PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out what to plant/farm (Lots of new land)

ChrisIsBored
02-03-2015, 04:49 AM
So, in the span of a month I went from owning 2 8x8's and using part of a guild mates land... to now owning 2 Gazebo's & 3 x 16x16's all next to each other. I accomplished this because my guild has pretty much left the game, giving me 2 properties that I was easily able to convert into gazebo's and then buying out 2 other neighbors. This was pretty much all accomplished just this week.

Now that I finally have land in this game (been playing since headstart), i'm a little overwhelmed with what to plant. I started with Cheese larders, and a bunch of cow pens, but i've noticed these things are highly labor intensive and heavily time invested.

I started planting pine tree's as well and already got lucky with 2 Thunderstrucks the last two days.
My Husbandry is at 16k and Gathering is at 18k, so i'm somewhat limited on seed bundle options.
I'm considering getting rid of the Cow Pens (maybe keep 1) and using the land for something more active.

I'm online 24/7 so labor is pretty close to maxed. I play in short spurts throughout the day.. 30 mins here, maybe up to an hour there... often times i'm actually doing something in-game an hour or two of the day, but coming to check on things every 5-8 hours shouldn't be a hastle.

Edit:
Professions: Alchemy 79k, Commerce 77k, Fishing 61k, Metalwork 54k, Tailoring 50k, Gathering 18k, Husbandry 16k, Farming 12k. Everything else is under 10k.

Farm Hauler and Fishing ship (4 packs at once across sea)

The land is located in 2 Crowns North.

So, any suggestions?

maiyah
02-03-2015, 04:51 AM
First off, congrats on all your new land. That's cool. Secondly, what professions, if any, do you have leveled, thirdly, what region do you live in? Larders can either be worth a fair bit of coin, or....totally not worth it at all.

What level are you? Do you have a farm hauler or cart, or a donkey? Do you run trade packs, can you run them overseas or into pvp zones? Do you have a partner (best friend, spouse, gf/bf) you play with or are you taking on all that land solo? Do you have a house there, or do you want one?

ChrisIsBored
02-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Updated my original post.

I play solo... I have a newborn son so my play time is often random and short. No house currently, but a spot is opening up in 11 hours to place one. I'm not sure I can keep up with all the taxes though if I did! :O

Greydog
02-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Honey brings the same payoff as cheese at a lower overhead in time and labor (600lp every 3 days)

ChrisIsBored
02-03-2015, 05:10 AM
Honey brings the same payoff as cheese at a lower overhead in time and labor (600lp every 3 days)

Good to know! Thanks.

maiyah
02-03-2015, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure what server you are on, or what it's market is like, but my friend is an alchemist, and she's seemingly always needing flowers for some of her potions. I'm a cook, so I raise what I need for my profession (several basic things like barley and other ground grain type crops, plus the ginseng, garlic, rice and coops for my farmer's workstation dailies).

I have a few acorn beehives, it's pretty much just a few bee stings (that oddly enough look like you are being zapped by lightning) and 600 labor twice a week to net your self 20 odd honey. If you were to larder that , it's (I think) five honey and five hay bales, then you can run it overseas or to the same side trader of choice. I think for you Gweonid may pay the most, but you'll need to double check that.

If there are a few trade runs you do a lot, price the costs of growing versus buying the mats for them. Sometimes things like eggs and grapes aren't profitable to raise yourself. As for the house idea, I know some folks don't find them useful, but I appreciate the sleeping labor boost, plus a place to put my 'stuff'. You can store chests and other things on your two 24 farms, so you don't -need- a home.

I have found for me, being online basically 24/7 I have enough labor to do a 24x24 home and a 24x24 farm with a comfortable amount of labor left over for learning the language of Haranya (I make my own paper and books), running 7 packs to 14 packs a day depending on the market and what's paying, plus left over to go work on my professions and help guildmates. I find more land (for me) to be something that is diminishing in return. As it is, I hardly ever need a labor pot. I think if I had more land I'd have to change my style of farming to something more slow grow and long term. With the 16's you have, you could convert one to a cottage if you like the idea of it, or depending on their layout, consolidate them into one 24x24 house, and lower the taxes you pay by having fewer number of properties.

ChrisIsBored
02-03-2015, 05:31 AM
I'll definitely look into the bee's! It sounds like a better option than Cow Pens. I'm not too concerned about getting a house. The Gazebo has ample room for a bed and most anything else will fit too, or on the roof. I actually converted my first Gazebo into a makeshift house.

See Here (http://imgur.com/x0GuzNP) & here (http://imgur.com/oPg2JN3). :cool:

SavannahLynn
02-03-2015, 05:51 AM
I started planting pine tree's as well and already got lucky with 2 Thunderstrucks the last two days.

Just don't talk to me.... ; ; lol J/K Grats^^ I put yatas on my 16x, but the payout there is few and far between unless you're lucky.

AjuntaPall316
02-03-2015, 06:06 AM
I have more land than I should now that I stopped growing mats for normal trade packs... But I love my land and don't want to lose any. I have 2 spots in Gwen Forest that I use for larders. 1 lot honey, 1 lot cheese. I only do 7 larders on each farm, with 1 beehive each... makes for easier farm hauls. (Hauler holds 7, don't need 8). Rest of the land I grow... whatever I feel I'll need. Now that I have a nice collection of stuff... I just grow trees, or rice, or cows... Try to mix things up a bit. But, mostly just for fun instead of needing stuff now. Except trees... I always run out of lumber. Just grow stuff to sell, so I can buy stone for my larders.

ChrisIsBored
02-03-2015, 06:28 AM
I have more land than I should now that I stopped growing mats for normal trade packs... But I love my land and don't want to lose any. I have 2 spots in Gwen Forest that I use for larders. 1 lot honey, 1 lot cheese. I only do 7 larders on each farm, with 1 beehive each... makes for easier farm hauls. (Hauler holds 7, don't need 8). Rest of the land I grow... whatever I feel I'll need. Now that I have a nice collection of stuff... I just grow trees, or rice, or cows... Try to mix things up a bit. But, mostly just for fun instead of needing stuff now. Except trees... I always run out of lumber. Just grow stuff to sell, so I can buy stone for my larders.

Thanks for sharing! So you have 4 lots total? 16x16? How are you doing with taxes?