PDA

View Full Version : does archeage's lore need a reboot?

krimson
09-17-2014, 03:29 PM
been playing awhile since june but i feel the story is just a little bit everywhere to be honest

Laana
09-17-2014, 09:02 PM
The game hasn't existed long, nobody is in a position to say whether or not it needs to be rebooted yet. give it time. I know it's been out in asia for a while, but I'm sure short stories, maybe even possible novels will happen if the game is successful enough.

Jagblade
09-18-2014, 12:35 AM
If I can be completely honest this is the first MMO I've ever gone into in which the lore bored me to tears and left me not caring about it at all.

If I have to hear the names "Lucius" or "Nui" one more time...

But really, from what I can tell, a group of people went to a place, got some magical powers, and had some in fighting. One of them decided to wage war and destroy Auroria and the rest of the world because reasons and Nui saved everyone by opening a portal to the other lands and this killed her. Now the surviving races hate each other and fight because reasons and that's the story.

This is probably a gross over-generalization but it feels like absolutely nothing has been fleshed out and that there really isn't much of a reason for the current conflicts to exist other than that XL games needed something to drive the story. It seems like they saw the success of Aion and thought that two sides who hate each other and fight in a pointless, fruitless war would be easy to romanticize and sell itself.

I'm aware there are books as well, but I'm not much of a reader. I'm not about to crack open the novels to learn about the game.

Raphayel
09-18-2014, 01:13 AM
The "lore"? Does this game even have a lore more than some guys had to flee because there was some kind of war?

Imho, ArcheAge lore is flat and boring. I don't even know if it's worth talking about lore here.

Uilliam
09-18-2014, 01:52 AM
i honestly couldn't bring myself to pay attention to the story past lvl 15 and i normaly read EVERYTHING...

Vistix
09-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Here's a tip, if you're gonna make a poll, don't make the choices be questions. They should be definitive statements. It makes you look passive-aggressive and indecisive.

Also, terrible thread, the game should not rely on the lore period. It's partially a sandbox game which means you make up your own stories and adventures that are better and more interesting than anything the developers can write.

Khosrau
09-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Also, terrible thread, the game should not rely on the lore period. It's partially a sandbox game which means you make up your own stories and adventures that are better and more interesting than anything the developers can write.

Well, I think lore is kind of important to flesh out characters for roleplay, at least that's how I'm used to doing it.

Apriline
09-18-2014, 07:09 AM
ArcheAge has lore in the form of books by Jeon Min-hee (They're in korean and I don't know if they're available in english though) but as for Lore being needed to flesh out characters more recent history can be found out about in quests but it's important to know Nuia and Haranya are very much frontiers with some exceptions (Nuia is heavily invested in Nui worship almost to theocratic levels and while Marianople is what one might consider the main city of Nuia it's very much a city state culture and most zones within each continent are so autonomous they're almost independent nations.

Jagblade
09-19-2014, 01:28 AM
It's games like this that make me miss City of Heroes. You were given a setting and that's all. You made your own lore (apart from what happened in the city) because you could literally be anyone and anything. I've always preferred that absolute free-form RP setting to one governed by strict lore and rules from said lore.

Take GW2 for example. Mages can only ever learn one type of magic and they can never ever learn a different school, even if they give up the one they know, because we said so. One of my friends eventually left the game because despite the large world and community, it was just so restrictive on what you could do in that world. I'd recommend Archeage be left as open ended as possible.