PDA

View Full Version : paladin - off-Healer? off-Tank? off- dps or a mix of all three?!

arathon4real
02-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I was just curious how other people play their Paladin, for nothing more than idle curiosity and love of the class, I suppose. I find this a really fun build, since it has versatility in being both a tank a healer, a fighter a mix of all three depending on skill points and gear, and unlike some cookie cutter classes, you can actually play with the skill point allocation quite a lot without becoming a bad build.So how do you play YOUR Paladin? more heals? More tank? more damage A mix of all three? Here is my current build http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/274337

Gamemako
02-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Paladin's strength is as a frontline PvP fighter. Argent or Templar are generally better choices in that role than Paladin due to Auramancy's healing benefit. Vitalism alone doesn't make you a healer. What Paladin excels at is providing spot heals and middling damage in the thick of things. It has strong sustain with stacked damage resistance and self-healing, plus can use its abilities in Imprison and spots heals to ruin enemy attempts to burst down a teammate, or grab a fleeing opponent with Mirror Light. In any case, I don't see a compelling reason to build Paladin any way other than 11/7/5 or similar right now.

As for your build, I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's terrible. You took the terrible Spirit Growth and Toughen plus the highly-situational Twilight, Revive, and Frenzy. Frenzy is especially strange as a choice when you're built without any passives in Battlerage. You missed Quick Recovery and put a point somewhere comparatively useless instead of taking Joyous Spirit. You've got low damage and mediocre healing both. You'd have at least been better off as a Death Warden like that, using Mark, Overwhelm and Shadowsmite to much greater effect with +24% damage. You can't even reset your Precision Strike cooldown anyway.

You can technically build a decent healing Paladin by using Sunder Earth and a truckload of mana potions and food, but you've failed to take that skill. The Inspired effect is also being removed from Sunder Earth in 1.7, so you won't be able to alternate Sunder Earth and Mend to maintain the effect when the level 55 patch hits. Most people don't bother with that anyway since it's so expensive, has a frustratingly rigid rotation, and kinda pointless when you're hardly using Battlerage (better off with Auramancy).

Woe
02-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Not sure if troll post or just weirdo copy-paster. 0.o

Gamemako
02-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Not sure if troll post or just weirdo copy-paster. 0.o

Lol, maybe he doesn't speak good English and borrowed someone else's phrasing to get his point across?

In any case, that's the second time I didn't notice copypasta here of late, lol.