PDA

View Full Version : Melee vs. Caster

Lovebox
04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
I haven't played the game yet, but ive watched a bunch and on streams I mostly see casters. I'm curious if melee is good/bad for pvp and why and also how casting might be better/worse and why?

Trecks
04-22-2014, 07:35 PM
From what I have seen so far of the game ranged are far superior to melee solely based on the fact that well, they're ranged. If a melee can catch someone by surprise with a stun though they are as good as dead.

Lovebox
04-22-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm just looking for an in depth description from someone whos played the game. I would really like to be melee when I get to play, but would like to know the ins and outs ahead of time

xReorks
04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
The problem with melee is that you should survive an unavoidable first burst scenario.
Unless you can catch your opponent and strike the first hit.
If that doesn't happen you must consider to approach the fight with an heavy disadvantage that will most likely cause you a loss unless you've got way better gear and experience.

imho melee's are a viable choice in smaller fights,when there is no more than 5-6 players involved.
It would require to have a good healer in backup and knowing your defensive skills like damage reductions,resistances to crowd control and an averagely better gear to be effective.
The more it gets bigger,the lesser you'll kill since there's too much bursts and cc simply holding you from reaching a capable mage before he kills you.

In a larger fights melee shouldn't even be considered,lag spikes and latency won't let you hit anything sincerely.

iceman
04-23-2014, 04:05 AM
people play mostly casters cos they are too easy to play.
As a melee you got a lot more problems to avoid. You need to come close enough to attack, even if you manage to do that you cant let the caster to cc You. And game is too much cc dependent to easy stick on target.

Still melee champs are nice to play and usable in small skirmishes. In mass pvp when you are close enough to kill something usualy it meant that rest of your targers company is close enough to kill you in 1s. :>

rodde
04-23-2014, 05:38 AM
well the range of course is the biggest advantage. but as OP said, if you manage to close the gap, you can almost always win the fight

Zenjirr
04-23-2014, 06:24 AM
In a smaller scale fights with a good gear, seen melee wiping like 4-5 people easily.... because chop chop one person down, chop another one.. especially those cloth ppl xD

Lovebox
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
it all sounds pretty interesting! I'm up for a challenge :) I cant wait to test things out

rodde
04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
yep with my politician, i can sometimes chain kill 3-4 people without them understanding what happened. but don't get deluded, that's only because they are unprepared, surprised and WTFed from that sudden 17k the poor caster eats from behind.

ShovelBum
04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Im always a caster. Love me some magic LoL

rodde
04-23-2014, 08:47 AM
haha the one hit kill mage build is good too if you are good enough to combo^^

Jordonics
04-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Sounds like melee's need to be paired with ranged CC characters so they are able to jump on their opponent before kiting happens, is there any good melee PVP videos out there? Certainly not many streamers do PVP.

reighnman
04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
There are a lot of casters right now because they can throw in a healing tree and get healing bonuses from their +magic as it applies to both damage and healing. So typically they will take a healing tree and some instant cast heals which is pretty OP. Melee don't have much stats for it so healing as a melee is pretty nill.

With 1.0 they are splitting it up into +damage or +healing, so you won't get the stacked benefit as a caster (one or the other).

Shroud91
04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Mages have the advantage of range, moving around is required for pvp and most pve bosses to avoid aoe skills so the extra range and mobility is a plus. However A mage tank is totally viable and is what I plan to run.

Joesnuffy
04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Sounds like melee's need to be paired with ranged CC characters so they are able to jump on their opponent before kiting happens, is there any good melee PVP videos out there? Certainly not many streamers do PVP.
just take enough damage skills from melee and the rest in cc and resistance
something kinda like this
www.archeage-impact.de/index.php?site=talentplaner_eng&action=jumpIn&talents=011110011001100013111110010001110111100000 001001000