PDA

View Full Version : The Ambiance Music Issue

Yoru
03-29-2015, 09:31 AM
I've had a bone to pick with phonographs on this game for a long time. I've decided I'd make a post about it and offer some suggestions. If you guys want to comment on them or make your own feel free to do so.

First I'll distinguish the different phonographs and their effects:

-Portable phonograph

Plays a variety of songs. Plays the selected song on repeat. Is considered a tradepack.

-Multi-Instrument Phonograph

Plays a variety of noises: Barking, Chirping, Hand Clapping, Wooing. Doesn't play on repeat. Is
considered a furniture.

-Self Winding Phonograph

Plays a variety of instruments: Drums, Base, Bongos, Hand Clapping. Plays the selected
instruments (can be more than one at a time) on repeat if the player doesn't move. Is
considered a furniture.

-Fanfare Phonograph

No information. Is considered a furniture.

-Scratchy Phonograph

Plays a distorted sound. No repeats. Is considered a furniture.

Problems:

- There's only one phonograph that plays a selected song on repeat even when you leave.

- That phonograph cannot be put on a public property or it would be stolen.

- Most phonographs are useless (or very little use). The only good ones being portable and self
winding.

- No phonograph allows the player to play a custom song.

Suggestions:

- Keep the portable Phonograph as it is because it has its uses but add a custom song option.

- Add a furniture phonograph that plays the same songs as the portable phonograph and also has a
custom song option.

How the custom song option works:

When you are in interaction range of the phonograph, there's a new option that lets you record one sheet music from your inventory. That sheet music is recorded as the last song option for the phonograph for 7 days. The custom song in the phonograph can be overwritten at any time.

Ending Comments

Some people may not agree with portable phonographs being able to play sheet music as it could replace the need to have players performing the music but there's some things to remember: the players can chose different instruments to change the sound of a song and the portable phonograph has to be put on the floor to rewrite the custom song (so you can't switch songs easily on the go). I think these options would make the game sound a lot more interesting and only boost the players interest in artistry (as it is required to write longer sheet music).

Noaani
03-29-2015, 11:48 AM
One thing this could have the potential to do (if done right) is give artistry a way to make money. I could see a lot of players buying sheet music - especially if it is from a composer they like - to charge up a phonograph for the week.

Potentially a good idea imo.

Yoru
03-29-2015, 11:51 AM
One thing this could have the potential to do (if done right) is give artistry a way to make money. I could see a lot of players buying sheet music - especially if it is from a composer they like - to charge up a phonograph for the week.

Potentially a good idea imo.

Mhmm I already buy a lot of sheet music from ppl with high artistry to play on my piano but it requires me to get a high rank myself to play well (which if I had, I'd make my own sheets). That way it would encourage people to pay for sheet music and get the full effect of what they paid for.