PDA

View Full Version : ArcheAge crashes after develper ads, before Server Select. Help!

Kirisuto no Neko
03-12-2015, 10:39 PM
I have a problem that began Sunday March 8, exactly 4 days after purchasing patron for the first time. I've been unable to get in to play since then, except for once when a friend kindly allowed me use of their computer so I could harvest things before they died. I am keenly aware of my paid subscription days being used up while I can't even play, so I'd really appreciate some help!

When starting the game, after the developer ads (i.e. after "Achieved with CryEngine 3"), when normally the Server Select screen should appear, a video plays. It's the one that scrolls through various Erenor landscapes, eventually showing Dahuta, the Red Dragon, etc, except in this case after displaying Falcorth Plains, without ever getting to Server Select, the game crashes--with no error message, nothing. Previously when this happened, uninstalling both ArcheAge and Glyph and then reinstalling them both fixed the issue. I have done that three times now, superstitiously making various changes to what else I have installed on my computer, with no success. I would appreciate urgent attention to this matter as I just purchased patron and am quite conscious of my patron timer and taxes counting down.

I haven't even gotten to experience any of the new game content. :(

Fasti
03-12-2015, 11:12 PM
If you don't mind, try the steps listed here (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203679257-Resolving-Crashes-before-intro-movie-in-ArcheAge) to see if they help get you up and running.

Kirisuto no Neko
03-14-2015, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it didn't work. The video I'm seeing isn't the intro video (the intro video shows the Twelve; this one just shows landscapes), and it was already marked to "1." (I have been playing for months, after all. This is just my first week of being patron, go figure. >.>)

One thing I've determined is that this happened after rebooting my computer, during which it installed updates. So I'm currently thinking that Windows Update may be a big part of the culprit here. (I am running Windows 7.)

Fasti
03-14-2015, 04:20 AM
It doesn't look like anything we have seen thus far shows compatibility issues with the latest updates and the game just yet. Let's try some more troubleshooting.

The looping video issue is an authentication error, which means something is blocked between your home network and our authentication server.

First up, check again to see if there are any additional Windows Updates (http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5) available. If there are some optional ones available, go ahead and get those, if you don't mind.

Next, restart your PC with minimal background tasks running (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203364518-How-to-boot-system-into-clean-boot-state).

Once it restarts, if you connect wirelessly, try plugging an Ethernet cable directly from your modem to your PC. If at all possible, you'll want to remove a router from your network (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/204186217-Removing-your-router), even temporarily.

When that is done, open the settings of any security software you use and add the full Glyph folder as an exception, not just the EXE file for Glyph and ArcheAge.

Finally, right-click on the Glyph icon and select Run as Administrator and give the game another try.

Thanks!

Felraina
03-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I'm having this same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions, except I can't plug an Ethernet cable directly into the router. My PC is upstairs and the router is downstairs so I only use wireless. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Fasti
03-15-2015, 12:42 AM
I'm having this same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions, except I can't plug an Ethernet cable directly into the router. My PC is upstairs and the router is downstairs so I only use wireless. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

If removing the router isn't an option, make sure to forward the ports needed by ArcheAge (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/204183617-ArcheAge-Port-Forwarding-Information).

Kirisuto no Neko
03-15-2015, 02:36 AM
Well, installing those extra updates crashed my computer, lol! But I went back and was able to install all but one of them manually, the remaining one being a graphics driver and giving an error code (80070103) that apparently indicates I already have the same or better driver currently installed. I am very much enjoying my new sound card driver, so thanks for that! 8D

I don't have access to the room with the router right now as there is someone sleeping in it, but I will try the direct connection tomorrow. However, I do not think that the ISP or router is the issue because that other person is still able to access ArcheAge just fine. It is apparently something with my computer alone. =S

As for security software, I was unable to add an entire folder to the list of programs Windows Firewall allows through as they must be application files, but I double checked to make sure Glyph and ArcheAge were on the list. Avast seems to be a scanning program only, so I didn't see any way to exclude Glyph and ArcheAge from potentially being blocked. Note that Avast was not installed at the time the problem began.

I followed the directions to boot into 'clean boot state' and ran as administrator but am still having the same problem.

Now, you mention port forwarding. This is interesting because after temporarily giving up on ArcheAge, I went to try to play a different game. It seems I'm unable to connect to ANY online games. Two other games have specifically given error messages saying they were unable to connect to servers, which would correspond with being unable to reach the Server Select screen in ArcheAge and what you mentioned about the authentication server. One game's troubleshooting guide also mentioned the use of ports and port forwarding, and using port checking websites like canyouseeme.org seems to confirm that significant ports on my computer are inaccessible. Again, this doesn't seem to be caused by my ISP or router, since my roommate, using the same, can still get in.

If port blocking is the cause, what caused them to be blocked?

Thinking about the sequence of events leading up to the problem, I was playing fine in the early afternoon, then stopped to do some work with a tax program (all traces of which have since been removed), then rebooted my computer for a fresh gaming start, WHICH INSTALLED UPDATES, after which this problem occurred. That is why I thought it must have been Windows Update, but that doesn't explain why I'm the only Windows 7 user with a problem.

I also tried disabling Windows Firewall, but have read that it can still block things even while disabled. After reading about ports, I tried manually creating rules to allow unrestricted access to the ports ArcheAge uses, but, again, the problem persists.

I didn't understand why one would have to 'forward' ports instead of just opening them, but I guess if that's my issue I'll try that tomorrow.

Felraina
03-15-2015, 02:41 AM
I've forwarded the ports and also tried the direct Ethernet connection with another computer and still not working. This only started a few days ago. I'm so frustrated. If I can't get into the game, why be a patron and pay a fee. I wouldn't fuss so much, but I'm paid up through July.

Fasti
03-15-2015, 03:17 AM
W
I didn't understand why one would have to 'forward' ports instead of just opening them, but I guess if that's my issue I'll try that tomorrow.

Forwarding ports (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding) is a term that is basically synonymous for opening ports on a router. A variety of things can cause some ports to be closed, but it varies by make/model of router. Some have more ports closed by default than others, and if the Reset button is pressed, it's possible to modify what ports are already open.

If you haven't yet, submit a ticket (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/204400287-Contacting-Trion-Support) and attach your ArcheAge logs so we can look at what may be causing your specific crashes.

To find the log files, open the Documents folder and look for a folder called ArcheAge. In that folder is a text file called ArcheAge. Attach that file to your ticket.

Next, right-click on the LogBackups folder, select Send to Compressed, and once it is compressed, attach that to your ticket as well.

Thanks!

Kirisuto no Neko
03-15-2015, 11:50 PM
I submitted a ticket before creating this post, but I hadn't sent them those files. I have now.

I did look into connecting to the internet while bypassing the router today, but it's one of those router/modem combo things, and it's DSL, so that didn't work. It really can't be the router anyway because, again, there is another member of my household using the same router who is getting through just fine.

At any rate, thanks for your time looking into this for me.

@Felraina: I feel your pain. x_X

Felraina
03-16-2015, 11:37 PM
I've submitted a ticket as well.
@Kirisuto: Thanks! :) So glad I'm not the only one.

Fasti
03-18-2015, 05:50 AM
I've submitted a ticket as well.
@Kirisuto: Thanks! :) So glad I'm not the only one.

Just because I want to be 100% sure we have done everything we can to get you up and running, even if you have done this before, can you try the steps on this page to power-cycle your modem/router (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203372468-Resolving-Lag-and-Disconnect-Issues)?