PDA

View Full Version : Def/witch counter?

Spiri2al
05-08-2016, 03:10 AM
Whats the best counter to a class combo with Def/witch usually? ♥♥♥♥s trolly as ♥♥♥♥

Termocaos
05-08-2016, 06:38 AM
I sometimes play Hexblade (Battlerage-Witchcraft-Defence) and most of the time i win, but as far as i notice, the most times i had trouble was:

-Someone was tanky enough to don't give a damn about the summon.
-People purged/mirror light the debuffs/cc.
-People played clever.

That said, i guess that Vitalism is a decent counter (not when you're enervated), but it also seems that the best counter for witch/def is also witch/def.
Mages that use witch/shadowplay are also a greater pain in the arse.

Quillodon
05-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Occultism is the counter-witchcraft, in my experience. Stillness hard-counters Banshee's Wail and silences the enemy while doing so, Retribution is great for fear immunity AND returning damage on the annoying friggin' pet, and the skilltree is chock-full of AoE moves that allow you to damage both the enemy and their summoned fiend at the same time. Even better, it's all magic dmg so the block chance and added pdef from defense are completely useless.

Termacao's point about vitalism is also spot-on. Mirrorlight has a faster CD than Enervate, meaning it will always be up to remove the Enervate debuff before they can Earthen Grip. This denies them both the crippling manaburn AND the life-gain combo unless they can keep you CCd the whole time. As a diehard poxbane, nothing is more annoying than an enemy that knows how to mirrorlight properly.

(Note: i figured you wanted suggestions a little less cheesy than "go pure healer" or "do a bubbledrop combo." Those are of course an option, if you're a big ol' jerk. Not very FUN, though =P)

Good luck!
-Quill

Zirconi
05-09-2016, 03:36 AM
I've been using Reaper (Occ/Shadow/Sorcery) and I can win frequently. The mana is a huge pain vs enervate though. The 2 Occ mana passives and 2 sorcery passives help a bit, but it's not ideal to take them all cause your damage output or mobility suffers then.

I've yet to try Vitalism/Occ/Sorcery - I imagine the mobility is too bad. I haven't tried Vitalism/Occ/Shadowplay because I guess the damage sucks.

It's really difficult to beat witchcraft+defense without at least taking witchcraft. Playing witchcraft all the time is so boring though.

Dynasty
05-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Whats the best counter to a class combo with Def/witch usually? ♥♥♥♥s trolly as ♥♥♥♥

If you're talking balanced arena's, it's not pretty but skullknight beats most witch/def combos. Opening combo wipes the fiend and then you just have to time cc's to keep them from recasting. Just make sure you keep meditate in your build.... and potentially melee/bow shot in your skill bar.

Lancet
05-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Occultism is the counter-witchcraft
When a defiler runs into a pack of other witchcraft users:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOl3f_5TouM

Tarojun Zakra
05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
I've been using Reaper (Occ/Shadow/Sorcery) and I can win frequently. The mana is a huge pain vs enervate though. The 2 Occ mana passives and 2 sorcery passives help a bit, but it's not ideal to take them all cause your damage output or mobility suffers then.

I've yet to try Vitalism/Occ/Sorcery - I imagine the mobility is too bad. I haven't tried Vitalism/Occ/Shadowplay because I guess the damage sucks.

It's really difficult to beat witchcraft+defense without at least taking witchcraft. Playing witchcraft all the time is so boring though.

Have you tried Sorc/Occ/Battle (Ravager)? I recently switched to that from Reaper primarily for naval combat boarding ships with ease, and on my server, it's very physical damage heavy so bondbreaker was a awesome bonus. Also for sure avoids the firebolt-bubble cheese. Tiger strike as semi-replacement for shadowstep and BEL as an alternative to dropback makes for a decent trade off for slightly lower mobility.

Timing terrifying roar and getting slept with lassitude (30% reduction as cloth, now add another 25% reduction with this buff for 7 seconds, very short sleep!) baits them to waste their meteor as you epicly escape last second with tiger strike into their face with a hellspear follow up.

Freezing arrow or crippling mire or even anthalon flames can lead to funny and unexpected trips on the opponent(s) using whirlwind slash, which could be saved for when their redoubt wears off.

Zirconi
05-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Have you tried Sorc/Occ/Battle (Ravager)? I recently switched to that from Reaper primarily for naval combat boarding ships with ease, and on my server, it's very physical damage heavy so bondbreaker was a awesome bonus. Also for sure avoids the firebolt-bubble cheese. Tiger strike as semi-replacement for shadowstep and BEL as an alternative to dropback makes for a decent trade off for slightly lower mobility.

Timing terrifying roar and getting slept with lassitude (30% reduction as cloth, now add another 25% reduction with this buff for 7 seconds, very short sleep!) baits them to waste their meteor as you epicly escape last second with tiger strike into their face with a hellspear follow up.

Freezing arrow or crippling mire or even anthalon flames can lead to funny and unexpected trips on the opponent(s) using whirlwind slash, which could be saved for when their redoubt wears off.

I'm definitely going to give this a go. I will likely miss the Drop Back + Firebolt synergy though.
Still, sounds fun ^ ^

Astrion
05-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Occultism is the counter-witchcraft, in my experience. Stillness hard-counters Banshee's Wail and silences the enemy while doing so, Retribution is great for fear immunity AND returning damage on the annoying friggin' pet, and the skilltree is chock-full of AoE moves that allow you to damage both the enemy and their summoned fiend at the same time. Even better, it's all magic dmg so the block chance and added pdef from defense are completely useless.

Termacao's point about vitalism is also spot-on. Mirrorlight has a faster CD than Enervate, meaning it will always be up to remove the Enervate debuff before they can Earthen Grip. This denies them both the crippling manaburn AND the life-gain combo unless they can keep you CCd the whole time. As a diehard poxbane, nothing is more annoying than an enemy that knows how to mirrorlight properly.

(Note: i figured you wanted suggestions a little less cheesy than "go pure healer" or "do a bubbledrop combo." Those are of course an option, if you're a big ol' jerk. Not very FUN, though =P)

Good luck!
-Quill

Doomlord is the answer.

TheWiggler
05-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Doomlord is the answer.

No actually, Hordebreaker is the answer when you want to teach them a lesson they won't soon forget :)

Defence + song + sorcery is another kettle of fish entirely tho and Vitalism is the only counter there ^^