PDA

View Full Version : AI Family?

Newbix
04-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure if it's in the making but all this grafting is available what about a family?
Maybe with players or just NPC. It would bring another mechanic to the game as you would
have to provide things for the family.
- Food
- Shelter
- Work
- Education

Or perhaps you don't want a family?
What about an NPC Bodyguard or adventurer to go along side you.
You might be weak in combat but your bodyguard might not be and can
give you edge. Costing you some coin on a daily measure.

Just some thoughts and ideas, they can all be equally elaborated upon.

Acolerd
04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
i do not agree with ai... maby an npc person... but i dont play many games where ai doesnt just get in the way.

IronJawedAngel
04-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Could be a cool idea, but would be tough to pull off right, chances are they might be tedious with all of the different types of terrain you travel on. Could interfere with the immersion. An interesting concept though!

Johnoni
04-20-2014, 11:50 PM
The family sounds like a silly idea. This isn't The Sims lol. It also presents some issues - Free players would not be able to use the features (since they cannot provide shelter), providing all of the necessities for AI will probably drive them away from the main aspects of the game, and it looks like it would be too many mechanics to add. Maybe the player family would be good in a Roleplaying server though. As for the body guard, the companion would be nice to have but I just don't see these features sitting in ArcheAge..

Zappygun
04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
AI Family? That's taking the waifu bullcrap to a whole new level. I'm not sure if I like the crowd that's going to attract o.o

As for the bodyguards: they already exist. And they're better than AI. They're players.

Hard
04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AI family = ''working for artificial intelligence''.

Zappygun
04-21-2014, 10:16 AM
AI family = ''working for artificial intelligence''.
All hail the robot overlords!

Skyn
04-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't think Family would be that great of an Idea .. Specially if they're gonna work for you .. I think it my ruins your role into the game about farming and gathering things .. but if they only stay in the house .. It might be something cool to add though !!

Nempt
04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Could be a cool idea, but would be tough to pull off right, chances are they might be tedious with all of the different types of terrain you travel on. Could interfere with the immersion. An interesting concept though!

I think this might be a cool idea if you simplify it; like no AI or AI that follows a set track giving it a smaller amount of leeway. IF not enough people are interested in this idea maybe you could talk about a different way to control an npc or to obtain an npc that relies on your resources. I like the RP capability, maybe hardcore pvpers would consider the idea if you through in another idea -- maybe being able to purchase npc body guards to defend your castle that respawn and cost a weekly upkeep payment.

Zappygun
04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I think this might be a cool idea if you simplify it; like no AI or AI that follows a set track giving it a smaller amount of leeway. IF not enough people are interested in this idea maybe you could talk about a different way to control an npc or to obtain an npc that relies on your resources. I like the RP capability, maybe hardcore pvpers would consider the idea if you through in another idea -- maybe being able to purchase npc body guards to defend your castle that respawn and cost a weekly upkeep payment.
Castle defense works in a different way. It can't just be attacked at any moment, once per week a certain item goes up for auction (for a LOT of money) that gives a guild permission to besiege a castle. There are already optional mercenary AIs involved there.

But no, I don't think it would be a good idea to go for AI or even NPC families. There's already a player family system in (they call it family, basically it's how you grant others permission to change your plot, also you can marry I think).
Bodyguards is quite a bad idea if you think about it - especially for RPers -, because those already exist in the form of player sellswords. It's a viable way of earning your money and you will ruin both the far more immersive RP than a dumb AI following you around, and the viability of the job; either the AIs are redundant because the players are cheaper, or there won't be any player sellswords because the AIs are cheaper.

Nempt
04-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info Zappygun, and maybe you're right - that idea would greatly affect RPers who would like to be hired as guards. i feel though that not all people who make houses will be able to find players to hire as guards and because thieving is an aspect of this game- it would be beneficial to be able to hire killable npc guards that have a long respawn time.

it's nice to have to choice- they obviously wont be as good as having a player as a guard since they're only mobs

Zappygun
04-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info Zappygun, and maybe you're right - that idea would greatly affect RPers who would like to be hired as guards. i feel though that not all people who make houses will be able to find players to hire as guards and because thieving is an aspect of this game- it would be beneficial to be able to hire killable npc guards that have a long respawn time.

it's nice to have to choice- they obviously wont be as good as having a player as a guard since they're only mobs
Well, generally theft isn't done much in the more highly populated areas because there's many more people around to report your crime. Too many witnesses, risk is too high for the reward to be any good. The places where the stealing is done the most is in the countryside, up in the mountains, etc. Basically all the hidden farms out in the middle of nowhere. Occasionally someone stumbles across one and steals some stuff from it, but the losses are generally not that high, plus the chances of being found are small as well.

NeonWhiteKnight
04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Dude... not gonna lie... that's kinda creepy. That's kinda the point where ♥♥♥♥ gets weird. Like "Her" weird. Some MMO's include a player marriage system yes, but a an AI or NPC specifically tailored to be your wife is some ♥♥♥♥ing Ray Bradbury ♥♥♥♥. nope nope nope nope nope soooooooooooooooo much nope. That crosses the line. That's the point were you to stop playing a game and go outside and make real friends. It's ♥♥♥♥ed up. That's just my opinion though.

Newbix
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Well then...
I was just looking for more ideas toward the game but for some people it looks like it's made me a bit of a weirdo.

Dude... not gonna lie... that's kinda creepy. That's kinda the point where ♥♥♥♥ gets weird. Like "Her" weird. Some MMO's include a player marriage system yes, but a an AI or NPC specifically tailored to be your wife is some ♥♥♥♥ing Ray Bradbury ♥♥♥♥. nope nope nope nope nope soooooooooooooooo much nope. That crosses the line. That's the point were you to stop playing a game and go outside and make real friends. It's ♥♥♥♥ed up. That's just my opinion though.

The idea arose to me when I was watching a livestreamer who wished there were more NPCs running around. It didn't seem like a dreadful idea to maybe add a family, worker, or sell sword NPC that you could acquire.
For the RPers it wouldn't ruin anything.. There's not "you have to have a NPC bodyguard." I'm sure someone who is RPing would prefer a real player over an NPC anyways. Having more NPCs around that could be talked to
for other than buying, selling, quests, etc...

Maybe my idea is just too over the top or wouldn't fit to some. But in my eyes it seems like not such a bad idea. You pay gold to have a killable NPC bodyguard or a killable farmer that tends to your crops costing you high some of gold.
You could be out on an adventure while your farmer(s) are working and all of a sudden an enemy player comes by and kills them off. Maybe that would make the game too easy... Just another idea. Either way keep picking it apart I'd like to see what other people think.

NeonWhiteKnight
04-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Well then...
I was just looking for more ideas toward the game but for some people it looks like it's made me a bit of a weirdo.

The idea arose to me when I was watching a livestreamer who wished there were more NPCs running around. It didn't seem like a dreadful idea to maybe add a family, worker, or sell sword NPC that you could acquire.
For the RPers it wouldn't ruin anything.. There's not "you have to have a NPC bodyguard." I'm sure someone who is RPing would prefer a real player over an NPC anyways. Having more NPCs around that could be talked to
for other than buying, selling, quests, etc...

Maybe my idea is just too over the top or wouldn't fit to some. But in my eyes it seems like not such a bad idea. You pay gold to have a killable NPC bodyguard or a killable farmer that tends to your crops costing you high some of gold.
You could be out on an adventure while your farmer(s) are working and all of a sudden an enemy player comes by and kills them off. Maybe that would make the game too easy... Just another idea. Either way keep picking it apart I'd like to see what other people think.

I should say that I do see the prospects of having NPC workers to make the game less taxing; however, I agree with what some others have said about hiring an actual players to do these things. Remember that a sandbox game is supposed to be as player driven as possible. If NPC workers were to be introduced, you would remove an entire aspect of the economy and opportunities for player driven questing, missions.

Pygar
04-22-2014, 01:23 AM
The family sounds like a silly idea. This isn't The Sims lol. It also presents some issues - Free players would not be able to use the features (since they cannot provide shelter), providing all of the necessities for AI will probably drive them away from the main aspects of the game, and it looks like it would be too many mechanics to add. Maybe the player family would be good in a Roleplaying server though. As for the body guard, the companion would be nice to have but I just don't see these features sitting in ArcheAge..

I like the idea of a family. I already have five other friends registered for Beta, we feel the idea of "Family" to be much like a small guild. Each person responsible for each other. Each watching the other's back. This seems to be to be a great idea for those who work better in small groups.