PDA

View Full Version : Archery

Bakers
06-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Hello, just a quick question! I haven't played the game for quite a while now and was wondering if archery as bad as everyone says it is now!? Was hoping to start the game again as an Archer based class however seeing all the hate towards the skillset has put me off. IS archery viable in world PvP and solo encounters in pvp? or will I just end up getting facerolled by every class :D? :cool:

Silverwing
06-02-2016, 12:26 AM
I'm not a pro with archery but I can give you my opinion:
I think archery is viable, but very hard to pull off. You will need the right gear or really good gear to kill people in open world pvp.
I general you could say this:
Archer vs any other 1v1 class with equal skill: Archer loses
It comes down to how good you are with the class and how it works against the class youre facing.

So in summary archery is still kinda weak and u need the gear and skill to success. U will never hear from anyone that archery is strong and need to pay attention on who youre facing and adapt to that.

I'm a returning archery player aswell and already know its gonna be a challenge, but its more fun than playing any op fotm class facerolling everything right?! :D

Cohiba
06-02-2016, 05:42 AM
archery is in an interesting state right now:
you can kill people in raids and you can do decent damage, UNLESS the enemy is fullbuffed with def buffs and songs are being played, then ur gonna do poop damage lol
the combo of 1800 pdef pot + 2400 pdef song + brick wall spellbook just makes it really hard to deal damage honestly.
you need defense penetration and really high damage, preferably some sort of crazy bow...
the damage of archery doesn't really scale well vs enemy defense. I am currently sitting at 6.7-6.8k GS and I can 1 shot most lowgear people, while geared players with buffs in a raid take very little damage from me.
it really depends on your style.. if you like open world I can recommend playing trickster (arch shadow witch). it got buffed quite a bit and is pretty decent right now. just don't put too many points into witchcraft.. something like THIS (http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/404806) works well in arena and open world, especially since they added fancy new combos! (sniping a sleeping target trips them! charged bolt on bubbled people stuns (u will concussive bubbled people anyway but its a nice option).

all in all, archer is pretty much still the most fun class to play for many people, since staying mobile and killing people and seeing them feel helpless can be really fun sometimes xD
especially when your enemies just see the arrows flying and their HP dropping and they can't escape... :3

Mongoose X
06-02-2016, 05:49 AM
7k + archer here, take my advice, use the new gear from free pack and go another route. If you want to PVE then Archery wins hands down. If you go PVP...people who are far less geared can kill you. And like mentioned above...if tanks are buffed or even mages with shields, you can't do jack squat.

And the thing is, 95% of all PVP is centered around events, which everyone buffs for.

Bakers
06-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the response! Been a while since I've played. mainly miss the Naval PvP and random encounters I had when running as a Ranger / prime :P
Once again thanks for the reponses! It is all very tempting to come back just don't want to end up face planting a brick wall! :D

but yeah I'm do like a challenge and stuck with archery until 2.0 where it seemed to go down hill for me, but something about this game just draws me back everytime even though its frustrating as hell there's nothing that comes close to it, hey I thought black desert would be awesome but that turned out awful in my experience!

Cohiba
06-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the response! Been a while since I've played. mainly miss the Naval PvP and random encounters I had when running as a Ranger / prime :P
Once again thanks for the reponses! It is all very tempting to come back just don't want to end up face planting a brick wall! :D

but yeah I'm do like a challenge and stuck with archery until 2.0 where it seemed to go down hill for me, but something about this game just draws me back everytime even though its frustrating as hell there's nothing that comes close to it, hey I thought black desert would be awesome but that turned out awful in my experience!

well just go to trion website and claim that package, you get free gear and gems worth a total of over 4k gearscore. if you have some old gear from before this will probably add up to 4500+ easily, so everyone can be kinda competitive now :D it's a very good start at least :)
so good luck and I bet you will have fun either way haha

Bakers
06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
oooh, think my gear score was only 4k at the time ;P that's pretty neat, would it be worth rolling another class until I can get come decent gear for archery ? as I take it its going to be a pain in the backside at lower GS bracket?

Mongoose X
06-02-2016, 03:21 PM
I'd recommend that. Have archery as a side project for the future but focus on a melee build for now. Definitely serious gear to make archery work.

blazethekush420
06-03-2016, 04:17 PM
If you do archery you need an epic bow at minimum. Other classes can sort of get by with divine. If you have a nasty bow though and know how to play it can be enjoyable but it is no doubt the weakest of the 3 main damage types. With a good bow you can snipe people from stealth and hit pretty hard if you are good.

Ej the maverick
06-03-2016, 08:26 PM
until I can get come decent gear for archery ? as I take it its going to be a pain in the backside at lower GS bracket?

The decent gear for archery is nothing less than legendary bow, even epic is kinda weak and a divine outlaw is junk. The fact a bow has far less DPS than equal tier and grade weapons, shows that Archeage really have no desire to make archery competitive. 4k mage with sorcery can do 8k damage with meteor strike without a combo, 5.4k archer gets 5,400 with snipe the most powerful shot in archery. Missile rain is only effective in PVE, in PVP it is likely to miss most and do very little damage to the one or two it does hit.

NefariousBIG
06-06-2016, 05:57 AM
7k + archer here, take my advice, use the new gear from free pack and go another route. If you want to PVE then Archery wins hands down. If you go PVP...people who are far less geared can kill you. And like mentioned above...if tanks are buffed or even mages with shields, you can't do jack squat.

And the thing is, 95% of all PVP is centered around events, which everyone buffs for.

Trion is failing on their "attempt" at balance here miserably. They are in denial of how that will impact peoples willingness to continue spending on their efforts. It is a sad reality that causes both sides to ultimately lose and will leave a lingering taste beyond Archeage with the players who spent the most time and money trying to play this class under their guidance.

It is epic in it's incompetence when your own staff is forced to respect into Battlerage/Sorcery to avoid the frustration themselves.

I wonder what would happen to Toyota sales if every Toyota employee started driving Honda's? Not a good message to send to the consumer..also, when the free gear will make you more effective with an alternative non-archer build than a 2 year/5,000 hour player who has spent over $5,000 on archer builds..that should be a wake up call.

In this same spirit - I posted something about a Direct Trion Agent Posted mis-information about an event ending date/state once, that caused pple to miss out on the Dunn's Blessing.....my post was quickly deleted as was the misinformation by the Trion Agent in these very forums in an attempt to "hide" the truth. Of course, it is to Trions advantage to lower my RNG as much as possible, but they shouldn't have to resort to these means to coerce me to do so.

This is a slippery slope that Trion is now stumbling down when it comes to honest dialogue when integrity should be paramount here (If they had any respect for the time/$$ spent by archers to date - that is).

Soeee
06-07-2016, 12:54 AM
Well, iīm Archer since the Beginning and keep playing Primeval for ever i guess.

I just like the class and how itīs played, Movement, Skill required instead of oneshotting with Hands off the Keyboard - and itīs true, 4.5k DR can do the same Dmg as Archer with 2k higher GS but still imo Archery works pretty good in PvP. I mean iīm around 6.4k GS and go home with a good amount of PvP Honor in most MMs ;) Itīs just key to pick the right Targets - thereīs no point in pewpewing on an Abolisher, Templar, geared Skullknight or something. Besides you can add some good AoE Damage to the most likely played Mageballs.

Trusivraj
06-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Well, iīm Archer since the Beginning and keep playing Primeval for ever i guess.

I just like the class and how itīs played, Movement, Skill required instead of oneshotting with Hands off the Keyboard - and itīs true, 4.5k DR can do the same Dmg as Archer with 2k higher GS but still imo Archery works pretty good in PvP. I mean iīm around 6.4k GS and go home with a good amount of PvP Honor in most MMs ;) Itīs just key to pick the right Targets - thereīs no point in pewpewing on an Abolisher, Templar, geared Skullknight or something. Besides you can add some good AoE Damage to the most likely played Mageballs.

Majority of servers are swarmed with shield+defense buffed specs, that simply won't be phased by the dmg of an archer. I have a legendary T6 (retired) and could even take down a cloth with a shield and full toughness and block rate gems and the defense pot, while having magic pots myself. Block rate is one of the main problems, dmg against defense stats is the other. DRs are the only class I ever even saw that I could actually burst down, and even they can parry EA and wear a shield to become a "wanna-be-blighter" against you. I defended this game and archery effectiveness for nearly 3 years, let stop praising the obvious and painful truth that you're just wasting money and time playing this class at its current state. (2k+ spent here, 5.8k, legendary bow~ can't kill a clothy) much love ♡ *poof*