PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO YEW ROLEPLAY ? I dun know hows :c

Splat
09-18-2014, 07:03 PM
the last time i roleplayed i was 10 and playing habbohotel ... i tried going back to it once but got banned for attempting a combat orientated RP and then just stopped all together

so i forget how one roleplays

DecoLamb
09-19-2014, 02:01 PM
http://www.archeageroleplay.com/
This should help you get the information you need more readily.

mattfire
09-20-2014, 02:13 AM
the last time i roleplayed i was 10 and playing habbohotel ... i tried going back to it once but got banned for attempting a combat orientated RP and then just stopped all together

so i forget how one roleplays

Many people roleplay without realising it. For example keep your eye on trial chat in game and you'll notice them going down recurring themes and playing the part of judges well which is in itself a form of roleplay within the game.

Explaining how roleplay works is something that can seem overly complicated and take far too much time! I might write a general introduction for this site at a later date but for now I hope you don't mind a brief overview :D

The first thing to know regarding roleplay is what In Character (IC) and Out Of Character (OOC) mean. Examples of OOC behaviour are levelling, farming, mining, pvp and general game behaviour. In these situations you are not playing as a character but playing the game at it's base level. Examples of being IC are usually only found near other roleplayers and in these cases you act as if you are your character in general chat. For example my characher encounters let's say Joe Blogs. He says "Lovely evening we're having" to me in /say chat. I respond "Isn't it just. I'm Delrendis by the way. What's your name stranger?" and that is me roleplaying the role of my character in this case Delrendis (which is my actual character btw!). Roleplay is all about immersing yourself in the game universe as a character and is very much akin to writing a story. You look into the worlds history and construct a suitable character within the games setting. You then give it a backstory and personality then with other roleplayers develop an evolving story around each others characters. This is the most basic form of social roleplay. You're simply pretending you are a game character :D

Many roleplay guilds are sometimes unwilling to take on and train from scratch normal players. However in my experience 50% of players exceed all possible expectations within a short time frame and blossom into fantastic additions to the community. My advice would be to check out the roleplay community forums for whichever server you're on and ask around for advice.

The unofficial roleplay servers are:

EU: Dahuta.
NA: Tahyang.

Their respective communities are http://www.archeageroleplay.com/ for Tahyang though this also covers some EU aspects for Dahuta and http://archeageroleplayeu.enjin.com/home which is specifically Dahuta based.

If you're not on either of these servers there are a few examples of roleplayers on other servers on both NA and EU and I'm sure if you manage to get in touch and have a genuine desire to roleplay they can help you further :D

Splat
09-20-2014, 02:56 AM
im on tahyang

i joined a pvp guild even though they dont seem it then again i havent seen them in combat due to main members being high levels and friends in real life and im just a random that got invited in closed beta and not very good at leveling up im getting there but not fast

Valadeus
09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
First, welcome to the RP scene! :D

Second, don't worry about level speed. I personally go slower than most because I enjoy the leveling process and tend to do things like craft, walk around idly, explore and RP.

Third, "how do you roleplay" is a very loaded question. The easiest (and most important) answer in my opinion is this: courteously. Create a character (be sure to give them flaws and personality quirks), pursue their goals but always be mindful of the other players. Remember you're part of a large story and just let it flow from there. Don't be afraid to let your character adapt and change (change is normal, even people change in real life) as your understanding of the game, its people, its lore and the events surrounding your character grow.

Phantom The Aspect
09-20-2014, 03:24 PM
You become your character in their world. You see things from their perspective, you speak how they would, you think like they would. There are different levels of RPing, as well. The first step is to simply find a personality you like taking on. Add in some details to create a fully fleshed out character, with a little bit of a backstory to answer any questions that might be asked like "Where are you from?". The key here is to know where to start. I've seen a lot of people who either got too big or too small. Either being a commoner, or declaring themselves king. That's a huge mistake. You're an adventurer, you're above average, but you're still fresh. It's up to you to earn a name for yourself, through your IC actions and deeds. Work to build the reputation of what you'd like to become, but don't just become what you want to be and expect a reputation to follow. The general rule of thumbs is to show, don't tell. You're a battle hardened warrior? Prove it. You're a dignified noble? Prove it. You're a sneaky pickpocket? Prove it.

Another important part of RPing is emoting. This is a pretty delicate situation, in itself. You want to descriptive with at you're doing, but you don't want to add too much information. This is something that isn't really for your own benefit, but for the benefit of others. *laughs hysterically at the guy who slipped on the banana peel* is good. *thinks about how much they love french fires* isn't, because no one aside from your character would be able to know what your character is thinking. It goes back to the "show, don't tell" rule. You show what your character is doing, but don't tell people why they're doing it. You want to detail the actions as much as possible, so that they have a clear idea of precisely what's happening. Basically, it comes down to the 5 senses. Sight, Hearing, Touch, Smell, and Taste. What other characters can see and hear will be the bulk of the your emotes, and it's important to paint a clear image for them. Touch, Taste, and Smell are used as well, though are less common.

Those are the basic levels. Once you've gotten comfortable with that, it's time to move on to blending your character into the game itself. Learning how your character sheet factors in ICly, instead of either OOCly or dismissing it outright. "That dude is level 50" obviously OOC. "That guy is extremely well trained" is an IC way to say pretty much the same thing. Your stats and levels are just numerical values placed on individual aspects of real things. Most are pretty straight forward. Strength is a measure of their muscles, agility is how nimble they are, etc. Levels are how well trained they are to use their abilities. Someone can be very strong, but not have a clue how to actually fight. Someone can be very agile, but still a novice when it comes to gymnastics. Skills are just different methods learned throughout the training process. Think of it like different belts in karate. When you start off, you're a white belt. When you're max level, you're a 10th degree blackbelt. Gear goes through a similar progression. Obviously, enchanted plate mail made out of an extremely durable metal is going to be a lot more protective than some salvaged scrap iron pounded into shape and strapped to your chest. When you first generate your character, ICly he's untrained and wearing whatever crap he could gather with the meager amount of money he had to his name, but with a ton of potential for growth. As you level up, you're realizing that potential, and are gaining access to better tools of the trade.

During that whole process, you're going to need the most important part of all RP, other people to RP with. Cities, and specifically taverns, tend to be where tons of RPers congregate. From what I've heard, Marianople is currently the hot spot. If you're new to RPing, I highly recommend heading in to check it out. Even if you're not ready to jump in yet, you'll learn a great deal just by sitting in there and watching how it all goes. You'll learn who's who, how the flow generally goes, and get a good understanding on the basics. You probably won't have any major plotlines being played out, so it'll be a low pressure situation. Someone might even come up and say hi to you, then you can let them know you're new to RPing and get your feet wet a bit. Believe me when I say that the vast majority of RPers are extremely friendly to people just starting out, and will be glad to help with any questions you might have.

Once you've gotten comfortable with all that, then you can worry about plotlines. This is closer to how tabletop RPing works. "We have a mission, and need to take care of it" In this game, there...... really is just an abundance of possibilities for what said mission could be. Anything from going to a dungeon to simply running a tradepack without getting killed. Depending on the group you're with, failure can even be more enjoyable than success.

All of that being said, there are some pitfalls you'll want to avoid. The three big ones are Metagaming, Godmodding, and Blending. Metagaming is using knowledge that you as a player might have but your character wouldn't have. Godmodding is attempting to control anything outside of your character's own actions. Blending is mixing IC and OOC. They all tend to result in a lot of OOC headaches, and IC disasters. It's best to be too cautious than to risk letting any of it happen. There's also "playing make believe" which.... tends to cause a lot of problems in its own right. For example "I saw you kill a guard yesterday, so I'm putting a bounty on your head" when the character in question never actually did that will just annoy the other person. and won't have the desired effect of starting a plotline. The easiest way to go is to treat everything like you would if it were happening in real life. Only things that actually happened...well, happened. Filling in imaginary details because it sounds better than what actually happened is very BAD RP practice, and can lead to some pretty severe OOC drama. Think of it like a tabloid newspaper making up a story about a celebrity, and then getting sued into bankruptcy.

And above all, if you're not sure about something, or before you do something that will affect someone else's character, ASK. Always ask. Always always always always ask. If they're not willing to go along with the idea, it's better to come up with a different idea. If they are, then they'll be willing to collaborate to plan something that's better than what one side or the other can do individually.