PDA

View Full Version : Glyph client memory leak/hog

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Finished downloading ArcheAge beta, tried to install it and OH GOD IT'S USING 7 GB OF MEMORY

http://i.imgur.com/ovdhPPA.png

Is there the biggest memory leak in all history of memory leaks, or is it this much of a hog during install. It took AGES to get a screenshot with how choppy my PC got thanks to Glyph.

Edit: For clarification, this only occurs during the ArcheAge install when it reaches "Less than 15 seconds remaining."

It gradually increases to the point of unusable PC.

Edit 2: This also causes Glyph to freeze and crash, causing the install to never end.

Westeller
07-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Well, go take a nap while it installs is about the only advice I can give ya.

Denzy
07-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Strange. Mine is on and download the client and its only using 2gb of memory.

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Strange. Mine is on and download the client and its only using 2gb of memory.

During download, it's perfectly fine. It's also perfectly fine until the end of the install. Glyph then crashes and skyrockets to 7GB of memory.

@Westeller - It's not just about not being able to use my PC during the install, it's also that 100% RAM usage by a single program is a worrisome thing.

Zombierice
07-16-2014, 01:26 AM
quick question i finished the download and it applyed it so i clicked play to see if it had anything else to load it asked permision to run archeage then nothing happens so its done right?

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 01:27 AM
quick question i finished the download and it applyed it so i clicked play to see if it had anything else to load it asked permision to run archeage then nothing happens so its done right?

Not trying to be rude, but this isn't the thread for that. This is asking if anyone else is experiencing the leak during install.

Zombierice
07-16-2014, 01:28 AM
sorry

10char/

Westeller
07-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Aww, give 'im a break.

It should launch the game, play through a few quick logo cinematics, then crash after a bit. If it isn't launching at all, somethin's up. I'd take any concerns you have over to Tech support, your own thread, or look around for others having similar issues.

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Need help on this. Would like to have ArcheAge installed and not constantly trying to burn up my RAM.

Westeller
07-16-2014, 01:41 AM
Memory leak aside, you can't just leave it to it until it's done?

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Memory leak aside, you can't just leave it to it until it's done?

No, again, the issue is it completely crashes at Less than 15 seconds remaining, continues to use 7 GB maxing my RAM out (very bad for a single client like Glyph to do, could potentially burn out RAM at extended periods)

This means it'll never install with this memory leak.

Nitori
07-16-2014, 01:47 AM
I had this same problem. My computer kept freezing up when the download reached that same point. I'm not sure what it was doing, if it was trying to unpackage a lot of data at once or something. After leaving my computer alone for a good while though, it finally got past that stage.

If Glyph crashed and you can't download ArcheAge at all, try uninstalling it or removing the data manually. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell you.

Jakoul
07-16-2014, 01:48 AM
The reason it's causing issues is because the download is essentially a .zip file that's 22GB. It then has to unzip and copy the files over to the right directory. Sounds like Glyph can't handle unzipping such a large file. That's also why your computer will probably have all of its resources used during the initial installation, because it's unzipping a large file that will very likely take over 10 minutes to process.

I know this because I tried the RU version first and was looking at the files. After seeing this thread I checked the Glyph directory and it's the same thing.

amazingrando
07-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Try turning off your antivirus or uninstall for the time being for the whole download/install duration, I had this happened to me before and had to look on the alpha threads for find this solution. The leak will still occur but it seems at a much slower pace, so just leave your computer be till its done. I know it sucks they really need to look into this. Good luck installing friends

TheFell
07-16-2014, 03:46 AM
I didn't have this issue although I play at quite high specs machine.....

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 03:49 AM
I didn't have this issue although I play at quite high specs machine.....

My PC is also a higher end machine.

I installed it in the end by just closing everything that used up memory. Steam, browser, etc. and left the PC.

I'd prefer a better optimized client to Glyph, but at least that part is over with.

Joan of Arc
07-16-2014, 04:49 AM
My PC is also a higher end machine.

I installed it in the end by just closing everything that used up memory. Steam, browser, etc. and left the PC.

I'd prefer a better optimized client to Glyph, but at least that part is over with.

Also another thing that is we will have to download that huge file and experience the same ram leak every patch :) how cool and nice that is dont you see :cool: :cool:

Mazimba
07-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Also another thing that is we will have to download that huge file and experience the same ram leak every patch :) how cool and nice that is dont you see :cool: :cool:

No, we wont. This is a BETA Candidate build, once the game hits Open Beta, its so close to live that another patch wont be another 22gb download. They also did some work that required us having to download the FULL game again. From here on in, it should be smooth sailing.

Choops
07-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Do you have page file disabled?

Godshelp
07-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Do you have page file disabled?

No. Glyph is the only thing that has caused maximum memory usage. Trion just needs to optimize it.

Goros
07-16-2014, 04:59 AM
I didn't notice any issues on mine...but I have 32GB of RAM and 16GB of swapfile on an SSD.

Jestunhi
07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I didn't notice any issues on mine...but I have 32GB of RAM and 16GB of swapfile on an SSD.

I have 32Gb RAM too.

With many Chrome tabs open, media player playing a video file, etc I was at 20% memory usage while downloading which peaked at 26% near the end of the install and dropped to 17% when installation was completed.

So around 5Gb - 8Gb with all the background apps included.

ProtosX
07-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Unless you have your Paging File setup set by default (controlled by OS) then you might suffer high ram usage during the installation.

If this is how the GLYPH works on the installation of AA client
Download: Zip File directly saved to HD
Installation: Zip file is unzipped by stages and will be stored in memory (RAM & Paging File) for active use and installation (while unzipping). This saves time and efficient to prevent memory corruption, however like what i stated, it will use lots of ram space if your paging file is set to be controlled by OS.

Paging file Controlled by OS: This is how it works, unless your ram is already 90%~ depleted then thats when the OS choose to use paging file, if you need more space then it will expand the paging file WHEN its needed to expand.

Unlike paging file that is setup with a minimum and maximum amount (mine is 4GB~12GB). example your paging file is set to minimum 4GB, then the OS will store 4GB buffer memory onto the HD and NOT into the RAM. Only the active memory/data that is being used by the application and being processed by CPU that is stored in RAM. Also if your paging file reach the maximum amount then it will automatically expand.

I will monitor the memory usage to confirm any issue regarding this and hope i can provide some info too on how to fix it.

Biozombie
07-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Im getting the same thing on mine

DemonstrationX
07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Might explain why I had to shut my computer off ... around there... freaking thing froze couldn't select anything..

Tsusaku
07-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Yep same here, i have 12GB RAM. System and other things use about 2-3GB and Glyph ransacked the other 9-10GB for itself, making the PC unusable and when it happens the patching gets so slow, that i would probably need to leave it for a night until it patch, IF even it does and not crash.

NoZephy
07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
I had no issues with 16GB RAM but I did notice when it was installing that it was eating up a ridiculous amount.

I'm hoping they bring this on Steam once the full version launches. It's free to play so I don't see why they wouldn't put it up there, unless they really want to force this terrible launcher on everyone.

Godshelp
07-17-2014, 08:15 AM
I had no issues with 16GB RAM but I did notice when it was installing that it was eating up a ridiculous amount.

I'm hoping they bring this on Steam once the full version launches. It's free to play so I don't see why they wouldn't put it up there, unless they really want to force this terrible launcher on everyone.

Agreed. I still question the purpose of Glyph. The store page is just Trionworld's website, and then the single game launchers they originally had worked tons better than the library system this new client uses.

Seeing it eat up all the RAM is terrible.

NoZephy
07-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Agreed. I still question the purpose of Glyph. The store page is just Trionworld's website, and then the single game launchers they originally had worked tons better than the library system this new client uses.

Seeing it eat up all the RAM is terrible.

/rant
If they had a ton of games then a client would seem like a feasible idea. However, all of their games are listed in a single scroll page on the Glyph client. There is literally no reason of purpose for this thing to even exist. Not only that but I swear that games like Rift and Defiance are already on Steam. What is the bloody point? I already have Steam, Origin, uPlay, Desura and now Glyph. It's ridiculous, soon we're going to have a program that we can use to organise and list all of our other clients.

Godshelp
07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
/rant
If they had a ton of games then a client would seem like a feasible idea. However, all of their games are listed in a single scroll page on the Glyph client. There is literally no reason of purpose for this thing to even exist. Not only that but I swear that games like Rift and Defiance are already on Steam. What is the bloody point? I already have Steam, Origin, uPlay, Desura and now Glyph. It's ridiculous, soon we're going to have a program that we can use to organise and list all of our other clients.

RIFT, Defiance, Wasteland 2, and Banner Saga are all on Steam already, yes. There's no point to Glyph with it's bad optimization and uselessness for most of the games.

Glaivus
07-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Meh get a better computer. I'm at 16gb ram @ 1866Mhz and glyph didn't slow me down at all. More pointedly all these companies are linking their products on internal platforms to lock players into their games. They do it with the clients and having joint currencies for all their games. At some point I'd expect to have character stats transferable between games as well.

Also love steam with it's generally open platform concept. It's quickly becoming the facebook of games.

Godshelp
07-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Meh get a better computer. I'm at 16gb ram @ 1866Mhz and glyph didn't slow me down at all. More pointedly all these companies are linking their products on internal platforms to lock players into their games. They do it with the clients and having joint currencies for all their games. At some point I'd expect to have character stats transferable between games as well.

Also love steam with it's generally open platform concept. It's quickly becoming the facebook of games.

Really now... "Get a better computer."

It's not about a PC being bad, mine's perfectly fine for high end gaming. The bad part is the fact Glyph NEEDS 6+ GB of RAM, that's ♥♥♥♥ty optimization Mr. High-and-Mighty.

Jestunhi
07-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Really now... "Get a better computer."

It's not about a PC being bad, mine's perfectly fine for high end gaming. The bad part is the fact Glyph NEEDS 6+ GB of RAM, that's ♥♥♥♥ty optimization Mr. High-and-Mighty.

That's not a problem for me.

Godshelp
07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
To clear things up.

If you have 16GB or more RAM, then it's not going to affect your PC's speed. Stop with that "WELL IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME GET A BETTER PC."

The issue is it still uses up 6+ GB of RAM when installing, not just being open, just during the install of ArcheAge.

Jestunhi
07-17-2014, 09:34 AM
To clear things up.

If you have 16GB or more RAM, then it's not going to affect your PC's speed. Stop with that "WELL IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME GET A BETTER PC."

The issue is it still uses up 6+ GB of RAM when installing, not just being open, just during the install of ArcheAge.

Mine used much less than 6Gb RAM.

I was using 5Gb while it was idle (after install) with many Chrome tabs, media player classic, half a dozen Windows Explorer windows, etc. It peaked at a little over 8Gb while installing.

So a 3Gb increase over idle.

Biozombie
07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
So still no way to fix it this sucks i really wanted to play

Bahz
07-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Same problem here....and after the crash the damn thing wanted another additional 50gig of free space to even start.

Bahz
07-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Any way to play it without the damn bugged glyph?

Bahz
07-18-2014, 03:07 AM
Kept it running with the memory leak for the whole night and that worked.

Biozombie
07-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Kept it running with the memory leak for the whole night and that worked.

That would kill my ram so thats not happening

Biozombie
07-25-2014, 12:16 AM
This is still happen i hope this is fix before Beta 2

Zwiebelchen
07-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Didn't happen with my machine. And I only have 3 gigs of RAM. Could work while installing just fine.

ion
07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
hhaha all my ram used by glyph cant even intstall the game.. time to wait for everquest next :D im glad i didnt bought the game. only fail games this year eso wildstar aa

Arthur
09-16-2014, 03:24 PM
This still hasn't been fixed. I experience this issue whenever I update Archeage.

You can't cancel the update and you're unable to kill Glyph's process tree unless you do it as an administrator.

Ironbard
09-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Dude... what the ♥♥♥♥... I'm bleeding approx 100MB of RAM per second -.-". What is this...