PDA

View Full Version : Ride the stallion of the seas and try on some new summer fashions from the Marketplace discussion

Celestrata Bloodsong
07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/07/Swim_Lockbox_blog.jpg

Horse, meet Ocean. Ocean, meet horse. Go beyond the shores and across the surface on our newest aquatic mount, the Aquestria! Plus, brand new swimsuits are now available for you to have some fun in the sun. Don’t be a stick in the mud - ride out to the beaches of Erenor today, before the heat fades away!

Additionally, starting this week, mounts and costumes will be bind on pickup if you receive one from a Marketplace chest or crate. If you wish to sell an unwanted costume on the Auction House, you can still do so by fusing the costume as an image item to an Auction Mannequin.

New Credit Items

Seaside Treasure Chest – 420 Credits – Contains a random selection of consumables and components, including a chance for a Superior Red Regrade Charm, a Red Regrade Charm, Lucid Lunagems, Summer Nights Swimwear, or the mythical sea stag Aquestria!

New Loyalty Items

Summer Nights Swimwear – 400 Loyalty – Word of this new type of summer fashion has spread across Erenor faster than an Apex Squall. First worn on the beaches of Sanddeep by Rose Avonelle during the Blue Salt Festival, the designer of this new look has remained a mystery.
Aquestria – 625 Loyalty – Once thought to be a myth, Aquestria is a classic feature in fish tales throughout Erenor. To some she is a deadly trickster--for others, a savior of drowning sailors. But on one point all agree: anyone lucky enough to saddle Aquestria will win the creature's undying loyalty, and need never fear the ocean depths again.

Retiring Items

Shadow Daru Stash

Depingah
07-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Uhm... what's this constellation stuff? It says it's a buff... but doesn't say what?

Did I just waste 15 merits?

raincloud
07-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I also want to know what the Constellation Jar is.
Can you buy more than one per character, and just not use them at the same time...?

Lambina
07-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Great new mount but... why put this bind on pickup ? I was really so happy to take my mount or my costume on AH without shop but with this you don't have any choice... sad.

absolem
07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
can anybody say if the new costume has a alternate appearance?

Hektixx
07-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Off Topic. When we get update 3.0???

CorScor
07-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Great new mount but... why put this bind on pickup ? I was really so happy to take my mount or my costume on AH without shop but with this you don't have any choice... sad.

Because there's too much cc fraud when they're tradeable. More detailed post from another thread:

So let's talk about this, because there are some misconceptions in the thread and it also sounds like some people may not fully know the ins and outs of working with credit card companies and dealing with fraud purchases.

So first, out of the gate, we really like having items in lockboxes be tradable for a variety of reasons. Foremost to us is that it provides a better experience for you guys, especially if you want to play ArcheAge for free. Being able to purchase items like this for gold from the auction house is a cool experience that many other games don't offer. Leaving them tradable also helps out players who choose to buy these items from the Marketplace for credits. This way when they're opening up their lockboxes, if they get a double of an item they're able to sell it to someone else. That double now doesn't go to waste. Finally, because doubles are valuable, some people do choose to purchase more lockboxes so they can sell those items on the auction house or trade with friends and guild mates. Again, those extra purchases help us sustain the game and sustain ourselves as a business. In short, this is an almost perfect setup that gives everyone what they want.

To go back to the old method and bind everything to characters on pickup isn't ideal for us. We had hoped that the fraud rates we'd see wouldn't spike too high from these changes (because we always have to deal with fraud -- any online business has to deal with that in some form) and we were excited to bring in a change we knew players would like. Now we'll get to how unbound items are a fraud target later in the post. We should discuss why fraud is bad first.

Fraud isn't as simple as the business dealing with purchases made by stolen credit cards, resulting in us refunding purchases to the card's rightful owner when they file a chargeback. Fraud also can result in the company paying increased fees to credit card companies, or the credit card companies refusing to process payments for the company altogether. If you don't believe that, you should check out what happened to our industry neighbor TinyBuild (http://tinybuild.com/g2a-sold-450k-worth-of-our-game-keys). They tried to sell their games through their own store, got hit hard by fraudulent purchases, and credit card companies shut down their access. Their shop was literally torn asunder by fraud.

That's why fraud is much more insidious and important to deal with as a business. We want to make sure we aren't taking payments from unverified customers. Now, we have many sets of systems in place to deal with this. Ever wonder why sometimes you have to wait for your purchase to be completed when you buy credits? That's some of our anti-fraud protection at work. Our systems look for users who are making odd purchases and we stop the transaction until a member of our customer service staff can review your account and your payment information to make sure it wasn't stolen or faulty. We do this for your protection if you get hacked so you don't find a huge number of purchases on your credit card, and for our protection so we can keep fraud out of our business.

So now that we've tackled why fraud is seriously bad, let's discuss how unbound items become the target of fraud. It's simply really -- mounts and costumes are high value items that can be sold for large sums of gold on the auction house. That's why people who perform fraud love to target them. A hacker comes in, uses a stolen credit card to get a number of credits, uses those credits to get supply crates, gets the mount or costume, and then either stashes it away, sells it to another player directly, or attempts to sell it on the auction house. Once that's done, they take the gold they made and send it to another character to be kept. The end result is their characters holding an amount of gold while someone else's credit card gets illegally charged.

Celestrata, why do these people care about gold? I'm sure that's what you may be asking yourself at this point, and this is where the story turns to the familiar. These hackers who use stolen credit cards to make purchases and sell them for gold are, you guessed it, usually gold sellers. These are the guys at those shady websites that promise you huge amounts of in-game gold for real world money. If you ever wondered why it was cheap, it's usually because they're using both in-game grinding bots AND making fraudulent purchases to steal gold out of the economy. So when you buy gold, you are literally encouraging these groups to keep doing what they're doing. Plus, it's also not uncommon for them to suddenly use your credit card information (which you gave to them when you bought your gold) to then illegally purchase items from another game. The cycle of fraud continues, and you've both given them money and became a victim all in one swoop. This is why we keep telling players to NEVER buy gold from an illegal gold selling site outside of the game. You inadvertently fund the theft of someone else's credit card, and may have your own card stolen in the process.

Binding items to characters cuts out the trade possibilities. Mounts can no longer be sold to others, so fraud suddenly drops. They can't get the gold they desire. Costumes, as many people have pointed out, can still be traded through the auction house with the Auction Mannequin. That seems counterintiuitive, except we can track where those mannequins are going very closely. We may be able to catch additional people involved with the scheme or prevent the item from ever being sold to a legitimate player. It also requires the fraudsters to purchase higher amounts of credits, which can lead to our anti-fraud systems catching them faster as their accounts act more and more strangely.

So there you have it -- the ins and outs of how all of this works, why it's bad, who it's helping, and how binding items to characters helps stop it. If there's any questions on this, we're happy to answer.

TL;DR -- Items that have high values of gold and can be traded between players attracts fraud purchases. Fraudsters steal credit cards to make purchases so they can get large sums of gold, which they then sell to other players via gold selling sites. The credit card you use on a gold selling site may end up being stolen in the process. Binding items to characters stops fraudsters from purchasing them, as they can't get high amounts of gold out of the deal and effectively make money.

Tjlongshield
07-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey Celestrata, umm im not a huge fan of this new outfit, but i LOVE the sunglasses. could you pretty, pretty please put sunglasses in the marketplace as a new head image item? i would really love to get some sunglasses! could you forward this to XLgames and your dev team. srsly i know a lot of people would buy some shades. not everyone wears outfits and i dont really wanna wear a slutty swimsuit. so please could you put in word for some sunglasses in the cash shop. you'd be the bestiest evers for it!

biged
07-23-2016, 01:55 AM
what i would like to know is way do the sea mounts have no equipment slots so you can upgred them like your land mounts

Soulgutter
07-23-2016, 09:15 PM
To go back to the old method and bind everything to characters on pickup isn't ideal for us.

Binding items to characters cuts out the trade possibilities. Mounts can no longer be sold to others, so fraud suddenly drops. They can't get the gold they desire. Costumes, as many people have pointed out, can still be traded through the auction house with the Auction Mannequin. That seems counterintiuitive, except we can track where those mannequins are going very closely.

Of course going back to the old method and bind everything to characters on pickup isn't ideal for them. Unless they can make it so that Costumes can still be traded through the auction house with the Auction Mannequin...which someone has to purchase using credits purchased from Trion...which does make it ideal for them.

we can track where those mannequins are going very closely

I'm pretty sure they can track any item closely...they've merely chosen to narrow the field and make it profitable through sales at the same time.

Side note:
I've noticed a lot of these "Events" are not really done with the players in mind at all, just their wallets. When you have an event that involves players spending cash or awards on items needed to progress in an event, it's not an event, it's a sales drive. Nothing wrong with a sales drive, but once in a while an event that is truly for the players would be nice.

raincloud
07-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Any official word on the constellations?

Luniliel
07-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Because there's too much cc fraud when they're tradeable. More detailed post from another thread:

if you think they went back to the old system because of "frauds"... you sure are naive.

People that steals CC numbers and use it never bought costumes box to have a "chance" of getting one and sell them.. they are just buying APEX and selling them at a steady prices, which is more relevant that betting on RNG even if it's not their money. (Aka costumes cost around 2K-3K gold = 4 APEX. and with 4 apex you only can open 11 box which is nothing.)