PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a player-driven bounty system

NeonWhiteKnight
04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
I had an idea for a implementation of a bounty system. My idea is basically a bounty board where anyone can open up a bounty on another player. The sponsor opens a bounty on a specific player and deposits the amount of gold they wish the assassin to receive for the kill, and may write description or memo about the job (this could describe why the sponsor wants the player dead, places the player frequents, the players level/gear/class, etc.). However, it doesn't stop there. After a bounty is opened, it is listed on the bounty board. From there one can view the bounty and its details OR they can further sponsor the bounty by depositing more money into the pool; This way, the longer the bounty is out and the more people the player pisses off, the bigger and more enticing the bounty will become. To collect a bounty, one simply kills the target who will, upon death, drop an item or voucher that can be exchanged at any bounty board for the bounty pool left by the sponsors. The twist is that if the assassin with the bounty voucher is killed, they drop the voucher which can then be picked up by any player. I would love to see some form of this system implemented into the game. Think auction house of death.

The only thing I haven't quite been able to figure out is incentive. Not for the hunter, but for the sponsor. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would pay gold to have someone killed. Currently when a player dies, they respawn at the closest statue and lose some labor points, and why someone would pay gold to have that happen to their target is beyond me. Maybe 20%of the depositted gold could go towards imprisoning the target; the bigger the bounty, the longer the target stays in jail. Something like 1 gold= 3 minutes (keeping in mind that only 20% of the gold goes towards this. 20% of 60 gold is 12, that's only 36 minutes).

This is of course just theorycrafting. There are probably many issues that I haven't even though of yet. So go ahead! Rip me to shreads! Discuss your ideas! I want to hear them.

Joraiem
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
If you wanted revenge and didn't want to go to jail for it you could do that. You could also do it if to steal something for you, rather than killing the player. idk, could be fun though.

sdren
04-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Player driven would suggest that the players maintain the system on their own. What you're actually suggesting would require the game developers to implement this as a feature (which is unlikely to say the least). It's a cool idea but you'll need to think a little more out-of-the-box and use the current state of the game to somehow propose and fulfill player bounties.

Ashenpants
04-23-2014, 03:49 PM
I agree with everything sdren has said, but this is a great idea I would love to see implemented by the community!

Exitarnium
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Seems like an VERY interesting idea! :D

Alakuu
04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Player driven would suggest that the players maintain the system on their own. What you're actually suggesting would require the game developers to implement this as a feature (which is unlikely to say the least). It's a cool idea but you'll need to think a little more out-of-the-box and use the current state of the game to somehow propose and fulfill player bounties.

Really depends on how its done. I'm throwing around the idea of a large guild effort blacklist of sorts to label spies, those that lie, and double crossing players.
If the idea gets enough backing from large enough guilds, and these guilds have strong crafting ties, there could be major repercussions to being listed.
It just comes down to making sure the system isn't exploited. Of which I'm having a difficult time working out.

NeonWhiteKnight
04-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Really depends on how its done. I'm throwing around the idea of a large guild effort blacklist of sorts to label spies, those that lie, and double crossing players.
If the idea gets enough backing from large enough guilds, and these guilds have strong crafting ties, there could be major repercussions to being listed.
It just comes down to making sure the system isn't exploited. Of which I'm having a difficult time working out.

I'm planning on setting up a guild when I get in. I would be more than happy to volunteer us to be a part of this system. If my guild gets big enough, you'll probably hear from me. Maybe we can do... business :cool:

Zidanic
04-23-2014, 09:12 PM
I wonder if the "printing" production class can write out contracts for people for bounties, or write out notes saying if this player is killed -I writer of this note- will pay you gold.

Or something

SharkBiscuit
04-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a really cool idea and seems fun but i feel like people would place bounties just to troll people..like the big streamers for example.

dej
04-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Sounds interesting though I agree with siren that the system would have to be implemented through developers and would result as an added feature. Though this could serve as relentless hate crimes as there may be users who simply want to see each other killed and spam the bounty boards. Though TBS also could be useful for getting rid of those who kill in their own faction. In reality couldn't you simply trade money with someone after your target is killed, that way it's still player based but feasible at the same time.

Greg the Mad
04-24-2014, 12:43 AM
It's a great idea, but I wonder how you would prevent misuse. Someone might just dislike a guy, and spam him full of assassination requests, basically bullying him. So you would need a limitation on whom you can put up a bounty, or how often (once a week?).

This would fit nice into the justice system though. Some one breaks out of jail, or is wanted for a crime, and so a bounty is put up for him. A player could then go and kill him (for half the bounty, or capture him with some sort of special binding rope item for for the full bounty.

Timonidas
10-10-2014, 05:31 PM
1. What stops player to lwt them selve be killed fromm friends and share the bounty?
2. What stops big groups of player to bully one, for what reason ever, by paying a lot of gold and sent him to prison for long time?

My opinion a better solution would be a bounty hunter license thing. For example high skilled pvp player who do NOT have any or many crime pojnts get acsess to a bountx hunter board, players who are currently wanted are listed there, with their crime points their infamy points and a list of what they did. Bounty hunters can then accept a hunt like a quest, a large quest target circle shows helps them to see were their target was like 3 minutes ago. And then he dtarts the hunt. That would be a fair and imo cool feature which canot be exploited.

Of coarse the amoumt of gold the hunter gets depends on the amoumt of infamypoints their target had.

Zanaria
10-10-2014, 05:45 PM
people used to put bounties on my on FlyFF, oh well - a friend killed me and we shared the money :3

love the system, i hope XLGames considers it :)