PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the process RAM limit, step-by-step towards 64 bit

LigH
07-23-2016, 03:19 AM
Is the ArcheAge client currently only available as "conservative" 32 bit application? Task managers tell me that it hits hard the 2 GB limit of physical memory for a "conservative" 32 bit process. No surprise it takes a while to load all props (especially character models) after a teleport, it will probably be swapping for a while.

A brief improvement might be to link all related EXE and DLL components as LAA = "Large Address Aware", so that they may use up to 4 GB RAM, at least on a 64-bit Windows (a 32-bit Windows will not support breaking the 2-GB-per-process limit easily), until you may even add a native 64-bit client version which may use even more than 4 GB for its process.

I hope the engine libraries will support LAA; some linkers are known to (ab)use the msb to flag memory segments for special use.

LigH
07-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Do technical developers read here at all?

Richie1979
07-27-2016, 08:52 AM
I supose, no...

wooglemoogle
07-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Do technical developers read here at all?

Nope, since the devs are Korean. I believe Trion summarizes gameplay feedback and issues to send to XL, but concerning these technical points at least, it's been radio silence from Trion, so no idea what's going on there.

Orio
07-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Is the ArcheAge client currently only available as "conservative" 32 bit application? Task managers tell me that it hits hard the 2 GB limit of physical memory for a "conservative" 32 bit process. No surprise it takes a while to load all props (especially character models) after a teleport, it will probably be swapping for a while.

A brief improvement might be to link all related EXE and DLL components as LAA = "Large Address Aware", so that they may use up to 4 GB RAM, at least on a 64-bit Windows (a 32-bit Windows will not support breaking the 2-GB-per-process limit easily), until you may even add a native 64-bit client version which may use even more than 4 GB for its process.

I hope the engine libraries will support LAA; some linkers are known to (ab)use the msb to flag memory segments for special use.

Currently there is no x64 version available. Despite know 32bit limitation is game able to address more ram. Actually DX11 version address a LOT more than 2gb, and yes, its badly optimized...

Apparently there is x64 version of the CryEngine, but not available to AA yet.

LigH
07-28-2016, 02:32 PM
OK, it seems the archeage.exe is already flagged as LAA; it can access more than 2 GB on a 64 bit Windows. But it rarely uses so much with my rather careful options (e.g. disabled realtime shadows). Even after long travels, not much more than 2.2 GB are used. I believe the CryEngine has a good memory management, discarding a lot unused assets.

Kylieslater
08-02-2016, 08:43 AM
OK, it seems the archeage.exe is already flagged as LAA; it can access more than 2 GB on a 64 bit Windows. But it rarely uses so much with my rather careful options (e.g. disabled realtime shadows). Even after long travels, not much more than 2.2 GB are used. I believe the CryEngine has a good memory management, discarding a lot unused assets.
While it's not perfect it's certainly much better then games I've played previously. Also... The errors in x64 are usually just 2x worse then x32 just sayin :P