PDA

View Full Version : can not place 1st scarecrow

snowie
04-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Hi all I recently started playing archage and have just received my 1st scarecrow I go to the place it tells me to and try placing it but when I right click it says not for free account any help Would be appreciated, thanks

Arkaleus
04-03-2015, 08:01 AM
You need patron status to place designs and pay taxes.

snowie
04-03-2015, 08:45 AM
So why have a vocation quest that can not be completed by all players

Arkaleus
04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
You can complete the quests, you just can't place the designs or own property without patron status.

snowie
04-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the information was loving the game but think I will just delete it now wish they stated that more clearly before I had installed the game

drebb
04-06-2015, 09:12 AM
LOL You must have read nothing about the game before you installed. They are quite upfront about it.

PassedOut
04-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Patron status is required to place Scarecrow design, this is stated on the tooltip of the design item.

feeder
04-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Don't give up so easily my friend.

You can get Patron status in two ways.

1) Pay $15 a month via subscription, that can be canceled anytime you like.
This gives you the ability to pay taxes on land, which is what is required for you to place the Scarecrow.
It also comes with many other (imo more important) benefits, such as significantly more Labor.

2) Spend some time in-game, to generate enough Gold to buy 2 APEX from the in-game Auction.
You use the APEX in-game, which gives you credits to pay for Patron status through the website.
You never have to spend a dime on the game, if you use this method.
If you do some research you will find that it isn't all that hard to come up with the gold for these APEX.
In fact some people pay for Patron on multiple accounts each month, using this method.

Anyhow... if you are quitting just after getting the scarecrow design, you haven't even been playing very long. There is still a lot of stuff you can do and explore without Patron status or land. Perhaps you should check out the other aspects of the game, before giving up.

Note: The reason Patron is required to place land, is to prevent f2p non-Patrons from creating infinite accounts and grabbing all the land. This allows new players a chance to get land. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Sorry if you can't appreciate that fact.

Noaani
04-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Don't give up so easily my friend.

You can get Patron status in two ways.

1) Pay $15 a month via subscription, that can be canceled anytime you like.
This gives you the ability to pay taxes on land, which is what is required for you to place the Scarecrow.
It also comes with many other (imo more important) benefits, such as significantly more Labor.

2) Spend some time in-game, to generate enough Gold to buy 2 APEX from the in-game Auction.
You use the APEX in-game, which gives you credits to pay for Patron status through the website.
You never have to spend a dime on the game, if you use this method.
If you do some research you will find that it isn't all that hard to come up with the gold for these APEX.
In fact some people pay for Patron on multiple accounts each month, using this method.

Anyhow... if you are quitting just after getting the scarecrow design, you haven't even been playing very long. There is still a lot of stuff you can do and explore without Patron status or land. Perhaps you should check out the other aspects of the game, before giving up.

Note: The reason Patron is required to place land, is to prevent f2p non-Patrons from creating infinite accounts and grabbing all the land. This allows new players a chance to get land. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Sorry if you can't appreciate that fact.

You are talking to a guy who complained about not being able to complete a quest because he can't place a farm down, yet no quest in the game asks players to place plots.

If he won't read a quest description before complaining and quitting, he won't read your post - even if both are equally informative.

turboice
04-19-2015, 01:20 AM

That may have been true at some point, but no longer is. There is no more land. I will not pay for patron in any manner if after getting it I still cannot get land without paying for it again. Basically right now you have to pay twice to get any land, there are so many lots with nothing on them but a scarecrow - requiring patron for land did not prevent all the land from being grabbed up.

Rondache
04-19-2015, 04:50 AM
That may have been true at some point, but no longer is. There is no more land. I will not pay for patron in any manner if after getting it I still cannot get land without paying for it again. Basically right now you have to pay twice to get any land, there are so many lots with nothing on them but a scarecrow - requiring patron for land did not prevent all the land from being grabbed up.

There is always land around for 8x8's.

As to bigger plots of land, you need to remember that land in this game is supposed to be a limited resource, not a right a player automatically has access to.

I spent over a month trying to find a location to put down my first 16x16, and then when I finally found a spot to put it, there was room for 2 right next to each other. A month later ad I was able to upgrade each of those 16s to 24s because my neighbors had moved on. Now I also have a thatched and some other plots that I have acquired over time.

Basically, don't look at land as a right that you have upon purchasing patron. Look at patron as enabling you to go out looking for land to purchase.

turboice
04-19-2015, 08:30 AM
That is a patron customer limiting feature. A paying customer looking at a lot they cannot access that just has a scarecrow on it and not being used is only going to frustrate people. It basically leaves the game to only those that have been there since launch, anybody who comes to the game later is just SOL. I wouldn't put money or effort towards a feature I have to pay for twice.

Rondache
04-19-2015, 10:07 AM
That is a patron customer limiting feature. A paying customer looking at a lot they cannot access that just has a scarecrow on it and not being used is only going to frustrate people. It basically leaves the game to only those that have been there since launch, anybody who comes to the game later is just SOL. I wouldn't put money or effort towards a feature I have to pay for twice.

Once again, land is a limited resource by design. It isn't hard to get a plot or two, but yes, you will have to pay for it or wait for the next land rush (1.7a) and be prepared when it comes.

Alternatively, run around looking for inactive farms, perhaps even ones that have not had their taxes paid on time. Send the owners mail asking them if they want to sell.

Expecting to be handed something that is supposed to be a limited resource does not bode well for your Archeage future though, I have to say. This is not really a game of handouts - everything you have you need to earn one way or another.

Kloee
04-19-2015, 06:43 PM

I started two months later and have many connected pieces of land. I have seen people start and own good sized areas within a month. Try harder.

Calim
04-20-2015, 04:34 PM
This game is not supposed to be easy. But I guess we all covered that already.

Porkloin
04-21-2015, 04:29 AM
I started two months later and have many connected pieces of land. I have seen people start and own good sized areas within a month. Try harder.

This is correct - it may just take patience. I started in early December and bought my first land in mid-January. The gold came from killing monsters - a good many. Additionally - since the changes limiting the number of unbuilt properties and the reduction in the number of certificates required to sell, four 16x16s have come up for sale - two touching my little "empire" and two more very close by.

Korthrun
04-21-2015, 08:50 AM

I get it if you don't want to bother with it. Obviously you don't agree with the way that land is being handled. I have to plead with you though. Please stop propagating this myth.

I started playing about 2.5 weeks ago. I read a lot online about how there is no more land and it's pointless to try because major guilds always camp expiring land plots. Everything I read on this front (online or in /fa) was MAJORLY disheartening.

I completed the first couple blue salt brotherhood quests using public farms and exploring the land to find things I needed growing in the wild.

Still considering the game under evaluation for long term play, a few days after this I went patron because I wanted to explore the crafting system without waiting for labor at a F2P pace.

Despite all of the ♥♥♥♥♥ing and moaning I ran into, I found a 16x16 and an 8x8 plot in Dewstone the first day I had my Scarecrow Farm. Took me about 30minutes of putzing around Dewstone. Once I got stuff together for my house I decided to move, because I wanted a plot for both my house and garden close together. This took a little longer. I probably put about 2 hours into exploring housing areas spread over 4 days. I ran through the areas with my house out so I could see all of the borders. I checked scarecrows/houses that had no crops/wilting crops etc and made note of their location and expiration date if it was coming up within the next 48 hours. Turns out that was fun but a waste of time.

When I decided to check a less ideal location (meaning not right next to the ocean basically) it took me about 15 minutes of running around White Arden before I found two 16x16 plots adjacent to each other. It was a little tricky though. See I had to pay attention. Be a little observant. One of the plots was wide open. The second plot was unclaimed, but covered in plants left by one of my neighbors. Either because why not do some untaxed farming, or they were trying to make it look like the land was claimed. I put down my house in one of the plots.

I then had time to:

Teleport to Dewstone.
Butcher/Harvest/destroy everything I had growing.
Pickup a stone pack I had already made in preparation for my house because I'm an idiot (I should have left it uncombined until I placed the house)
Sell my land plot to another player.
Pickup my scarecrow.
Ride to my house in White Arden (with the stone pack on my back).
Cut down the grape trees that a neighbor had put up in hopes nobody would see the land as unclaimed.
Place my scarecrow.

There was no contention for the land. There was nobody there. There was no huge guild rush. The whole thing was disappointingly uneventful after all of the horror stories I had read on the web and in /fa. In the time that I put into running around housing areas, I got to do a lot of exploration and saw plenty of open land (but I was aiming for two 16x16 next door).

There is land. I didn't even check in the pvp areas. I didn't even need to.

Chryos
04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
did u not take the time to read about the game first? What do you expect exactly for a game that's free to play? You also could have taken time to learn about APEX as well.

Chryos
04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
and there is land. Either buy it from another player, or from a reliable guild. You can find small plots on your own pretty much everywhere. Land is not going to be handed to you on a silver platter, you have to work for it in some fashion just the same as those in headstart had too.

Siobhan
04-22-2015, 06:38 AM
@ Snowie:

When you get your first scarecrow (the small one through quests) you do NOT need to place it to further your progress. All you have to do is go talk to the NPC where they want you to and then go on with the quest line to get your large farm. Once you do that, you can do other things until you earn enough in-game gold to get patron status (through purchase of APEX) and then you can start to search for land.

Places to look:
-Outlying areas where the workbenches are far away
-Auroria
-PvP areas (they're not as bad as everyone would have you to believe)
-Karkasse (great for Polar Bear farms)
-In between gaps in large farm areas to place the small farm until your neighbor either sells or the land collapses due to unpaid taxes

Start with your 8x8 and see if farming things is even something you want to do. It is time consuming, and taxing (pun intended.) Don't uninstall the game just because you "can't find land" right now. In the meantime, just level and have fun doing other things. I've pulled up stakes and moved across zones a couple of times and now, 8 months later (m/o/l) I have a nice little spread. They're not all connected, but they're not very far apart.

As for being patron, there are two ways. Earn in-game gold and buy APEX (2 for Patron Status per month) or pony up the $15 per month.

So, in essence, I am saying pretty much the same thing as everyone else. You can own land, but you won't be able to find open land just lying there waiting for you. It takes time and effort. There are people in my guild who still don't have land after a couple months. But, then again, they're not spending all their time waiting for it. They're out doing dungeons, leveling, farming mobs, hangin with their guildies, and growing things on public farms or on guild-permitted farms (as two of mine are.)

Good luck to you, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.