PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Optimus and Intel HD - Game runs on Intel HD instead of Geforce 860 :(

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Hello

I can't get Archeage to run on my dedicated graphics card. It always choose the integreted Intel HD 4600 gpu over my Nvidia 860M gfx card. I am also unable to force it to use my gfx card over my integrated one via the nvidia console.

Added the archeage.exe file, to choose the option to always run this exe file on the GFX card, but for some reason, archeage.exe then this chooice is greyed out.

Anyone with similar problem ?

Computer, ASUS G750JM - 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD, Nvidia Getforce GTX 860M 2gb, Win 8.1

krillin
07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
normally when you have 2 graphics card like that what it does is :
Use the better one (in this case Geforce 860) when it needs it and when not needed it will use Intel HD

But dont know the fix yet sorry

krillin
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
What about this found it on a forum with another game :

The switching to the NVIDIA graphics depends on application profiles. If an application has no such profile, you can assign the graphics card manually:
Click Start and then Control Panel. Select Classic View from the left side of the window.
Double-click NVIDIA Control Panel.
Click View and next Add "Run with graphics processor" Option to Context Menu. Close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
Right-click the application title and select Run with graphics processor. Then, click High-performance NVIDIA processor.

Tell me if it works or not

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
As show in picutre bellow (Sorry, its in norwegian but should be ok to understand non the less)

The option to change from integrated graphics, to Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M is greyed out. It chooses integrated Intel HD 4600 no matter what I do.

I really hope this gets adressed as having an expensive computer, and having to play with an integrated graphics card due to Nvidia Optimus sucks :)
But this is why there is beta! :) :) :)

http://tinypic.com/r/pwzzd/8

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Ah! I belive I found how to make it work. Instead of adding the Archeage.exe file, i had to run the glyph client with forced setting to main gfx card! (...Do'h!)

Edit - Nevermind... I thought it worked, but once my char loaded its still just running on the intel card.

Running out of ideas. Anyone got a good idea ?

http://tinypic.com/r/33n85s4/8

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Derp - I spoke to soon - It didnt help :(

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Also tried this:

1. Open NVIDIA control panel.
2. Manage 3D settings
3. Global settings tab
4. Power Management Mode settings, select "Prefer Maximum Performance"
5. Preferred Graphic Processor settings, change from "Auto select" to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

No joy.

Any Tech GM's reading this, and got a tip ? :)

KalQulate
07-17-2014, 01:51 PM
I belve I have found a fix!!!

I was running the latest NVIDIA beta drivers, 340.43 - I uninstalled the three instances in programs (via control panel) - Theese:
* Nvidia Geforce Experience
* Nvidia Graphics Driver 340.43
* Nvidia PhysX driver

Rebooted.

Downloaded the latest NON-beta driver, which is 337.88
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/dri...px/76022/en-uk

installed that.

Reboted again

It now works !

Please try this, and let me know !

vash79
07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
I have the nvidia 860m and am using the latest non-beta driver and the game will not use the nvidia card at all. I never used the beta driver.

scorpnet
07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
I am currently running 337.88 as well, same setup as you, and exact same issue.. I have tried a few things but so far nothing... Im at a loss

Dolnor
07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
You can also turn off your Intel graphics GPU in the BIOS and your machine will default to the Nvidia.

TQQdles™

Lieutenant
08-01-2014, 07:59 AM
SOMEONE will find out fix about that problem ??? i am talking about ADMINS !

AqD
08-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Under the folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\ there should be nvdrsdb0.bin and nvdrsdb1.bin, both about 1MB in size. Those contain profile settings for applications and nVIDIA locked some of the profiles as readonly.

Just backup and then delete both files, then you're free to assign any application to High Performance mode. Installing new driver or updating the profiles online (part of nVIDIA experience) may reset it.

I used that to successfully assign Office 2013 and IE to nVIDIA GPU and they do work, never tested it on games through.

Wafalls
08-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Not sure you can fix it. I believe this to be an issue with the way the game handles fullscreen mode. Its not really fullscreen, its some weird variant (it wont lock the game to one monitor like exclusive fullscreen, but it isnt really borderless windowed mode either). Drivers wont properly hook into it from what I can tell. I couldnt get adaptive vsync to work either because Nvidia doesnt recognize the game.

Meh, maybe its unrelated to this issue, just an idea.

spoonplatoon
08-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Just thought I would add, I am having the same problem. Running the same nvidia card as the OP with exact same problems, missed out on last weekends beta and maybe I will miss out on this week too :(

spoonplatoon
08-21-2014, 02:50 PM
I followed the instructions here http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?26564-NVidia-8XX-Series-Card-FPS-issues&p=293048&viewfull=1#post293048 third post and I am now able to manually set which card to use in the Nvidia Control panel. Haven't been able to test the it with the running game yet because I only have beta invite and gotta wait until tomorrow for event 4, but being able to change the setting is a good sign.
I'll try to remember to post on how it when once I get a chance to test it.

Motodew
08-28-2014, 08:42 AM
It is possible to finally get to set the NVIDIA control panel as stated in the post. I am now running at a decent framerate. However, ambient occlusion is greyed out and "not supported for this game." Thus if you are anywhere other then a pure desert, anywhere with grass or ambient occlusion lighting effects in the world you will get blotches and washed out textures on the ground that are extremely irritating. I really hope someone at XL Games or Trion figures this out before launch.