PDA

View Full Version : [BUG] Using DirectX 11 while playing ArcheAge creates a memory leak

Celestrata Bloodsong
11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Description: Some players have reported rising memory use while playing ArcheAge on DX11 than on DX9, leading to a higher frequency of crashes and issues that may occur while playing the game.

Status: The Trion staff has set up an internal computer to perform tests on DX11 to further refine what may be causing these issues. Once more information can be gathered, we will begin a discussion with XL.

BalerionX
11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Thank you for noticing this after 1 year, i will check if it has been fixed in 2 years.

Thundra
11-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Lol, BalerionX what you just wrote made my day xD

Lonkley
11-03-2015, 05:20 PM
The longer it runs, the worse it gets. Seems particularly bad if you run haulers from Solis to Rook. Seems by Windscour all textures pretty much gone. Nvidia 660ti

Schnee
11-03-2015, 07:05 PM
To reproduce it you need to let it run for a long time (hours?) and join activities where things are massive like Mistmerrow, CR, GR, Luscas, Krakens, anything with more than 100 players and countless objects.

Streamroller
11-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Finally they heard me,Celestrata when swich to dx 11 from dx9 All UI reset some graphic/texture/render issue happen(if i give an example,weird texture's on Veroe Shield and so on).
This game MEANT for Dx11 PLZ so many opportunity we r missing :)

Game looks uber awesome on 4k display 144hz monitor + DX11 features enabled ^^

Also Dear Trion you may post a temporary solution to fix memory fix like many of us do,Restart PC / GAME

Loucifer
11-04-2015, 03:47 AM
A few observations of this issue for those testing.

I run 2 monitors at 1920x1080, the monitors are the same make and model.
I run 2 nvidia 680gtx cards in SLI
The vid card is connected to the monitor using DVI cables.

Within the game, I had been running dx11, maxxed settings (as due to the UI not saving is what it defaults to)

Running one client, I would make hauler runs from falcorth to solis, and back.
By the time I had reached mahadevi on the return trip, the textures of the ground had gone to their low res versions, as i continued further, other things will lose textures, highlights around objects/mobs becomes just a glowing square. trees, houses, everything slowly drops to the low res textures, by the time i reach falcorth, the game looks like an oil painting.

Upon further testing/observation, i open two clients, main one on first monitor in borderless window mode, second in a window on the other monitor.
Performing the same hauler run, the client running on the first monitor would lose it textures. the client on the second monitor never lost any textures.

I proceeded to log the accounts in opposite order, alt on main screen in borderless window, and main on second monitor in a window, figuring the alt would lose the textures. This turned out to be wrong, the main on the second monitor lost textures just as it had on the first monitor. The alt account still never lost any textures.

This leads me to believe that the texture loss is somehow tied to the actual character/account, and not just due to video card.

After hours of attempting to alleviate this issue, I finally gave up and went to DX9. I havent seen any texture loss since.

Streamroller
11-04-2015, 05:26 AM

Within the game, I had been running dx11, maxxed settings (as due to the UI not saving is what it defaults to)

By the time I had reached mahadevi on the return trip, the textures of the ground had gone to their low res versions, as i continued further, other things will lose textures, highlights around objects/mobs becomes just a glowing square. trees, houses, everything slowly drops to the low res textures, by the time i reach falcorth, the game looks like an oil painting.

Upon further testing/observation, i open two clients, main one on first monitor in borderless window mode, second in a window on the other monitor.
Performing the same hauler run, the client running on the first monitor would lose it textures. the client on the second monitor never lost any textures.

I proceeded to log the accounts in opposite order, alt on main screen in borderless window, and main on second monitor in a window, figuring the alt would lose the textures. This turned out to be wrong, the main on the second monitor lost textures just as it had on the first monitor. The alt account still never lost any textures.

This leads me to believe that the texture loss is somehow tied to the actual character/account, and not just due to video card.

After hours of attempting to alleviate this issue, I finally gave up and went to DX9. I havent seen any texture loss since.

What i fear worst is this problems occured when game engine was ported from Cryengine 2 to Cryengine 3 during development if so Trion you really need to work hard with XL/Cry Tek (cevat yerli company):eek::eek::eek:

Thenijiway
11-04-2015, 05:48 AM

Pretty sure it has something to do with the order the clients were loaded

ncbwilson
11-04-2015, 08:04 AM
The definitive method to determine if a memory leak is occurring is well documented, however to make it easy use the Windows Performance Toolkit which is just a front-end to ETW tracing and xperf. If you're really interested you can find more @ https://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-59T

DiBBz
11-05-2015, 05:09 PM
its taken them a year to realize this but not the other plentiful annoying bugs like UI and hotbars resetting for alot of people

DX9 texture glitching etc etc

its like a pack of penguins that run this game (XL). and monkeys (Trion) are trying to explain issues to the penguins.

will these issues ever get resolved... nope because koren game developers dont give 2 craps about these type of issues... but noo if a major UI problem happens. you can bet your sweet behind thats getting patched instantly or the following week.

ncbwilson
11-05-2015, 07:40 PM
My guess is that is not the type of reply that will help the issue at all. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute it is probably best to not reply to this subsection of the forums.

FarmerPotato
11-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Dx11 crashes a lot, I don't know exactly why, but it happens. Dx9 is more stable.

Noyom
11-16-2015, 03:23 PM
My UI/sound settings used to reset all the time. I deleted the Archeage folder from \Documents directory and bam, no more resetting. Keep calm and run DX9 or restart when your DX11 becomes too annoying to ignore. This is not an issue that will be fixed quickly, so I recommend sucking it up and just running DX9 until it does.

Ubain
03-23-2016, 10:49 AM
I retested yesterday DX11, always same problem, after 2 hours of game, many textures in game disappear and become flat textures, and some minutes after the game crashed, screen blocked or returned on windows.

can see this on the crash log
<04:11:44> [326304C3] D3D Device Lost
<04:11:44> [3108AE8D] Check Device Lost Failed : (88760868)

I have nvidia 980ti card latest driver, the problem still remains the same since 1 year...

Balabhadradas
03-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Mine gives a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION if I alt tab too many times after running the game for a prolonged period. I tab into the game and my mouse does not work. I then try to shut down Archeage and get the above BSOD. This has been explained as related to the memory. This only happens with Archeage so it makes sense to find out there is a memory leak.

Wytchblades
03-24-2016, 07:09 AM
Game looks amazing on DX11. Too bad you can play all day using it.

Orio
03-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Game looks amazing on DX11. Too bad you can play all day using it.

You can if you have 8gb ram + Swapfile enabled, or 16gb ram instead.

Due some reason the game gets more memory-consuming in DX11 mode. About 4x more.

Symptoms you guys describe are related to:
- Windows which is closing applications in low-mem scenario
- Unstable memory settings
- Unstable CPU settings
(can be due overclocking, but if its stock then it does not mean its stable as each system is individual)

Its simple. More memory utilized = higher load = higher chance to trigger latent instability. If you would use a stress testing program which will be configured to perform RAM test, your system may get same issues.

The reason why is this happenning "just to Archeage in DX11" is simple. How many apps you have in you pc, able to consume more than 6-8 gb of system memory?

The issue with low-res textures on other hand is real. I have just indications why it happens, but no workaround yet.

Hope this helps.

Balabhadradas
03-24-2016, 04:07 PM
You can if you have 8gb ram + Swapfile enabled, or 16gb ram instead.

Due some reason the game gets more memory-consuming in DX11 mode. About 4x more.

Symptoms you guys describe are related to:
- Windows which is closing applications in low-mem scenario
- Unstable memory settings
- Unstable CPU settings
(can be due overclocking, but if its stock then it does not mean its stable as each system is individual)

Its simple. More memory utilized = higher load = higher chance to trigger latent instability. If you would use a stress testing program which will be configured to perform RAM test, your system may get same issues.

The reason why is this happenning "just to Archeage in DX11" is simple. How many apps you have in you pc, able to consume more than 6-8 gb of system memory?

The issue with low-res textures on other hand is real. I have just indications why it happens, but no workaround yet.

Hope this helps.

This only happens to me with Archeage DX 11.

I run stress tests on Intel XTU and have nothing overclocked. No other apps running. Only Archeage does this to my PC.

But thanks for your concern and information.

Orio
03-25-2016, 05:27 AM
This only happens to me with Archeage DX 11.

I run stress tests on Intel XTU and have nothing overclocked. No other apps running. Only Archeage does this to my PC.

But thanks for your concern and information.

Try LinX or OCCT. OCCT with default settings was the best to test stability on my system when it comes to memory.

Balabhadradas
03-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Try LinX or OCCT. OCCT with default settings was the best to test stability on my system when it comes to memory.

Thanks. My memory is fine. Archeage is DX 11 is not. Refer to Celestratas OP for more info.

Ubain
03-25-2016, 10:57 AM
Again tested today 4 crashes games, I no overclock nothing on my computer, DX11 with Nvidia cards the game still crashes after some hour of gaming.