PDA

View Full Version : XP for Crafting

Trytus
04-19-2014, 09:18 AM
A few streamers have mentioned that the xp for crafting may be a little low. Seeing as players only have limited labor points especially those who are free to play, would peeps like to see crafting get an xp boost? I know there are a lot of players who would prefer to craft rather than quest; It would be nice if the rewards were a little greater.

Simsu
04-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Experience for crafting/gathering is based on the amount of LP you use on each task. If using 10 LP gets you 200 XP then using 20 gets you 400 (numbers, made-up, but that's the premise).

I've heard Trion mention a couple of times that it's viable to level with only crafting (and even that some of the alpha testers have done it), but in my experience while it's certainly possible to do it, it's far from being viable. Regardless of how much you want to craft, your experience gain will be limited by the LP regen rate and if you play any significant amount of time as you'll burn through your LP fairly quickly. People who don't craft or rarely use their LP will probably have no complaints about LP gain, or exp from crafting, but heavy crafters will probably have no problem burning through it. (I burned 3600 in 30 minutes earlier today while crafting armor).

All of that is to say, I'm not sure if crafting needs an exp boost or if LP gained needs a boost. I tend to think both.

Solipsism
04-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Whether crafting is a "viable" way to level depends on your definition. It takes much longer than just questing, yes, but you're obviously getting other benefits on top of the XP, and doing something you like instead of tedious quests. I've been watching Bikeman's stream and he's making decent progress purely through crafting. I kinda expect it to be slower than questing. It could probably use a boost in the later levels but it's not that bad currently unless you're in a huge rush to 50.

Simsu
04-21-2014, 03:02 AM
Whether crafting is a "viable" way to level depends on your definition.

Just for reference questing can get you to 50 in _hours_ (I think the record, worldwide, is ~14 hours of play time, but I know there are a couple of alpha players who did it fairly easily in 20-30), while crafting is _weeks_ (at a minimum).

I leveled my first 3 trees to 50 doing quests and then switched trees and did crafting/gathering. The early levels do go by fairly quickly when crafting, but because the exp gained is based on LP use (exp remains constant per LP) and the exp needed to level grow exponentially, those last (20) levels really slow down. In the last month I've spent every LP I got, and did some grinding questing, and my second set of trees are only level 36.

(And this doesn't take into account how quickly you can run out of LP and not have any more crafting available until you regenerate more.)

Possible, definitely, but like we both said, "viable" is subjective.

IronJawedAngel
04-21-2014, 03:06 AM
I have seen the relative exp from questing vs crafting, and I would have to agree with Simsu that it hardly seems viable at this point - at least if you're trying to race to the top. However, if you are someone who only has limited time to play and prefers the crafting play style over everything else then the exp is quite nice. Especially when considering that few mmorpgs (if any that I can think of) actually level you up as a result. Either way, it's nice to have! Better than nothing at all I suppose.

Himmli
04-21-2014, 04:42 AM
I was level 48 when I stopped questing, after like two weeks of spending my labour points I got to level 50. It is possible to level up just by crafting, but not really effective (on late levels). Before 40~ you can get a level each 5000 points. The experience gained from spending one LP depends on your level.

In the end you are forced to do some quests, just to be more effective.

Archaous
04-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Why can't people get that normal & patron versions have the same LP pool/regen/cost

Tarre
04-21-2014, 05:41 AM
It's extremely slower than questing since you will eventually have to wait for your LP to regen

madmaru
04-22-2014, 07:18 AM
No... the way it is designed, its working as intended. Crafting was not meant to be an alternative to leveling your character. While it can be done it will not be and should not be at the same experience ratio as doing quests or killing mobs.