PDA

View Full Version : Weird performance issue

Lostra
03-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Welcome everyone!

First of all, thank you for even reading the post. My girlfriend and I both started playing this game, and we love it so far, however, we've ran into some weird performance issues. First of all, her notebook's config:

AMD A10-5750M 4x3,5GHz Turbo 4MB Cache
4GB DDR3 1600MHz
8650G + 8670M 2GB Crossfire (We've tried CF on and off)
500GB HDD

And my PC configuration:

AMD Athlon 750K 4x4,1GHz 4MB Cache
4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia GTX650 2GB
120GB 840 EVO + 500GB HDD (The game is on HDD)

The problem is, when she looks towards a town, the distance doesn't really matter, her FPS from 40 drops to about 7. We've tried editing the config file, to set the render distance to something lower, and we've also disabled every single possible thing (from config) but still no luck. Someone suggested, that the 4GB memory is the problem, however, my PC has 4GB too, and that one runs stable 60FPS on High settings with 2xAA. Any of you have encountered this problem before and managed to solve it successfully? We are thinking about switching that notebook to a PC.

Thank you in advance :)

Fasti
03-06-2015, 05:48 AM
I didn't see it specifically mentioned, so I wanted to check on whether she has tried running ArcheAge in DirectX 9 mode (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203679227-Resolving-ArcheAge-Graphics-Issues)? If not, ask her to try that and see if the issue continues.

Lostra
03-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Oh, sorry for not stating it, yes by lower graphics, we mean DX9 too :)

Moly
03-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Someone suggested, that the 4GB memory is the problem, however, my PC has 4GB too, and that one runs stable 60FPS on High settings with 2xAA. Any of you have encountered this problem before and managed to solve it successfully? We are thinking about switching that notebook to a PC.

Hey
I don't know it that comes from RAM but it could be, remember that even with same capacity laptop and desktop won't treat a game in the same manner.
If switching Dx 11 to Dx9 isn't working may consider reducing resolution from one step, it should brings more fps increment than reducing graphics.

Good luck

Lostra
03-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Thank you for replying. She plays on the lowest resolution possible. :/

Moly
03-06-2015, 07:04 AM
The problem is, when she looks towards a town, the distance doesn't really matter, her FPS from 40 drops to about 7.
Is there a significant fps improvement when she looks at sky for example 80 fps ?
Try playing windowed mode during fps drops, checking out on performance monitor if something hitting your CPU, RAM or HDD, if not that's come from your GPU

Lostra
03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
The fps problem only happens if she looks towards towns/cites, no matter how big/small.

Moly
03-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Well, is it also happening when she looks toward player housing area or garden fit will lot of trees etc ?
If ram reach space limit it will start using HDD to stock temp data, if you've a 5200 or even a 7200 rpm she sure will experience a system slowdown.
However the question asked are important as it could also come from the gpu supporting the 3D render. It would be good to know which device of your laptop is failling.

I just tested removing 4GB ram on a 5yrs old laptop
nvidia GT320 m
i5-m430 2.3ghz
4/8GB ram
Archeage using around
1.3GB ram
~30% CPU
and ~85% GPU
at low graphics and 1024*768 with fps [55-77]
and experiencing a decrease to 39 when i'am in populated area/city/dungeon

May a TSR could have better answer on this case

PS: Is the laptop overheating ? (better than Does she :o)
PPS: Dunno if you already read this thread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2190179/amd-a10-5750m-radeon-8650g-8670m-dual-graphics-problem.html) but give it a try

Lostra
03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
It only happens in towns, forests, etc are just perfectly fine. And the notebook is heating as much as always :)

Edit: I'll take a look at it :) Thank you.

McDonuts
03-06-2015, 12:30 PM
This happened on my 6 year old desktop. Got about 25-35 fps in general, but low teens and sometimes single digits in towns, housing, and large PvP (such Halcyona war), no matter what my settings were. Upgraded my graphics card to GTX 780, but very little improvement. Upgraded my system from Core2Quad and 6GB RAM, to i7 and 24GB RAM. Now lowest I see is in the high 30's in large PvP, with all settings maxed.

Lostra
03-06-2015, 12:54 PM
So basically it's the CPU :)

Moly
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
So basically it's the CPU :)
Don't know what McDonuts think about your CPU but it seems to be fine to me running ArcheAge especially at low res&graphics

If you could play it windowed during the drops and check performance monitor you should see if the CPU or RAM or HDD are failling their task

McDonuts
03-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I thought my old CPU would handle the game fine, since it was quad core and running at 2.4ghz. Apparently, either that extra 1ghz (my i7 is 3.4ghz), or architecture changes (more likely) create a massive performance increase, at least for Archeage and Skyrim.

Benchmarks put her CPU in the mid range, which usually means games will run decently on mid to low settings. However, maybe the A10 series lacks some hardware acceleration or other feature(s) that have a large performance impact. Or, the motherboard bus/chipset is too small (imagine trying to race a Formula One car on a dirt road).

However, it could also be the GPUs. The benchmarks I saw for them, placed them in the low to mid-low tier. Also, I read that performance was often better if you set it to only use the 8670M, instead of both.

If you set all the graphics settings to minimum, check the FPS, then set them to max (or halfway, if max will crash/freeze the game), check the FPS again, and have a large difference (say going from 30fps to 10fps), then the graphics are at least contributing to the problem. Otherwise, I'd say it is mainly the CPU and/or motherboard choking.

Edit - The amount of RAM is kind of low, and will definitely slow down map loading and cause pausing when going through housing areas and the major towns/camps. But, if your FPS is staying fairly consistent (even if it's at 7fps), then it's not the cause. I run an alt account in a virtual machine that has only 1.5GB of RAM (running Windows 7), and it runs decent (just takes like 2 minutes to load maps, but 90% of his time is spent farming in Rook, so it doesn't really matter).