PDA

View Full Version : The new passive mechanic

Scan
04-18-2014, 11:37 PM
So, this may have been brought up before on other threads, and I have noticed them, I felt it wasn't really getting the attention it deserved.

Based on the latest stream focusing on Class Crafting several days ago, http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/520746621, I picked up on the way that passives were now linked and had to be acquired in succession to grab the better passives down the tree.

I could only explain this through the management feeling that some class trees were being too undefined, only being "dipped" into because it had several key spells and passives that were just too strong to pass up, Calling/Shadowplay coming to mind. While I can agree that it is a bit of an issue, and this would be an interesting step in the right direction to prevent such dipping from occuring, I can't help but notice that many popular builds out there may or may not become unviable. Valuable points will have to be spent on passives leading up to better passives, and less minmaxing will occur.

Thoughts?

Dashiepooh
04-19-2014, 01:44 AM
So, this may have been brought up before on other threads, and I have noticed them, I felt it wasn't really getting the attention it deserved.

Based on the latest stream focusing on Class Crafting several days ago, http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/520746621, I picked up on the way that passives were now linked and had to be acquired in succession to grab the better passives down the tree.

I could only explain this through the management feeling that some class trees were being too undefined, only being "dipped" into because it had several key spells and passives that were just too strong to pass up, Calling/Shadowplay coming to mind. While I can agree that it is a bit of an issue, and this would be an interesting step in the right direction to prevent such dipping from occuring, I can't help but notice that many popular builds out there may or may not become unviable. Valuable points will have to be spent on passives leading up to better passives, and less minmaxing will occur.

Thoughts?

This is incorrect, you have set tiers at which you can take passive skills, as long as you have 7 skills(this includes passives) you can take ANY of the passives in any order.

Scan
04-19-2014, 01:51 AM
So you don't need to take them in order? I was of the mind that you needed to based on the brackets between the passives, leading me to think they were connected in some way.

Dashiepooh
04-19-2014, 01:53 AM
So you don't need to take them in order? I was of the mind that you needed to based on the brackets between the passives, leading me to think they were connected in some way.

Nope, not sure why they put a bracket, but you can still take any passive, each one has a number of skills required before you can put a point into it though.

Scan
04-19-2014, 02:00 AM
That's a bit strange. I remember Scapes even mentioning around... 16:00 ish that you needed to go down the passives to get more and more potent ones. Maybe he made a mistake? FireCait even confirms it mentioning that you need around 12 skills to get the most potent passive. So not only the required skills (2,3,5,6,7) but passives in order. But maybe I'm just nuts.

Dashiepooh
04-19-2014, 02:12 AM
That's a bit strange. I remember Scapes even mentioning around... 16:00 ish that you needed to go down the passives to get more and more potent ones. Maybe he made a mistake? FireCait even confirms it mentioning that you need around 12 skills to get the most potent passive. So not only the required skills (2,3,5,6,7) but passives in order. But maybe I'm just nuts.

My Guild Leader is in the Alpha, and he has confirmed that as long as you have at least 7 skills (Including Passives) you can take any of the passives in that skill line, so unless they plan on changing that after Alpha, or in a later patch they were misinformed or incorrectly stated how it works.

You can test that out here; http://arche-base.com/builds/generator

You will see the numbers next to each passives telling you how many skills you need to unlock that passive.

Scan
04-19-2014, 02:19 AM
My Guild Leader is in the Alpha, and he has confirmed that as long as you have at least 7 skills (Including Passives) you can take any of the passives in that skill line, so unless they plan on changing that after Alpha, or in a later patch they were misinformed or incorrectly stated how it works.

You can test that out here; http://arche-base.com/builds/generator

You will see the numbers next to each passives telling you how many skills you need to unlock that passive.

Lol, yeah I saw Nekrage during the stream, as well as several Oran'Thul members so I know some of you have access to the Alpha.

To the Arche-base builder, I already use it frequently since I do like to pump out builds for future reference, and I'm pretty familiar with how it works. The point of this thread was an issue I was having with a friend where we were arguing over this little bit and I was worried about how I'd need to space my points for builds, taking considerations for the passives. If the Alpha is the unchanged base that Trion is going with for now, then yeah I can agree with you about the whole thing being incorrect.

But if they were changing the way the builds were, confirming what Firecait and Scapes mentioned, then I'd be worried over the current state of most builds.

Dashiepooh
04-19-2014, 02:21 AM
Lol, yeah I saw Nekrage during the stream, as well as several Oran'Thul members so I know some of you have access to the Alpha.

To the Arche-base builder, I already use it frequently since I do like to pump out builds for future reference, and I'm pretty familiar with how it works. The point of this thread was an issue I was having with a friend where we were arguing over this little bit and I was worried about how I'd need to space my points for builds, taking considerations for the passives. If the Alpha is the unchanged base that Trion is going with for now, then yeah I can agree with you about the whole thing being incorrect.

But if they were changing the way the builds were, confirming what Firecait and Scapes mentioned, then I'd be worried over the current state of most builds.

I'm leaning towards they were misinformed or said it incorrectly, I doubt they would change something so drastically without notice.

Scan
04-19-2014, 02:24 AM
I'm leading towards they were misinformed or said it incorrectly, I doubt they would change something so drastically without notice.

You could def be right. I doubt they'd mention something like that so easily, since it would force players to alter their builds. Guess we'd have to wait and see.