PDA

View Full Version : Tanky mage class

BarackRost
07-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Hey guys,

Im looking for class, that deals magic damage with good mobility and also has a great survivability via high sustain or defense.
Like the dagger/dagger mage in Gw2.

Is there any viable class combination something like this ? (for pvp)

Kutsus
07-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Swiftstone (Sorc, Shadow, Defense) can be very good.

Coffey
07-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Defiler! Occ/Def/Witch loved playing it

stayhumble
07-31-2014, 05:53 PM
thaumaturge

BarackRost
08-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Thanks, im gonna check them out :)

Calibix
08-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Currently playing Abolisher, but would like to play a tanky mage on release.

Thaumatuge build look something like this (http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/50419)? Int sta cloth or int str sta?

Jadae
08-18-2014, 10:25 PM
This is my primary role. There are other classes for it, too.

Prepare for love archeum if you want to wield a shield + katana or scepter.

Linkthehobo
08-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Aura+Witch+Defense. Dreambreaker.

stayhumble
08-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Currently playing Abolisher, but would like to play a tanky mage on release.

Thaumatuge build look something like this (http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/50419)? Int sta cloth or int str sta?

int\sta ...u have no melee attacks.

Calibix
08-19-2014, 06:06 AM
int\sta ...u have no melee attacks.

Wasn't sure if you wanted str for block chance or not.

Any critique on the build? I have no experience with sorcery so pure speculation in that tree for me.

Bloodlust
08-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Mage tanks ftw!

Coffey
08-19-2014, 06:53 AM
You know you dont have to have Defense tree to use scepter+board.

Jester08
08-19-2014, 07:30 AM
I like the build Cali. A little mobility with Comet and Tele. You'll build Mettle fast when taking dmg and Boastful is awesome. You lack CC. Maybe find a way to get Frigid Tracks so you can attempt Deep Freeze or at least slow your target a little easier with a couple instant Ice Bolts. You are getting some much needed Phys Def and with a minor change could even drop a couple points in Def and keep a 2h staff for max dmg. The 2 point Aura passive always looks good too.

Calibix
08-20-2014, 02:31 AM
You know you dont have to have Defense tree to use scepter+board.

I know; however, defense gives me the extra defense against physical damage that I'm looking for while still wearing cloth.

I like the build Cali. A little mobility with Comet and Tele. You'll build Mettle fast when taking dmg and Boastful is awesome. You lack CC. Maybe find a way to get Frigid Tracks so you can attempt Deep Freeze or at least slow your target a little easier with a couple instant Ice Bolts. You are getting some much needed Phys Def and with a minor change could even drop a couple points in Def and keep a 2h staff for max dmg. The 2 point Aura passive always looks good too.

Thanks for the critique. As I said I have no experience with the sorcery tree so it was entirely speculation. My thought is to level as a Thaumaturge then swap Auramancy with Witchcraft to play endgame as a Dreambreaker. This is the build I plan on using for that (http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/52397). Any thoughts are appreciated.

Shiiru
08-20-2014, 07:37 AM
I know; however, defense gives me the extra defense against physical damage that I'm looking for while still wearing cloth.

Thanks for the critique. As I said I have no experience with the sorcery tree so it was entirely speculation. My thought is to level as a Thaumaturge then swap Auramancy with Witchcraft to play endgame as a Dreambreaker. This is the build I plan on using for that (http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/52397). Any thoughts are appreciated.

The build you plan on using doesn't have a main ability to use over an over, the passive in witchcraft has a typo, it removes Earthen Grip's cast time rather than cooldown. For pvp it would probably work, since there isn't much time to stand still and just spam an ability, but pve your not really doing much.

Kriptini
08-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Swiftstone is a great class if you don't suck. Thaumaturge is more mobile but overall worse IMO.

Cabalist (Sorc/Def/Witch) is also strong, but has no mobility skills.

Kriptini
08-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Keep in mind that Dreambreaker - while extremely clutch - is a very niche build that can only function properly in group PvP, and it doesn't contribute much damage. You have to shoot out CC's while attempting to keep anything not CC'd on you. It's basically a tunnel-visioned "Disruptor" and a very unusual kind of class to play.

Vryyce
08-20-2014, 08:04 AM
This is my primary role. There are other classes for it, too.

Prepare for love archeum if you want to wield a shield + katana or scepter.

This is one of my biggest beefs with the game. Tanky Mages and Healers are discouraged from the start due to lack of weapon drops. I will be a Swiftstone, but only after I level to 50 as a Blighter and then level Sorcery. Shame that is the easiest path to getting there.

Coffey
08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Swiftstone is a great class if you don't suck. Thaumaturge is more mobile but overall worse IMO.

Cabalist (Sorc/Def/Witch) is also strong, but has no mobility skills.
Swiftstone is great for mass PVP, but on 1v1 you can be cc'd to death by daggerspells and other similar classes.

Kirito956
08-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Defiler! Occ/Def/Witch loved playing it

While you don't have very long cast times, you don't have any mobility skills, or any CC breaks (besides Fear+Sleep immunity) but you are extremely tanky.
I would strongly reccomend Skullknight for Group PvP. You've got one of if not the strongest engages in the game, overall great defenses while getting more out of Aura than you would out of Shadow.

When it comes to picking classes/trees I like to look at them objectively, what will a tree do for me, and what am I looking for in my three trees.

First would be that you want Magic dmg.
You've got your typical trinity of Magic trees
Sorc (Pure dmg with no strong hard CC),
Witch (Mostly Single Target CC with some buffs, Fear + Sleep Immunity, and +500 magic def)
Occ (AoE CC with Melee dmg reflecting shield.)

In my opinion the most mobile class would be a tie between Witch and Occ, because when you combo some skills or invest into the Witch passive tree (9+ skill points) a cast time or two are reduced or removed.
Occ doesn't have any cast times besides it's lvl 50 skill which is channeled and not very popular atm unless you're mainly build dps not tanky.
This means that you can spam mana stars (basic attack) at range and continue kiting/dodging without any cast times.
You can get your entire combo off very quickly without having to stand stationary while you do so.

Witch has alot more ranged CC than Occ but also requires more cast times and you don't have very much AoE CC.
Basically if you're going into Witch you'll want to go deep into the tree to reap all the benefits.

Thus I would choose Occ over Witch if you're going to be in melee range and tanking, you'll have a larger impact on the overall fight and feel like you're actually doing something notable. I'm basing this off your original post.

Next would be your mobility, good mobility usually comes from two trees, Aura and Shadow. Which you choose largely depends on how many points you are willing to put in, but whether you intend to be in the thick of it, which it seems you want.

While Shadow provides good kiting with Dropback and engage/escapes with the lvl 50 skill, the tree doesn't provide anything for you beyond those two skills besides stealth, which in group PvP can be countered imo.

Aura provides you with two CC breaks (Immunity to Stun + Impales for 4 secs with the break, Immunity from Silence + Shackle for 20 I believe without a break.)
A 10m AoE pull
A 15m teleport (your basic blink/flash/teleport. I use for initiations.)
An HP buff you can place on others and yourself.
A 26% magic sheild.

Tangent: A single target 7sec (in pvp) sleep that inturrupts and is instant cast, meaning you can stop someone in their casting animation, even if the animation is only 1-2sec long. I saw my guild mate never be feared in a 3/5 series with a friend who was using Witch. The times were decently synced so that whenever the guys Fear was up, so was Leech.

All these things considered, if you want to tank in PvP Aura is your better choice.

Next would be for Tanking.
This you can argue all you like, when you're tanking, Cloth is the best option. Really.
The set bonuses really make Cloth better than any of armor. If you just look at one part of the multitude of aspects to the set bonus, you get -30% duration of CC on you. Making you able to tank through alot of CC, and trust me there will be alot xD

If you want to look at stats instead, Plate doesn't give any mdef but Cloth gives about 10% of Mdef in phys def. One chest piece gave 300 magic def and 30 phys def. Still giving strong magic def, but making you a better rounded tank.
And there's a few other reasons I feel I don't need to bring up, point is proven.

Now because you're rolling Cloth and you have a ♥♥♥♥ ton of Mdef you need to either avoid Phys dmg or build phys def, hence I would go Def.
Simple as that, you get +700 phys def as a passive... I mean where do you think you're gonna get more def/Hp?
Be a tanky mofo!

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/52701

That's how I came to the conclusion of rolling Skullknight.
You're a caster that can Teleport in, pull, impale, blind, silence, etc. A solid tank/engaging team player. If you're a caster and want to tank this is how I would do it.
If you're a melee tank it's different, but that's not what you asked for.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy and try it out. Take it easy and have fun!

Calibix
08-20-2014, 10:15 AM
The build you plan on using doesn't have a main ability to use over an over, the passive in witchcraft has a typo, it removes Earthen Grip's cast time rather than cooldown. For pvp it would probably work, since there isn't much time to stand still and just spam an ability, but pve your not really doing much.

I was aware of this, but I'm ok with outlasting people. My biggest concern would be archers. The build was intended for pvp as well.

Keep in mind that Dreambreaker - while extremely clutch - is a very niche build that can only function properly in group PvP, and it doesn't contribute much damage. You have to shoot out CC's while attempting to keep anything not CC'd on you. It's basically a tunnel-visioned "Disruptor" and a very unusual kind of class to play.

I enjoy that playstyle. I much prefer a razzle dazzle class than a face melter. I will mostly be doing group pvp as it is so that is fine as well. CC classes are my favorite to play, its just that we haven't seen very many games with CC actually being a factor in awhile.

Jareyk
08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I plan to play a dreambreaker for group (10v10 +) play also. http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/52759/

Coffey
08-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I plan to play a dreambreaker for group (10v10 +) play also. http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/52759/
I tried Dreambreaker, great for party pvp!, viable in 1v1, but didnt liked all stat staling for cd's. If you run cloth+shield you dont really need that M Def passive. Implosion is not needed too, better grab 1st aura pasisve instead. It's just me, but i'd switch Toughten for Comet;s Boon for more mobility.

FletchLives
08-20-2014, 12:00 PM
How do Skullknights fair against Darkrunners? Considering they are both equally geared and in the hands of competent players, can a Skullknight survive the initial opener from a DR to fight back?

Znick
09-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes... but the chance of him doing enough dps to come back "and" win... notgunnahappen.

BasiliskEye
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Earthsinger (Sorcery/Defense/Songcraft) is an obscure but effective burst damage mage with with both survivability and utility. It's not the best class ever, but its one of the few special snowflake builds that are actually effective in most situations.

GummiBear
09-05-2014, 03:52 PM
-snip-
I am considering myself rolling a skullknight, however when it come to leveling one up how would you do in regards to armor, while hopefully being able to also tank instances along the way? Yes it is pretty clear at lvl 50 stone cloth is the way to go, but before then well the cloth is pretty much only for glass canon mages it seem more or less, but plate and leather seem to lack any decent amount of int

Znick
09-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Just wear whatever quest armor you happen to have. I leveled a skullknight to 50 that way. It's silly to spend any real gold on pre 50 stuff unless you're leveling crafting.

Kirito956
09-05-2014, 11:28 PM
How do Skullknights fair against Darkrunners? Considering they are both equally geared and in the hands of competent players, can a Skullknight survive the initial opener from a DR to fight back?

As I have been maining SK for most of Beta, I can survive all of, well most 50 DR. If he comes out of stealth, backstabs right away and has tier 2 Hasla weapons, he will take me below 50%, but most 50 DR that have crafter or just quest gear, even if I don't get Retribution or Redoubt off I can tank through it. I would personally pref Roar over Cheer simply because I'm confident in my return fire, that I can kill them before their CDs are back. You may want to take cheer if you're not very well geared, granted in beta neither am I xD

Kirito956
09-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Yes... but the chance of him doing enough dps to come back "and" win... notgunnahappen.

In Alpha it may have been a different story, in beta not many people are well geared enough to use the class to it's full potential, not to mention they aren't used to the combos well enough to know that I can't be tripped or stunned, so prepare to get dunked without your hasla or any crafted gear. I mean most beta players, well simply aren't alpha players, they haven't played long enough to know the class or gear well.
Practice is a large part, and Skullknights have alot to counter DR if they can get the buffs and blind off soon enough. First thing I do is Redoubt then Shrug, but I'm learning I should shrug first just to aviod the Overwhelm stun, which I know I should do, but instinctively reach for the trip immunity, thinking that Shrug won't proc fast enough.

Kirito956
09-05-2014, 11:36 PM
I am considering myself rolling a skullknight, however when it come to leveling one up how would you do in regards to armor, while hopefully being able to also tank instances along the way? Yes it is pretty clear at lvl 50 stone cloth is the way to go, but before then well the cloth is pretty much only for glass canon mages it seem more or less, but plate and leather seem to lack any decent amount of int

Personally it's alot of preference. I don't mind just rolling cloth and staff till 20-25 when I can craft a scepter, just kite and use Mana stars.
Today I realized two other SK in my guild are running sword and shield and using the Def combos with Boastful Roar to lvl.
So I mean personally I would do whatever worked for you until you hit 25 and go scepter and shield. I even alter my build so I can get the +700 phys def ASAP.
If soloing, Plate and running the shield bash combo isn't a bad idea, just something I wouldn't have thought of.
What I did in all actuality was lvl to 24 with battlerage instead of Occ and then swap when I get the gear for it. At 50 my Occ was 47-48.
There's a ton that you can do, but I find that in a group 20 lvls go by so fast I don't mind rolling staff and cloth.
Again, just my preferences and experiences.

Spyrit
09-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Skullknight has a weakness, both daggerspell and lamentor will beat it.

stayhumble
09-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Skullknight has a weakness, both daggerspell and lamentor will beat it.

occult mages are just so icky to me and its sad because I want to roll one.

garfield
09-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Anyone found a filler for dreambreaker while waiting for enervate - grip combo? Maybe switching auramancy to shadowplay is a necessity to maintain mobility and have access to fillers?

Coffey
09-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Anyone found a filler for dreambreaker while waiting for enervate - grip combo? Maybe switching auramancy to shadowplay is a necessity to maintain mobility and have access to fillers?
The fillers you are looking for are sleep and bubble hahha.

Vendral
09-06-2014, 08:01 AM
It's one thing to say that a class is a good Mage / Tank -- but i can provide some proof -- I've witnessed this guy first hand in Hasla taking on entire raids by himself ... don't believe my words check out these video's ... His name is Kayemzee and he's the Guild Lead for Philosopher Kings -- Enjoy ;)

Defiler pvp in its truest form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVk16LeP2XY

Kayemzee's Masterpiece Build / Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMy1-xguvDo

Coffey
09-06-2014, 08:07 AM
It's one thing to say that a class is a good Mage / Tank -- but i can provide some proof -- I've witnessed this guy first hand in Hasla taking on entire raids by himself ... don't believe my words check out these video's ... His name is Kayemzee and he's the Guild Lead for Philosopher Kings -- Enjoy ;)

Defiler pvp in its truest form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVk16LeP2XY

Kayemzee's Masterpiece Build / Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMy1-xguvDo

His masterpiece is gear. Post some equally geared ppl pvping.

Vendral
09-06-2014, 08:52 AM
His masterpiece is gear. Post some equally geared ppl pvping.

You have obviously been touched badly by this person. So badly in fact as not to even notice he's only in Heroic Lake Cloth Gear -- what makes Kayemzee what he is, is the fact that he can actually pvp -- regardless of gear, going up aginst 5+ players in this game can spell death for any solo player. If you havn't noticed, which im sure you already have, he uses the best mana pots / health pots in the game. This is also another reason why he's so OP. The fact that a single player can go head on aginst 5+ players doesn't warrant any kind of applause at all? His gear is mediocre at best, ♥♥♥♥ everyone can get in the game. I dont see where your comment is valid at all. Sorry just my opinion as someone who recognizes a good pvp'er vs a ♥♥♥♥ one, then complains when their entire guild can't kill a single person. As seen in the last few minutes of the first video i posted.

Coffey
09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
You have obviously been touched badly by this person. So badly in fact as not to even notice he's only in Heroic Lake Cloth Gear -- what makes Kayemzee what he is, is the fact that he can actually pvp -- regardless of gear, going up aginst 5+ players in this game can spell death for any solo player. If you havn't noticed, which im sure you already have, he uses the best mana pots / health pots in the game. This is also another reason why he's so OP. The fact that a single player can go head on aginst 5+ players doesn't warrant any kind of applause at all? His gear is mediocre at best, ♥♥♥♥ everyone can get in the game. I dont see where your comment is valid at all. Sorry just my opinion as someone who recognizes a good pvp'er vs a ♥♥♥♥ one, then complains when their entire guild can't kill a single person. As seen in the last few minutes of the first video i posted.
Lv50 hero gear that everyone can get for few thousands for a piece.
You forgot hes using ♥♥♥♥ty +def/mdef pots and the spellbooks. Probably the honor pots too but didnt bothered looking which ♥♥♥♥ty ones they are.

I'm not saying that hes bad or good, but it gives wrong impression about the class, you cant just respec and do the same.

Vendral
09-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Lv50 hero gear that everyone can get for few thousands for a piece.
You forgot hes using ♥♥♥♥ty +def/mdef pots and the spellbooks. Probably the honor pots too but didnt bothered looking which ♥♥♥♥ty ones they are.

I'm not saying that hes bad or good, but it gives wrong impression about the class, you cant just respec and do the same.

I had a whole list of stuff i wanted to say about what you wrote, but i found myself going off on a tangent and not keeping to the forum thread specifics. So i will just say this. You win =)

Coffey
09-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I had a whole list of stuff i wanted to say about what you wrote, but i found myself going off on a tangent and not keeping to the forum thread specifics. So i will just say this. You win =)
That wasnt my point ^.^"

I just dont want see ppl being missleaded by video. I was helping PK in sieges, and i have nothing to them, they are cool. But it would be good for people to see some ppl doing 1v1 arena or 5v5 arena with others in similar gear. There was one stream with a vid like that but was taken down ;(
http://www.twitch.tv/keaton_au/profile
For few hours he was just doing arena as Dreambreaker, Nightwitch and Shadowknight, he linked his gear too.

Wraithtorn
09-06-2014, 10:44 AM
What makes him what he is are all the OP Pots and spellbooks he uses. He is fighting very undergeared people trying to farm tokens in hasla.
While I plan and going Defiler/Skullknight for launch I was blighter in alpha. During the closing days of alpha I bought the pots and books and was able to tank and kill entire unbuffed groups easily

garfield
09-06-2014, 01:15 PM
That wasnt my point ^.^"

I just dont want see ppl being missleaded by video. I was helping PK in sieges, and i have nothing to them, they are cool. But it would be good for people to see some ppl doing 1v1 arena or 5v5 arena with others in similar gear. There was one stream with a vid like that but was taken down ;(
http://www.twitch.tv/keaton_au/profile
For few hours he was just doing arena as Dreambreaker, Nightwitch and Shadowknight, he linked his gear too.

what you suggest for filler if you play dreambreaker? should i switch to shadowknight to have that?

Coffey
09-06-2014, 01:23 PM
what you suggest for filler if you play dreambreaker? should i switch to shadowknight to have that?
You use enervate+grip, focal, dahuta, comet's, then bubble/sleep them and wait these few seconds for CD.
Nightwitch has spammable from Songcraft and shadowknight can pick rapid strikes if you really need spammable.

garfield
09-06-2014, 01:37 PM
You use enervate+grip, focal, dahuta, comet's, then bubble/sleep them and wait these few seconds for CD.
Nightwitch has spammable from Songcraft and shadowknight can pick rapid strikes if you really need spammable.

thanks, i hesitate between shadowplay and auramancy then.

Coffey
09-06-2014, 01:42 PM
thanks, i hesitate between shadowplay and auramancy then.
Shadowplay is more fun, stun+knockdown, dropback, stealth, freerunner, shadowstep.
Auramancy will make you more tanky and allows you to counter CC.

garfield
09-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Shadowplay is more fun, stun+knockdown, dropback, stealth, freerunner, shadowstep.
Auramancy will make you more tanky and allows you to counter CC.

how often roar crit for you in a dreambreaker setup? this could be the deciding factor

Coffey
09-06-2014, 02:00 PM
how often roar crit for you in a dreambreaker setup? this could be the deciding factor
Meh its really hard to crit Roar, i think its melee crit, but with Shrug it Off you can crit up to 7,2-7,5k.

Kriptini
09-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Meh its really hard to crit Roar, i think its melee crit, but with Shrug it Off you can crit up to 7,2-7,5k.

Boastful Roar is a magic crit.

garfield
09-06-2014, 02:32 PM
if i go shadowknight, can i keep scepter/shield and cloth or should i switch to sword/shield and plate?

Coffey
09-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Really!? With occultism or sorcery passives it should crit pretty nicely then :O

GummiBear
09-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Just wear whatever quest armor you happen to have. I leveled a skullknight to 50 that way. It's silly to spend any real gold on pre 50 stuff unless you're leveling crafting.
well you need the lowerlvl armor to craft the lvl 50 anyway, but was not really crafted vs quest i was talking about but rather what type, cloth, leather or plate

Mahrroh
09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
if i go shadowknight, can i keep scepter/shield and cloth or should i switch to sword/shield and plate?

Stick with cloth armor and scepter/shield. If you can ever afford one, one of those lovely Katana's would work as well.

Tesseractual
09-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Do we have anyone here trying out Thaumaturge? Any thoughts on how it fairs against Skullknight?

Znick
09-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Do we have anyone here trying out Thaumaturge? Any thoughts on how it fairs against Skullknight?

It's tanky like a Skullknight, but IMO more suited for longer ranged combat, where a Skullknight gets up and personal. A Thauma can too, but isn't as likely to, nor is it needed.

Splat
09-06-2014, 06:28 PM
how good would a scion be ?

sorc defence vitalism

Coffey
09-07-2014, 01:12 AM
how good would a scion be ?

sorc defence vitalism
Since Heals and magic damage dont go in pair, you would want to go full sorcery(11) and def(10) leaving 2 points for Vitalism, Mirror light+Aranzeb's Boon or Skewer.

GummiBear
09-07-2014, 03:40 AM

I highly doubt that seeing as every other skill in defense scale with melee attack

gevr
09-07-2014, 05:29 AM
I highly doubt that seeing as every other skill in defense scale with melee attack

Except it's true.

Coffey
09-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Well back then the Ollo was magic, the roar does not scale off any stat but it has ho have its critical rate based off something, and it could be magic. It should be easly checked by using roar together with +x% magic crit from sorcery and occultism. With over 30% magic crit it should be easly noticeable if its magic crit chance or not. AND if its affected by occultism +x% magic critical damage passives.

Too bad i dont have high lvl toon on beta server, i should have tested it on alpha...

garfield
09-07-2014, 06:04 AM
coffey, i tried that enervate combo including that bow snare, but somehow the snare doesn't last 3 full seconds but only 0 second.
I tried this multiple times to no avail.
any help on this?

Coffey
09-07-2014, 06:08 AM
coffey, i tried that enervate combo including that bow snare, but the snare fails. the animation lasts 1 seconds, but no snare is registered on the target.
I tried this multiple times to no avail.
any help on this?
The snare is so short and animation takes so long, plus the grip animation is so slow it will work only at almost point blank range. The snare will fade long before the grip will hit the target at full range.

GummiBear
09-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Except it's true.

well show me some proof and i believe it, but until then since all other trees stick to one dmg type i will assume it is phys at least

garfield
09-07-2014, 06:34 AM
The snare is so short and animation takes so long, plus the grip animation is so slow it will work only at almost point blank range. The snare will fade long before the grip will hit the target at full range.

so there doesnt seem any other way to get a snare, except switching trees? that sucks

Phain
09-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Awesome recommendations, thanks for the ideas!

Tesseractual
09-07-2014, 11:16 AM
It's been democratically decided by a vote of 99 braincells to one that I should move from Skullknight to Thaumaturge. I tooled around with it a bit but didn't have the levels to make it work in full. I know a lot of people can't see the reasoning behind Thaumaturge but in the group I play with and our common engagements I think it'll go further than what skullknight can. Have a look, let me know what you would change.

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/89657
or
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/89692

Current thoughts are: Impolision into Freezing Earth/Chain Lightning, keep my daggerspells happy for when they open up. Frigid Tracks/Flame Barrier Freezing Arrow for disruption tactics. Shield Slam/Bull Rush on snared targets for damage. Flamebolts/Meteor Strikes when I'm waiting on cooldowns or being ignored.

Sidebar--I have a current working theory that small-medium groups utilizing combos across the group can be more effective then clusters of primevals and darkrunners. Still a theory in development. Hoping Thaumaturge works a miracle and adds to that discussion.

PatronSaint
09-07-2014, 11:30 AM
I agree with a lot of what Coffey has said. I myself perfer Dreambreaker, just in my exp in pvp in a lot of other games, the 2 most important things for any pvp spec have always been CC breaks and mobility. I get that those vids make Defiler look amazing but after every game I've pvped in I just cant get myself to consider a less mobile class without CC breaks lol. Also with dreambreaker based on how you build it you could go def/aura heavy and be more like a skullknight, pop in, start the fight, CC everyone or you can build it more like a defiler with a bit more mobility and the CC breaks though lol. Either way you build it though its great for group pvp, I would recommend of course the more defiler like build if you want to 1v1

Coffey
09-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Thaumaturge/Swiftstone are great picks for team fight/war
I would go like this http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/89710 or something similar for 70v70

Doing siege few times with my Swiftstone i found out that ShadowStep>Flame Barrier>Freezing Earth>Drop Back>Flamebolt really does wonders against stationary targets like few archers being busy spamming arrows. The Overwhelm and Drop Back are so well working with Sorcery i dunno if i would change it for Auramancy.

Liquor
09-08-2014, 01:19 PM
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/93872

That's what I'd do for thaumaturge. Auramancy is interesting as I think with this build the 5 points in it can be used for whatever you prefer.

Tesseractual
09-08-2014, 01:23 PM
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/93872

That's what I'd do for thaumaturge. Auramancy is interesting as I think with this build the 5 points in it can be used for whatever you prefer.

You and I are pretty damn close on our builds. I dropped something for liberation but I think I can get away with it if I build cloth into my Thaumaturge. Thanks for the help everyone. Despite what the loud majority would have us believe this is a pretty cool community.

Sacrid1
09-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Want super mobility?? Loads of fun

http://arche-base.com/builds/view/15585-Enigma#8.4.7/Cka1JAbvtps1

niwa
09-08-2014, 01:46 PM

http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#8.4.7/Cka1mmbvtps1

0 dmg build?

Linc420
09-08-2014, 01:54 PM

http://arche-base.com/builds/view/15585-Enigma#8.4.7/Cka1JAbvtps1

While I don't agree with the point spread, Enigmatist can be very mobile high damage and fun. I don't think it qualifies as a tanky mage though

Arilyn
09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Normally defense and mage don't go together, but I guess you could try Defense Aura and Sorcery? This also means Scepter and Shield. Not really recommended but you can do it. With a mage the best defense is a good offense.

garfield
09-16-2014, 03:14 AM
after playing dreambreaker it's super resilient. but I hate cd stalling. I think I will roll skullknight after all.
I have questions
1) boastful roar being magic damage, can occultism passive augment its damage?
I think of:
- reprisal (+20% crit chance on receiving crit damage)
- macabre reach (+20% crit damage)
- op spell locus (+15% magic damage on receiving damage, stackable 5 times, must not move)
2) I heard Vicious implosion does alot of damage. is that true?
- using 3 stacked inspire.
- on crit vs non-crit.
- using occultism passives above.

if answers are yes and yes, I think I will roll this build:
http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#3.5.4/GBx1Hsl3PUs1

garfield
09-16-2014, 09:18 AM
any insight/feedback on my questions?

Rigermortis
09-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Aura+Witch+Defense. Dreambreaker.

Pretty keen on a Cabalist build myself: Sorc\Witch\Def

Lots of ranged threat, burst damage, and control and very very robust defensively against magic specifically but also against physical attacks.

Was originally thinking of building with Occult or Aura instead of Witch. Idea was one class devoted to one task - Sorc for pure damage/Threat, Def for Tankiness, and Occult/Aura for CC + Movement buffs. But Witch passives were too sexy to resist as well as buffs to magic survivability.

This is what I'm thinking of currently: http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#7.2.3/8UEBGAjSZxG

garfield
09-17-2014, 04:33 AM
after playing dreambreaker it's super resilient. but I hate cd stalling. I think I will roll skullknight after all.
I have questions
1) boastful roar being magic damage, can occultism passive augment its damage?
I think of:
- reprisal (+20% crit chance on receiving crit damage)
- macabre reach (+20% crit damage)
- op spell locus (+15% magic damage on receiving damage, stackable 5 times, must not move)
2) I heard Vicious implosion does alot of damage. is that true?
- using 3 stacked inspire.
- on crit vs non-crit.
- using occultism passives above.

if answers are yes and yes, I think I will roll this build:
http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#3.5.4/GBx1Hsl3PUs1

any answers please?