PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a class

Chipacito
06-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Hi guys! I returned to the game since September 2015 and i need help to pick a class. It must be: Fun to play, with mobility and decent damage. I could have defense tree but i don't know how shields work now with 2h shield def pen. I like world pvp, naval pvp and ocasionally 1v1 pvp. I prefer range classes.

One important thing, don't have good ping because i'm from Argentina! Thanks you!

Siobhan
06-28-2016, 08:09 AM
You might try rolling a character on the PTS. You can insta-level a few trees to 55 and play with the resulting classes. Nobody can tell you what class you're going to like playing, but you can get some ideas of "trending" classes here and at off-site forums. Google is your friend in that case.

Since armor costs are so high, I would play on PTS until I knew wha I wanted to do instead of wasting money on armor that will do no good.

Chipacito
06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
I started Archeage playing as Primeval and wanted to change to Swiftstone due to archers nerfs, but i left the game and couldn't try that mage class. I don't know how archery, sorcery, shadowplay and defense work now, but i only know that occultism is nice.

Sorry for my bad English and Thanks!

BackBoyz
06-28-2016, 10:26 AM
I would try mage. Start out with dagger spell ( witch, shadow, sorc) or cabalist (def, witch, sorc) dagger has more mobility cabalist is more of a tanky caster and any melee. I would stay away from archery unless you plan of getting SUPER geared.

Chipacito
06-28-2016, 05:29 PM
I saw in forum that archers are still useless unless well geared, so i think i would go mage.
I made a list about possible choices but don't know which suits better with the specifications that i mentioned before.

-Enigmatist (Sorc/Shadow/Aura)
-Arcanist (Sorc/Witch/Aura)
-Swiftstone (Sorc/Shadow/Def)
-Thaumaturge (Sorc/Aura/Def)
-Planeshifter (Occ/Shadow/Aura)
-Skullnight (Occ/Def/Aura)
-Nightcloak (Occ/Witch/Aura)

(I like the last 3 but don't know how Occultism is as main source of damage)

Thanks!!

Moleman
06-29-2016, 12:05 PM
"decent damage" that you want, pretty much negates Occultism as a main damage tree. IMO if you want damage, stick to the sorc builds. Enigmatist is extremely mobile and has lots of tricks to help set up the long cast time whoopass plus you can weave throw daggers and implosion into your godswhip cancelling. Mana regen and stun lift from aura too.

I hear good things about Reaper in smaller pvp settings. (sorc/occ/shadow) if you wanna dabble in occultism. I don't play them as much as enigmatist though.

Careful if you start playing skullknight, it's so much bloody fun you may never look back. Your damage will be no where near a sorc, but the survivability is huge as is the massive CC.

Shroudmaster is pretty fun, it's not on your list (occ/witch/shadow). Hell, level Sorc/Aura/Occ/Witch/Def and Shadow to 50 and switch em all around till you find what you like then take that build to 55.

Classypants
06-29-2016, 12:18 PM
I would pick sorcery and defense and whatever else you want here. Lots of damage good magic and physical defense. Not a lot of mobility with sorcery. If you want range(such as archery) then just pick anything archery+def+whatever else you want here. If you wanna go that route I would take liberator I believe its Archery+Defense+Battlerage(that means you have 2 attack trees). Most people have 1 tree be their main attack/damage tree and the other 2 trees are just there for support to pair with their 1st tree.

Chipacito
06-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Enigmatist is extremely mobile and has lots of tricks to help set up the long cast time whoopass

Should i use Katana over scepter and staff for reduced cast time?

Moleman
06-30-2016, 01:55 PM
IMO the scepter is better magic damage and magic penetration than katana, and from what I am reading the staff is insane magic pen procs, there are plenty of other ways to reduce cast time (jewelry, cloak, passives, etc.). I suggest you go shield and scepter while you get your other gear built out and save up for a wicked staff. The shield and scepter will help you stay alive while you're catching up. once caught up, that divine/epic t5+ staff should do some heavy lifting and you can always fall back on your shield/scept in hard times.

Moleman
06-30-2016, 02:02 PM
For the hell of it, here's a generic conservation of mana, 100% melee accuracy, mobile, godswhip cancelling freakshow build (deep freeze meteor available)

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/409348

GW > implode > GW > daggers > GW > freezing earth > GW > Chain lightning > Cheesewiz > cheddar spread > kolby > Muenster > Nacho > Swiss Cheese > Cheesey cheese

Cohiba
07-01-2016, 04:50 AM
For the hell of it, here's a generic conservation of mana, 100% melee accuracy, mobile, godswhip cancelling freakshow build (deep freeze meteor available)

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/409348

GW > implode > GW > daggers > GW > freezing earth > GW > Chain lightning > Cheesewiz > cheddar spread > kolby > Muenster > Nacho > Swiss Cheese > Cheesey cheese

Enigmatist is indeed a very nice class that should fit the OPs general idea. Also decent combo you listed there :) can add in chain lightning and shadowsmite in that gods whip cancellation aswell.

Your skillbuild however is not viable for PvP, you are missing some core skills and have some useless mana stuff specced.
I'm just gonna assume that you missclicked on the auramancy passive and wanted to be super mana pot friendly, but arc lightning and leech are WAY more important than some mana stuff. no leech? no thwart passive? 20% mana passive??? no arc lightning?? that's some funky stuff man! I really hope you don't play that yourself, because thwart without hearten is quite pathetic and leech is extremely good, so is arc lightning. you should not really have mana issues at all.. if you don't even have a point for stalkers mark, you definitely don't have one for meditate.

either way here is my idea, obviously open for suggestions. left that melee accuracy passive in there to save you from major frustration, eventhough many people will leave this out and take the risk of missing their overwhelm and shadowsmite.

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/409430

Moleman
07-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Implode clears all your thwart stacks and I use it really implode often. I actually run yes hearten, no implode alot of the time cause the attack speed is just too kool. I hate not having leech, but in group pvp which I do more than any other pvp, my mates are always knocking the leech of my enemies. The mana passives are indeed optional, in bigger pvp I often get away with standing near a huge fight and meditating while everyone else is trying to kill the healers/revenents or foolishly the tanks.