PDA

View Full Version : NOTHING changed about the damage of lvl 55 occultism skill

Hassliebe
01-28-2016, 09:48 AM
The damage of Death's Vengeance is not changed. It is still the same amount of damage like before 2.5.
The only thing changed about this skill is the description. My character should deal about 11k damage to enemies but it only deals like 4-5k which is the same amount of this skill before 2.5.
Here is one screenshot:

http://imgur.com/QYXqIWa

Kegster
01-28-2016, 09:56 AM
That amount is before defense, toughness, and damage reduction skills are applied. If someone has around 50% mdef, then 4-5k sounds about right

Hassliebe
01-28-2016, 10:03 AM
It deals 4-5k dmg where 2-3k is going to be absored and only 1-2k is actual making damage. Check out the screenshot and you will know what I mean.

MagisterXero
01-28-2016, 10:33 AM
That amount is before defense, toughness, and damage reduction skills are applied. If someone has around 50% mdef, then 4-5k sounds about right

Except that, if you actually checked the screenshot, you'd see that the full damage dealt wasn't even close to 11k. The maximum hit looks like it was for 6,439 damage, with a vast majority of it being absorbed.

Either some of the damage reduction wasn't recorded in the combat log, or the skill didn't actually hit for 11k 4 times in a row. 11k is likely just the "average" value, to begin with, but we should still see some 8k, 9k, 10k etc hits mixed in there.

This looks like a possible bug or wrong description of the text.

Nodoze
01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Personally I hope is just a tooltip bug and the damage is as intended as it is bad enough as it is to have all the occultism effects in the battle field (including the pain when they blow up).

Quillodon
01-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Can confirm, this is a tooltip bug.

DV's base dmg was increased (to 2016 before magic attack), and its coefficient was reduced (400%->300%). XL has stated that the tooltip's dmg variable is bugged and showing an incorrect number.

Sadly, damage variables are not something I can edit in my files. But XL definitely knows about this one so I assume they're workin' on it.

Hope that helps,
-Quill

Kav
01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
First

It applies in more ways than one.

Malikite
01-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Can confirm, this is a tooltip bug.

DV's base dmg was increased (to 2016 before magic attack), and its coefficient was reduced (400%->300%). XL has stated that the tooltip's dmg variable is bugged and showing an incorrect number.

Sadly, damage variables are not something I can edit in my files. But XL definitely knows about this one so I assume they're workin' on it.

Hope that helps,
-Quill
Display bug or not, you personally advertised this as a buff when it is in fact a nerf. Why didn't you or your team personally test the damage formulas for every skill that received a change on your internal test server before both advertising this as a buff and pushing the patch to test and then live? Display bugs like this should be the easiest to catch and verify if you do the most basic QA.

Quillodon
01-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Display bug or not, you personally advertised this as a buff when it is in fact a nerf.

Oh man, me personally? I'd be pretty embarrassed if that were true. If you have a video or a comment where I said that, please shout it out so I can correct it there publicly. Thanks!

Aaaanyway, regarding whether this is a nerf or not:

XL increased the base dmg by 40%, and reduced the multiplier from 400% to 300%. It's the same type of move they made across the board on a number of skills in the 2.5 update. If I did my math right, DV should have gained damage if you had 575 Magic Attack (or lower), and lost damage if you had 577 Magic Attack (or higher).

So for lower-geared folks and/or hybrid classes, this was actually a buff. But for people who were stacking lots of magic dmg and letting off big ol' deadly deathfarts, this brings it down a notch.

Hope that clears it up a little!
-Quill

EDIT: Figured you were talking about the patch notes, so I went to have a look. I don't actually write those, but yeah that note on the DV changes is clearly not right. I'll bug the appropriate peeps to fix it, thankye.

Aldasa
01-29-2016, 04:46 AM
+1 for "big ol' deadly deathfarts"

Nearly fell of my chair :D

Subububa
01-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Oh man, me personally? I'd be pretty embarrassed if that were true. If you have a video or a comment where I said that, please shout it out so I can correct it there publicly. Thanks!

Aaaanyway, regarding whether this is a nerf or not:

XL increased the base dmg by 40%, and reduced the multiplier from 400% to 300%. It's the same type of move they made across the board on a number of skills in the 2.5 update. If I did my math right, DV should have gained damage if you had 575 Magic Attack (or lower), and lost damage if you had 577 Magic Attack (or higher).

So for lower-geared folks and/or hybrid classes, this was actually a buff. But for people who were stacking lots of magic dmg and letting off big ol' deadly deathfarts, this brings it down a notch.

Hope that clears it up a little!
-Quill

EDIT: Figured you were talking about the patch notes, so I went to have a look. I don't actually write those, but yeah that note on the DV changes is clearly not right. I'll bug the appropriate peeps to fix it, thankye.

Now we have to film the livestreams, so GMs wont call us liars. Well, what we can expect from people who dont even understand the games they publish, so many ninja nerfs in this patch and all we get are ctrl+v answers.

Yasu
01-29-2016, 05:25 AM
You know you can Watch the Stream again? It's already reccorded.

Quillodon
01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Now we have to film the livestreams, so GMs wont call us liars. Well, what we can expect from people who dont even understand the games they publish, so many ninja nerfs in this patch and all we get are ctrl+v answers.

Nah, you pretty much just have to not lie for me to not call you a liar. But in this case, I suspect it was more of a misused hyperbole than an intentional lie. (By "you personally," I'm fairly confident they just meant, you know... Trion in general.)

And yeah. Livestreams are all recorded on the "past broadcasts" of our twitch page if you really wanna go over 'em with a fine-toothed comb. If you're looking for shameful mess-ups, there's a lovely little bit on the January 8th stream where i list all the Dissonance changes while I'm talking about Startling Strain. I'm sure you could whip up some outrage about that if you wanted.

Good luck!
-Quill

Rahzoul
01-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Same ol Trion different day. The penalties in this game far outweigh the progression. Leave it Trion to make your skills hit weaker the better gear you have...let alone hoping Rnjesus gives you better gears. Ah the irony. GG Trion. In another year you will be extinct like the rest. I give you kudos tho. Taking advantage of an MMO market that doesn't have better to offer. Thats just good business. But it wont last so milk it baby.

Quillodon
01-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Same ol Trion different day. The penalties in this game far outweigh the progression. Leave it Trion to make your skills hit weaker the better gear you have...let alone hoping Rnjesus gives you better gears. Ah the irony. GG Trion. In another year you will be extinct like the rest. I give you kudos tho. Taking advantage of an MMO market that doesn't have better to offer. Thats just good business. But it wont last so milk it baby.

Thanks Rahz! It's been a wild ride.

But to clarify: nothing about this change makes you "hit weaker" as you scale up in gear. What it actually did was scale down how much impact Magic Attack has on this skill at every gear level. A more accurate complaint might be, "Leave it to Trion to make me want sweet gear and then nerf its impact during a rebalancing pass months later."

See? There you go. Now you can be upset. But I suppose the question now is HOW upset should you really be? Let's find out, shall we?

If you have 577+ magic attack and are curious how much damage you lost because of the new mechanic, just follow these steps to find out:

1440 + (your unbuffed magic attack x 4) = Old Damage
2016 + (your unbuffed magic attack x 3) = New Damage
Old Damage - New Damage = Difference
Difference / Old Damage = % of your former dmg you lost because of the new way DV works.

Some examples:
If you have 600 attack unbuffed, you lost 0.6% damage.
If you have 800 attack unbuffed, you lost 4.8% damage.
If you have 1000 attack unbuffed (good lord), you lost a whole 7.8% damage on Death's Vengeance!

Goodness gracious.

Hope that helps!
-Quill

Kav
01-29-2016, 04:41 PM
There is nothing wrong with lessening the gap between the new and veteran players alike, all it will do is encourage more players to get into the heart of the game (PvP) with slightly less backlash.

Also Quill's got class in responding, please make this a trait in other staff members :D
Well timed humour goes a LONG way from the same apologetic format we've all been accustomed to.

Rahvin
01-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks Rahz! It's been a wild ride.

But to clarify: nothing about this change makes you "hit weaker" as you scale up in gear. What it actually did was scale down how much impact Magic Attack has on this skill at every gear level. A more accurate complaint might be, "Leave it to Trion to make me want sweet gear and then nerf its impact during a rebalancing pass months later."

See? There you go. Now you can be upset. But I suppose the question now is HOW upset should you really be? Let's find out, shall we?

If you have 577+ magic attack and are curious how much damage you lost because of the new mechanic, just follow these steps to find out:

1440 + (your unbuffed magic attack x 4) = Old Damage
2016 + (your unbuffed magic attack x 3) = New Damage
Old Damage - New Damage = Difference
Difference / Old Damage = % of your former dmg you lost because of the new way DV works.

Some examples:
If you have 600 attack unbuffed, you lost 0.6% damage.
If you have 800 attack unbuffed, you lost 4.8% damage.
If you have 1000 attack unbuffed (good lord), you lost a whole 7.8% damage on Death's Vengeance!

Goodness gracious.

Hope that helps!
-Quill

How dare you brings facts into a shouting match!

The gall, the irony (I insist upon the right to misuse this word as seemingly everyone else on the planet seems to), the horror!

Having said all that, there is plenty to rant and rave at Trino about (and with LOTS of justification).

Going after Quill for this specific issue not so much.

OlLucy
01-29-2016, 05:56 PM
*sneers in Quill's general direction like a spoiled child*

Nodoze
01-29-2016, 06:00 PM
"i wave my private parts in your general di-rec-tion" <- said with a French accent.

The gall, the irony...

Seriously though thanks for the accurate (and funny) answers.

Rahzoul
01-29-2016, 09:09 PM
"i wave my private parts in your general di-rec-tion" <- said with a French accent.

The gall, the irony...

Seriously though thanks for the accurate (and funny) answers.

The Irony is...defending Trion and its devs. We all know this game is all about the money. Nothing more. If Trion actually cared about its players they would have had this change to "As intended balance scale" from day one. And many others bugs, fixes and hacks (that were allowed for so long).

Kav
01-29-2016, 10:13 PM
The Irony is...defending Trion and its devs. We all know this game is all about the money. Nothing more. If Trion actually cared about its players they would have had this change to "As intended balance scale" from day one. And many others bugs, fixes and hacks (that were allowed for so long).

Dude stop, you're implying this game runs off the Marketplace.