PDA

View Full Version : Gear for a noob pally?

Artaniss
06-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Hey guys I have a T4 shortsper for healing and T3 ob shield I wanna go healer dps and from what I read a Palading can be a force to be reconkked with so my question is what gear is good for a 55 pally that doesnt have a ton of cash just yet?

Oh one more question I was seriously considering a hexblade as well what do you guys recommend between the two? I am talking strictly small group 1-1 -open world pvp?

Altimar
06-28-2015, 11:15 AM
If you're low on gold, find a unique or better Mag Desert leather set.

newguy123
06-28-2015, 11:52 PM
it go for paladin over hexblade, you can just pair up with any1 and heal yourself and him and be much more viable then cc machine

if you on budget id go with plate. if you want to invest id go with cloth because its too good.
cloth needs to be socketed with much pdef for you to start feeling how good it is and untill then you will cry alot
plate will give you advantage right fromt he start , but then mages will eat you alive untill ull get t4 mdef shield + mdef gems

if i were to choose what road to start walking id take cloth from start and suffer for a while, but that is me :D

Artaniss
06-29-2015, 07:19 AM
What kind of cloth?

ElliottXO
07-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Cloth paladin is derp mode. Cloth supplements healing skills, but to be any efficient healer you need auramancy.

Go for leather (or plate at least). And try to limit your investment into the vitalism tree. I have 6 points in there.

Altimar
07-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Cloth is fine, you just lack in the damage department. The debuff reduction combined with Terrifying Roar makes a lot of CC weak.

Gamemako
07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Cloth paladin is derp mode. Cloth supplements healing skills, but to be any efficient healer you need auramancy.

Cloth gives you strong overall defenses with the amazing debuff reduction. Leather is fine if you prefer it that way. Plate is a bad choice generally, but absolute nonsense for Paladin. Gimped stats, bad set bonus, defensive stat distribution that is redundant with your skillset's strengths... just not a good idea.

Artaniss
07-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Is stone cloth ok? or should I go desert leather?Whats pro's and cons?

ElliottXO
07-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Cloth gives you strong overall defenses with the amazing debuff reduction. Leather is fine if you prefer it that way. Plate is a bad choice generally, but absolute nonsense for Paladin. Gimped stats, bad set bonus, defensive stat distribution that is redundant with your skillset's strengths... just not a good idea.

The armor choice for Paladin is Leather > Plate > Cloth.

You are biased by those derps on your server who started rolling cloth Paladin, but they actually have no clue what they are doing. I got the same ones on my server. 5k gear Paladin in a cloth that I laugh about.

1. If specced correctly you will be a decent tanky DPS and have some support skills and heals when not in heat. You will never be able to heal efficiently without the cooldown reduction and conversion shield of the Auramancy tree, so investing heavily into cast time, spirit and int is pure waste. Using cloth (int + spirit) will gimp your Battlerage and Defense skills since they rely on str + agi (or melee attack and crit rate).

2. Cloth has low PDEF, which is a contradiction to take as Paladin. You have gap closers, melee damage skills, melee defense skills, but you want to charge into the battle and into all the melee DPS in cloth? Rofl those darkrunners will have a good time. If you rely on close combat cloth is the dumbest choice you can make. And for standing in the back and healing your are not qualified (see point 1).

Now we can discuss which armor set has the best bonus, but that is rather pointless. I chose leather because plate has 20% less overall defense. Cloth Paladin is derp mode.

Leather is therefore the logical choice. Live long and prosper.

@OP: You need body, legs and head obsidian armor. Hands and feet are optional. I don't recall the 4pcs bonuses of the sets, but that won't matter if you take 5 obsidian parts. Desert is a good choice, so is lightning.

TheWiggler
07-01-2015, 02:32 PM

I dont know if this guy gets paid to ramble about cloth all day but my advice is leather. If you aren't a mage, go leather. If you're a healer go earth leather (your wep is all that counts as a healer anyway). Only go cloth if you're a mage

If you're a safe tank (i.e cc or inbuilt mitigation of some sort), go plate (hexblades, abolishers, doomlord, argent). Anything else that's melee should be in leather.

Cloth is an expensive trap to invest in. 'Leather gives the most resell possibility.

TLDR: always go leather.

Gamemako
07-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Is stone cloth ok? or should I go desert leather?Whats pro's and cons?

Once you're geared to the hilt, you can be like this guy who was top arena 1v1 for a while in Korea:

http://i.imgur.com/tgUIyHx.png

Melee is the attack type least dependent on a main stat, and Spirit helps you meet accuracy cap for all attack types. Your Mirror Light will miss quite often with low spirit and intelligence. The main advantage, though, is the -30% to all debuffs, which combines with Terrifying Roar to reduce all debuffs and CC by 55%. This will ruin tons of combos, allow you to avoid some common tricks (leech meteors, wail/lassitude), and get you out of CC and back on your feet to heal up sooner. When your opponents have to rely heavily on killing you before you can heal, that's rather handy to have.

On the flipside, you do take slightly more damage than you could with obsidian/earth leather, and you deal some bit less damage. You are likely to have roughly 10% more melee attack in leather, plus attack speed and critical rate boosts that cloth lack. You also have two defense buffs in obsidian chest and pants for some marginal gain there, and immunity to the thrust damage penalty (chance to take 15% extra damage from thrusting weapons -- both cloth and leather suffer the penalty against cutting weapons).

Additionally, a possibly larger drawback for you specifically is that you will spend much more time building up your gear to be super-effective in cloth. That crazy Korean guy has 7500 pdef without a pot; my piddly cloth/shield build has 4000 (but will be 5000 once I finally get a proper shield). Leather will let you skip over lower gear levels with effective obsidian pieces right out the gate; obsidian cloth has magic damage boosts and bundle of useless Intelligence. Obsidian leather also pairs well with other easily-obtained gear, like GHA stuff. When you go cloth, it's all expensive crafted equipment with important slots all over the place, and it becomes more effective later once you stack up enough to overcome puncture and other pdef reductions.

Plate is mainly for PvE in ArcheAge. Total defensive stats from armor are lower, the set bonus is all but useless. Where cloth gives the huge debuff reduction and leather gives offensive bonuses, plate gives nothing but a small health bonus and a pathetic consolation prize pdef bonus that will never make up for the lower total stats, let alone provide any utility itself. If you ever wear plate and take other items trying to account for the terrible lack of magic defense, you should always remember that you could have gone with leather instead and been all-around better off for it.

Furthermore, as Paladin, you might have 70% block rate and 50% parry rate and 60% melee bonus damage reduction, plus protection from most physical CC (trip, snare, slow)... and no reasonable means of reducing magic damage at all except magic defense stat. Battlerage/Defense is built with strong protection against physical opponents already, but you won't have jack against magic-wielding attackers. If you decide on leather, it's good plan to slot magic defense gems and an obsidian lute for extra mdef.

Enjoytrade
07-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Gamemako, thank you for a detailed response as usual. I am fairly new and just hit 50 so excuse my lack of knowledge. I am currently running an Argent build and want to be able to heal for my guild in PvP and farm purses while solo in Auroria with just a few changes to the build. Would the same gearing advice here (Paladin) apply to me as an Argent as well? Would the fact that I want to heal change the thought process? I am just starting out and do not have unlimited funds for two sets of armor at the present. Thanks again.

Gamemako
07-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Gamemako, thank you for a detailed response as usual. I am fairly new and just hit 50 so excuse my lack of knowledge. I am currently running an Argent build and want to be able to heal for my guild in PvP and farm purses while solo in Auroria with just a few changes to the build. Would the same gearing advice here (Paladin) apply to me as an Argent as well? Would the fact that I want to heal change the thought process? I am just starting out and do not have unlimited funds for two sets of armor at the present. Thanks again.

Tough one. Normally, I would just tell you to use obsidian/earth leather, but you are aiming for heals with Argent. That makes me tempted to tell you to cloth and shield with both, but it's expensive to do that. Healing obsidian starts at t4, requiring epherium salvage to craft. Epherium stone is STUPID expensive on my cluster, too, so you would have to settle for mag stone where t3 obsidian leather is better than Eph gear. All the other bonuses from leather would be great, but you will find it more difficult to main heal effectively with very low Spirit and no healing gems.

Bit of a devil's bargain, honestly. You might settle for leather right now, then either add a v2 scepter for healing later or a sell the obsidian later (unbinds on tier upgrade, so remember not to re-equip!) and transition to cloth.

Enjoytrade
07-02-2015, 08:58 AM
It is nice to hear your opinion on the options. Thank you.

Gernot
07-02-2015, 10:06 AM
@Gamemako: The question was gear for a noob pally. I guess you know well how much money was spent on the korean guy you posted. Furthermore def gems are very expensive on the server clusters i play on and check. So yeah, you can get 7+k mdef unbuffed with cloth, but that is the exeption, not the rule. If he does not want to spend hunderts of $, i really dont think cloth is the option.