PDA

View Full Version : Why we fight.

Saathi
09-17-2014, 03:58 AM
I have been playing for a while and I am still not able to get why Eastern and Western Continent has to fight each other. I see more reasons in Firran History to quarrel with Harani people than anyone on the other continent, and the same goes for Elves and Nuian.

Would someone be kind enough to explain what I don't seem to understand in the intercontinental relationships ?

Roan
09-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Lore is very bare. it being an open sandbox you make your own reason.

Apriline
09-17-2014, 04:32 AM
Firrans are antagonists to the Harani this is true, the Firrans and Harani used to be enemies but long story short the Harani basically outbred them becoming the dominant race on the eastern continent Firrans pretty much either had to assimilate or be destroyed. The races existed even on the old continent but back then it was more of an all out race war every faction out for themselves but having to leave a collapsing Auroria and eking out an existance on a new hostile environment created fairweather friends between the Elves, Nuians, and Dwarves. Honestly the conflict now is just a rekindled spark of a very long conflict I doubt anyways even knows why they're still fighting anymore. (I just learned AA is based on a book series? I'll be ordering them soon to get some understanding this was just me trying to understand the lore given on the gamepedia page: http://archeage.gamepedia.com/Lore )

Saathi
09-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Thank you, Apriline. I am looking forward the book series in english. I am keeping my eyes peeled for every hint in the basic quests (they actually do give a lot of valuable daylife RP information), and I hope I will know a little more about the past story when I am higher leveled.

Roan : It is true, the lore is bare enough to let us make our own reasons, but the gameplay affects our choices in this matter : People from the other continent are marked in red and can be attacked on sight, making talking with them hard for no apparent reason so far. There must be an official reason. It doesn't matter if it makes no sense, I can start from there to know how my characters feels about the war.

Laana
09-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Why do I feel like you were referencing this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

Saathi
09-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Why do I feel like you were referencing this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

I really don't know, I was not referencing this :)

Vandal Savant
09-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Because West/East hates the East/West, and the West/East needs to defend themselves by hating East/West back.

That's about all I can garner from it. It has a very "primitive war" mentality, where both sides kill each other for the most base reasons of getting territory, defending their territory, and blood feuds made vague by time. Maybe both of them blames the other for what happened on Auroria.

I'm not sure anyone can give a non-speculative answer at this point.

Apriline
09-17-2014, 06:04 AM
Because West/East hates the East/West, and the West/East needs to defend themselves by hating East/West back.

That's about all I can garner from it. It has a very "primitive war" mentality, where both sides kill each other for the most base reasons of getting territory, defending their territory, and blood feuds made vague by time. Maybe both of them blames the other for what happened on Auroria.

I'm not sure anyone can give a non-speculative answer at this point.
It seems like they might have had valid reason at the start but the wars just been going on so long it's more of a "It's always been that way.". A strange but slightly appropriate example is think about the Fire Nation in Avatar: The Last Airbender when they actually went to the Fire Nation most civilians didn't care about the war and just figured they'd been at it for 100 years, why change?

Edit: I know it's still a speculative answer but with a budding roleplaying community the more info to work with the better right?

Vandal Savant
09-17-2014, 06:46 AM
As far as going for why to bother stopping a war; despite what Sun Tzu may say about prolonged warfare, large-scale war is very good for a country. Manufacturing booms the economy over several mediums. WW2 helped get America out of the Depression because of increased spending and a higher spread of wealth. Indeed, there may be a similar influx of wealth that keeps the West and East empires afloat.

Jormie
09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
This might give you some useful insight.
Worldview (http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1759290)

Rheios
09-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Because Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

Duthar
09-17-2014, 08:12 AM
The conflict began hundreds of years ago as a civil war.

Nearly 100 years had passed when the Nuian population expanded to the Crescent Bay, bringing about two claims for the crown between the Alleon family, based in Salzreed , and the Salrium family. As Alleon and Salrium forces crossed paths in the Crescent Bay, conflict arose, and the region of Shipjabal Plains was engulfed in what would come to be known as the Eclipse War. Suffering defeat in the Eclipse War, the royal family of Salrium fled to the continent of Haranya, and they called themselves Harani.

Saathi
09-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Much thanks for your answers, and the useful wiki pages et links !

Aldynan
09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
The lore seems both shallow and somewhat nonsensical to me. I think you may be better off using your own ideas than trying to pinpoint a logical cause of conflict. This is a game where you can shear geese, after all. ;)