PDA

View Full Version : Ranger build

wildence
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Wondering if all Ranger builds have to come with shadowplay?
I prefer not to be melee, yet if i go caster, ill need gear with INT too and AGI ?

what would be a good pve build for myself?

Destabilizator
08-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Shadowplay is used not for melee stuff, but utility (and Poison Shot if you want).

Enzichan
08-04-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm curious about this, as well.

DUSK
08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
First off, “Ranger” is an actual trinity in this game. Archery, Shadowplay & Vitalism last I checked (works well with a great club); but don’t hold me to it.

More to the point. Both Archery and Shadow play have bow based attacks so they are frequently used together. However, you could have a bow based build that uses only archery or only Shadow Play. The second option may not be too feasible, but nonetheless it is possible.

Archery revolves around the bow. The vast majority of skills are bow attacks or passives to improve your bow. What’s left over is Crowd Control (CC) or mobility enhancing.

ShadowPlay is on the other hand most associated with the typical rogue class and is a hybrid between three fields: Ranged attacks (Bow), Melee Attacks and Utility. Most notably the skill trees utility revolves around stealth, mobility & Aggro reduction.

Overall the Archer’s strength in this game is range and mobility. So Archer & ShadowPlay are very often seen together in builds due to the fantastic array of complementary skills. But no, you don’t need them both if you don’t want to.

Frequently seen pairings with Archery/ShadowPlay are:
Auramancy – CC breaks, mobility, self-buffs
Defense – Self-buffs, damage mitigation
Vitalism – Self-Buffs, self-heals, group-heals
Witchcraft – CC’s

But there is no reason that builds like Archery/Defense/Aura or Archery/BattleRage/Defense can’t work. If you like it, run it and don’t let anyone else tell you differently. This is the fun in ArcheAges combat system. Now you just have to figure out how to gear it.

For the second part of your question, it gets a little more complicated. Yes for archery you want to stack Agility, and lots of it. Agility will also increase your evasion rate making you harder to hit. The secondary and tertiary stats are all up to the trinity you choose and your chosen play style. Say if you go Archery/Shadowplay/Witchcraft for example. You may want to stack a little Intelligence to up the damage in Witch? Or like most that run it, you may only be after the CC’s in the tree and you only rely on the bow for the damage.

Conversely if you go Archery/Shadowplay/Defense. Do you split Agility (ranged damage and evade) with Strength (Melee damage and block chance)? This is my personal favorite and I choose to stack Agility and Stamina, and then acquired additional block chance from the cape.

Sometimes it’s a no brainer. Other builds, it comes down to either A LOT of trial and error or a lot of talking to others and research from those who have done A LOT of trial and error. Again, this is the fun in ArcheAges combat system.

wildence
08-04-2014, 06:45 PM
thanks Dusk!

Kuryoku
08-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Wondering if all Ranger builds have to come with shadowplay?
I prefer not to be melee, yet if i go caster, ill need gear with INT too and AGI ?

what would be a good pve build for myself?

Shadowplay is used with Archery because there is a ton of synergy if you plan on using your bow all the time, so yes it is used for just about every Archery build.

Here is a Stone Archer build that works well in PvE: http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/33487
A ton of open skill points because it's hard for me to judge which of the future skills would be more beneficial without playing this class myself. Bear's Vigor from the Defense tree should also be taken once you figure out which of those other skills you feel like you need.

Imperialsun
08-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Forgive my ignorance as I am still getting to grips with the finer details and have not been able to play the game as yet.

But all the talk in this thread makes me think AA is "classless" and in fact you can drop any skillset into your build in order to find a level of synergy and/or performance that you are happy with....and respec any of the three at any time if you have the gold for the respec....

It *sounds* a lot like SWGs Pre CU mix and match skill based system? Would that be an accurate description?

Zeno
08-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Yes, out of the ten skill sets, you'll have three to work with at any given time after level 10. From there, the particular combination of skill sets will render your class name. I don't know how SWG works, but some specifics on AAs would be:

You can change out any of your three skill sets at any Skill manager or Nui Priestess for a small fee
You cannot use skills in your hotkeys from skill sets you do not have equipped (i.e. you can't use Endless Arrows if you don't have Archery as one of your current skill sets)
Skill sets level up independently of your character's level and of each other (only the skill sets equipped gain exp)
Higher level the skill set, the more active skills are available to you (Passive skills are unlocked by having a certain amount of skill points in a skill set)
At any time, you can go to your skills (default key binding is "K" of course) and reset the Skill point distributions of your skills for a small fee
When you change out a skill set for another, no experience is lost, but the skill set you are not currently using will not gain EXP until the next time you make it one of your three

You can change your stuff however much you want to find what works for you. I myself play the Ranger class mentioned above (Vitalism, Archery, Shadowplay) because I like the utility of Shadowplay and the support of Vitalism. Adding Archery gave me great synergy for offense with Shadowplay, as well as the name Ranger, which I just couldn't resist.

Imperialsun
08-05-2014, 03:46 AM
Yes, out of the ten skill sets, you'll have three to work with at any given time after level 10. From there, the particular combination of skill sets will render your class name. I don't know how SWG works, but some specifics on AAs would be:

You can change out any of your three skill sets at any Skill manager or Nui Priestess for a small fee
You cannot use skills in your hotkeys from skill sets you do not have equipped (i.e. you can't use Endless Arrows if you don't have Archery as one of your current skill sets)
Skill sets level up independently of your character's level and of each other (only the skill sets equipped gain exp)
Higher level the skill set, the more active skills are available to you (Passive skills are unlocked by having a certain amount of skill points in a skill set)
At any time, you can go to your skills (default key binding is "K" of course) and reset the Skill point distributions of your skills for a small fee
When you change out a skill set for another, no experience is lost, but the skill set you are not currently using will not gain EXP until the next time you make it one of your three

You can change your stuff however much you want to find what works for you. I myself play the Ranger class mentioned above (Vitalism, Archery, Shadowplay) because I like the utility of Shadowplay and the support of Vitalism. Adding Archery gave me the name Ranger, which I just couldn't resist.

Superb...thanks very much :) Man I am loving everything I hear about AA!!

Imperialsun
08-05-2014, 03:48 AM

You can change your stuff however much you want to find what works for you. I myself play the Ranger class mentioned above (Vitalism, Archery, Shadowplay) because I like the utility of Shadowplay and the support of Vitalism. Adding Archery gave me great synergy for offense with Shadowplay, as well as the name Ranger, which I just couldn't resist.

One more question, once you have decided on your skill set, how do you then increase your stats? I.E. Agility will be obviously be key for a bow class, so your skills levelling up is one thing but how would I then boost my Agility stat? Is it for example weapons and armor that carry additional stats? Or can you increase your base stats with each level?

Zeno
08-05-2014, 03:50 AM
Base stats go up with your level, and they are affected by your choices in class as well, as there are modifiers to each stat. But for the most part, gear is where you'll get the bulk of your stats.

Imperialsun
08-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Base stats go up with your level, and they are affected by your choices in class as well, as there are modifiers to each stat. But for the most part, gear is where you'll get the bulk of your stats.

Thanks, really helpful :)

Glue
08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Nicely said! I will just add that the FOTM and my personal build was StoneArrow (Arch, Shadow and Def) and it worked REALLY well! I only got up to 25 but it was pretty awesome for both PVE and PVP.

Extremeties
08-05-2014, 03:29 PM
First off, “Ranger” is an actual trinity in this game. Archery, Shadowplay & Vitalism last I checked (works well with a great club); but don’t hold me to it.

More to the point. Both Archery and Shadow play have bow based attacks so they are frequently used together. However, you could have a bow based build that uses only archery or only Shadow Play. The second option may not be too feasible, but nonetheless it is possible.

Archery revolves around the bow. The vast majority of skills are bow attacks or passives to improve your bow. What’s left over is Crowd Control (CC) or mobility enhancing.

ShadowPlay is on the other hand most associated with the typical rogue class and is a hybrid between three fields: Ranged attacks (Bow), Melee Attacks and Utility. Most notably the skill trees utility revolves around stealth, mobility & Aggro reduction.

Overall the Archer’s strength in this game is range and mobility. So Archer & ShadowPlay are very often seen together in builds due to the fantastic array of complementary skills. But no, you don’t need them both if you don’t want to.

Frequently seen pairings with Archery/ShadowPlay are:
Auramancy – CC breaks, mobility, self-buffs
Defense – Self-buffs, damage mitigation
Vitalism – Self-Buffs, self-heals, group-heals
Witchcraft – CC’s

But there is no reason that builds like Archery/Defense/Aura or Archery/BattleRage/Defense can’t work. If you like it, run it and don’t let anyone else tell you differently. This is the fun in ArcheAges combat system. Now you just have to figure out how to gear it.

For the second part of your question, it gets a little more complicated. Yes for archery you want to stack Agility, and lots of it. Agility will also increase your evasion rate making you harder to hit. The secondary and tertiary stats are all up to the trinity you choose and your chosen play style. Say if you go Archery/Shadowplay/Witchcraft for example. You may want to stack a little Intelligence to up the damage in Witch? Or like most that run it, you may only be after the CC’s in the tree and you only rely on the bow for the damage.

Conversely if you go Archery/Shadowplay/Defense. Do you split Agility (ranged damage and evade) with Strength (Melee damage and block chance)? This is my personal favorite and I choose to stack Agility and Stamina, and then acquired additional block chance from the cape.

Sometimes it’s a no brainer. Other builds, it comes down to either A LOT of trial and error or a lot of talking to others and research from those who have done A LOT of trial and error. Again, this is the fun in ArcheAges combat system.

The "Ranger" concept sounds interesting while using a 2h club. Youll get the benefits of the healing bonus with the club for the Vitalism class while still having the strong benefits of the bow for the other ranged aspects. Question is, how effective and efficient would it be? What types or mixes or armor would you use to take advantage of both the healing stats and archery stats? Is it possible to craft armor or find gear that has both agil and wis on it so that you could have both ability modifiers(Ranged dmg and healing) I wonder if having a hybrid is possible with a mix of different gear. From the beta, while I didnt get that high(24) it did seem a bit difficult to be able to build a hybrid just because of the stat differences on gear.

With the 2h club, is there any possibility or way to build a monk type character that is good with melee and self healing? I didnt get to experience any of the crafted weapons 20+ other then a 2h sword.

Extremeties
08-06-2014, 05:27 AM
/bump,

Anyone have any info for my questions above? ^^^^^^^^^^