tanks for pvp though, I agree with that.

Kinyo
01-27-2015, 02:03 PM
That's just a flat lie. I tank everything fine as a Skullnight, and hold better agro than better geared melee tanks. They are the best tanks for pvp though, I agree with that.

I did exaggerate a bit, SK would be great for the AoE rooms but as you said most groups just spec DPS and burn everything, tank is so rarely needed. But in general SK tank doesn't hold a candle to the other tanks, IMO.

kalasag24
01-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Picking Paladin over Skullknight is a lie and misleading, I play both and SK definitely plays the role better, mobile range magic class with aoe cc isn't comparable to how a Paladin is played. I've tanked Serpentis as a Skullknight several times while even wearing cloth and it was easy. Abolisher would probably be the closest comparison to a Skullknight.

Sevrent
01-28-2015, 11:07 AM
You can run a Dreambreaker as well.

Calibix
01-28-2015, 12:56 PM
You can run a Dreambreaker as well.

While I actually like tanking as a Dreambreaker, it doesn't generate the aggro a Skullnight does. Mana Star spam + Shrug/Boastful + passives OP.

Bichento
01-28-2015, 02:13 PM
So, in light of this, what is the best class/skill combo for being 100% survivability and aggro generation? Thanks!

Defense, Auramancy, Vitalism.

Grip
01-29-2015, 11:55 PM
This is the build I run for Serpentis:
http://www.growlgate.com/calc/index.php?build=016.1os8.1^hQ.12H0

Huge lie, I know skullknights in game that tank world bosses ez