PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Ongoing DDOS Challenges

TrionBrasse
11-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Hello all,

We know that many of you have recently experienced difficulty connecting to our games over the past couple weeks. Its been disruptive and frustrating we hear you loud and clear. The constant, aggressive onslaught of DDOS attacks against multiple Network providers and here at Trion has been our #1 priority to address. We are and will continue to combat those issues moving forward.

In improving our resilience to these nearly-constant events, weve already taken a number of important steps:

1) First and foremost, weve been working around the clock with our ISPs to mitigate the major attacks when they happen. Every network provider is being hammered by DDOS attacks, which has caused connectivity issues across the map. Its really unfortunate, but weve been doing our part to help and so have they.

2) Weve upgraded major components of our network infrastructure. We can't share details at depth here, but we can say that this has improved our ability to address a number of the DDOS issues. Most of you have been playing through dozens of attacks without any degradation in your play.

3) Weve double and triple checked to ensure that were using best practices to harden our servers against a wider variety of types of attacks, as new ones are constantly being developed and deployed in the wild.

4) Our Firewalls are kept up-to-date and relevant and weve deployed a significant amount of automation to reduce any possible instances of human error.

The unpredictable nature of DDOS attacks makes it challenging to address in one fell swoop. However, weve already seen a big improvement from these measures. And this is only where we start our network teams are also looking to implement additional, in-house measures in the coming days, and we're working closely with our ISPs to bring even more of their capacities to bear.

We know this is a frustrating issue its frustrating for us too. Please know that we are doing everything we can to mitigate the issues or render them irrelevant to your play.

Thanks very much for your patience.

The Trion Worlds Team

rbb138
11-23-2016, 04:31 PM
So it was a DDOS?

Very strange to suddenly be announcing this important detail now.

Neverender
11-23-2016, 06:18 PM
I called it in my thread I posted earlier this week.

Reposting for grape justice.

This may not be the case, but I would honestly like to know if there's any truth to a DDOS attack going on against Trion right now. Multiple other MMOs are being hit right now, and have been for the last few days. I, for one, would feel a lot better knowing if it really is a DDOS that's somewhat out of Trion's hands. If this is actually what's happening, it could make a lot of people feel better knowing that it's not directly Trion's fault.

The lack of updates is a bit unnerving, especially when every time one gets posted, my lag/DC problems seems to get worse. However, if it really is just an ISP issue with Comcast/Time Warner, that's a thing too and disregard what I said.

That being said, the issue is getting really old. I've lost track of how many pots I've wasted, how many times I've lagged and died PVE deaths, wasting time in dungeons, all because I can't even keep myself alive. My repair bills are starting to get stupid expensive, and it's not even my fault. Are we supposed to not even try to progress when this is going on?

I even got a friend to start playing recently, just before this stuff started happening. The outlook of someone who's just starting the game and walking into problems like this is already making him not want to continue with the game. Any new players who started recently aren't really going to have high hopes when they can't even play.

I think I do speak for a number of people when I said I want to be compensated *fairly*. Throwing out a couple of days of Patron and some loyalty really will just feel like a slap in the face, like the actual implications of the problems we're having aren't being properly considered. This needs to be heavily thought about. I do understand that not everyone will be pleased about what we get in return for these issues, as is the nature of MMOs, but overly compensating will do a lot more good for the playerbase than making the majority of people feel shortchanged.

Trion, you really have a chance to hit the ball out of the park with how you handle this, but there's also a good chance to strike out with the whole community.

That being said, thank you for revealing what was actually happening.

ArcheAger
11-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Ok. Finally the true reason for the DC issue comes to light. This attack is entirely beyond Trion control. Therefore, I shall retire all my grievances related to DC issue against Trion. If you would have shared the reason earlier, it would have help us manage our anger better. But anyway, good job for stabilizing the DC situation. Behind every threat, there is opportunity. I am sure this DDOS threat episode has strengthened the defense and resiliency of Trion network infra to withstand further such attack. That is the silver lining in the cloud. Thank you also for 'tolerating' our rant and "nonsense" and "pressure" during this period. Lets look forward to making 3.0 launch successful and making AA a great game again - a game that all MMO players will Come, Craft, Claim, Collect and Conquer.

PS: Your decision to keep AA online throughout this attack is the right one. Otherwise, you may have played into the agenda of the hacker to shutdown the game. And that will only provide them with further motivation to attack again in future to achieve same agenda of shutting down and denying business services. Hope this sharing will pacify a bit the grieves of many players who lamented about why the game is not shutdown which resulted in their loss of trade packs and income in-game.

FluXIx
11-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Now that there equipment test didnt work... they blame a DDOS..lol

Col
11-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Give me 300 leadership and some labor pots and im happy

Antrax
11-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Ty for working on that.

perceneige
11-25-2016, 03:18 AM
good luck ^_^

SakuraCalleil
11-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Give me 300 leadership and some labor pots and im happy

Such entitlement!
Ask the people who started the attack for Compensation, not Trion.

Madoxx16
11-26-2016, 06:14 AM
Now that there equipment test didnt work... they blame a DDOS..lol

Not really, from the day of the DDOS - a friday , dc's began, they announced it on stream where many had concerns of not being able to log in and all that.

BillyCool
11-27-2016, 02:54 AM
we hear you loud and clear.

No, actually you don't. You never did.

cristalarc
11-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Such entitlement!
Ask the people who started the attack for Compensation, not Trion.

It is an online game, even though it is deplorable that somebody is disrupting the experience by making those attacks, it is Trion's responsibility to have a proper defense system and guarantee the quality of service. If they don't, you are free to call them whatever you want for not providing quality in their service...only a natural disaster would be an acceptable excuse.

svadilfari
11-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Hit ANY site with a flood of traffic and it'll crash. No amount of extra capacity will cope with massive overloads.

erich
12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
*yawn* here we go

Holger
12-15-2016, 08:33 AM
If you have no knowledge, than please STFU or RTFM!

The hosting company OVH was the victim of a 1 Tbps DDoS attack that hit its servers, this is the largest one ever seen on the Internet.
And? They were up and running.

You can build up your network and network-env. to be able to mitigate DOS and DDOS attacks.

If you want to learn more - google is your "friend" or pay me for a professional training - Thank you very much!

The Routings/Peerings Trion uses are not really "good" for handling DDOS-attacks:

AS3320 Deutsche Telekom AG
AS30282 Internap Network Services Corporation
AS7922 Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
AS12179 Internap Network Services Corporation

And Trion, it is YOUR JOB to use a proper ISP/Network with a good and stable DDOS-mitigation.

It's a joke, when something of your services are not working - while we are paying for it - than you pull out
the DDOS-Ghost and say: its not our fault, it was a DDOS.

And everyone who has no knowledge about that topic says: "uhhh DDOS, sounds bad,...than Trion is fine"

It is YOUR FAULT, you are not using the right environment.
You have far then enough money to be able to use a good one.

Which now brings us to the current FRESH-Server Situation.

ARE YOU KIDDING me?
I try to log into the game, i paid for Patron and i start with a Queue of 1600+ (EU-Server)

Why and how is that even possible?
DDOS again? Or just to incompetent to use a proper cluster/cloud?!

I NEVER got so less for my money than with Trion - thanks for that experience.

Best regards,
Holger

kenzxn
12-18-2016, 07:06 PM

The hosting company OVH was the victim of a 1 Tbps DDoS attack that hit its servers, this is the largest one ever seen on the Internet.

You can build up your network and network-env. to be able to mitigate DOS and DDOS attacks.

If you want to learn more - google is your "friend" or pay me for a professional training - Thank you very much!

The Routings/Peerings Trion uses are not really "good" for handling DDOS-attacks:

And Trion, it is YOUR JOB to use a proper ISP/Network with a good and stable DDOS-mitigation.

It's a joke, when something of your services are not working - while we are paying for it - than you pull out

And everyone who has no knowledge about that topic says: "uhhh DDOS, sounds bad,...than Trion is fine"

ARE YOU KIDDING me?
I try to log into the game, i paid for Patron and i start with a Queue of 1600+ (EU-Server)

Best regards,
Holger

looks like someone knowledgeable on the topic cant bear it anymore .. so whats Trion response to this ? if its not DOS and DDOS attacks

PlayVertical
12-18-2016, 07:15 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING me?

Best regards,
Holger

I hope people don't pay you for more information in English...

Figg
12-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Please do NOT give compensation this time around. This DDoS attack is obviously designed to make people demand that.

DMoDooM
12-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Almost a week of ♥♥♥♥ ques, DCs and Glitches that keep us from getting into the game, some of us pay for, and now supposedly you are being hit by a DDOS attack. I call bull ♥♥♥♥. If you were getting DDOSed you would have said something from the start instead of taking all the blame quietly. There better be one hell of a compensation at the end of all this or I'll be demanding a refund in full.

SavannahLynn
12-18-2016, 08:25 PM
This thread was from November nerds....

Stchieven
01-14-2017, 10:55 AM
When ever i try to load the game, the poem pops up, it loads part way then says "Archeage Error" Failed To Load Game Data!"
I've seen other ppl having the same problems.

Can you please fix this?
If there is anything i can do to fix this problem please tell me.

Skynowalker
01-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Don't turn off glyph launcher when you launch the game, or the game can bug like that :)

Stchieven
01-15-2017, 08:07 PM
I keep glyph on when i load the game. Ive never had this problem till now :/

Norian
01-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Failed to Load Game Data error (http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?291502-Failed-to-Load-Game-Data-error)

Close Glyph/ArcheAge completely
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Glyph\Games\ArcheAge\Live
Edit history.txt
Replace the version number with 323003
Save and Close the text file
Start Glyph and Attempt to patch once again, additional files will be required to download

Kingsreign
01-16-2017, 12:04 PM
So again today. if i dount get crashed to desktop from server select, i get a black screen for about 10 mins then see load screen only to finaly to get in game and have the message the gods have disconeted you.

Salphiragod
01-17-2017, 09:35 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING me?

Best regards,
Holger

Pretty much that, the whole we have improved our infrastructure is just a copy and paste from 2014, since launch these things have been happening, every company, including my own is a victim of ddos attacks, it's part of the business, investing in infrastructure is the only way of your business to remain unaffected, and all the gaming companies remain unaffected, except Trion.

At this point, ppl are not even sure of what to believe now, since they blame everything under the sun in XL and DDOS and somehow they have an army of full time white knights to defend them.

Donaldus57
05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
EU and US Servers are Down again

since 22.05 GMT-1 Berlin Time i have been trying to log in to the game and both Servers are DOWN !!

Earedil
06-13-2017, 04:25 AM
My character after being killed by mobs downgraded from ancestral level 5 to level 2!! I had utilized an immortal silver tonic prior to this hence i shouldn't have even lost a single XP point and not 3 levels. This is the second time it has occurred during the last 10 days and i have lost approximately 24000 honor points this way buying ancestral medals all over again as you can check it.
What happens with my honor points lost due to the bug?
Achilles-Leviathan (EU)