PDA

View Full Version : Tahyang RP Community

Laana
09-17-2014, 05:35 AM
So, this is it. Our home, settled in yet? Probably not, it hasn't even been a day since the official launch yet. This thread is to be dedicated to information about what is going on in the Tahyang server. Post your guild sites/info on this thread if you wish it to be added to the list. This thread will obviously be edited to remove this silly introduction paragraph. Hopefully you will never see this thread so blank in the future.

Got anything you want added here? Seriously. Tell me.

-=TAHYANG RP=-

Tahyang RP Website Here (http://www.archeageroleplay.com/)

Popular Roleplay Hubs:

Guild Index::

New Player Tips::
http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.pngDon't be afraid of other players in the open. Unless you are in an area where they can get away with murdering you, they likely won't if there isn't anything to gain. Remember, roleplaying is about playing in character. Would your character be delving in a cave? Probably! Would he understand the risks? Most likely.

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Try to find a guild! Seriously. RP Guilds are the best way to build connections and develop your character ArcheAge.

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Learn to love the heavy immersion ArcheAge offers. You're going to seriously need to evaluate risk, if you don't want to get your character hurt in a roleplay. This can add to your storyline and make it more intricate and exciting than sitting around in a bar talking about the war like in many other MMO's.

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Don't be afraid to bust out the old lantern and walk down the path at night asking people questions in character. Go nuts, this game is so broad and so vast that there are many roleplaying opportunities that provide immersion, and gameplay joy.

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Do not fret being a leader. Try to be the one to open the roleplay, it provides more roleplay, and develops/creates more roleplayers, especially if you ask in popular chat channels for RP, and in the end it'll help you make more friends and find more roleplayers.

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Don't fall into typical roleplayer "We are an Island and exist in our little corner" tactics. This game is just as much political than anything and probably the most political mmo most of our community will ever play period. -Maquiame

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png Guild leaders lets start communicating with each other and start those alliances, pacts and trade agreements immediately. -Maquiame

http://i.imgur.com/6oyY3IG.png And remember even if disagreements happen we should all approach with the mindset of "Its okay when family fights with family, but when someone outside of the family messes with family we all jump in" -Maquiame

Maquiame
09-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Add the emphasis on guilds making trade agreements, mercenary contracts, defense agreements and the like. All the rp guilds on the server need to do this and we need to stick together no matter what, disagreements will happen you aren't going to like everyone but unity is what will win at the end of the day. We are all roleplayers and without a unified front and pacts we will all fail in the long run. The name of the game in ArcheAge is treaties and EVERYONE else will be doing this around you.

Don't fall into typical roleplayer "We are an Island and exist in our little corner" tactics. This game is just as much political than anything and probably the most political mmo most of our community will ever play period.

Guild leaders lets start communicating with each other and start those alliances, pacts and trade agreements immediately.

And remember even if disagreements happen we should all approach with the mindset of "Its okay when family fights with family, but when someone outside of the family messes with family we all jump in"

Laana
09-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Added your tips to it. c:

Hyperax
09-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Great that I joined the RP server. I do a lot of RP out of game just with friends and I'm looking forward to doing some in game. Is there a place to easily find RP guilds?

As for things to add... Probably just gonna go with general RP tips for new RPers.

1) Know your character! Sometimes it helps to figure out a character's personality by just RPing as them, other times it helps to come up with it before hand.

2) You can't always win. No one does. Don't get mad over losing, no character wins 100% of the time.

3) Also, characters aren't perfect! Don't expect to make a character that is perfect in every way, that just tends to get on peoples nerves.

Kagec020
09-18-2014, 01:44 AM
Hello, welcome to Tahyang. My name is Kage, I look forward to seeing you all role playing and writing. If you see me in game please do not hesitate to ask me, or any of my guild, for help. We are Sanguineous. We have been around for some time in the rp community. We started in Ultima Online and have continued through many games. Including: Wow, Ao, Aion, tera, eq2, landmark, guild wars, and now this one. You do not have to be part of Sanguineous for us to help you. We are all a friendly bunch. If you are curious about the guild, please send me an in game mail and I will set up a time and place to answer your questions. We are a heavy Pvp/heavy rp, moderate everything else, guild. We do not believe in gang banging, drama, immaturity, or harassment of any kind. Trolls and anyone under the age of eighteen need not apply. The reason for the age limit is due to the graphic nature of Sanguineous. As I am a parent myself I would not feel comfortable with my children joining this guild. Thank you. :D

Valadeus
09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm currently in an RP guild called Obsidia, but I may consider starting my own RP guild or finding a home within a new one. The only things I would like to add presently are a few tips:

1). There is no winning in RP. RP is essentially group story telling. There's a measure of trust that goes on between players in that each player will pursue their own character's goals and agendas but they respect each other enough to not "god mode" or "grief" (being invincible, infallible or speaking for other character or NPCs (god-mode) or harassing other players (griefing).

2). There is winning in RP-PvP but even losing is part of the story. A lesson I learned a long time ago was that if you view everything that happens in RP as a grand, community-based, multi-perspective story in which your character is involved, it makes the challenges and failures enjoyable because they add to the story and help the character grow. Instead of getting frustrated or discouraged by setbacks and failures, view them as elements making up a better story.

3). Intentionally give your character flaws and weaknesses. This is possibly one of the hardest things for new (and even experienced) RPers to understand, but it's huge! Some of the best and most memorable characters in the stories and games we love have flaws! In fact, it is often times more fun to RP a character's flaws and weaknesses because they give that character's accomplishments and strengths more meaning.

4). Remember that the other character is played by a human too. The golden rule of RP. Remember that, no matter how heinous, villainous, virtuous, repulsive, egotistical, irritating or other adjectives, a character is - that character is played by a human just like you. Be considerate of the player even if you're not considerate of their character. (If you're out to assassinate so-and-so's character, just remember to talk with that player afterward (if you want it to be a surprise) and keep it light and fun.)

Just some tips that I've learned that have helped me over the years with RP. The only thing I'd add is not to be afraid to start - we all started somewhere and new RPers bring new life, new ideas and new styles to the community that help both the old and the new grow and develop.

Hyperax
09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Well said, and I couldn't agree more Valadeus.

Chimiboy
09-19-2014, 12:37 AM
I thought it might be fun to have some sort of Roleplay in the starting area's... I haven't seen anything and it's a bother to go into the game wanting to roleplay and everyone just running around not roleplaying at all. Is this just something to get through or something that we might be able to fix? Have some extra player based quests of sorts for the players who'd like to roleplay immediatly? I'd love to volunteer for such a thing if I'd finally be able to join a guild. This would allow new Guildies to immediatly get immersed as well as the guild immediatly being able to meet up and get roleplaying. Any ideas on this?

Laana
09-19-2014, 03:28 AM
I thought it might be fun to have some sort of Roleplay in the starting area's... I haven't seen anything and it's a bother to go into the game wanting to roleplay and everyone just running around not roleplaying at all. Is this just something to get through or something that we might be able to fix? Have some extra player based quests of sorts for the players who'd like to roleplay immediatly? I'd love to volunteer for such a thing if I'd finally be able to join a guild. This would allow new Guildies to immediatly get immersed as well as the guild immediatly being able to meet up and get roleplaying. Any ideas on this?
Everyone is a bit busy leveling right now still. Give ArcheAge's launch time to cool down and move on, then i'm positive you'll see an abundance of RP.

Peregry
09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
3). Intentionally give your character flaws and weaknesses. This is possibly one of the hardest things for new (and even experienced) RPers to understand, but it's huge! Some of the best and most memorable characters in the stories and games we love have flaws! In fact, it is often times more fun to RP a character's flaws and weaknesses because they give that character's accomplishments and strengths more meaning.

To expound on this: Flaws are important, flaws are critical to achieve character growth. But flaws should ALSO be subtle, they shouldn't define a character but merely be a part of the character.

A character who has, say, "anger issues" shouldn't necessarily be growling and flying off the handle all the time. They CAN, but anger issues can also be more subtle, triggered by certain things rather than a general idea.

Flaws do not need to be immediately obvious to folks. If you meet a character and they come off as having no flaws, don't assume they have none and are thereby "bad RPers", the best flaws are the ones that are subtly woven into a character as part of the whole, rather than those that are in your face annoyances.

Frruke
09-19-2014, 08:35 AM
My advice is this, if you sit and wait for RP to happen you will rarely ever see it, let alone be a part of it. Almost all of the RP I've been a part of in AA has been either over guild chat or in group/raid chat. There is a very simple soloution to this issue for everyone, and the words come from the great Garry Gygax.

Be Spontaneous, Go around a town and pick out a few people who are active (not the >80% that are AFK-ing for LP) and interact with them, be outgoing, offer your services as a bodyguard or some such. Ask for anyone free for some RP in faction chat or in /say. Roll your sleeves up and make it happen. Being in a RP guild can help (unless everyone is AFK-ing for LP or secretly waiting for someone -else- to be spontaneous), but if you are willing to make rp happen around you then you should find no shortage. Being spontaneous by turning mundane trade runs into critical supply runs where the trade packs you are carrying are critical to something is just an example, you are limited only by the limits you set, and if you sit around waiting for someone to spoon feed you rp...

mattfire
09-20-2014, 02:27 AM
I'm currently in an RP guild called Obsidia, but I may consider starting my own RP guild or finding a home within a new one. The only things I would like to add presently are a few tips:

1). There is no winning in RP. RP is essentially group story telling. There's a measure of trust that goes on between players in that each player will pursue their own character's goals and agendas but they respect each other enough to not "god mode" or "grief" (being invincible, infallible or speaking for other character or NPCs (god-mode) or harassing other players (griefing).

2). There is winning in RP-PvP but even losing is part of the story. A lesson I learned a long time ago was that if you view everything that happens in RP as a grand, community-based, multi-perspective story in which your character is involved, it makes the challenges and failures enjoyable because they add to the story and help the character grow. Instead of getting frustrated or discouraged by setbacks and failures, view them as elements making up a better story.

4). Remember that the other character is played by a human too. The golden rule of RP. Remember that, no matter how heinous, villainous, virtuous, repulsive, egotistical, irritating or other adjectives, a character is - that character is played by a human just like you. Be considerate of the player even if you're not considerate of their character. (If you're out to assassinate so-and-so's character, just remember to talk with that player afterward (if you want it to be a surprise) and keep it light and fun.)

Just some tips that I've learned that have helped me over the years with RP. The only thing I'd add is not to be afraid to start - we all started somewhere and new RPers bring new life, new ideas and new styles to the community that help both the old and the new grow and develop.

These are some damn fine tips :D

I don't suppose any of you fine fellows would like to make a general thread for roleplay tips and advice?

Valadeus
09-20-2014, 05:27 AM
To expound on this: Flaws are important, flaws are critical to achieve character growth. But flaws should ALSO be subtle, they shouldn't define a character but merely be a part of the character.

A character who has, say, "anger issues" shouldn't necessarily be growling and flying off the handle all the time. They CAN, but anger issues can also be more subtle, triggered by certain things rather than a general idea.

Flaws do not need to be immediately obvious to folks. If you meet a character and they come off as having no flaws, don't assume they have none and are thereby "bad RPers", the best flaws are the ones that are subtly woven into a character as part of the whole, rather than those that are in your face annoyances.

Good exposition. :)

Hirix
09-20-2014, 07:49 AM
I enjoy that I have already been told to leave ArcheAge, have received death threats to me and my family, and have been called cancer to the whole gaming world just for roleplaying. Yeah, great server community so far and it makes me giggle :D

Valadeus
09-20-2014, 08:11 AM
I enjoy that I have already been told to leave ArcheAge, have received death threats to me and my family, and have been called cancer to the whole gaming world just for roleplaying. Yeah, great server community so far and it makes me giggle :D

...eh? Sorry to hear that. Ignore such comments.

Cayleh
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Server seems to be finally settling down and the trolls are quieter, today at least, from my experience in the West. The ones that do try to say negative stuff get over-talked or spanked and then are quiet. The server seems to be getting back that open beta happy friendly open community vibe. Good to see, was rough there for a couple days.

Elrodeus
09-20-2014, 10:35 AM

That's some people angry that they accidentally rolled on the RP server. Something that could have been avoided if Trion would have given us an official RP server. /Sigh

Anyway, what's done is done. We'll just have to get over the trolls and move on.