PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying in ArcheAge: Facts and Fiction

Maquiame
09-16-2014, 10:14 PM
1. This is a PVP game first and foremost. Before you do anything else consider what that means:
a. Zerg guilds and griefers will be on -every- single server. There is no place to run no place to hide. Knowing a guilds name like for example "The Oran'thul" and avoiding the server they are on does not guarantee safety. It just means that on Tahyang they know the name of the zerg guild, and the rest of the servers don't know the name of who will be the "Oran'thul" of the rp community on the other servers. Do not and I am serious do not listen to "sky is falling" tactics being used by those that are getting you to reconsider servers no matter what server there is. No server in a pvp game is safe. If you hate pvp that much you may want to consider playing one of the more safer themepark PVE mmos.

Bottom Line?: All servers where there is roleplay will have their griefers, trolls and zerg guilds. Running from one will just have you ending up running into another. ArcheAge is also a game about numbers, if safety is a concern then go where the numbers are. Higher numbers means more people to fight back, more people making weapons, more people making ships, more people providing supplies. More of a support network.

Why should you consider what I am saying? Because majority wins. If the roleplayers outnumber everyone else then guess what, the rpers win, period. Majority population controls servers in sandbox mmos period.

This scene exemplifies why going to a server with the largest rp population makes the most sense in a pvp mmorpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbWnJGlyMU

2. Diplomacy and Treaties matter

Think of playing Archeage as watching Game of Thrones, playing any Civilization or playing a game of Risk. Due to the nature of the game no kill treaties, trade treaties, defense treaties are all real things in ArcheAge. Guilds will team up with each other for war, trade and diplomacy in real time. ArcheAge is the type of game due to its features and level of freedom where -ALL- successful guilds in one way or another must roleplay in some manner. Its the one game where the rp guild that is also a real time in game mercenary guild can control things. No more are the days where pretend military events occur. Use this to your advantage roleplayers! Become what you say you're character is in real time and the world is yours. A successful guild that actively does what it say it does in real time controls things whether they are roleplayers or not. A strong trade guild that also specializes in weapons, armor and combat machinery has a lot of influence on the server period. Which means even the non rp guilds have to deal with you period if you do good work. Again use this to your advantage.

*Note : The Kingdom of Arisea an rp guild on Tahyang has already made a non aggression pact with The Orah'thul. Instead of cowering, running or shouting from the mountaintops that "The sky is falling and we are all doomed" they simply sent a negotiator over to speak to Nekrage and create a non aggression pact. Such pacts are NORMAL in ArchAge and happen all the time. By intelligent play and grasping opportunity they have turned a lemon into lemonade.

Use your noggins folk. Play smart, not scared.

3. RP is going to be spread out unfortunately on multiple servers for various reasons.

Here is a fact, rp is going to end up being all over the place. Players running (sadly) from boogieman guilds, players wanting to find empty land for their houses and farms and the like will end up having rp spread out. There is no need to get upset, just deal with it. Its going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it. Thing is make sure that you are going to a lesser known server for the right reasons. Going to a new server because you really want land, farms and a house? Makes absolute sense. Avoiding a server because of scare tactics and sky is falling everyone is doomed if you go there tactics by others in the community? Complete and utter nonsense. You aren't escaping anyone by running away in a pvp game. You are simply running to a new place with new (unknown) enemies to fight. Going to a different server because all of your friends are there? Makes total sense. Right now there are roleplayers spread across different servers who are in non roleplay oriented guilds, this simply is going to happen and -always- happens in mmorpgs. I'm sure you will find rp everywhere if you look hard enough.

Bottom line is wherever you end up make sure you are there for the right reasons. Running from a a server because certain guilds are there only to end up on a server where similar types of guilds are from the one you ran from is just plain stupid.

djragathol
09-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Nicely put, thx for the effort =)

My cent: Have patience, this game experience can only get better from now on.

Laana
09-17-2014, 04:53 AM
Good thread! However, I propose we megathread this with one dedicated to giving advice, explaining RP hubs, reliable guilds, etc. These things, naturally, will not come to be until the game is older. But this advice can be carried out for a longer period of time, I'm sure!

Rope
09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
It's way too early to know how the community will settle in. Tahyang is a good place to go, the official forum community voted it in by a huge margin and there are ample RPers there. I'm fairly certain that the other servers have ample RPers as well. I think we're all going to be fine.

Jei
09-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Me agreeing: As I believe it, Roleplay broken down is fundamentally imagination. Playing a role within surrounding lore and circumstance. Griefers are just voiceless/faceless bandits, brigands, criminals and psychopaths, in the middle of a very open land with little to no military patrol and influence. If this were all real, it be exactly the same. See it as bandits fighting to gain their territory against settlers in some regions. The way to curb that, is just to band together. Fight, and hold fast. Establish coordinated defense, and make sure it holds. In other words, RP here will have to have more substance in planning battle and trade rather then simple emoting and chatting. This is all been said yes, but I'm just breaking it down as I see it.

Again, I'm not trying to say what's already been said, but breaking it down. More people need to read threads like this. Less panic, more roleplay. Ignore anything the 'bandits' say, but pay attention to their actions, and counter. Just like you RP with the presence of NPC mobs, These kiddie-trolls are just more mobs to add to the mix. And I might add, not that much smarter.

Crimsonredwolf
09-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Awesome posts, I always find your post like these very well thought out and informative.

Toy Fuzion
09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
The only thing I disagree with is ArcheAge is -not- a PvP game, and tagging that has scared off lots of RPers and casuals. Yes, I know some say good riddance, but people who thrive on crafting, performing and socializing in general help keep the blood flowing of a social community, and it's those that are being chased away by the "You must belong to a guild and this is a PvP game" mentality. Sure, belonging to a guild enhances the social richness of the game, but a guild is not necessary at all - just like in any other game. A player has to determine how they want to play the game, then decide if, or what type of guild will fit their gaming / social needs best.

Quoting Jake Song on what ArcheAge is from a Massively interview:

"I know that some players like PvP and some don't. ArcheAge features a half-open PvP system. If a player kills another player of the same faction, he/she will get penalty points. If a player's penalty points (blood prints that appear after killing a player work as evidence of a crime which leads to penalty points) reach a certain level, he/she will be summoned to court, will receive a trial, and might be imprisoned. Though ArcheAge is half-open PvP, it is not the main fun feature.

Archeage is NOT a PvP game. It's a game that includes PvP elements.

A player does NOT have to join a guild in order to have fun and be part of the community, especially if they have no interest in PvP or trading overseas.

Carry on! :)

Andreah
09-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't worry either way whether it's labeled primarily pvp or not; but there is one feature that makes it potentially an enduring place for roleplay. The game organization for the guilds to compete with one another, both east vs west, and more complexly as guilds advance, become pirate guilds, or move out to the third continent sets up an overarching story-driver.

In most theme-park games, much of the roleplay ends up being fairly ordinary interpersonal roleplay, tavern roleplay, or soap-opera romances and so on, because it's hard to establish large scale in-game drama to drive it. Sometimes, there's developer drive large scale story, but since players generally can't affect it, it's like roleplaying against the weather. In a player-driven sandbox, what each character does at their own local level is affected by what's happening in the large, and in-turn can affect it back, then there's a common evolving backdrop and continuity to work with. New stuff will always be happening to stir the story pot.

This is true for non-roleplay servers too, of course; our challenge is to frame the big picture rivalries and alliances into a roleplay context.

Jagblade
09-19-2014, 03:24 AM
*Note : The Kingdom of Arisea an rp guild on Tahyang has already made a non aggression pact with The Orah'thul. Instead of cowering, running or shouting from the mountaintops that "The sky is falling and we are all doomed" they simply sent a negotiator over to speak to Nekrage and create a non aggression pact. Such pacts are NORMAL in ArchAge and happen all the time. By intelligent play and grasping opportunity they have turned a lemon into lemonade.

Is Kingdom of Arisea as western guild? If so they may want to watch their backs. In Nekrage's announcements on Sept 13th, he stated that there were and never would be a truce with a western guild.

Chlerys
09-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Is Kingdom of Arisea as western guild? If so they may want to watch their backs. In Nekrage's announcements on Sept 13th, he stated that there were and never would be a truce with a western guild.

There's West-Arisea and East-Arisea... We'll probably see how that goes, eh? ;P

Apriline
09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
*Note : The Kingdom of Arisea an rp guild on Tahyang has already made a non aggression pact with The Orah'thul. Instead of cowering, running or shouting from the mountaintops that "The sky is falling and we are all doomed" they simply sent a negotiator over to speak to Nekrage and create a non aggression pact. Such pacts are NORMAL in ArchAge and happen all the time. By intelligent play and grasping opportunity they have turned a lemon into lemonade. .

I wouldn't call a non-aggression pact with OT "intelligent play" pacts are important yes but it's also important to know when to stick up for your fellow players and say "No this doesn't fly here." OT hasn't been up to as -many- of their old tricks since Launch but their reputation is well deserved.