Content:

1- Your Role
2- Weapons
3- Armor
4- Mechanics Tips
5- Counter Tips
6- ChangeLog

Your Role

As a Melee Fighter it is your job primarily to jump in and destroy at least 1 Healer or a Mage, the"Squishies" this can be tough with CC dropping on you and the Archers and tanks trying to stop you, but as you progress you will begin to devise unique ways of infiltrating the enemies lines; whether that be gliding in from above or stealthing up close and using B.E.L.
With the change from Auramancy to Witchcraft you lose a little speed in place of Crowd Control. and that will allow you to do more than just kill the Squishes. you can B.EL or Tiger into the group and Banshee>Dahuta for a strong Disruption to Channeled casts or throw off a melee's combo. so mainly your job is to get in and disrupt the raid, then kill the healers and mages.

Weapon

There is a Large Selection of Weapons to choose from as a Shadowblade, because you do not have to be a Glass cannon you can opt for more survive-ability or delve into some Magic Attack for unique combos other melee cannot achieve. here is a Graph of my Personal Choices for Weapons to use:

- Longspear: if you prefer to deal the most damage over having versatility and Speed. my favorite type of weapon
Recommended Choice: Arcadian Sea Pillager
- Greatsword: a more reliable choice as it gives you the added bonus of Crit Damage boost with a parry.
Recommended Choice: Tearforger
- Dual Swords: if you want speed and parries, the most relieable Dual Wielding pair.
Recommended Choice: Red Dragon Tail Reaper / Hundering Blade
- Katana and Dagger: my favorite combo; Crits and Speed along with magic attack. allows for different combos and versatility
Recommended Choice: Moon Caller / Sleeper's Point
- Shortspear and Katana: the common choice for many, well balanced with puncture and Crit. if you go Oby Shortspear you can get a healing spec for your guild.
Recommended Choice: Falcon's Shortspear / Cold Anguish-Searing Oath

in my Eyes Shadowblade in not all about speed but it is about controlling the fight with CC and sustained damage. you can Burst with the batt/shadow combo but keeping a sustained DPS with your CC's and help you win 1V1's and with proper CC management you can win a 2V1 as well.

Armor

The Choice of Gear for this type of Melee is different from most; you are not a Glass Cannon like a Darkrunner nor are you a Tanky Brute like a Abolisher. you could go wither way and still be bood but the most optimal choice of Gear is to get it Optimized for Survive-ability. here are my recommended gear choices:

Crafted Desert 7/7: Str and Sta for Survival Stats. the Set bonus also assists quite a bit with regaining lost speed.
Crafted Lightning 7/7: Str and Agi if you prefer to have Crit over HP. Same Set bonus with Move Speed added.
Shadow Gear 3/5+Flame 4/7: will give best in slot Stats from Oby and a good crit boost from the 4/7 flame set bonus. my choice.
Crafted Desert Plate 7/7: if you want to be tanky this would be a balanced choice.
Abiliator Oby 3/5+Flame Plate 4/7: similar reasons to the Leather counterpart but with added defense.

the mix between Obsidian and Flame is the Best in Slot Choice however the 7/7 crafted ayanad and allow for more Stated where you need it. it is up ot you what you run as this class but be sure to know what kind of role you are filling and gear towards that.

Tips for Skill rotations:

here is a pretty basic rotation to start on;

Basically anything u can do to get in range for Banshee>Banshee>Stalker>Overwhelm>Shadowsmite>turn ur back to the enemy>backdrop>percision>stealth for re-entry

the whole backdrop thing can be set aside as it is a neat trick that might take a little practice. basically because it is not a blink when ur global Cool-down resets you STILL IN RANGE for a melee attack such as this. most people will do a ranged skill when they do this (lassitude, throw dagger, toxic shot, gap closer skills, ect.) but few do not realize that little tim-bit. a combo i will usually do is the following;

shadowstep>focal>banshee>evervate>overwhelm>shadow strike>percision>backdrop>lassitude>stealth
then the followup when they sleep;
Behind Enemy Lines>triple>charge>triple>Tiger Strike
usually by that time they would be dead but if not... throw a bubble or fear on them and by that time your cool-downs should be reset.

Mechanic Tips

Witthcraft allows for a unique interaction that most melee users dont get (Argent, Darkrunner, Ect.) and that is Buff Removal. your Focal Cuncussion and Purge will allow you to remove buffs from your enemy; as well as Focal having a chance to steal that buff and deal more damage for removing the buff. Purge also can remove a debuff from you and boost your M-Def. if you invest in some M-Def Gems in places you can afford it... you can get a good amount of Magic Defence.

Optional skills you CAN take but i dont recommend as a shadowblade (mainly because you dont have as much speed as a Aura User) is the Sunder Earth and Whrilwind. you could use a CC to help you land it but hat CC would be better used to set up a trip with Behind Enemy Lines. you could also use Terrifying Roar too but it would be better to use the banshee>Evervate. you could actually do banshee>evervate>roar but that could be pushing the limit of the fear; esp. if it is a Aura user who can shrug the stun after

lastly the backdrop. as mentioned above because it is not a blink you can use a skill mid flight IF you are in range for it. typically ppl will do a Backdrop into Throw Dagger as that will Slow then heavily. you can also pull off a Backdrop into Percision if you are close enough to the enemy when you backdrop; thus creating a escape as you hit the enemy. think of... Quinn from League of Legends. she can bounce off a enemy and hit him also. it is basically that.

something to keep note of: a Shadowblade is strongest in a Group Fight. most ppl argue this but to set up a perfect combo like what i explained above it WILL be a lot easier with another player to back you up with crowd control. a good entry skill is to Tiger Strike then Banshee. bc u go to your target first you will end on the other player, so you can start the CC on the othr player. be weary of Songcraft users as they can stop your stun's and Sleeps as well as fear you with critical discord.

if you are fighting 2 ppl alone use Fiends and try to keep one of them under constant CC while you fight the other. try to CC the DPS and go for the Mage/Healer or if it is a DPS and Tank CC the tank. he will have heave CC and Silence/Shackle.

Counter Tips

the Skillsets that can counter you is Witchcraft, Auramancy and Defence. im sure you would know why but in case here is a breif summery;

-Witchcraft-
stops your Sleeps and can remove your buffs

how to counter: use ur own Witchcraft and try to CC him first,m them pelt him with DPS. i recommend playing a slippery style of play; jumping around, backdrop shinanigans, getting a distance before using BEL, Charge, Tiger and also using stealth occasionally to reset targeting in your favor.

-Auramancy-
Stops your Stuns, Slows, Launch, and Lassitude if they pay attention enough. they are also more mobile.

prepare for a fight of who is faster, and Aura will alway be faster. use stealth to get targeting priority and also get your banshee on him first to apply Stalkers and begin the assault. u will be relying on being faster than the fastest class combinations.

-Defence-

Common counter to any Melee but with the added Silence to stop Wit CC's.

try to get the jump on him before he proc's Redoubt. however if he gets redoubt up back off and stealth until redoubt is gone. u will need to land all your backstabs and hope u proc some strong crits. once ur CC is about to run out get away and re-engage with BEL if u can. using your sleeps, fears, and bubble will give u the upper hand that most other melee will not have.

if you have any Questions just ask, i can give you tips for some match ups and what your job is in PvE.

*this is a work in progress.

Side not on Gear, this is what i will be building for my Shadowblade now. for an example of how to build up for your role;
http://aacalc.ru/en/?a=040nq0PlcSZO12
i went Greatsword with Plate because the defence i got makes up for the loss of Speed. and an example of how i got my skills set up for it.

CHANGELOG
1.2- Added "Your Role" Section and Reworked the Weapon and Armor Section to better detail the choices shown.
1.1- Added Titles, more Counter information and better formatting

Neth
03-23-2016, 03:31 AM
You missed Restrain combo outta Shadowsmite, you don't mention Focal buff-steal, and you appearantly don't run Roar, Sunder or Dagger and instead are running heavy Witchcraft CC's and Fiend.

Other than that, it's a post with information in it. Kudos on contributing, Shadowblade is a versatile and decently powerful spec worth mentioning, whichever perspective you are coming from.

Tip o' the hat, Emissary of <Nyx>, who some sleep-deprived people interpret as a spider diplomat, which freaks them out and makes them stop posting right. bloody. now.

N.

';,;o,(o;(o,('Žo;;,...,;;o`'),o');o);,o;;...

TheWiggler
03-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Cringe

Kraaag
03-23-2016, 04:57 AM
What about Scoundrel's Moon + Cold Anguish as weapons and a Silent Shadow gear?

AeroSolz
03-23-2016, 05:31 AM
im not too familiar with the Morpheus, Rangora weapons. other than that dual katanas would work pretty ok. it's versitile so it shadowblade can be played with a lot of fidderent weapons.

you could also use a Flame Club for the blunt damage; which i heard is more effective against Plate.

ill keep updating this with more information, i am just treating this as a beginner's guide to get them started.

*just updated it

Neth
03-24-2016, 02:14 AM
Dual katanas are horrible. 45 second proc window and they share damage type on top of that; if you're going to DW then the most common options seen among the higher end of the playerbase are swords (v2 preferred over v1, significantly so), HDQ axe outta Serp (T3 Dancing Queen, crit damage bonus being pretty high, but drawback being somewhat half-useful proc and again, sharing damage type with katana), and seen a few players using various daggers to various level of success. I prefer the SVL dagger, another T3 Serp item, and if you got a bit of luck the Mistsong T3 is highly, highly useful. You could get obsidian ones, or any bloody dagger really. It's the Penetration damage type and AS proc that makes dagger OH setups worthwhile. My recommendation is get yourself either of the above, and pick up the others as you go; it's always good to have options and since PvE drops are free and a sword is MH/OH both, it's not really possible to get it wrong, anyways.

Divine gives an added gemslot over celestials, but if you DW and lack one slot, it's not the end of the world -- Focus reaches soft-cap before that, and crit gems are a bit too rare to be reliably in supply to call get-or-scrub on.

I don't like the axe myself, but others do swear by it. Meanwhile I always loved the SVL dagger, so apples/oranges there; neither needs divine to be useful and both are easy to get.

If you got a katana MH of decent quality, your OH if a bit of a preference thing. You'll probably end up with all of them eventually, anways, so that's all I'll say really. GL, HF, RNG bless.

N.

N.

AeroSolz
03-24-2016, 06:23 AM
yea some ppl dont like Axes bc it can break your CC if your not careful (bc of the bleed)

AeroSolz
04-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Bump for the Edits i made

Kraaag
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm still hesitating between Greatsword & Nodachi

Would you have an argument to decide between those two?

AeroSolz
04-06-2016, 05:54 AM
I'm still hesitating between Greatsword & Nodachi

Would you have an argument to decide between those two?

Obsidian Greatsword would allow harder crits to take place, the lower Speed is worth it well.
a Lightning Nodachi though would be nice as well... but i would always go Greatsword over Nodachi

ThunderFox
04-06-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm with the following questions: 1- I just 21k Gold and I'm looking to invest in weapon. I'm in doubt between 2H probably go to nodachi Red Dragon. If it were to invest in dual I would of Shortspear or Katana t5 / t6 Divine (many say it is a waste of time buying obsidian divine, but investing almost triple gold into a weapon to get a little more DPS it seems crazy to me). What would be the best choice for off-hand? What would you do in my place? This weighing much to Dual simply facts that I can switch to other classes if there is need, with a 2H I would slave Shadowblade and DR

AeroSolz
04-06-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm with the following questions: 1- I just 21k Gold and I'm looking to invest in weapon. I'm in doubt between 2H probably go to nodachi Red Dragon. If it were to invest in dual I would of Shortspear or Katana t5 / t6 Divine (many say it is a waste of time buying obsidian divine, but investing almost triple gold into a weapon to get a little more DPS it seems crazy to me). What would be the best choice for off-hand? What would you do in my place? This weighing much to Dual simply facts that I can switch to other classes if there is need, with a 2H I would slave Shadowblade and DR

I would go for the Divine Katana, then for your offhand it is pretty much a preference. my Pref is to get a Dagger for Speed but a Shortspear or Sword would do well as well. if RD is in the Picture i would actually get the RD 1H Sword bc of the Use ability and a V2 Oby Sword (Hungering Blade)

AeroSolz
04-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Bump for ChangeLog 1.2

Twilightmagus
04-12-2016, 05:21 PM
I would go for the Divine Katana, then for your offhand it is pretty much a preference. my Pref is to get a Dagger for Speed but a Shortspear or Sword would do well as well. if RD is in the Picture i would actually get the RD 1H Sword bc of the Use ability and a V2 Oby Sword (Hungering Blade)

forget divine, with 21k, he is really close to epic price, and a a grade up on your main weapon is the strongest improvement you can do in this game.

AeroSolz
04-13-2016, 04:47 AM
forget divine, with 21k, he is really close to epic price, and a a grade up on your main weapon is the strongest improvement you can do in this game.

there is a small difference between epic and divine. all u really need is Celestial though.

Twilightmagus
04-13-2016, 10:05 AM
there is a small difference between epic and divine. all u really need is Celestial though.
50 dps is nothing to scoff at, and the gap only gets bigger when you add in all the % based modifiers on gear/passives. Your gear and offhand are nice, but most of your damage comes from your main weapon.

saveaux
04-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Shadowsmite should ONLY be followed with purge, 100% of the time, no exceptions, ALWAYS.

You enervate too early. It only lasts several seconds and with your combo you have them stun locked until it's over. You wasted it. Enervate comes at the VERY end of a combo, not the begining. The moment your combo is up if they aren't dead yet what is the first thing they are gonna do? Heal! You END your combo with enervate to prepare for their inevitable heal.

I need to critique your entire post but don't have the time or the battery life left while I'm on vacation. Feel free to send me a PM for better combos, better gearing, and better strategy.

saveaux
04-15-2016, 06:20 PM
50 dps is massive. As almost all games go, the weapon is 90% of the player.

Shadowblades are king of stun locking aka we shouldnt get hit much, if ever at all. I can equip nothing but my 2hander and kill 70% of the population on Tahyang.

The OP is spreading baaaaaad techniques for the game.

I respect the time you took to write everything out, and I feel like you deserve some long explanations but I'm just too tired for that.

No, celestial is NOT ok for weapons. It was only ok before Obsidian gear came out. A celestial delph weapon back then was great.