PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing my farm(s) setup - need experienced opinions!

mojang
04-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Allright, so this is what i got. Im playing as Nuian btw!

4x 16x16 farms in Halcyona - This has 8x larders on em, that sums up to 64 larders / week = 896 gold (minus expenses ofc)
2x 16x16 farms in Dewstone Plains - This is the part im confused about, what the freaking duck should i grow/plant here? Im considering doing atleast 4x Dairy Pens? This will give me milk for aged cheese larders + fertilizer for Eco-Fuel. Then i could plant some Lemon trees in between. This will give me the mats for those larders.
1x 16x16 house in Dewstone Plains

So yeah, larders is run every third days, then im doing Hellswamp -> Gweonid packs in between. Getting packs in hellswamp early morning, and driving them to my farms in Halc. Then deliver them later.

But im not very experienced, and im sure there are way better ways to optimize my farms, so id be very very happy if someone would have the time and help me.

Stillwaters01
04-12-2015, 12:02 PM
It honestly seems as though you've got it set up right atm in addition to the cow pens and lemon trees I'd recommend a few cedars when ya can so you can make ur own lumber for the larders and if you have a second pc you can get a second account going and do mining to make ur own stonebricks and iron ingots so that would save you roughly 4 gold per larder

mojang
04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
I have 3 patron accounts, and 1 desktop + 2 laptops going all the time. So the 3 accounts is harvesting labor 24/7.

Good idea with Cedar + stone brick + iron.

Kloee
04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
You have a pretty good setup it seems. There are hundreds of ways to do it right. I enjoy hearing how other farmers/traders make their money. Granted I grow rubber trees in temperate...

bellaralo
04-13-2015, 12:21 AM
Three accounts seems like so much.. I can barely handle just one. Is it worth it? I could see its benifits i guess.

Kloee
04-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Three accounts seems like so much.. I can barely handle just one. Is it worth it? I could see its benifits i guess.

I run two accounts. One holds all the land and occasionally runs trade packs with my main acct. My main account does all the farming basically tax free. if you own more than 5 plots of land it's worth looking into. But in no way is in necessary.

Focslain
04-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Well you can upgrade a 16x to a gazebo and get 17/18 larders on each. This will also cut down your taxes overall as you only need to 15 for a equalivant of 25 worth of space (gazeboes are worth about 2x 16s an an 8 together, and you can place chests on them). I was thinking it was better to plant the lemons in the Halcyona since it's temperate, but if you only picking fruit once a day your fine with them in arid country.

But yeah, you'll want cedars for lumber and to mine your own iron/stone. For lemon trees you generally will need 4 trees per pen to keep an even production of milk:lemon. In between the trees and pens you can try to grow the mushrooms for your hellswamp packs. If you have a hauler watering them will be a breeze.

Noaani
04-15-2015, 10:19 PM
I was thinking it was better to plant the lemons in the Halcyona since it's temperate, but if you only picking fruit once a day your fine with them in arid country.
Helcy land is much better suited for larders. Putting lemons there when you have somewhere else - anywhere else - to grow them is a huge waste. Even if he bought lemons he would make more money by having more larders in Halcyona than if he used up that space to grow his lemons.

What I would do with that land is keep the Halcyona plots with larders at all times. While they are maturing I would spend time mining in Dewstone and logging in White Ardennes to get 500 each of wood, iron and stone for my next batch of larders. In Dewstone I would put down 8 cow pens, and use the gaps between them for a high value crop like ginseng. You will have more milk than you need, but by selling that excess and your ginseng you should make enough money to buy the 360 lemons you need for each batch of larders.

Roma Fireheart
04-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Just to clarify something, Cow Pens are really labor intensive, you'll get more Milk from Single Cows than you will from a Cow Pen. Set 5 cows next to a single cow pen, harvest both when they're ready and see for yourself. And say goodbye to your labor if you put a cow pen up.

The labor it costs to harvest that cow pen a single time, you could craft a ton of lumber or stone, sell it and buy three times the amount of milk.

Noaani
04-16-2015, 11:01 PM
Just to clarify something, Cow Pens are really labor intensive, you'll get more Milk from Single Cows than you will from a Cow Pen. Set 5 cows next to a single cow pen, harvest both when they're ready and see for yourself. And say goodbye to your labor if you put a cow pen up.

The labor it costs to harvest that cow pen a single time, you could craft a ton of lumber or stone, sell it and buy three times the amount of milk.

While true, when you get up to higher levels of husbandry this levels out quite a lot due to labor costs rounding up. Some pens/bundles do end up costing less labor when you get the 23% labor discount.

The big advantage of pens over cows though is fertilizer for fuel. Will save a lot of money in the long run.

Tedds
04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
If it's fertilizer you want, I'd recommend putting a couple of goose coops in addition to single cows. Much more fertilizer and milk per labor, without taking too much time to harvest.