PDA

View Full Version : Great anti-melee mage?

Artaniss
06-10-2015, 05:18 AM
In your opinion other the daggerspell which mage class do you consider to be sought of an anti-melee class. That can withstand a few whacks from melee and can come out victorious providing you have the skill and gear to match the oppponent? I wanna reroll a mage but do not wanna play daggerspell. I like revenant, arcanist so far. They seem to interest me. Any other thoughts?

Zehro
06-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Revenant is only good in mass PvP. In 1v1s its terrible.

Arcanist, Cabalist and Lamentor are really what you're looking for. Cabalist would be the best choice.

Aldween
06-10-2015, 05:46 AM
Enigmatist/Reaper. You need to kite and use your cc wisely, you got so much dps, you kill most melee easily.

Or cabalist.

Eztrcfyu
06-10-2015, 05:52 AM
Reaper is very good. Retribution will make glass cannon melee classes cry, especially when followed up by Hellspears and Gods Whip, and Silence to keep DR's teleporting away. Enigmatist is also decent, although you'll rely more on kiting them rather than letting them get close then opening up on them.

SakuraCalleil
06-10-2015, 08:34 AM
(Abolisher PoV)

Ignoring the pre mentioned dagger spells, Cabalists have always been a pain as they have enough staying power to complete a second rotation of spells while protected by Redoubt. Enigmatist's are a pain, but you need to be careful, if one of your CC's fail (or get purged) you need to have twitch reactions to prevent yourself from being killed. Surprised no one has mentioned Defiler :)

USFNOOB
06-10-2015, 09:35 AM
(Abolisher PoV)

Ignoring the pre mentioned dagger spells, Cabalists have always been a pain as they have enough staying power to complete a second rotation of spells while protected by Redoubt. Enigmatist's are a pain, but you need to be careful, if one of your CC's fail (or get purged) you need to have twitch reactions to prevent yourself from being killed. Surprised no one has mentioned Defiler :)

That was going to be my suggestion. Skullknight does well to.

Djefjed
06-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Isnt defiler nerfed alot cause of mudhand combo? Since that was your highest dmg spike.

Crazy Mike
06-10-2015, 10:46 AM
enigmatist kites the ♥♥♥♥ out of everything especially bonehead melee

Aldween
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Y, just wonder why primevales that QQ are not able to do the same xD Maybe because less people play enigmatist.

Makish
06-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Cabalist.

You simply dont loose to Melee unless they outgear you.

USFNOOB
06-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Y, just wonder why primevales that QQ are not able to do the same xD Maybe because less people play enigmatist.

Dont know what server you play but half my server is now RYTHMatist.

Olecranon
06-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Im doing reaper now and its awesome..im seeking Magnificent Lake Plate, and learning how to rely on Stealth and shadow step, then AOE's, closing with hell spears back off to nuke to death along with poison shot for DoT to death.

Rahzoul
06-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Wouldnt shroudmaster be effective?

Eldraed
06-14-2015, 08:32 AM
SO which is more effective? Cabalist or Enigmatist?

MagnumMack
06-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Shroudmaster isn't too bad if you can get the jump on a melee. Sometimes you can turn it around, but there's no good leather for a mage that I can see. I see far more mages than melee in open world and that's all I really care about.

Keeping distance as shroudmaster is the real issue. If you go up and try to bang out with a melee then you're living on the edge. Melee fighters have s many gap closer and mobility boosts that it really starts to get annoying. If your primary goal is killing melee, Enigmatist is the best option. Reaper wouldn't be a bad option either as long as you have the reflexes to not let them come to you, but shadowstep and spear them before they get off Behind Enemy Lines, Charge, Bull Rush or Overwhelm so you can backflip away or hit freerunner.

A good melee running witchcraft can be a pain. Wen we get the courageous action nerf that removes fear immunity we will see some stuff going on. In the mean time, I am looing into cast time reduction stuff. I really need to work on a t4 obsidian...

Jennika
06-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Cabalist and Arcanist

Makish
06-14-2015, 05:28 PM
SO which is more effective? Cabalist or Enigmatist?

Cabalist all day.

And he beats up any non witchcraft Mage as well.

Eldraed
06-19-2015, 06:06 PM
What about Spellsinger?

Fleetness
06-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Spellsinger is very glass canon. 1v1 against Battlerage anything and you will be taking a dirt nap.

Eldraed
06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
That's rather unfortunate. When comparing Spellsinger, Enigmatist, and Spellsong, which works best overall for pvp both solo and group?

Fleetness
06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Spellsinger works fine for larger group fights. It is useful for the Abbysal event. Does well on boats, you can play the damage/bulwark chants near the canoneers and be useful and can Shadowstep back onto boats and have ranged damage. Also does okay for halcyona war, CR and mystmerrow. Basically anything where you have a raid or at least a full group. 1v1 you just lack any kind of crowd control or anti-crowd control skills to survive. You have dropback, the short fear which most good players shrug off the stun, and then Mark/Overwhelm/Smite which are not really long enough to do too much during that short trip. Enigmatist has much higher 1v1 potential and survivability. I think Spellsong is even more flimsy 1v1 than Spellsinger. I really did not like it at all.

Eldraed
06-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Not even with Startling Strain followed by Critical Discord? (for spellsinger skills) My concern with Enigmatist is the lack of fear protection against those with Leech or when I am facing Daggerspells.

Fleetness
06-20-2015, 01:41 PM
You startling strain which is a short stun. They shrug that stun, then the debuff is gone and you get no fear.

Eldraed
06-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Ok then as Enigmatist you are good vs melee with great kiting skills, but how do you not get shut down either by someone with witchcraft (lassitude) or if melee gets close enough to land Leech?

Undeadmerlin
06-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Earthsinger

Eldraed
06-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Does Earthsinger not have issues with lack of mobility?