PDA

View Full Version : Occultism not viable?

Nefczi
08-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Hey guys!

I started playing yesterday and wanted to make Enigmatist. Problem is that I found out pretty quickly that I dont like Sorcery with all those cast times. And I ended up trying all diferent skill tries for a while with diferent chars, watched some videos and I eventually fallen in love with Occultism.

I like instant casts on almost everything which gives beter mobility, I also like some CC and all this AOE. Playing with Occultism reminded me a bit about my all time favorite mmorpg class, the "DD Elementalist" from Guild Wars. FOr those who dont know its a magic class, very mobile, decent AOE, good CC, pretty tanky, with decent sustained damage. You could make it more tanky or more DPS focused depending on your gear.

So I decided to try and build something similiar. Magic class, with good mobility, good CC and maybe pretty tanky. So I thought to make a class combaining Occultism with either Shadowplay(mobility), Witchcraft(CC), Defense(tankiness). That gives few options:

Occultism/Shadowplay/Witchcraft - Shroudmaster
Occultism/Shadowplay/Defense - Dreadnaught
Occultism/Witchcraft/Defense - Defiler

Well there is also an Auramancy that looks mighty good as well giving few more options. All of them look appealing.

But the problem is that I keep hearing/reading that Occultism got nerfed/changed and is not really viable as a main damage source. That Mana Stars for example do no damage endgame/PVP?

Im hearing that the only 3 viable damage trees are Battlerage/Sorcery/Archery and if you dont go into one of those you are gimping yourself seriously. Is that true? Asking cos it makes no sense, cos if that was true than from over 100 possible classes, only handfull would be "viable" while every combination that doesnt use those 3 mentioned abowe is "gimped".

So am I really gimping myself if I go with Occulism as a main damage source and all the classes with Occultism as main damage source are not that viable?

Also whats up with scepters? I read somewhere that you cant get them from quests, that they are available on level 50 only from crafting or something like that. Whats up with that? If thats true than you bassically cannot level as "magic tank" class since you dont have access to magic weapon while wielding a shield? Or did I misunderstand/missed something? I heard also that there are some swords that give "+magic damage" so can be used as weapon for magic based classes but they wanna remove them on release?

Tilron
08-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I have a reaper - Occultism, Sorcery Shadowplay and I love it. I start with range attacks and if need be melee to finish it off. I am using the first skill in the Occultism line the most and can kite any mob so far easly

Linc
08-15-2014, 02:40 PM
the problem is right now the skill system we have is meant for level 55 players, but we are limited to level 50 skillpoints. Occultism skills don't combo with eachother very well, and its generally considered a support tree. Leveling as a 'magic tank' will be more difficult than something else, but can be done. Just use quest staffs until level 20, make a scepter and go from there. Endgame there is a line of crafted 1 handed katanas that have good DPS and +magic damage, they are available currently in beta and I don't think will be removed for release.
There are 4 stats to doing damage, melee, ranged physical, magic, and healing (i consider this negative damage). Trying to hybrid these damage types is not optimal so people say they aren't viable.

In the end its all personal preference, you will level up slower using only occultism for damage. But hey respeccing is cheap and easy and you don't lose any progress in a tree doing it, so go try it out until you find something you like.
Another class to consider would be skullknight, just remember melee or magical tanks are meant for group play not maximizing DPS

Pang
08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah if you want a Magic Tank, try Skullknight. Occultism, Defense, Auramancy. Lvl up with cloth and staff, and like Linc said get or craft a Scepter when able and get a shield.

Nefczi
08-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Thank you guys for the answers.
Forgive me if the questions I ask are stupid but as a total newbie in AA its not that obvious to me why ppl call Occultism a weak as a damage source. Why is that exacly? I seen Linc mentioning lack of combos inside of Occultism tree? Is that the main/only reason? Or is it also becouse of long cooldown/low damage numbers of skills like Crows, Wraight, Absorb Life, Mana Force or Crippling mire?

Coffey
08-16-2014, 06:09 AM
Thank you guys for the answers.
Forgive me if the questions I ask are stupid but as a total newbie in AA its not that obvious to me why ppl call Occultism a weak as a damage source. Why is that exacly? I seen Linc mentioning lack of combos inside of Occultism tree? Is that the main/only reason? Or is it also becouse of long cooldown/low damage numbers of skills like Crows, Wraight, Absorb Life, Mana Force or Crippling mire?
Only combo inside Occ itself is Impale+Crow, and its not used for damage but for stun and melee decrease accuracy.
Wraith does great damage but you have to be stationary for a longer while, not best thing to do. Same goes to the rest of channeled Spells in Occ. You can combo Crippling Mire with Roar from Def, but alone its really pointless.

To maximize damage with Occ you can use combos such as Impale>Chain Lightning. Occ passives are also great for mage.
People use Occ for its Silence, melee counter and CC, not its damage.

Many melees decide to pick up Occ for aoe stun, silence etc.

Ein
08-16-2014, 12:52 PM
There are a couple of videos that you can look at on YouTube that show plenty of people using occultism. The point of using sorcery with occultism is because there are some skills that actually combo with the occultism impale effect. You do the combo right and after you do your aoe and crows they will be bleeding, poisoned and have taken a huge hit which you can then use a channeling ability or rapid cast to finish them off.

Znick
08-16-2014, 01:02 PM
It also depends on your goals... if you want to PvE then it's fine. I leveled to 50 with Occ/def/aura and had no trouble. It's also fun and good as a pvp tank. If you're traveling with a team you go in first, AOE, draw fire and let your team blow them up from afar.

If you plan to 1v1 a lot in pvp, or solo gank though... forget it. You have NO burst and sustain isn't enough to beat a battle/sorc/archer.

Nefczi
08-17-2014, 02:05 AM
If you plan to 1v1 a lot in pvp, or solo gank though... forget it. You have NO burst and sustain isn't enough to beat a battle/sorc/archer.

I decided to level with Defiler(Occultism/Witchcraft/Defense). So far its I have no problems, but im still very low lvl.
Im not a ganker type, one of the reasons why I decided on tanky char like this is becouse of gankers actually, I hear that after lvl 30 or so you go thrown into open pvp world. Wonder how Defiler will work agains gankers ;P

Anyway im starting to see the "flaws" of Occultism tree. Some of the skills that I thought are an instant cast only, are either channeled or forbid you to move for the duration, thats my bad as I didnt read the discription carefully, thought most of the Occultism damage spells can be use while staying mobiles wice most are "instant". But its not the case.

Damage wise im relying mostly on Enervate + Earthen Grip that hits like a truck and finish off with Occultism spells. Pve is not the problem so far, everythign dies fast and I really like to play this class.

I only wonder right if combined damage of skills from all tree skill trees(Witchcraft/Occultism/defense) will be enough to bring ppl down in pvp, even if it will be slow?
Edit: im also not sure if Defence is the best option for leveling as a 3rd tree next to Occultism+ WItchcraft, maybe Shadowplay or Auramancy would be better?

spyritwind
08-17-2014, 08:36 AM
This is my first beta event and I rolled a Nightcloak (Occ, Witch, Aura), but am now wondering if I should switch classes already >< Any high level Nightcloaks out there that can give some feed back after the Occ nerf?

Znick
08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Occ/witch/? is definitely better than occ/aura for pvp. You'll still have some trouble vs archers because they'll want to kite you, but you "can" beat them... melee will vary depending on the class.

As far as ganks, if you're farming or doing something other than looking for pvp and a couple reds get a jump on you, no matter what class you are you likely aren't going to win. You may escape, but when they attack 1st it's usually over. :P