PDA

View Full Version : ArcheAge Beta Raise Your Sails Contest Results

Scapes
08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AA_GDC_PirateBattle_05_952x414.jpg (http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/08/archeage-beta-raise-your-sails-contest-results)

After much deliberation involving artists, designers, producers, and more here at Trion Worlds, we have the results of the Raise Your Sails contest (http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/07/archeage-beta-raise-your-sails-contest/)! Hundreds of entries were submitted in the contest thread, a stunning display of the ArcheAge community's artistic abilities.

In the end, even with a thorough judging process, we decided to have a tie between two kraken-based entries and to add a prize for the most meta sail (the "404" one) making for a total of seven winners in order from left to right: Tantalus, Gomi, exarlate, Phiph, sweetnaivety, Kokka, caosaur.

http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tantalus.png http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Gomi.png http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/exarlate.png
http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Phiph.png http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/sweetnaivety.jpg http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Kokka.png
http://www.archeagegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/caosaur.png

Read the full article on the website. (http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/08/archeage-beta-raise-your-sails-contest-results/)

divStar
08-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Aww too bad I did not win. Congratulations to the winners!

Zeno
Congratulations. c:

sweetnaivety
OMiGOSH OMiGOSH OMiGOSH THANK YOU OMiGOSH I AM FREAKING OUT

refoT
Darn. But congrats to the winners! Totally knew the mermaid would win!

Sessia
I knew you would win Sweet :)

Sedoris
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Congratulations to the winners! You deserve it! 8]

Kinson
08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
The images are broken for me. Want to see!

sweetnaivety
08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
THANK YOU GUYS, I didn't actually think I would win omigosh I have never won a contest before!!!!!!!!

Sedoris
08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
The sparrow absolutely had to win! it was awesome!

BigDataDude
08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Grats all :)

~BDD

GamerGal
08-05-2014, 06:46 PM
YES the "404 sails not found" won...that 1 made me laugh so hard when I saw it XD

refoT
08-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Is it just me or are the images not loading?

divStar
08-05-2014, 06:47 PM
You have to go here: http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/08/archeage-beta-raise-your-sails-contest-results/

It'd have been nice if the rest was to be mentioned, because I think 42 out of several hundreds isn't that bad :D.

Superfamicom
08-05-2014, 06:48 PM
I was thinking, perhaps the rest of the 42 who made it into finals should get a prize - e.g Gold or the silver packs.

Oh yeah i was also wondering if you guys could post a list of the people who made it into finals, i would love to see the rest of the good ones.

Scapes
08-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Is it just me or are the images not loading?

URLs updated, should show now.

TaintedBushido
08-05-2014, 06:52 PM
*single tear

refoT
08-05-2014, 06:53 PM
URLs updated, should show now.

I see 'em, thanks!

Teterra
08-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Ah well, I didn't win... But congrats to the winners! They are some really amazing pieces! :D

Papp263
08-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Congratulations winners!

Cheers!

Nina
08-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Congratz guys

WoodOx
08-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Congrats! Whens the next contest so I can try again lol =) Thanks for having SEVEN winners, up from three originally. Very cool of you.

Hanji
08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Thoes are really awesome!! Grats guys

Drunkngod
08-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Congrats to the winners!!

Hemel
08-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Any possibility for 5 runner ups to get the gold and silver packs? >_> Would be awesome, not expecting it, though.

Alden
08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Grats the all the winners..

Naloth
08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Congratulations to the winners!!

On that Note ill be spending more time in Gimp/Inkscape. :)

Nixem
08-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Can we see who the top 42 were? I would like to see who was considered :3

Congrats to the winners!!

Redge
08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
GRATZ TO ALL WINNERS

but honestly 404 oO come on there was some guys that worked a lot on beautiful design and like pros -_-''

Jezath
08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
grats guys well done!!

Potnelly
08-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Lovely work all, congratulations!

Hattori
08-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I mean, I dont mind losing to some good work, but so many similar winners that dont stand out, then the 404 that someone made... I mean no offence but some people spent like 10 hours and over, its meant to be a ship sail lol, pretty disappointed in you guys; anyway no use complaining I dont see anything else happening now. Congrats winners~

Hemel
08-05-2014, 08:13 PM
GRATZ TO ALL WINNERS

but honestly 404 oO come on there was some guys that worked a lot on beautiful design and like pros -_-''

Yeah, some of us worked hard on our entries, only to lose to a troll. =/ Kinda wish I trolled.

Hattori
08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Yeah, some of us worked hard on our entries, only to lose to a troll. =/ Kinda wish I trolled.

Mhm disheartens me from entering future events like this, judges gonna be serious about the event and criteria then pick a 5 minute troll design, its not fun when time goes to waste, I would rather someone elses design win, I saw some awesome ones that deserve to be there.

divStar
08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
That troll design was creative even though I did spend half a day on mine .. oh well :/ it is creative, but man it sure is nothing to fit into the fantasy middleage atmosphere. Then again the game isn't about RP sadly.

kalash
08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2IkTuA6.png

That's the one I made for past guild for diff section ^^

Seeing the winners I think the ones who won (Congratulations) but I have seen some better sails out there. Didn't enter this contest but there's 2 winners of kraken related then the 404 probably took 2 minutes, 1 minute to load pait or PS , 30 seconds to pick the text, and 30 to type it out and save it as a ucc. If that's harsh then it should be who the ♥♥♥♥ judged this? xD

Hemel
08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Seeing the winners I think the ones who won (Congratulations) but I have seen some better sails out there. Didn't enter this contest but there's 2 winners of kraken related then the 404 probably took 2 minutes, 1 minute to load pait or PS , 30 seconds to pick the text, and 30 to type it out and save it as a ucc. If that's harsh then it should be who the ♥♥♥♥ judged this? xD

Yeah, so much for creativity and originality when there's two of the same designs (two krakens).

Defalt
08-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Lot of the winners sail pictures are crap. Much better ones out there in the selection.

Fay
08-05-2014, 08:50 PM
My initial entry was going to be a skull/kraken hybrid design but I thought it wasn't creative or original enough as per contest description so I went with something different albeit in hindsight not the best design for a sail and I'm also not a very good designer so I wasn't expecting to win myself but it just would've been nice to see some of the more original or unusual art works win.

That's not to say that the winners are bad I especially like the bird and mermaid but for future reference to those running/judging these contests. If you want a simple design using commonly used pirate symbols like skulls and kraken say so in the description rather than say you basically want unique and creative designs when that was not what you were looking for in winners.

Congrats to the winners though.

Nightscream452
08-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah, so much for creativity and originality when there's two of the same designs (two krakens).

yeah, I have to admit I'm a little upset that after being adamant that there would only be 5 winners this afternoon, we find out that they couldn't make up their minds about TWO kraken entries so they allow both to win?! Then ADD a category for what was a Troll post and very obviously not a serious entry to the contest.

Although I'm not the best artist I did work hard on my entry over a period of days, and to lose to that Troll pic, that took minutes and very little effort to create, It's a little like a slap in the face to everyone else that worked as hard as we did.

I love the winning entries don't get me wrong they are very nice (i particularly love the Mermaid) but that is some serious BS right here.

Congrats to 6 winners you do have some very awesome entries. Sorry but that 404 message gets the cold shoulder from me.

Rotrum
08-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Am also curious as to who the 42 were (Because 42 is a perfect number). Am a bit disappointed that a troll post did win even if it didn't take a spot away from any deserving winners.

Hemel
08-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Am also curious as to who the 42 were (Because 42 is a perfect number). Am a bit disappointed that a troll post did win even if it didn't take a spot away from any deserving winners.

I'd like to see the list, too, would let us see who the other choices and finalists would have been.

HolyAvengerOne
08-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Very well done, congrats to all the winners and runner-ups =)

.X.
08-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Congrats. ^-^

Kiwi
08-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Gratz to all the winners!

Moriens
08-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Grats to the winners of course, but would have liked to see some honorable mentions. The sparrow pic is really good and I think the bottom right kraken/octopus thing is kinda neat. The others I would have included as honorable mentions though, especially the 404. While it is funny, it should not have won in this contest. I saw plenty of other art put out by other members that should have easily weeded some of these other selections out, but that is just my opinion. Good job to all of those that submitted their art into the contests as well, lot of cool stuff designs.

MooseyStyle
08-05-2014, 11:11 PM
congrats to all the winners. I didn't win but no hard feelings. I spent several hours myself trying to design something in photoshop by hand without copyright infringing and it came out a little rougher than I expected. I wish the winners good luck and those that participated and used their own fresh images without copying and pasting from the net to keep your heads up. There was a lot of great designs that would have probably won some photoshop contests on other sites. I knew cause I use to be in them like crazy.

Anyways, Unless I get an invite to Beta 3 I probably won't be back until Open Beta unless there's another contest of course. I can't afford 50 bucks- 150 bucks which is way too steep for a beta or founders pack in my opinion. I caught Landmark on sale on steam last weekend for like 6 bucks and haven't looked back since. Got ot say I'm having the time of my life in that game. Unless this game drops down to around 20 or below dollars I'm out guys.

Good Luck to everyone. It's been fun.

divStar
08-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Well the reasoning behind the winners here is clear: Trion wanted to demonstrate, that one does not have to be an insane Photoshop expert to create some sail logo. But tbh while the 404-logo is creative imo, it still is a smack in the face at everyone who actually worked several hours on their professionally looking work. Then again this was not a contest of skills apparently - if it was DeviantArt none except the bird and the mermaid would have stood a chance. Unfortunately this isn't DeviantArt so it's alright. I got my Founder's Pack a few weeks ago - I'd have given away what I won to a friend of mine.

Really though: the prices for the founder's packs are almost insane (and here I thought Landmark has been expensive). Sure - it's my choice. I just wish publishers wouldn't milk their players so much and offer them more. Then again I'm not in dreamland. It's sad though, that the prices (crystal ones) on AA RU is at least a bit lower. In the west apparently everyone is considered rich anyway. Well .. I have bought the pack. I will enjoy it, but please Trion: at least don't milk the players instantly - I wanna play ArcheAge for a year or two - before Black Desert hits the stores. With no ability to adjust the body structure ArcheAge does not really stand a chance character creation wise. And the combat system is dowdy, too. And since I am a role-player, I need those costumes and clothes - and a LOT of space for the items.

I hope for the best. I wasn't too happy with my Rift CE, though. First the USB-Sticks being cheapos and not working.. then Rift itself going to hell :/.

Deicidium
08-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Eh, congrats to the winners!

Sadly I have to agree with what has been said about the troll one. While it is indeed funny and technically didn't take anyone's spot away, it's kind of a slap to the face to everyone who actually bothered to work hard on their projects. Props to Trion for giving away even more rewards than initially promised, though!

Lysett
08-06-2014, 12:32 AM
Congrats to the winners!

There were so many good entries in total it was probably difficult.

Tantalus
08-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow, thank you so much! I was hoping but not expecting anything :-) Congratulations to the other winners! Thanks to everyone who likes my sparrow and thanks to the trion team for picking my entry. Keep up your good work everyone.

There where so many great crests out there and so many great ideas. I want to encourage everyone who didn't make it to go on with drawing. Even if you think you are not good enough, just go on and find your style and train and you will be.

See you in game! :-D

TaintedBushido
08-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I hope to see more art contests in the future.

exarlate
08-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Thank you so much, I am honored to be a part of the winners. Congratulations to everyone else who won.

And for people who have a problem with the 404 sail; I understand it must be tough to see such a simple design win when you've put down so much effort on your entries, but the idea is a very good and creative one. And while "anyone could have done it", not "anyone" could have come up with the idea. In terms of a logo, more often then not "the simpler the better" is the rule. Good art is rarely about the technique. Let's not have any more discussions about who should or shouldn't have won, the entries were judged by professional people and I think they did a great job. The criterias were very open ended and subject for personal interpretation, so let's stop this discontent about the results and just be grateful you had a chance to enter at all.
Taste is subjective, remember that. By entering you automatically acknowledge you might not win. Better luck next time and keep making art.

I look forward to playing the game with you guys.

*raises hat* Cheers!

exarlate
08-06-2014, 01:47 AM

"Creativity" and "Originality" does not necessarly have to mean unique. You can put a creative spin on a commonly used theme and still make it original. As for there being two similar designs, I guess they voted for it and it came out as a tie.

If you want a simple design using commonly used pirate symbols like skulls and kraken say so in the description rather than say you basically want unique and creative designs when that was not what you were looking for in winners.

The criterias were open for personal interpretation. To be fair they never said "unique" and "adherence to the medium" could very well be interpreted as something that fits the seafarer theme.

HyenaNoises
08-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Enjoy this complimentary trophy :U

http://i.imgur.com/7C6cNgx.png

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 02:18 AM
A bit annoying to get beaten by a bit alternative pirate which looks to have been made in 30min.. :/ If they really wanted a pirate i dont get why they didnt go for my steampunk one. Buuut you can always complain and we wont get any out of it. Gratz to the winners

http://i.imgur.com/ZfxqUOD.jpg

Moriens
08-06-2014, 03:31 AM
This forum is used exactly for discussing the results of the contest. There is no reason why anyone shouldn't share their opinions or agreements/disagreements about the results. No one is changing the winners or losers here, but giving their insights into how they thought the competition went and the results that were given.

It is cool that they opened the extra spot for the 404 sail, so that can easily be dismissed since it technically did not eat up another contestant's submission and yes...it was creative. It is also cool that they had the contest in the first place and gave out the rewards that they did, none of this had to take place whatsoever.

Not being a submitter though, I think it is a bit of a slap in the face not to mention some of the close wins or give any consideration as to why others were/were not chosen. I just think a little bit more feedback from the judges was in order for the work that people put into this. I bet if you had a majority vote from the viewers of the forums that there would be a lot of picks for a top 10 list that some of the winners wouldn't have made.

You say that professionals reviewed it, but that taste is subjective...so in what way are the judges professional as opposed to anyone else's opinion? I disagree with at least 4 of their picks. Anyone who is a critic is professional if that is your argument.

To Tantalus: Your sparrow is awesome and I am glad that it is a winner.

The krakenlike creature where the tentacles hook on the end is good and I can see why it was also picked as a winner. I could also see the tribal looking picture be pretty cool on a sail, but I don't feel like the rest of the chosen winners compared with some of the others that I saw in the forums. I thought there were some guaranteed submissions that stood out that didn't make this list. This is not a post about discontent exarlate, but criticisms from a viewer. If you put your art out there, it is subject to scrutiny and that is all I am doing.

Octaman77
08-06-2014, 03:45 AM
This one was the best one imo, unless it wasn't a legit entry.

http://i60.tinypic.com/117setk.png

I think the decision was a bit rushed, but hey ... different people different tastes.
Some codes for the next CB (at least for the final 42 if not for all legit entries) wouldn't hurt anyone.

Kerbe
08-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Congrats to winners. I didn't have strenght to go that competition thread fully through, but there were plenty of good candidates. Not easy competition to win. :) Looking forward of seeing these designs in game!

exarlate
08-06-2014, 04:04 AM
This forum is used exactly for discussing the results of the contest. There is no reason why anyone shouldn't share their opinions or agreements/disagreements about the results. No one is changing the winners or losers here, but giving their insights into how they thought the competition went and the results that were given.

It is cool that they opened the extra spot for the 404 sail, so that can easily be dismissed since it technically did not eat up another contestant's submission and yes...it was creative. It is also cool that they had the contest in the first place and gave out the rewards that they did, none of this had to take place whatsoever.

Not being a submitter though, I think it is a bit of a slap in the face not to mention some of the close wins or give any consideration as to why others were/were not chosen. I just think a little bit more feedback from the judges was in order for the work that people put into this. I bet if you had a majority vote from the viewers of the forums that there would be a lot of picks for a top 10 list that some of the winners wouldn't have made.

You say that professionals reviewed it, but that taste is subjective...so in what way are the judges professional as opposed to anyone else's opinion? I disagree with at least 4 of their picks. Anyone who is a critic is professional if that is your argument.

To Tantalus: Your sparrow is awesome and I am glad that it is a winner.

The krakenlike creature where the tentacles hook on the end is good and I can see why it was also picked as a winner. I could also see the tribal looking picture be pretty cool on a sail, but I don't feel like the rest of the chosen winners compared with some of the others that I saw in the forums. I thought there were some guaranteed submissions that stood out that didn't make this list. This is not a post about discontent exarlate, but criticisms from a viewer. If you put your art out there, it is subject to scrutiny and that is all I am doing.

Of course you might express your opinion, but this thread is starting to look more and more like a ranting place for those who didn't win, instead of congratulating the winners. There is a fine line between simply stating your opinion or sounding downright butthurt. I disagree too with some of their picks (though I disagree more with the general opinion of the forum posters), but hey they won because the people at Trion voted for them and that's very cool and really great for them and I'm happy for them and that's about it. Now let us all be happy and dance around in cicrles throwing flowers at each other.

Yuisoku
08-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Gz winners, sparrow and krakens are really nice

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Of course you might express your opinion, but this thread is starting to look more and more like a ranting place for those who didn't win, instead of congratulating the winners. There is a fine line between simply stating your opinion or sounding downright butthurt. I disagree too with some of their picks (though I disagree more with the general opinion of the forum posters), but hey they won because the people at Trion voted for them and that's very cool and really great for them and I'm happy for them and that's about it. Now let us all be happy and dance around in cicrles throwing flowers at each other.

You can easily say that since you won ( nice work btw), but don't you agree that some of the winners wasn't that good and that there was better entries out there?

odraciro
08-06-2014, 04:31 AM
I was so confident of mine :( life sucks man ....

exarlate
08-06-2014, 04:39 AM
You can easily say that since you won ( nice work btw), but don't you agree that some of the winners wasn't that good and that there was better entries out there?
Yes I know, (and thank you) I don't want to sound like a dick of a winner. I just see no point in the complaints. If you want my total honest opinion there were very very few entries that I found good, though on the other hand I also have a very specific sense of taste, and many seem to disagree with my placement too as a winner, so that opinion ultimately comes down to irrelevant. I just feel like we're focusing on the wrong things here. But I guess my complaining about other people complaining just makes things go round in circles and proves nothing. So, here. Have a flower instead. Flowers are pretty and smell nice.

Lysett
08-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Regardless of the loss, some of us came out of this with some amazing sails and who knows, maybe a chance for commissions to make logos and emblems for people in the future of this game. I'm going to be posting a picture of my Reaper guy on a sail, I am REALLY EXCITED! HE LOOKS AMAZING.

And zee edit:

http://i.imgur.com/6q2rvYH.png
BUT ON THE SAIL
http://i.imgur.com/4aFXNz4.jpg

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Regardless of the loss, some of us came out of this with some amazing sails and who knows, maybe a chance for commissions to make logos and emblems for people in the future of this game. I'm going to be posting a picture of my Reaper guy on a sail, I am REALLY EXCITED! HE LOOKS AMAZING.

I liked the combination of our sails tho.. We should have posted it as an entry! If that 404 sail could win, so could that one :D

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 05:07 AM
There he is! :D
http://i.imgur.com/O0C6yLW.png

My original
http://i.imgur.com/SQMLtDil.jpg

Moriens
08-06-2014, 05:09 AM
I am in love with that combination sail haha! When the 404 connection is fixed, this is what appears ... or the Bill Cosby sail lmao.

divStar
08-06-2014, 05:13 AM
Oh well no use in complaining - as I mentioned above this was not a skill contest. You could obviously win if you were clever enough. I guess I should be more creative and bold (in terms of what I dare to enter a contest with) next time and it's not like any of the google-copy-cats won - so I am perfectly fine with the winners really.

Sedian
08-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Oh well no use in complaining - as I mentioned above this was not a skill contest. You could obviously win if you were clever enough. I guess I should be more creative and bold (in terms of what I dare to enter a contest with) next time and it's not like any of the google-copy-cats won - so I am perfectly fine with the winners really.

Props for that way of thinking. Even though it's not worth anything, you've earned my respect with those words :D

Sedoris
08-06-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm gonna be honest, as the creator of the Seagull sail, I knew that, as far as the Bird sails went, I had no chance against the awesome sparrow design.

I am very proud to have lost against such formidable crests, all of them!
Kudos to the winners!

Lysett
08-06-2014, 07:12 AM
I'm gonna be honest, as the creator of the Seagull sail, I knew that, as far as the Bird sails went, I had no chance against the awesome sparrow design.

I am very proud to have lost against such formidable crests, all of them!
Kudos to the winners!

I had to go back and look at yours haha. That was amazing haha. Are you in Janitor?

Ayhur
08-06-2014, 07:51 AM
I totally disagree with the results of this competition. There are better pictures of the winners and made ​​"by hand", with many ours of work.

If I know that to win the only thing that had to submit images of pirates, sirene and krakens ... I would have made the image around those parameters and I didnīt this imagen that was a reference to the game.

pathetic... i will not participate in any events in this forum... won a people that post an imagen "404" not found... i wasted my time for do a handmade imagen and won a people that open an file of word.exe and put THIS. i have seen reallly good imagens that people upload... and there arenīt any imagen of that kind...

https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10383543_10204008993042220_1610790698311797471_n.j pg

Mangix
08-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I totally disagree with the results of this competition. There are better pictures of the winners and made ​​"by hand", with many ours of work.

If I know that to win the only thing that had to submit images of pirates, sirene and krakens ... I would have made the image around those parameters and I didnīt this imagen that was a reference to the game.

pathetic... i will not participate in any events in this forum... won a people that post an imagen "404" not found... i wasted my time for do a handmade imagen and won a people that open an file of word.exe and put THIS. i have seen reallly good imagens that people upload... and there arenīt any imagen of that kind...

https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10383543_10204008993042220_1610790698311797471_n.j pg

I guess its good to know that butthurt does indeed have its own language.

Guisouro
08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Congratulations to the winners, that's some seriously awesome art there!

I've submitted a crest myself, and thought it was pretty clever (Nuia Coast Guard, to go against all those pirate flags/groups), but there were some amazing entries on almost every page of the original topic so while I'm a little bummed for not winning, it was a though competition (and they had so many prizes to give). And as someone else already said, it's really hard to talk about taste, or even what you think is funny or creative/original. Everyone's got a point of view, learning to respect other's is good.

And being completely honest, according to the rules I'm not from one of the countries that were accepted on this competition (by the way, why is that limitation?) - because of that I don't even think I've reached the top 42 - but my reasoning was that if they let me buy a founder's pack (and play the game), I should be able to participate in the contests. Either way, I'm a artist and I love this game, so I really wanted to create a crest and share it with you all.

I do hope next time more people are able to participate and we see even more awesome art entries!

Hyphy
08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
CONGRATS WINNERS!!
You all had amazing work no wonder they couldn't pick five alone really good work guys...

On the other hand i don't want to sound like I'm saying i should have won however my submission had to be reviewed by a moderator and i never got any kind of response and now that it's over i don't know if i was forgotten about our what mine was legit i can understand not winning and I'm ok with it but it just kind of sucks that i have no idea if mine was judged our not
Again congrats to the amazing art and creativity that won you ALL deserve it

Zevlik
08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't agree with all the winners feel like there are better ones (not mine) but everyone's taste varies and it comes down to what the judges like and don't. This does make me feel like my design just sucks donkey nuts though, but we're always more critical of our own work than others...just the way of designers. Also I found the 404 sail to be very creative even if simple, it was also hilarious, original, and entertaining, this is reason enough to win to me. I find that trolls often times have very good creativity to be able to do it well.

Congrats to the winners!

Ayhur
08-06-2014, 10:16 AM
I guess its good to know that butthurt does indeed have its own language.

in some moments is better say the cruel TRUTH

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
in some moments is better say the cruel TRUTH

You didnt deserve to win at all. Look all the entries through and you will find many which exceeds yours in every aspect.

Ekif
08-06-2014, 10:36 AM
A big congratulations to all the winners!

caosaur
08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
heheheh

thanks.

sweetnaivety
08-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I especially like the bird and mermaid

Congrats to the winners though.

omigosh, thank you!

I love the winning entries don't get me wrong they are very nice (i particularly love the Mermaid)

Congrats to 6 winners you do have some very awesome entries.

Yay, I'm glad you liked it so much! Thanks so much! n.n

if it was DeviantArt none except the bird and the mermaid would have stood a chance.

=o My mermaid?!?!

------------------

And thank you to everyone who is congratulating the winners n.n

SheppyNaught
08-06-2014, 10:59 AM
What a piss take, the 404 sail not found managed to win, i bet that tock 30 minutes to do/ or copies from somewhere compared to everyone elses efforts which is 10x better than that crappy sail

Merzhinhudour
08-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I love the first one, the second is awesome and the mermaid very stylish, congratulations to you guys ! I don't understand how the others managed to be chosen, the 404 not found is funny but it must have took one minute of thinking and fifteen of work.
As stated in Official Rules : "Contest entries will be judged for their creativity, originality, and adherence to the medium".How is this one creative, original or fit to medium ? It doesn't conform to any of it.

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 11:16 AM
heheheh

thanks.

Lol 404 guy. Gratz anyway you lucky bastard, hope you are happy :)

Thanaos
08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I think that the "404" sail was a great idea, why is everyone complaining?

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 12:01 PM

If you had spent 4 hour++ on a logo, wouldnt you feel a bit let down if a guy which made almost no effort won on a non serious entry? I mean it didn't fulfill any of the requirements or anything, it was just a little fun..

TaintedBushido
08-06-2014, 12:06 PM

For those people, they take it personally. They're usually the ones who work hours upon hours on their logo, believing that it would be a strong entry to place in the top 5 but alas they did not win nor get an honorable mention. In short, they feel cheated.

I can somewhat sympathize, but in the end, this contest made me realize my art wasn't strong enough.

I know asking for a critique on the runner-ups logo is too much. Since I know these industry artists work insane amounts of hours, but it's just a suggestion.

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 12:13 PM
For those people, they take it personally. They're usually the ones who work hours upon hours on their logo, believing that it would be a strong entry to place in the top 5 but alas they did not win nor get an honorable mention. In short, they feel cheated.

I can somewhat sympathize, but in the end, this contest made me realize my art wasn't strong enough.

I know asking for a critique on the runner-ups logo is too much. Since I know these industry artists work insane amounts of hours, but it's just a suggestion.

You're right

Zevlik
08-06-2014, 12:21 PM
If you had spent 4 hour++ on a logo, wouldnt you feel a bit let down if a guy which made almost no effort won on a non serious entry? I mean it didn't fulfill any of the requirements or anything, it was just a little fun..

Actually no. He was able to create something fun and unique right off the bat, I've had times where i can come with something pow bam done and I've had times where it takes me weeks. Just because he was able to complete his in a short amount of time and you were not doesn't make his any less creative, good, or not worthy of winning.

Kokka
08-06-2014, 12:44 PM
oh so great! thanks for winning! :D

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 01:30 PM
oh so great! thanks for winning! :D

Thanks for winning? Lol, it was you who won.

refoT
08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Man, a lot of complaining on the forums, especially for the 404 one. I suppose I get it, but I give props to the guy. I thought the idea was pretty clever, unique and original for a boat sail AND the fact that he didn't have to slave over it ...kinda makes it genius. The only thing I'm a little surprised at are two krakens winning but they both look cool! Guess I'll see most of you in CB3 or open Beta =D.

Crashking
08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm not going to complain about who won or should have. The only thing I see that was unfair is the fact that the contest rules stated a particular method of judging and each entry was to be given a score. It seem it turned out to be more of a lets have a bunch of people vote on which images they like, which would have totally been fine if that would have been stated in the contest rules to start. It's like going hey here are the rules to the baseball game, but um at the 5th inning we are going to add this or delete that. Heck they could have taken the images they selected and let the community vote as it seem creativity, originality, and adherence to the medium are out the window. Its funny here too that if you think about those 3 criteria they are slightly contradictive - adherence to the medium (guessing being related to the game) limits creativity and originality to a degree.

BTW: Yes, it would be real nice to see the 42 images they selected to have on the wall for final voting of winners.

Quasar
08-06-2014, 03:02 PM
The troll entry should be dropped.

Also a lot of people actually paid the $150.00 to purchase an archeum pack. It lessens the value of these packs for each one that is given away.

Contest entries should be voted on by the player base or at least the votes should be considered in judging, more so if the prizes are are going to be founder packs.

DanishNinja
08-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm not going to complain about who won or should have. The only thing I see that was unfair is the fact that the contest rules stated a particular method of judging and each entry was to be given a score. It seem it turned out to be more of a lets have a bunch of people vote on which images they like, which would have totally been fine if that would have been stated in the contest rules to start. It's like going hey here are the rules to the baseball game, but um at the 5th inning we are going to add this or delete that. Heck they could have taken the images they selected and let the community vote as it seem creativity, originality, and adherence to the medium are out the window. Its funny here too that if you think about those 3 criteria they are slightly contradictive - adherence to the medium (guessing being related to the game) limits creativity and originality to a degree.

BTW: Yes, it would be real nice to see the 42 images they selected to have on the wall for final voting of winners.

I totally agree with you!

Mira Rift
08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Congrats to the winners and I'm sure each will look terrific on sails.

As to the 42 finalists, would be nice to see them. BTW what are you going to do with those images? or any of the images submitted that don't violate copyright laws?

Also would be nice to have participation rewards like a Brainstorm Crest. :cool:

Brikhauser
08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Congrats to all the winners! there's some great talent there.

I still can't believe the amount of whiners in these forums though. I thought the "404" was extremely creative. He/she took a gamble thinking out of the box and it paid off. Life's about working smart- not hard.

divStar
08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
D: I bought the Archeum Pack before I entered the contest. If I had won, I'd have given the one I won to a friend. It is sad, that I did not get a vote or you know .. information on my entry etc. But I think it's the judges, who give out the prizes. So it's alright if they decide what they like best.

As I mentioned earlier, this contest lessened me, that one does not have to be an insane Photoshop- or Illustrator-Pro in order to win. And regarding the Founder's Packs prices: they are way too steep and even I know, that what I get is barely worth the half. But it's up to me (and everyone) to buy or pass - I went for the former so it was my choice. Hence uhm.. can't blame Trion. They want to make as much money as they can - they are a company after all - not some Red Cross institution.

kalash
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Congrats to all the winners! there's some great talent there.

I still can't believe the amount of whiners in these forums though. I thought the "404" was extremely creative. He/she took a gamble thinking out of the box and it paid off. Life's about working smart- not hard.

Congratulations once again to all the winners, but, 404 error sail is not "Smart" Almost anyone with an internet connection has ran into the 404 error, it's not even clever. It might be slightly funny but then it's less hilarious that it actually won. If the 404 error wasn't something that millions of people encounter on a daily basis, then sure it would be "Smart" or "genius" but it is not. I didn't even enter but this design took less than 3 minutes in total for someone who knows how to pick a white back ground, text options and saving it to png --> moving to the ucc. folder of archeage. Everyone had beautiful work but I think maybe if they would of emailed back on people who didn't make it in top 7, 42 list, and possibly took more time to actually list the other 42 and more of an in-depth of why the top winners won.

Interesting contest nontheless ^^

Lanthrudar
08-06-2014, 09:56 PM

The 404 was an EXTRA winner. That means that even if they took it out of the contest your logo would STILL NOT HAVE WON.

Geeze, get over it people.

Its pathetic that there can't even be a thread to congratulate the winners without someone jumping in and saying how someone else shouldn't have won instead of them. Good grief, it's called being a GRACIOUS LOSER. Learn how to do it because you will likely not always win in life.

TaintedBushido
08-06-2014, 11:59 PM
The 404 was an EXTRA winner. That means that even if they took it out of the contest your logo would STILL NOT HAVE WON.

Its pathetic that there can't even be a thread to congratulate the winners without someone jumping in and saying how someone else shouldn't have won instead of them. Good grief, it's called being a GRACIOUS LOSER. Learn how to do it because you will likely not always win in life.

You need to calm down as well. We'll forget about this contest later. But, understand that some people need to vent out their frustration and thus releasing the tension.

divStar
08-07-2014, 03:42 AM

Apparently most people don't mind the other entries (though tbh I don't think that Krakens and Skulls are that innovative, clever or smart in any way). However: the 404 entry got the SAME prize as every other serious and rather quality work has gotten. It does not really matter whether it was an extra win or not. I do think it was funny to some extent, but to each their own opinions.

You, Lanthrudar, should let others have opinions just as much as you want to have yours and for it to be cared about. People on the internet don't gain anything by being "gracious losers" - you can see that in PvP and in games a lot, too. You should refrain from giving advices on things you don't understand all that much yourself. Besides: I wonder why you feel like you have to defend that entry anyway. If your opinion is prevailing amongst all the players you shouldn't really worry about it, should you?

And to the others: I kinda really understand how you all feel. It took me half a day to draw the owl for my entry yet some clever, but cheap-looking logo won and mine did not. In order to explain that, you must know, that this was neither a Photoshop- nor an Illustrator-contest. It was a creativity, originality and - above all - a "fun" contest. You can't really expect your work to be judged by the amount or quality of the visuals. It's the whole package, that counts.

This is why I am not upset, that I lost. I know that I had some quality entry to enter with and many others did. What's a bit sad, is, that the community manager did not really care much about e.g. adding those who were selected for the 42 best - they / we totally deserve(d) it! I'd rather say, that it was luck, that some of the contestants had and which I lacked. But: there will be a next time and we all will have another opportunity at it (though I am definitely not participating in dumb contests where you have to like something or answer some stupid question or make some random photo - if the contest requires next to no skill - I am out).

So yeah .. we should chill a little and get this over with. We can't change anything and even if I (I can only speak for myself) could, I would not.

Little Scampi
08-07-2014, 09:25 AM
The bird one is by far the best one, still great job by everyone ;)

Eskopommi
08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm happy with the winners :D. Even tho I didn't spend 4h myself I still thought it was clever to do the 404 and if it made judges to laugh then it was awesomely made :D.

Ofc it should be something people wanna use on their sales because this was pic for sales content and if its not good enough actually to use in game then it shouldn't be winner. Just thought this while writing this.

aces1strike
08-13-2014, 05:09 PM
First, congratulations to the winners especially to the bird, blood skull, and mermaid.
I find the 404 funny but indeed a troll, and if that it had been an honorable mention rather than a win people would be more at peace with it, similarly to the krakens, only allowing 1 and picking another more original design.

That being said I would love if they would have just made an honorable mention list whose sails still make it into the game but no other reward, those top “42” I keep reading about. That way people’s hard work still is valid. And honestly I would love more variation of sails that are well made and that had a lot of time put into them.

Another thought, those who made sails or want to make more, make it an in-game or out-game sale,---- make custom sails for people willing to buy them.

sweetnaivety
08-19-2014, 08:45 AM
First of all, Thank you aces1strike, and everyone else congratulating the winners!

but I am extremely upset, after winning my Archeum pack and playing Alpha for only 5 minutes, the next time I logged in I had been temporarily banned because my account had been compromised! Someone tried to hack me and now I have been banned for over a week, and I missed the ENTIRE closed beta 3! Why am I being punished for someone else trying to hack me? I sent in a ticket and everything days before closed beta 3 started, they had even emailed me back saying my account was verified but I am still banned. At this rate I'm going to miss closed beta 4 as well! I'm losing hope I'll even be unbanned before Headstart!

Gomi
08-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Wow, this was surprising. I had fun doodling up the Leomorph's head. I look forward to sailing the seas with everyone come launch! :)

DanishNinja
08-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Wow, this was surprising. I had fun doodling up the Leomorph's head. I look forward to sailing the seas with everyone come launch! :)

Did you get the prize? If they comply to their own rules , you shouldn't have gotten a prize and an alternate winner should be picked.
" If a Winner cannot be contacted, is contacted and does not respond as directed within seven (7) days of attempted notification, refuses the prize or is ineligible to accept the prize, prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner"

Zatti
09-07-2014, 02:12 AM
what? there's a contest of sails?

Katsu
09-12-2014, 08:58 AM
:o awesome :o