PDA

View Full Version : Minor text bugs

Artemus Morgan
08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Seraha in Windshade, upon turning in the quest "A father's fate" says that the father "worked as a fishermen". It should read "fisherman".

Margaret in Riverspan, upon turning in the quest "The truth at last" says that Wizard Bellus was "a Dahuta cultists". It should read "cultist".

Really, I'm nitpicking here. :)

Sornin
08-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Seraha in Windshade, upon turning in the quest "A father's fate" says that the father "worked as a fishermen". It should read "fisherman".

Margaret in Riverspan, upon turning in the quest "The truth at last" says that Wizard Bellus was "a Dahuta cultists". It should read "cultist".

It is not nitpicking at all - it is doing the job that any proofreader should have done. While the quest writing in the game is actually pretty good and contains some decent humour (kudos, writers!), the proofreading is subpar (boo, proofreaders!). It is quite common to see blatant typos any spellchecker would find, which is almost inexcusable. I can understand grammatical errors and other things slipping through that require a human to find, but when I see things like "recieve" in the game, I wonder what sort of system they have in place for proofing text because it is failing miserably in many areas.

Honestly, I would say that around 25% - yes, that high - of all quests have some sort of textual error in them, whether it is spelling, grammar, or incorrect item/NPC/location references. If you can see the Alpha Text Bug Reports forum you would notice I have reported dozens, and if I were more strict I could even report more. I am at the point where I let extremely minor things slide simply because it would result in that 25% figure going up to more like 50%, and since I am not being paid by Trion nor has there been any acknowledgement any of this will be fixed, I am not going to go overboard making reports. Thus, I keep it mostly to the obvious things that should jump out at anyone who can read at a high school level.

So, in short, keep reporting these errors as if you do not, Trion will not fix them. You may think they are minor, but, to me, games rife with textual errors show a distinct lack of professional attention, particularly since these errors are so simple to find and fix.

AmazoniaSlays
08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Sornin, I'm sure Trion really does appreciate your efforts. :) The text DOES seem to be changing subtly with each update. I HAVE noticed improvements. I think we need to be patient; this is not only an Alpha--which by definition means text will be in its roughest state--but also a huge game. I'm sure it takes a long time to get all the mistakes corrected.

Artemus Morgan
08-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Spurred on by this, I have one more which I didn't find reported in other places before:

Technical Advisor Percy in Eastern White Arden, upon starting the quest "Hazardous Material" says about the priest in Ardenia "He makes is home in Ardenia". Obviously it should be "his home".

dRuIm
09-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Artemus from Aion, Spartacus?