As of this posting, in my AH cluster, cumulative costs to craft weapons are:

Conqueror's: 306g
Illustrious: 600g
Magnificent: 1245g
Epherium: 2290g
Delphinad: 3880g

Now on AH, the actual crafted items:
Conqueror's: 450g
Illustrious: 500-650g (Salvaged: 500-630g)
Magnificent: 600-745g (Salvaged: 550-720g)
Epherium: 1700-2350g (Salvaged: 1440g)
Delphinad: 15500g-35000g

Not even going into labor cost, RNG failures, and just using AH's 10% fee, most of these weapons are sold at a loss or barely break even from their mat costs. Only Delphinad looks like it might be profitable, but I have strong doubts that people have spent any less than 15k to get to that point.

Any success stories with Weaponry?
It seems like a pretty dead-end road as a normal vocation even with Obsidian making the "non-exclusive" (aka not 1h club/scepter) weapons more valuable. :/
Armor crafts at least have some demand for their RNG failures (except maybe sunset plate lol)

Soroboru
03-11-2015, 04:00 PM
It's because of the inflated price of sunlight from everyone making obsidian, of course it's going to not be worth it.

Now what about armor which has been ♥♥♥♥ even with 7g moonlight crystals?
Make a magnificent squall jerkin and you're still losing money.

Tenki
03-11-2015, 04:06 PM
It's because of the inflated price of sunlight from everyone making obsidian, of course it's going to not be worth it.
Unfortunately I can't say I've taken the same look at crafting costs for armor, but for weapons, the pattern was actually about the same even before Obsidian - for a while, I didn't craft higher than conqueror's (and didn't craft anything except clubs) because dead-end procs and things outside of 1h clubs/scepters lost value way more than conqueror's did. If anything, the other weapons (Daggers, Katanas, etc) have raised in value to the point that people are closer to breaking even instead of sacrificing 200g+ in lost value.

I think the Delph prices might have dropped overall but that can possibly be because of the goldseller death.

Soroboru
03-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately I can't say I've taken the same look at crafting costs for armor, but for weapons, the pattern was actually about the same even before Obsidian - for a while, I didn't craft higher than conqueror's (and didn't craft anything except clubs) because dead-end procs and things outside of 1h clubs/scepters lost value way more than conqueror's did. If anything, the other weapons (Daggers, Katanas, etc) have raised in value to the point that people are closer to breaking even instead of sacrificing 200g+ in lost value.

I think the Delph prices might have dropped overall but that can possibly be because of the goldseller death.

Yeah it's definitely still an iffy territory, but I meant now is no time to expect anything else I guess.
Sunlight crystals were already expensive and they just doubled since everyone has the proficiency to make this stuff now and there's immediate demand.

You know the solution imo?
Fix those dumb library coinpurses to actually drop archeum.
I've gotten more from noble's coinpurses.
That way we can make use of this grindfest to actually help the economy out a bit.

Tenki
03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
It would be nice to have more archeum (more rolls for higher tiers), but I think the real problem for weaponsmiths is how the items are valued by their customers - other players:
I found that conqueror's was the most stable sale when I had spare labor because my customers were probably other weaponsmiths who wanted to gamble for a chance at an upgraded illustrious.

I could understand people buying Magnificent scepters/clubs just because crafting was the main way to get decent weapons for Defense/Magic or Defense/Heal classes and graded Mag could work as a placeholder.

Epherium put people at T3 Hasla level with different weapon procs.

But for their rarity and costs, it's disappointing that they're valued so low.

rant aside, does that ~20k Delphinad price actually make up for/pay back the crafting costs, or do you (more experienced weaponcrafters) generally have losses deeper than the delph costs?

Soroboru
03-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Usually it's a matter of breaking even constantly until you get lucky, but now it's like you can't even make money a penny off 25% RNG
It's all or nothing.

That's true though when the demand isn't high.
Moonlight is cheap as hell but people still undercut eachother by 50g at a time trying to get the stuff to sell because they don't realize people aren't constantly buying this stuff.

Things like obsidian really helps because now there's demand for the salvaged swords n stuff.
I think if anything the market hurts because archeum doubled in price but lots of people were preparing salvaged stuff before the patch hit, not even thinking about the archeum probably honestly.

Pwnocchio
03-11-2015, 04:41 PM
To OP.

Crafting in this game is a disaster. They actually had a chance to save weapon crafting with the obsidian weapons but the gave weapon crafting to everybody, so the profession continues to be a complete loss.

jeffbenefiel
03-11-2015, 05:17 PM
When you take money out of an economy prices plummet, it has little and less to do with 'perception'. Those prices are the single richest person on that AH cluster who doesn't already have better gear. You only have to look at the price of Charcoal to see how bad the economy is, it's a depression .

Cainsmoker
03-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I can see why. I think the ONLY thing I ever crafted in this game was whatever starter weapon you had to when you were leveling up...I think I had like 40 weaponcrafting prof or something stupid like that. Some dude put up a salvaged illustrious staff for 1600g, the only one on the AH....I have enough mats (save for the salvaged stuff) to get up to T4 on an obsidian staff, so I figured why the hell not just craft my own since you don't have to spend anything but labor anymore.

I started from dust and lumber and had something like 35 sunlight crystals and 50ish shards that I'd just been hanging onto for a rainy day, so I crafted that sucker from the start and make my T1 obsidian staff. I'll regrade the eff out of it till it get to Celestial and then take it higher....if it breaks, I'm only out the mats for it (which I've had for months anyway so big deal)

So I really do feel bad for the weaponcrafters who have super high profs. Delp is the new Epherium. This obsidian rush is going to negate everything to the point where crafters aren't going to be able to make any money nor push anything through from their craft, especially if someone like me with absolutely NO crafting prof can easily take mats they've gathered and craft right up whatever salvaged item they need.

Minase
03-11-2015, 06:07 PM
This has always been the case with weapon crafting, you're not gonna profit unless you hit delphinad on every other try.

Maya4
03-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Jeez. How crafting is disaster with obsydian weapons now?

I am a weapon crafter also. It is either profit or break even.
In armor crafting just the plate may get you in a loss.
Leather crafting is profitable, cloth usually breaks even or profits.
Learn to math.