PDA

View Full Version : Quest text annoyances

Shantar
08-18-2014, 10:20 AM
This may been posted but I could not find anything and/or was not willing to trawl through hundreds of posts..

The text area for quests is huge yet it only displays a few lines of text meaning most need scrolling to read it all. The biggest annoyance is that by default it scrolls to the bottom so you have to scroll up to read from the beginning. The font is very large and so is the line spacing so by reducing the font slightly and the line spacing the vast majority of quest text will display on a single page easily.

Another annoyance is that the previous button is actually every part of the screen so any misclick steps you back a page. It is very easy to misclick the scroll bar. Easy fix, make the previous button hot spot the actual button not the whole dialogue box.

Twyll
08-18-2014, 01:51 PM
The fact that the scroll bar defaults to the bottom was really annoying me too. The bar at least needs some nice big up and down buttons to make scrolling a bit easier, and it should always default to the top of the text. I wonder if they thought we just wanted to do the quests and didn't feel like reading what they wrote? :P

It would also be nice if scrolling the mouse wheel while hovering over the text box itself scrolled the text instead of zooming in/out, so we wouldn't have to grab the bar and drag it manually.

Defalt
08-19-2014, 10:41 AM
If you press ESC and hit options, you can turn the UI to 80% if it doesn't bother your eyes, I found this for a decent fix for the text being ginormous (I honestly wish I could change the UI percentage to 60% or lower).

The whole quest objective window is messed.

I'm going to contribute to this, because I dislike it also. What I hated about it was two things in particular and one to do specifically with the main story quest. The main story quest; was for whatever reason was able to be abandoned, which is just stupid. I couldn't tell you how many times a guild member abandoned their main quest and then had to search through the interwebs on where to pick it up at. So I propose a fix for this - make it so we obviously cannot abandon it, and then secondly, instead of putting some goofy green icon next to the story quest, put a green box in the quest objective screen that has the story line within it, at the top. The other issue, is when one has several quests and the scroll bar does appear, if one scrolls to the more-so bottom quests, where the scroll bar is not docked at the top-most quests, and uses an ability within the quest - say to, turn a mob into a chicken, the scroll bar resets itself, moving itself back up to the top, making doing quests like that an entire pain in the backside.

Simple annoyances. Besides the major annoyance of how none of the bug issues from CBE2 to CBE3 were implemented or fixed.

Kameron
08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
The biggest annoyance is that by default it scrolls to the bottom so you have to scroll up to read from the beginning. The font is very large and so is the line spacing so by reducing the font slightly and the line spacing the vast majority of quest text will display on a single page easily.

Another annoyance is that the previous button is actually every part of the screen so any misclick steps you back a page. It is very easy to misclick the scroll bar. Easy fix, make the previous button hot spot the actual button not the whole dialogue box.

Couldn't agree more, thought I was the only one! I usually have my mouse ready to go on the completely opposite side of the screen, so the default bottom scroll was rather irritating for someone who enjoys quest text, especially considering a miss click sends you backward >_< It's just the little things that make all the difference.

Josh
08-22-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm not a HUGE fan of reading quest text, but I do occasionally enjoy reading it. But when it automatically scrolls to bottom, it becomes too much of a hassle to scroll back up and then back down for each page. I'm assuming they are aware of this issue though and will be fixing it soon.

Other than that, I can't seem to find any bugs in the short amount that I played in the last beta. All-around pretty well designed game so far.

And I agree that you shouldn't be able to delete the main quest, but you should be able to hide the little green arrow (or any of the arrows) if you're not actively doing the quest. Maybe there's already an option for that though, I'm not entirely sure.