PDA

View Full Version : In Game Ethics

Airey
04-22-2014, 03:47 AM
Just had a thought, how ethical would it be to put up a bounty/hit on someone in game. where you would like pay someone from the other faction or a pirate(or someone in same faction not scare to get a bit dirty) a trade pack or something of value to hunt down like your neighbor cause he build to close to you or someone else for some reason or anouter.

It sort of falls in the same place as stream snipers where its not illegal but a dick thing. Is it something that would just be apart of the game or would it be so looked down upon that people would report it even though it doesn't break any rules?

madmaru
04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
The game is really open ended and I am sure if you ask enough in faction chat channel someone might tell you where a certain player is if they saw them and you gave them incentive to. And you could be trolled the same as be told the truth. Or setup by friends of the person you're looking for. Lots of possibilities.

Regarding ethics... do not trust anyone outside your guild if you have anything of value that can be taken. Your own faction will kill you just as quickly as the enemy faction to steal that tradepack off your back. And if you are in a larger guild be careful of setting permissions on your farm and house and storage chests, setting them to guild access can get things stolen from guild thieves.

prairiecat
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I guess you can always think of it as though even if it's a hired hit, someone will still be punished. It might not be the true culprit but at least some justice is served. I can't imagine that people will actually be willing to take the fall for others but I guess if you are paid a large enough amount, serving time isn't that bad.
Ethics in MMOs is always a grey area because there are tons of people all with different perspectives. One person could think that taking a chicken to feed a starving pet is perfectly fine. Another person could see that taking anything for any reason at all is wrong. It all depends on the people.

Monkey Overlord
04-22-2014, 01:13 PM
ArcheAge (I assume since I haven't played) will have a lot of facets to promote player crimes against other players. In any pvp faction game, you can put a "bounty" on someone's head. In this game, there are a lot more options with player made cities and factions. I believe there are opportunities to kill in faction as well, so you can put bounties on your own faction (something that other faction MMOs that I have played did not include).

Medo
04-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Damn bounty hunt that would be awesome

goldfax
04-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you could do that, but it wouldn't be very nice now would it :(, I am sure that people will report it if they know about it.

Ultima
04-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Speaking as a future pirate, I will accept your contract or anyone else's for that matter. No need for anyone to know either.

#PIRATELIFE

flavored
04-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, you could do that, but it wouldn't be very nice now would it :(, I am sure that people will report it if they know about it.

Report it where?

rodde
04-23-2014, 05:47 AM
would be wonderful if there was a bounty system

Zenjirr
04-23-2014, 07:13 AM
You can always make a website for hits. It does not need to be ingame, also why would u want to get someone else's hands dirty when you can turn on ur FLAG and PK ur god damn own faction, yes u will get crime points, but you can always decrease it by doing daily quests if you don't really want to turn into a pirate. You can also LEARN other faction languages, which lets you speak with them in-game xD instead of some gibberish text.

But AA promotes stealing.... its like you see one guy, and ur whole guild boards the AIRSHIP, he's like asking to be killed and his pack stolen... I mean who wouldn't do that? :D

Jordonics
04-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah I don't think you have to ask the forums to know it's not ethical, but it may create some interesting gameplay. If it's not a mechanic added by the game then it will without question be frowned upon if it happens, but maybe it's something for them to think about implementing!

Emphasition
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
In my opinion the PvP is so open for a reason. This type of thing will most likely happen and I think while it may be regarded as cheap or rapacious, I feel it is just the nature of the beast and should be embraced.