PDA

View Full Version : Two Handed Blighter (defense - Shadowplay - Battlerage )

Kidarta
08-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I've decided to try and make a build that switches between defense stuns and cc, with Damage and Cc . I came up with a 2 handed blighter. I Swap to my shield when necessary to use the skills of the defense tree, and swap back to my 2hander when i need to put out damage.

Heres the link to the build http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#1.8.3/8z2ZhaE87a1

Here's a link to a Test of the build during the current Closed Beta 4. I know i'm not at cap yet so its not a Complete Test but, at-least you guys can get the idea of what i'm trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYx_y3guaQ&list=UUXfA4M5_bHzLAoRkj-7Kz_A

FletchLives
08-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry bud, but I think you're trying to do something that other classes are better at (Darkrunner). Of course, you play whatever you want, it's your money but IMO you may be setting yourself up for failure :(

Kidarta
08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry bud, but I think you're trying to do something that other classes are better at (Darkrunner). Of course, you play whatever you want, it's your money but IMO you may be setting yourself up for failure :(

You've stated your opinion, but now can you tell me How this build is failure? If i'm utilizing the shield skills as well as doing damage with a 2 hander, what do you foresee being a problem?

FletchLives
08-23-2014, 05:59 PM
You've stated your opinion, but now can you tell me How this build is failure? If i'm utilizing the shield skills as well as doing damage with a 2 hander, what do you foresee being a problem?

Well just a few problems I see are:
1. mobility; You don't have dropback, shadowstep or freerunner.
2. boastful roar without shrug it off is meh damage. your points are better spent elsewhere
3. Frenzy = best buff in the game and you're taking wallop? Anyways, what are you going to spend all that bloodthirst on? No smite.....
4. weapon swapping has a 2 second cooldown (unless its changed recently). So even if you swap to nodachi to smite (which you didn't take) you have no way of sleeping / cc'ing the target to buy you that time for swap / on use effect / burst.
5. really? no Frenzy / Shadowsmite?? u sure?

Kidarta
08-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Well just a few problems I see are:
1. mobility; You don't have dropback, shadowstep or freerunner.
2. boastful roar without shrug it off is meh damage. your points are better spent elsewhere
3. Frenzy = best buff in the game and you're taking wallop? Anyways, what are you going to spend all that bloodthirst on? No smite.....
4. weapon swapping has a 2 second cooldown (unless its changed recently). So even if you swap to nodachi to smite (which you didn't take) you have no way of sleeping / cc'ing the target to buy you that time for swap / on use effect / burst.
5. really? no Frenzy / Shadowsmite?? u sure?

i get what you're saying, and thats the reason i posted the build; I needed to recieve constructive feedback.
http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#1.8.3/8jaGHba1tTE

I remade the build with the link above, I have shadowsmite, shadowstep and dropback now. I pickked up IMprison and dropped boastful roar.I also dropped invincibility for Revitalizing Cheer. IM kinda debating wether i should go with Revitalizing cheer or Boastful roar because even though you say the damage is Meh, Ive nearly 1 shot people with 2000 stacked mettle alone. I also picked up frenzy becuase you're right, it does do insane damage when activated.

Im not sure what the cooldown on weaponswap is normaly but because i use macros, i have no cooldown. I Can perfectly swap from 1h to 2hander in the few seconds an opponent is knocked down

FletchLives
08-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Best I could come up with for wielding a 2 hander and using defense. Redoubt won't help your block because you're not wearing a shield but it will keep you from getting knocked down. Someone else may have a better suggestion for you but this should work.
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/57855

Vryyce
08-23-2014, 11:29 PM
You might want to check weapon swap. He said 2 seconds and you told him he was wrong by basically proving he wasn't.

Bloodsheds
08-24-2014, 04:24 AM
In my humble opinion, I don't think weapon swapping is a hot idea. Takes too long, can't do it while your CC'ed, just not worth it really. I would try to focus on just sticking with a 2h or sticking with a shield. Having a shield isn't going to put your damage output that much lower than a 2h. It will be lower, but not like half or something ridiculous like that. If I was to be a blighter with 2h, I would go this build http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/58178. Goes for the throat, has a heal to stick it to the man when in a pinch. The problem is as a melee (usually), you're best defense is your offense. That's why Darkrunners (Battlerage, Shadowplay, Auramancy) and Shadowblades (Battlerage, Shadowplay, Witchcraft) are "better" choices because they press the attack more effectively. However, going with a shield as a Bligher (which is not a bad choice by any means) I personally would go, http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/58184. That's good melee defense, with great damage. That's a class that wrecks shop now. This is just my opinion though, you can tweak it around. Gotta put that shield to good use though!

Kriptini
08-24-2014, 04:52 AM
DO NOT DO WEAPON SWAPPING. Unless of course, you enjoy being dumped on.

Also, ITT: Noobs underestimating the crazy damage of Shadowsmite.

2-H Blighter is actually viable. You won't be using Redoubt, Shield Slam, or Bull Rush, but you'll still be using Boastful Roar and Invulnerability, which are the more important skills of a Blighter anyways. You could even add in Imprison or Revitalizing Cheer.

You should try this: http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#1.8.3/Bj0lJ0a1Gya1

One of the problems with the last build that you posted is that you have three Trips which is just excessive, considering that a 2-H Blighter's job is to eliminate a single target as quick as possible and diminishing returns kicks in on that third trip making it last a length of half a second. The goal of this build is to build as many stacks of Bloodthirst as possible and then Shadowsmite + Precision Strike for a kill.

Buff with Frenzy and Battle Focus, then lead with Stalker's Mark + Charge + Triple Slash. While your target is on the ground, use Pin Down and Wallop. (If you're fighting something tanky and with little mobility, build more stacks of Bloodthirst with Rapid Strike.) Use Overwhelm*, then quickly circle behind your target and smash Shadowsmite + Precision Strike. If you did it right, your target should be dead. If not, stall for cooldowns using Invulnerability, or finish them off with Boastful Roar if you've been taking damage in the meantime.

(*It is extremely important that you DO NOT burn Overwhelm early! Only use Overwhelm immediately before Shadowsmite!)

All of your other skills are for situational usage. Tiger Strike, Shadowstep, and Drop Back keep you extremely mobile. Lasso allows you to pull an enemy into your camp from a fairly long range, which is extremely useful.

Kidarta
08-24-2014, 02:39 PM
DO NOT DO WEAPON SWAPPING. Unless of course, you enjoy being dumped on.

Also, ITT: Noobs underestimating the crazy damage of Shadowsmite.

2-H Blighter is actually viable. You won't be using Redoubt, Shield Slam, or Bull Rush, but you'll still be using Boastful Roar and Invulnerability, which are the more important skills of a Blighter anyways. You could even add in Imprison or Revitalizing Cheer.

You should try this: http://arche-base.com/builds/generator#1.8.3/Bj0lJ0a1Gya1

One of the problems with the last build that you posted is that you have three Trips which is just excessive, considering that a 2-H Blighter's job is to eliminate a single target as quick as possible and diminishing returns kicks in on that third trip making it last a length of half a second. The goal of this build is to build as many stacks of Bloodthirst as possible and then Shadowsmite + Precision Strike for a kill.

Buff with Frenzy and Battle Focus, then lead with Stalker's Mark + Charge + Triple Slash. While your target is on the ground, use Pin Down and Wallop. (If you're fighting something tanky and with little mobility, build more stacks of Bloodthirst with Rapid Strike.) Use Overwhelm*, then quickly circle behind your target and smash Shadowsmite + Precision Strike. If you did it right, your target should be dead. If not, stall for cooldowns using Invulnerability, or finish them off with Boastful Roar if you've been taking damage in the meantime.

(*It is extremely important that you DO NOT burn Overwhelm early! Only use Overwhelm immediately before Shadowsmite!)

All of your other skills are for situational usage. Tiger Strike, Shadowstep, and Drop Back keep you extremely mobile. Lasso allows you to pull an enemy into your camp from a fairly long range, which is extremely useful.

I have to say, this definitely looks like the most well thought out 2h blighter Build, I like it man it looks like it would work really well. The damage from overwhelm and shadowsmite is going to be vicious. Also, the fact i have two bloodlust stacking skills will allow me to dish out Insane burst damage. I like this man.. thanks

I did change one thing though ; i took out wepaon manufers (+ melee damage) for Percing in the shadowplay tree, it gives a +10 crit rate for 8 secondes after a crit.. Seems pretty deadly to me

Kidarta
08-24-2014, 02:42 PM
In my humble opinion, I don't think weapon swapping is a hot idea. Takes too long, can't do it while your CC'ed, just not worth it really. I would try to focus on just sticking with a 2h or sticking with a shield. Having a shield isn't going to put your damage output that much lower than a 2h. It will be lower, but not like half or something ridiculous like that. If I was to be a blighter with 2h, I would go this build http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/58178. Goes for the throat, has a heal to stick it to the man when in a pinch. The problem is as a melee (usually), you're best defense is your offense. That's why Darkrunners (Battlerage, Shadowplay, Auramancy) and Shadowblades (Battlerage, Shadowplay, Witchcraft) are "better" choices because they press the attack more effectively. However, going with a shield as a Bligher (which is not a bad choice by any means) I personally would go, http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/58184. That's good melee defense, with great damage. That's a class that wrecks shop now. This is just my opinion though, you can tweak it around. Gotta put that shield to good use though!

You're right about my defense being my offense, im going to try going a full 2handed blighter and see how it works out for a while. I like using a shield but even more importantly i just love the way Nadochi's look in this game, and thats why im trying my hardest to work 2hander into a blighter build.

Kidarta
08-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Best I could come up with for wielding a 2 hander and using defense. Redoubt won't help your block because you're not wearing a shield but it will keep you from getting knocked down. Someone else may have a better suggestion for you but this should work.
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/57855

i decided to take redoubt out my build, It seems like a good skill for shield blighters, or to cancel kd's, but if i use my manuver and mobility skills correctly, i should be able to avoid knockdowns through skill

Kriptini
08-24-2014, 03:39 PM
I did change one thing though ; i took out wepaon manufers (+ melee damage) for Percing in the shadowplay tree, it gives a +10 crit rate for 8 secondes after a crit.. Seems pretty deadly to me

Yeah, that's a good idea. I kinda forgot about that.

Bojangles
08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
How about something like this:

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/59769

It's similar to one of the other builds Kriptini mentioned here, but I moved a few things around based on what I noticed from PvPing as a melee: you do not want to be less mobile than your target. While Lasso and Tiger Strike are good gap closers, you're going to need a speed boost for when you target slips out of the way. Reckless Charge keeps you moving after using one of your gap closers (in case they manage to slip out of your range), and Freerunner gives you the nitrous boost when you're just out of 20m range (which is where most good archers will try to keep you). You can have all the burst damage potential you want, but it means NOTHING if you can't catch your target.

Frenzy is nice when exclusively fighting casters, but in most open-world situations Frenzy gets me into more trouble because of the debuff (running around with almost no physical defense sucks when you get pin-cushioned by archers after killing their caster...). If you were running a sword & board Blighter I would consider Frenzy, but since you're going 2-handed you don't want to leave yourself vulnerable like that. Might as well use that point elsewhere!

Wallop is fine in PvE, but IMO the animation takes a bit too much time in PvP to be more useful than other options, especially if you are already running Triple Slash in your build (keep in mind you're also using a 2-handed weapon, which is on the slower side of attack speeds). If you're looking for some Blood-thirst stacking, Rapid Strike, Overwhelm and Pin Down should be good enough. Otherwise the same strategy applies: after your first trip try to get Puncture on your target with Rapid Strike, then move into Overwhelm > Shadowsmite > Precise Strike for the finisher. If they manage to survive and slip away, your Reckless Charge that activates thanks to your Charge from earlier will keep you moving, and then you can use Freerunner to get within Tiger Strike (or Lasso, if you're feeling lucky) to get yourself within range to keep fighting. And hell, if you got the Mettle stacked you might as well blow them up with Boastful Roar, too!

Just my two cents based on the build you run, so feel free to follow whatever you like. Hope this helps!

Kriptini
08-26-2014, 06:39 PM

It's similar to one of the other builds Kriptini mentioned here, but I moved a few things around based on what I noticed from PvPing as a melee: you do not want to be less mobile than your target. While Lasso and Tiger Strike are good gap closers, you're going to need a speed boost for when you target slips out of the way. Reckless Charge keeps you moving after using one of your gap closers (in case they manage to slip out of your range), and Freerunner gives you the nitrous boost when you're just out of 20m range (which is where most good archers will try to keep you). You can have all the burst damage potential you want, but it means NOTHING if you can't catch your target.

Frenzy is nice when exclusively fighting casters, but in most open-world situations Frenzy gets me into more trouble because of the debuff (running around with almost no physical defense sucks when you get pin-cushioned by archers after killing their caster...). If you were running a sword & board Blighter I would consider Frenzy, but since you're going 2-handed you don't want to leave yourself vulnerable like that. Might as well use that point elsewhere!

Wallop is fine in PvE, but IMO the animation takes a bit too much time in PvP to be more useful than other options, especially if you are already running Triple Slash in your build (keep in mind you're also using a 2-handed weapon, which is on the slower side of attack speeds). If you're looking for some Blood-thirst stacking, Rapid Strike, Overwhelm and Pin Down should be good enough. Otherwise the same strategy applies: after your first trip try to get Puncture on your target with Rapid Strike, then move into Overwhelm > Shadowsmite > Precise Strike for the finisher. If they manage to survive and slip away, your Reckless Charge that activates thanks to your Charge from earlier will keep you moving, and then you can use Freerunner to get within Tiger Strike (or Lasso, if you're feeling lucky) to get yourself within range to keep fighting. And hell, if you got the Mettle stacked you might as well blow them up with Boastful Roar, too!

Just my two cents based on the build you run, so feel free to follow whatever you like. Hope this helps!

This is all very excellent advice, I think it's definitely worth following.

HeelerKY
08-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Why do you have Dual-Wield Proficiency on a 2-Hander build? And shouldn't we only max to level 50, not 55?

Bojangles
08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Why do you have Dual-Wield Proficiency on a 2-Hander build? And shouldn't we only max to level 50, not 55?

Forgot to set the limit to level 50, but only 23 skill points were spent anyway. With that in mind it matches.

As far as Dual-Wield Proficiency, the second part of that passive (8% critical increase to melee critical rate) applies to all types of fighting styles, not just dual-wielding (been tested by several in-game). So even though this is for a 2-handed build, you'd want that passive for the 8% critical rate increase.

NameChangeNeeded
08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Forgot to set the limit to level 50, but only 23 skill points were spent anyway. With that in mind it matches.

As far as Dual-Wield Proficiency, the second part of that passive (8% critical increase to melee critical rate) applies to all types of fighting styles, not just dual-wielding (been tested by several in-game). So even though this is for a 2-handed build, you'd want that passive for the 8% critical rate increase.

Dang, I never even thought about that 8% crit still working for 2h. I wasn't considering that passive, but if your right, then It's a must no matter what weapon your using.

Bojangles
08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Dang, I never even thought about that 8% crit still working for 2h. I wasn't considering that passive, but if your right, then It's a must no matter what weapon your using.

My guess is that XL wanted to buff Battlerage with a critical rate increase but didn't want to add in another passive, so they slapped it onto an existing one. The problem is since the passive is Dual-Wield Proficiency most people wouldn't think that applies to all weapon types, but apparently it does. Feel free to test it yourself!

Sarevok
08-28-2014, 10:05 AM
This is what I run when I go Blighter 2h - http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/64171

I use a 2h Greatsword(thought about switching to 2h axe for bleeding proc) for the parry proc to help keep precision strike off cd. Illustrious Desert armor for Str/Stam so parry is pretty high ontop of that and Battle Focus makes you very difficult to kill vs melee. When killing range/casters you need to keep the pressure on them and stay on them. Combos I use:

1. Battle Focus + Freerunner (Like another 5% crit)
2. Stalker's Mark + Tiger Strike to pop their Insultated Lens
3. Overwhelm + Shadowsmite (Shadowsmite still hits for around 2k non-crit for me and nearly 4.5k when it crits with 1 bloodthirst) + Precision Strike
4. Charge + Trip Slash for trip + Wallpop(bonus damage from shaken)
5. Frenzy to begin building damage and resist magic (can pop this early if your CC combo doesn't go off correctly).
6. Improvise and continue to drop the DPS!

MrMitch
08-28-2014, 10:11 AM
You're right about my defense being my offense, im going to try going a full 2handed blighter and see how it works out for a while. I like using a shield but even more importantly i just love the way Nadochi's look in this game, and thats why im trying my hardest to work 2hander into a blighter build.
best thing to do imo is also go battlerage,shadowplay and auramancy. wilt auramancy you have that "blink" skill it's just so effecitve in combat when you agro more then 1 mob. you can handle them easile 1v3 if you'd like to its just that litle bit more. also with batlerage and shadowplay you have some good combo effects. be sure to use them! you'll have tons of dmg and also that self-buff at the same time with auramancy :D

Wolfjoint
09-19-2014, 11:45 PM
I have to say, this definitely looks like the most well thought out 2h blighter Build, I like it man it looks like it would work really well. The damage from overwhelm and shadowsmite is going to be vicious. Also, the fact i have two bloodlust stacking skills will allow me to dish out Insane burst damage. I like this man.. thanks

What type of armor should you use for that build?

phreeak
10-09-2014, 11:08 AM
what is better for a 2h blighter.. Great Axe or Sword? Is the axe bleeding proc noticeable?

AndyMcdonell
10-09-2014, 11:10 AM

It's called using both 1h and shield AND 2h. That's why this build sucks, it's because you're displaying it at such a low skill cap.

Blighter is actually a high skill cap class (even though they could be braindead cause of RNG), which means there is a better way to play Blighter than what most people are doing right now.

Also, the best 2h for Blighter is definitely Nodachi. You use Sword + Shield and then when you land your stuns, you switch to 2h and burst. Sounds like too much work, true. But It's worth it. And the shield stuns are actually that good, believe me.

Kidarta
10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
ive completed ditched blighter just because the class is too common; IM playing shadowknight currently. Heres my most recent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8qa4AaumI&list=PLxtsy3LXDc5GpIdDN14QLtK2B5qJWCmQd