PDA

View Full Version : Roleplayers, you really need to be more visible!

Mareus Durante
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Greetings everyone!

This will be a bit of a rant, but please bear with me and please respond, because I am really curious what you think about this.

I created a character on Dahuta server, since I heard this is the unofficial RP server for EU. I am two days into the game, currently at L15 and I have still not encountered any roleplayers. Not that this is strange for MMOs, but I am really wondering why are you guys not out there making it clear to everyone that you are a roleplayer? And with that I do not mean creating a huge label above your head that says roleplayer. I am talking about being in the character so that other roleplayers can pick on the small signs and join in naturally. Personally I always roleplay, even when dealing with people who have no interest in it. Despite what some of you might say, most people really respond positive to it (if they actually respond).

Furthermore, is there any place that you guys gather? It would be awesome to have one town selected just for us roleplayers. That way we can know where to go and relax after doing some adventuring. ArcheAge offers a ton of possibilities for roleplayers and it saddens me to see the community not responding to it or shying away from it. I played ton of MMOs, and I was really disappointed with roleplaying in most of them, even when companies made it clear that there will be servers reserved for roleplaying. For example Rift had one of the worst roleplaying communities I have ever seen, despite the game even starting out with an official RP server. In Rift's RP community the order of the day was to actively discourage people from roleplaying in the game naturally and instead went on with forcing roleplayers to go through website applications and similar nonsense. I mean WTF?! What happened to just walking into an inn and meeting people in person and building a story naturally as you progress? Why does everything have to be scripted and artificial?

Anyway, I understand some of you people want to avoid being trolled by idiots, and are instead trying to keep roleplaying private to a few like-minded people, but by doing that you are actively killing the roleplaying. This mindset really needs to change, because I assure you that you are not doing yourself a service. This may surprise you, but Tera online has one of the most amazing and vibrant roleplaying communities I have ever experienced, even though the game is just a mindless hack&slash with 0 support for roleplaying within the game. So, if people can roleplay there without any major disturbances in a game that is built for mindless hack&slash crowd, then why do you think this is not possible in games like Rift and ArcheAge that were designed with roleplaying in mind?

Since ArcheAge is published by Trion, I do expect to see many roleplayers coming to ArcheAge from Rift, so I seriously hope you guys open up a bit and try to make roleplaying a less exclusive experience. By roleplaying live so that everyone can see it, you will draw more like-minded or curious people and the community will grow. By keeping it exclusive and scripted you will eventually reduce the community to just a few people. For example, I am very discouraged by lack of roleplaying and am already thinking about moving on, despite really enjoying the game overall. Seriously guys, you need to be more visible!

Maquiame
09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
The game just started, everyone is leveling. Unlike your typical themepark mmo resource gathering, crafting and the like means alot here so everyone is running and chomping to get that stuff done.

Mareus Durante
09-19-2014, 01:17 PM
The game just started, everyone is leveling. Unlike your typical themepark mmo resource gathering, crafting and the like means alot here so everyone is running and chomping to get that stuff done.
I understand that, but with a mechanic like labor points one would expect that roleplayers would be motivated to take it slow and perhaps go to some RP gathering point where they can roleplay until their labor points get recharged. I never understood the mentality of needing to level up and get things done before you could devote yourself to roleplaying.

Nunchi
09-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Greetings everyone!

This will be a bit of a rant, but please bear with me and please respond, because I am really curious what you think about this.

I created a character on Dahuta server, since I heard this is the unofficial RP server for EU. I am two days into the game, currently at L15 and I have still not encountered any roleplayers. Not that this is strange for MMOs, but I am really wondering why are you guys not out there making it clear to everyone that you are a roleplayer? And with that I do not mean creating a huge label above your head that says roleplayer. I am talking about being in the character so that other roleplayers can pick on the small signs and join in naturally. Personally I always roleplay, even when dealing with people who have no interest in it. Despite what some of you might say, most people really respond positive to it (if they actually respond).

Furthermore, is there any place that you guys gather? It would be awesome to have one town selected just for us roleplayers. That way we can know where to go and relax after doing some adventuring. ArcheAge offers a ton of possibilities for roleplayers and it saddens me to see the community not responding to it or shying away from it. I played ton of MMOs, and I was really disappointed with roleplaying in most of them, even when companies made it clear that there will be servers reserved for roleplaying. For example Rift had one of the worst roleplaying communities I have ever seen, despite the game even starting out with an official RP server. In Rift's RP community the order of the day was to actively discourage people from roleplaying in the game naturally and instead went on with forcing roleplayers to go through website applications and similar nonsense. I mean WTF?! What happened to just walking into an inn and meeting people in person and building a story naturally as you progress? Why does everything have to be scripted and artificial?

Anyway, I understand some of you people want to avoid being trolled by idiots, and are instead trying to keep roleplaying private to a few like-minded people, but by doing that you are actively killing the roleplaying. This mindset really needs to change, because I assure you that you are not doing yourself a service. This may surprise you, but Tera online has one of the most amazing and vibrant roleplaying communities I have ever experienced, even though the game is just a mindless hack&slash with 0 support for roleplaying within the game. So, if people can roleplay there without any major disturbances in a game that is built for mindless hack&slash crowd, then why do you think this is not possible in games like Rift and ArcheAge that were designed with roleplaying in mind?

Since ArcheAge is published by Trion, I do expect to see many roleplayers coming to ArcheAge from Rift, so I seriously hope you guys open up a bit and try to make roleplaying a less exclusive experience. By roleplaying live so that everyone can see it, you will draw more like-minded or curious people and the community will grow. By keeping it exclusive and scripted you will eventually reduce the community to just a few people. For example, I am very discouraged by lack of roleplaying and am already thinking about moving on, despite really enjoying the game overall. Seriously guys, you need to be more visible!
yes i agree we should make every rper wear a star of david

Telonos
09-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I understand what you're getting at (I think), but my thoughts on RP have always been that there is no "one size fits all". Your version of what constitutes fun RP might not be the same as mine. Mine might include guild-based, group-based RP that isn't open. That's a preference, it isn't "bad" or "good". At any rate, this may not be your intent but the impression I got from your post is that you seem to want others to share in your RP vision and just do what you do. But you can't force it. The best way to get what you're looking for is to be an example to others. Behave IC with everyone, even if they are not throwing up the obvious "I'M A ROLEPLAYER" signs. Some will ignore you, some will respond OOC, but at least you're providing an example for others who might be interested in getting on-board with your style.

If that never yields any results you might just need to re-evaluate your approach, or be more pro-active in setting up events and such yourself. I dunno, just my 2 cents.

DecoLamb
09-19-2014, 01:58 PM
http://www.archeageroleplay.com/

This might help you find people to roleplay with as well as guilds that might fit your style of roleplay.

Mareus Durante
09-19-2014, 02:28 PM
I understand what you're getting at (I think), but my thoughts on RP have always been that there is no "one size fits all". Your version of what constitutes fun RP might not be the same as mine. Mine might include guild-based, group-based RP that isn't open. That's a preference, it isn't "bad" or "good". At any rate, this may not be your intent but the impression I got from your post is that you seem to want others to share in your RP vision and just do what you do. But you can't force it.
Sure, an argument can be made that it is a personal preference, and believe me that I am not trying to force anyone to do anything against their will. All I am trying to do is opening a discussion about how our personal preferences affect the world, which is (whether you want to admit or not), an integral and very important part of the overall roleplaying experience.

With that being said, here are some points to think about.
1. Does roleplaying live prevent you from having guild-based roleplaying sessions? True, you might prefer guild based RP where you are roleplaying with experienced and selectively chosen guild members with years of experience instead of RPing noobs, but I still don't see a reason why one should exclude the other.

2. Does roleplaying live improve the way we perceive the world? I think everyone would agree that a world where people roleplay live (even in small numbers) is far more believable then a world where people just run mindlessly after the next quest.

3. Given 2, does having a more believable world contribute to the overall roleplaying experience? I think this is self obvious.

4. "But I personally don't enjoy dealing with noobs who don't know the rules". I understand that, but everyone was new at roleplaying at some point. Chances are you would never get into roleplaying in the first place if people back in the old times were so secluded and exclusive. Think about how your personal preferences affect the whole world.

I am not telling anyone to do something they don't enjoy. But at least think about the consequences of your choice how to roleplay.

Crimsonredwolf
09-19-2014, 04:07 PM

The only reason you aren't seeing RP is right here.
Even when GW2 did the mega server crap I still RP out in the open but it did cut down on seeing alot of open world RP. Before that there was tons of RP all over Tarnish Coast. And I believe that it will be the same way here.

Give the server time to settle down, give people time to get their characters settled in. I've noticed a pattern with RP in games, when a game goes live everyone jumps to actually play the game. Once people have formed guide and gotten to know the maps better, built a foundations with people then they start to move into the RP aspect. And the longer a game runs the more people slip into RP because they get tired of raiding, PvP or leveling for the day.

ArcheAge offers a ton of possibilities for roleplayers and it saddens me to see the community not responding to it or shying away from it.

What the heck? Your saying that because people are playing the game we are shying away? No people are just playing the game. Not all of us have alot of free time and so while we are on we want to learn about this game, learn about the storyline or just get a feel for the community.

Your whole post is so judgmental..

This mindset really needs to change, because I assure you that you are not doing yourself a service.

Wow....seriously? Your coming off a bit needy now...

For example, I am very discouraged by lack of roleplaying and am already thinking about moving on, despite really enjoying the game overall.

Can I buy your house then?

I honesty wouldn't want to RP with you after reading this. Your very insulting, and down putting, you seem to need attention. Your words are not encouraging but belittling. No one reading this post is going to go. "Yah I totally want to go Rp now!"

So my suggestion to you is....

BE THE RP YOU WANT TO SEE.

You post is not going to change anything, but go out and start RPing. The time you took to put all the RPers down, and make assumptions about us and call us scared and shy could have been time you used to be Rping in the world. Be a role model not a complainer, go to the link below on my sig and meet players OOC! There are some awesome people there, and a chat room you can say hi in. Event are getting planned there. Go! Be a part of this RP family. If your half as good at drama as your post implies use it for your character!

But I just can't stress this enough if you want change then YOU need to make it happen. Coming here is not going to do that.
GO. PLAY.

BE THE RP YOU WANT TO SEE!

Maquiame
09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Sure, an argument can be made that it is a personal preference, and believe me that I am not trying to force anyone to do anything against their will. All I am trying to do is opening a discussion about how our personal preferences affect the world, which is (whether you want to admit or not), an integral and very important part of the overall roleplaying experience.

With that being said, here are some points to think about.
1. Does roleplaying live prevent you from having guild-based roleplaying sessions? True, you might prefer guild based RP where you are roleplaying with experienced and selectively chosen guild members with years of experience instead of RPing noobs, but I still don't see a reason why one should exclude the other.

2. Does roleplaying live improve the way we perceive the world? I think everyone would agree that a world where people roleplay live (even in small numbers) is far more believable then a world where people just run mindlessly after the next quest.

3. Given 2, does having a more believable world contribute to the overall roleplaying experience? I think this is self obvious.

4. "But I personally don't enjoy dealing with noobs who don't know the rules". I understand that, but everyone was new at roleplaying at some point. Chances are you would never get into roleplaying in the first place if people back in the old times were so secluded and exclusive. Think about how your personal preferences affect the whole world.

I am not telling anyone to do something they don't enjoy. But at least think about the consequences of your choice how to roleplay.

This post comes off as making assumptions and is quite negative. By the looks of it it seems that you have had bad experiences in the past and are basically projecting here.

Bottom line is if you come in almost expecting the things here that you listed you are going to get exactly what you bring to the table. Nothing but negativity.

What you give you attract, period. Perhaps you should watch this first before you do anything else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ioKU6Jue_k

I have a question why not just make an rp event of your own to gather rpers there so you can get all the rp you want?

Why wait for other people to do these things to entertain you first? Instead of doing what you wan to get yourself entertained and create what you are looking for?

I'm sorry but I personally can't stand the types of roleplayers that depend on everyone else to do things for them. When I want to see rp I do events, I gather people and get the rp I want.

I don't simply fuss at people and say to them

"Entertain me! Because I demand it!"

Ehrendil
09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Honestly the servers situation is so bad atm...
We will start roleplaying when the place will be more stable.

Crimsonredwolf
09-19-2014, 04:22 PM
A yup...everything that Treasure Hunter just said. (I can spell that Maq name so I'll just call you Treasure and you'll know it's me)

*waves* I saw you last night! *squeals like a fan girl*

Maquiame
09-19-2014, 04:31 PM
i have a question for the OP. I created a thread for people to list themselves as available for walk up roleplay. These are people you can hit up and even whisper in game for rp. Why have you not used it yet? Why are you not listed there?

This is for -anyone- to use! You available for walkup rp and to be whispered? List yourself here!
http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?51340-Walkup-RP-List-for-all-servers

Mareus Durante
09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
The only reason you aren't seeing RP is right here.
Even when GW2 did the mega server crap I still RP out in the open but it did cut down on seeing alot of open world RP. Before that there was tons of RP all over Tarnish Coast. And I believe that it will be the same way here.

Give the server time to settle down, give people time to get their characters settled in. I've noticed a pattern with RP in games, when a game goes live everyone jumps to actually play the game.

This is a valid argument. Since this is my first launch and since I always immediately jump into RPing, perhaps I didn't calculate this into my argument and things might change later on.

What the heck? Your saying that because people are playing the game we are shying away? No people are just playing the game. Not all of us have alot of free time and so while we are on we want to learn about this game, learn about the storyline or just get a feel for the community.
I am saying that I have not seen any roleplaying happening after 2 days, despite searching for it actively. Now, as you have rightly noticed, this is perhaps due to me not taking into account the launch, but I still think people can roleplay while playing the game. Nothing major, but I think the labor points mechanic actually encourages roleplaying since you can roleplay while you wait for your LP to regenrate. That is why I was expecting to see at least some roleplaying happening live.

Your whole post is so judgmental.. Your coming off a bit needy now... I honesty wouldn't want to RP with you after reading this. Your very insulting, and down putting, you seem to need attention. Your words are not encouraging but belittling. No one reading this post is going to go. "Yah I totally want to go Rp now!"
Wow, dude. Talking about being judgmental. I was just opening a discussion since I noticed that roleplaying today is seems to be done mostly through guild/party/raid chat and this is an observable fact if you played MMOs as long as I have.

So my suggestion to you is....

BE THE RP YOU WANT TO SEE.

You post is not going to change anything, but go out and start RPing.
Dude, I have been doing that for the last 10 years!

Mareus Durante
09-19-2014, 05:04 PM
i have a question for the OP. I created a thread for people to list themselves as available for walk up roleplay. These are people you can hit up and even whisper in game for rp. Why have you not used it yet? Why are you not listed there?
Because it defeats its purpose. It is like scripting your way through to get to roleplaying and it shouldn't be like that. It should occur naturally without the need of using websites and whispers and planning where to meet, etc.

There is magic in unplanned, unscripted encounters that is lost if you resort to the things you are suggesting.

Maquiame
09-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Because it defeats its purpose. It is like scripting your way through to get to roleplaying and it shouldn't be like that. It should occur naturally without the need of using websites and whispers and planning where to meet, etc.

There is magic in unplanned, unscripted encounters that is lost if you resort to the things you are suggesting.

*Laughs

You don't need to explain this to me I am the king of freeform roleplay, but I am also aware that sometimes things need a jumpstart.

And I'm certainly not going to wait on others to do it for me. Listen I've played so many mmos its crazy, in each and everyone of them my characters always end up popular and well known. Why? Because I don't wait for things to happen. I jumpstart things. Sure would random rp everywhere be the most ideal? Of course, but I also know that in order to get the beehive stirring you have to give it a few twacks first. I'm not talking about "scripted roleplay" I hate scripted roleplay. What I am talking about is the creation of social situations to bring people out and get them talking, and to get them talking about -you- so that you don't ever have to worry about finding rp again because you make it come to -you- first. Sometimes just getting a bunch of people to sit in a place for drinks is more than enough to get the ball rolling.

Amaare Margolis, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire

/waves

Demented
09-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Like people said give it time people are leveling right now. OR find a questing buddy and RP your way to adventure and fame! Maybe a little romance thrown in there. Make the most out of your playtime ^.^
Don't wait for RP to come to you!

mattfire
09-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Greetings everyone!

Hi!

The Dahuta community had it's first public roleplay event last night at 8pm BST time (GMT +1) so we've officially kick started things. However it started a bit late due to 3 hour queues for some of us! Also a few random folk ran in and quickly left. One came in on a horse then actually apologised profusely saying they weren't aware they were interrupting roleplay so trolling it seems isn't much of an issue. If you're looking specifically for news related to Dahuta based roleplay please check out this forum: http://archeageroleplayeu.enjin.com/home

We made this community specifically for EU roleplayers and thus for Dahuta. We're also partnered with http://www.archeageroleplay.com/ which is also a good forum to check for our events as we will be posting on both mediums (hopefully!). Two forums may be confusing or inconvenient but many of us had active enjin accounts and hadn't properly discovered the other site when we founded our EU RP specific forum. However I assure you any events on Dahuta regarding roleplay will be broadcast on the EU RP site after all that's why it is there! Also do note membership of these forums is entirely optional and will not hinder roleplay availability in any way! They're merely community tools to help you find roleplay to begin with and both arer dedicated to giving a nurturing environment.

General launch of the game was only 4 days ago and with the server queues people find it hard to get online. Many non patron players can spend up to 8 hours in the queue! We're getting reports of people managing to log in late at night to give up make a character and log out again. Most non patrons are under level 30 and thus their main concern in the first weeks of launch is levelling and scrapping for any remaining land. As for the patron players I've seen only a few roleplayers at level 50. I myself am at 46 and while I did make time for a roleplay gathering last night I'm currently locked in land rush 2.0 the rush for medium housing space. As such we're all rather busy! That and many want to exploit the market fluctuations surrounding lumber and stone etc early on to make lots of delicious gold.

I expect you may have run past a lot of roleplayers already but not noticed. They're not currently roleplaying is probably the cause! Look for people who appear to have IC names rather than "Lordoftheuniverse" etc and that should be a good starter. The community is as yet unsure where our rp hubs will be as we're waiting for everyone to level up and get roleplay sets. My advice is be patient and keep an eye on the EU RP forum! Perhaps use the shoutbox to ask if anyone is roleplaying but don't be too disappointed if we're all too busy levelling or queueing in the initial 1-2 weeks :D

I hope this helps and hope to see you in game :D

Mareus Durante
09-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Like people said give it time people are leveling right now.
This is a valid argument, which I can accept.

OR find a questing buddy and RP your way to adventure and fame! Maybe a little romance thrown in there. Make the most out of your playtime ^.^
Don't wait for RP to come to you!
This however is not useful at all. As I said numerous times, the problem I am talking about is not about people not being able to find roleplayers through global chat advertisement or through website applications, and similar convoluted means. I think majority of people already know how to find roleplaying through these means. What I am trying to do is raise a discussion about whether or not using such convoluted means is how we should do it, since this means you are basically scripting and planning your encounters ahead and are unfortunately missing out on live roleplaying sessions that not only draw in more like minded people and enrich the world experience, but also have magic of their own due to feeling much more natural.

My impression from reading these replies is that most people agree with me that roleplaying live is a good thing, but they view it as some kind of unreachable ideal, completely ignoring the fact that 10 years ago roleplaying live was the norm rather then exception. They also ignore the fact that this ideal still exists in games where people understand the points I am raising.

So, to conclude this. The only valid argument I heard so far was that roleplaying still hasn't started due to long queues, people being in a hurry to gain some levels, etc. This I can accept and I am willing to wait to see what happens later. As for searching roleplaying through websites, global advertisement, etc... I will use this only as a last resort.

mattfire
09-20-2014, 03:44 AM
This is a valid argument, which I can accept.

This however is not useful at all. As I said numerous times, the problem I am talking about is not about people not being able to find roleplayers through global chat advertisement or through website applications, and similar convoluted means. I think majority of people already know how to find roleplaying through these means. What I am trying to do is raise a discussion about whether or not using such convoluted means is how we should do it, since this means you are basically scripting and planning your encounters ahead and are unfortunately missing out on live roleplaying sessions that not only draw in more like minded people and enrich the world experience, but also have magic of their own due to feeling much more natural.

My impression from reading these replies is that most people agree with me that roleplaying live is a good thing, but they view it as some kind of unreachable ideal, completely ignoring the fact that 10 years ago roleplaying live was the norm rather then exception. They also ignore the fact that this ideal still exists in games where people understand the points I am raising.

So, to conclude this. The only valid argument I heard so far was that roleplaying still hasn't started due to long queues, people being in a hurry to gain some levels, etc. This I can accept and I am willing to wait to see what happens later. As for searching roleplaying through websites, global advertisement, etc... I will use this only as a last resort.

Roleplaying live as you call it is how I know random roleplay to be. You turn up somewhere see a group roleplaying or whatnot and just go and introduce yourself. This is in no way dead or absent and in fact we saw aexamples last night in the first public event. The only scripted thing was that we chose Ezna and it was for a publically known memorial service. Is it not random roleplay to find knowledge of a gathering and turn up? Just because the event exists does not mean random encounters do not stem from it. It is also by no way the only way to find roleplay in this game.

The games only been out since the 12th / 16th there will not be any random roleplay till queues stabilise and people finish levelling. I'd say don't be shy to use forums to look for roleplay. It is in no way scripted and we don't tell people "Meet us here!" ooc then expect them to turn up IC without proper IC notification. If we post posters in a city and put the images on the forums for better immersive effect and you don't bother checking the forums we're not accountable for people missing those events. We don't advertise them in game channels like faction in case of trolls so forums are your best bet.

Also all guild meetings etc are effectively random events. Perhaps they'll hasve a scripted element such as an IC agenda for the meeting but then you could argue all roleplay is scripted to some extent because all roleplay has predefined objectives and purposes. You don't randomly walk into a bar IC looking for people because it was a whim you do so because your character is actively searching which one could also argue is scripted via this logic.

I understand your points but it's far too early to just say random roleplay isn't accessible. We don't even know where roleplay hubs will be! For example will people prefer Marianople or Ezna? Which districts in each city are preferable? Only time will tell.

Valadeus
09-20-2014, 05:18 AM
To the OP:

Let me preface this by stating I understand your position entirely as I've been there before.

Now, some points made here are very valid and good advice. Not everyone is going to dive headfirst into RP on a new game, a lot of people want to get a feel for the game, its lore, the environment and their character before they begin to RP. With that said, finding an RP guild is a great way to get started and also a great way to start laying a foundation for active RP.

Far be it from me to tell you how to play the game and how to find RP, but maybe pursuing a slightly different avenue will help you get to where you're wanting to get while the rest of us catch up. :)

Lady Chyna
09-20-2014, 06:49 AM

I see this excuse a lot when it comes to RP at launch. Personally, I think it's a poor excuse as one can easily RP as they level/gather, it just takes a few weeks longer to reach level cap. It comes down to priorities really, are you a role-player or are you more into leveling? I think most people are the latter these days.

deedlez349
09-20-2014, 06:57 AM
I just wish there was a way to wear custom titles, so that the RPers could just put <RP> or something and people would know to engage in open world RP with them. I'm still leveling right now but I don't mind RPing along the way, but whenever I'm in a carriage running a trade, and four other random players are sitting in the carriage with me, it's hard to tell if they're RPers, non-RPers, or trolls.

LunaNahueli
09-20-2014, 07:14 AM
(I'm on Tahyang)

I've never roleplayed in a game before but I wanted to try it out ... but this post, and some of the responses ...
I don't know why it's here. @.@
Why does anything have to be an excuse? Why does it matter if I want to level first?

Somehow, for some reason, roleplaying when I'm playing a game is extremely difficult for me, I've found out. I can whisper friends tidbits about why my mount was given its name and what it means, or what interesting thing I did that *would* make good roleplay but it's hard to somehow turn that into ... well, roleplay. It's just what I do and I've always done (in some other games); and hard to somehow be someone 'else' while I'm doing it and add flair or whatever. And from what I've gathered on forums, there are so many different types of roleplay that sometimes it might be difficult to join if you did find some.
Such as third person--at one point yesterday when I was traveling through Lutesong, I saw two people roleplaying. At first I was quite excited, but once I realized it was all third person, I knew I just couldn't do it. So I moved on, but it made my heart a little happy XD to know that some was actually going on. But I'm not ever actually worried or concerned about when/if/where, I know when it happens it'll happen.

I just thought that was the whole point in general, you roleplay because you want to ... and if you don't want to or feel that you aren't ready yet whether it's because you're unsure or you're leveling or whatever ... well ... ?
In my opinion it's fine because it gives the rest of everybody time to simmer down anyway, being that this game just officially released in the West.

Hell ... I got invited to some Freefarmers Initiative thing last night/early morn because for the past two days when I had enough labor and coin I've been planting trees in some safe zones on Haranya for people to take. Their sign is an Iris where they find a farm kinda thing, and they replace stuffs taken ... so, roleplay somehow ... but I don't know that I'm any good at it, and that looking at this stuff, I even really want to be. I have random bursts of whateverness that certainly aren't the actions of someone just leveling or 'playing the game', but they're never consistent or in any sort of character-unless you could call it *my* character lol-I'll just do my own thing and play the game and do crazy stuffs and if someone wants to take that further, fine. I'll roleplay myself? Nah, I'll just be myself.

I don't even know what I'm saying any more, and it probably made no sense, my thoughts are all over on all of this. It's just frustrating to see that anyone would call anything an excuse ... this is a game, enjoy it, right? If nobody's doing it and you want to; you start it if you can, yeah? If you can't ... this is just the beginning, so don't worry about it (don't worry, be happy ... )

Valadeus
09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I just wish there was a way to wear custom titles, so that the RPers could just put <RP> or something and people would know to engage in open world RP with them. I'm still leveling right now but I don't mind RPing along the way, but whenever I'm in a carriage running a trade, and four other random players are sitting in the carriage with me, it's hard to tell if they're RPers, non-RPers, or trolls.

This is a good idea, actually.

Lunalepsy
09-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Way too many paragraphs for a well-know pattern. Let things calm down and you will find your answer.

BlessedSilence
09-20-2014, 11:49 AM
*Laughs

You don't need to explain this to me I am the king of freeform roleplay, but I am also aware that sometimes things need a jumpstart.

And I'm certainly not going to wait on others to do it for me. Listen I've played so many mmos its crazy, in each and everyone of them my characters always end up popular and well known. Why? Because I don't wait for things to happen. I jumpstart things. Sure would random rp everywhere be the most ideal? Of course, but I also know that in order to get the beehive stirring you have to give it a few twacks first. I'm not talking about "scripted roleplay" I hate scripted roleplay. What I am talking about is the creation of social situations to bring people out and get them talking, and to get them talking about -you- so that you don't ever have to worry about finding rp again because you make it come to -you- first. Sometimes just getting a bunch of people to sit in a place for drinks is more than enough to get the ball rolling.

Amaare Margolis, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire

/waves

Hi Amaare!

Anywho, first off, to Mareus .. never EVER start off in a post that it will come off as a rant. Because it did. A rant =/= a discussion, and since you anted this to be a discussion ... well you kinda dropped the ball there.

Second, you said you've been looking for RP for the first 2 days. If you have looked around these boards, you could see many people haven't even been able to log into the game for 2 days or more. Not an exaggeration. The launch was really poor. As someone stated in another post, essentially there could be hundreds of RPers stuck not being able to play or in que that you can't see.

We can throw around numbers of how long people have done MMOs and RPed ... I've been since 2001, but that doesn't make a difference. All people are different in what they want in their RP. Some people do like scripted RP. Some, like Amaare, love freeform. Some like hanging around taverns. Others make events.

The way your OP is worded, does come off a bit angry and judgemental. Who says many are bothered by trolls? Pffft. That's what /ignore is for! Heck, I've seen RPers talk about a troll ICly, and that 'troll' started RPing back. I've even met a few people that way.

I for one, am more concerned about getting used to the game and figuring things out. I have a bio for my one character, Bralken, and am working on Xunghi's now. I have decided to do this, because I want to be comfortable and be ready to RP the way I want to. I'm not out there RPing for others.

Granted, if anyone sees me on Tahyung, don't hesitate to send a whisper. I'd be happy to chat about RP or give some ideas etc. Normally I'm questing and using the time I have to do that. I don't have a farm or anything, but I do love 'collecting' trees and stuff!

TL:DR Give it time. But also don't force your RP viewpoints on others. Find those who want to RP, but don't go out of your way. You'll be disappointed right now. But that doesn't mean they aren't out there!

Destroy
09-20-2014, 11:51 AM
you are mad

Mareus Durante
09-20-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't simply fuss at people and say to them

"Entertain me! Because I demand it!"
Have you even read one word of what I wrote?

Crimsonredwolf
09-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Have you even read one word of what I wrote?

The bigger questions is...are you reading what everyone ELSE is writing?

Demented
09-20-2014, 04:33 PM
The bigger questions is...are you reading what everyone ELSE is writing?

This guy is way to combative and negative. Maybe that's why he can't find any RP.

Phantom The Aspect
09-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Yarr. I would be in dere roleplayin', but I be locked in a battle wit' a vicious queue monster. The tussle has been goin' on fer hours now, but I be wearin' the barnacle encrusted lubber down by watchin' kitten videos on youtube.

Kasus Cloud
09-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I would advise everyone to stop posting on this thread, there is very little good to come of this. The thread was made whether intentionally or not as flamebait, I strongly advise each of you to pay no heed to it. Problems arise when people make drama out of drama. Drama-starters like these deserve our kindness and respect, but not ever our attention. This is all this thread is for, drama, It is best you all drop this and focus on having positive conversations and great Roleplays.

Finally, I would like to make a polite request that some of you, no matter how upset you may feel, continue to hold respectful tones to your opponents, no matter how irrational they may come off. Losing your temper loses your credibility in your argument, and also displays to others looking at our community seeking good friendly roleplay that we are not so friendly. I understand it may be hard to do so but at the very least I would ask you honor my request. that is all, thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

"The flames grew cold, and there was naught but cinders. Even so, the man trudged on, as if driven not by the flames but by the maddening hope of a tomorrow worth living."

Lunalepsy
09-20-2014, 05:03 PM
We need to find where is Ul'dah!

Kasus Cloud
09-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I will be open this evening in the NA Tahyang server late, late this evening, as I am going out and leaving my queue open, and I project it to be around 11pm CST before I enter the game. That said, if there is ANYONE who wants to Roleplay, I will be naming my character in a quite similar name to my own, I will make it as visible as possible that I am, in fact, a roleplayer, and I will be open to roleplaying with anyone who approaches me. I intend on staying well into the evening, as I both want to see the community and its patrons, and I may or may not have college coursework I need to finish. I will talk to you each then, until then, good eve, and be respectful to all those around you!

*looking to a few in particular.*

Kalaor
09-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I think I got the OP's point.

The main idea is that you can RP even if you're new to the game, need time to level up, farm, mine, whatever. That doesn't menan you must, or even should. But I totally agree YOU CAN. Your gameplay won't suffer in terms of craft levelling, selling packs, etc.

This thesis is not valid, though, if any of the following is true for you:
- RP is impossible without an audience.
- RP means /cheering, *waving*, actually all possible ways of jerking around. If you don't ***kneel*** or *juggling his 2H sword in front of %username%'s face*, you're most likely doing it wrong.
- People can't enjoy the game fully if they are not acquainted with your story. That is why events like '%servername% %factionname% grand picnic' are strongly required.

These are just some points I managed to recollect, there are some more.

It were you guys, who went to the person first, not OP. You started to judge him from the hights of your phenomenal experience. Just for not being agree with you.

I've seen much of this 'RP' in GW2, too much clowns and attention ♥♥♥♥♥♥, if you ask me. However, there were some excellent guys (e.g. that military charr guild, they were awesome).

The above are just my thoughts on the topic, not a trolling or flaming. If you feel you haven't got any arguments except for 'everyone loves my characters that means I'm doing it right' or ' I've been roleplaying for %years placeholder goes here% years, how dare you' - just ignore my post. My intention was to show my consent with OP.

P.S. *cheers

Mareus Durante
09-21-2014, 03:39 AM
I think I got the OP's point.

The main idea is that you can RP even if you're new to the game, need time to level up, farm, mine, whatever. That doesn't menan you must, or even should. But I totally agree YOU CAN. Your gameplay won't suffer in terms of craft levelling, selling packs, etc.

This thesis is not valid, though, if any of the following is true for you:
- RP is impossible without an audience.
- RP means /cheering, *waving*, actually all possible ways of jerking around. If you don't ***kneel*** or *juggling his 2H sword in front of %username%'s face*, you're most likely doing it wrong.
- People can't enjoy the game fully if they are not acquainted with your story. That is why events like '%servername% %factionname% grand picnic' are strongly required.

These are just some points I managed to recollect, there are some more.

It were you guys, who went to the person first, not OP. You started to judge him from the hights of your phenomenal experience. Just for not being agree with you.

I've seen much of this 'RP' in GW2, too much clowns and attention ♥♥♥♥♥♥, if you ask me. However, there were some excellent guys (e.g. that military charr guild, they were awesome).

The above are just my thoughts on the topic, not a trolling or flaming. If you feel you haven't got any arguments except for 'everyone loves my characters that means I'm doing it right' or ' I've been roleplaying for %years placeholder goes here% years, how dare you' - just ignore my post. My intention was to show my consent with OP.

P.S. *cheers
Glad someone noticed who was actually being judgemental and negative in this thread. Some people just seem to take every disagreement and discussion as a personal attack.

Basically some responses here are not addressing my points at all and are instead focused on judging me as a person, which is nothing more than ad hominem and not a very healthy way to have a discussion. Besides, if I was just trying to start a flame war, then why did I actually accept some responses as valid counter arguments to the points I raised? For example I accepted the argument that perhaps people are not roleplaying live so much yet due to this being a very rocky start and obviously a lot of people still haven't had the chance to experience the world enough to be able to create first social hubs, etc. I can accept rational points like this even though I still think people can be in character while exploring the game. But that is personal preference and I understand if someone who has been waiting 10 h to log in is now in a hurry to grab some land and cannot be bothered with rping. When people accept counter arguments it usually means they are willing to have a rational discussion. And then some guy comes and accuses me of trying to start a flame war, of being judgmental, etc despite the fact that there is nothing in any of my posts that could be interpreted as flaimbait or judgmental.

Thus some responses here seem to be written by people who are way too easy to offend. For example, my whole discussion revolves about the question how using convoluted means of finding other roleplayers is affecting the overall roleplaying experience. So if majority of people search for roleplay through websites and then script their encounters so that they can roleplay in party chat with a person they contacted through the website, then obviously these people are not visible to other roleplayers within the game because they are roleplaying hidden within their party chat and roleplaying becomes difficult to see, forcing even more people to abandon roleplaying live and searching roleplaying partners through websites, global chat advertisment, etc which is opposite of roleplaying live.

So I am not complaining AND I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICES HOW TO FIND RP. I am discussing whether or not we should roleplay hidden in guild/party/raid chat or open so that everyone can see, and whether or not the risk of attracting trolls is worth it.

Some less intelligent responses to this have been advices like: Dont wait RP to come to you. Go to websites, find a guild, find a roleplaying buddy, you are negative so its no wonder you cant find people to roleplay, etc...

Look you guys, I have never had a problem finding roleplayers in any game for the last 10 years. From the points I raised it should be obvious I know about various websites and global chat advertisement and guild roleplaying when I talk about convoluted means in my points. So when you tell me to go to a website you are kind of missing my point. When you are telling me to find a guild, again you are missing the point of the discussion. And when you accuse me of being negative and judgmental, you are leaving the points I raised unaddressed while attacking me as a person who you never met or ever roleplayed with. Thus you are not contributing anything of value to the discussion.

Also I would just like to say that yesterday I met 2 people that roleplayed live and 1 guy that recognized me as a roleplayer due to how I behaved in the game and we had a few hours of wonderful roleplaying session, which is actually making me very optimistic about roleplaying in this game.

Mareus Durante
09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
[B]I would advise everyone to stop posting on this thread, there is very little good to come of this. The thread was made whether intentionally or not as flamebait, I strongly advise each of you to pay no heed to it.
My goodness... *facepalms*

nil
09-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Greetings everyone!

Furthermore, is there any place that you guys gather?

Primarily at our farms, or any place we see herbs, plants, they are all over the map. ;) (Just kidding hoping to lighten the mood)

Right now the game is extremely new, and RP dwindles when new content is released. In GW2, every living story update Tuesday, RP died for 1-2 days. This game has so much to do and so much going on, RP is very minimal.

All you can change is yourself. If you try to change others, you will fail. I wish I knew that several decades ago, as I would have prevented myself from being frustrated like you are, wanting others to change for me. This community is just in it's infancy, and here is your opportunity to create something and build a community like you want. If I want RP, I embrace Crimson's motto, "Be the RP you want to See."

nil
09-21-2014, 11:04 AM
So I am not complaining AND I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICES HOW TO FIND RP. I am discussing whether or not we should roleplay hidden in guild/party/raid chat or open so that everyone can see, and whether or not the risk of attracting trolls is worth it.

FYI the plural for advice is advice.

I have read your original post several times and never once got that as the theme of your rant. That being the point of your rant, I have seen emotes when running, I just honestly believe the game is too young, and no taverns have been established as a hub for RP yet. Give it time, and remember patience is a virtue.

Crimsonredwolf
09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Also I would just like to say that yesterday I met 2 people that roleplayed live and 1 guy that recognized me as a roleplayer due to how I behaved in the game and we had a few hours of wonderful roleplaying session, which is actually making me very optimistic about roleplaying in this game.

Awesome, I'm glad you're not wasting your time here complaining and getting out there are finally RPing with people!
Keep up the good work and don't give up and don't get let down.
And don't be afraid to approach people and start RPing at them, or just monologuing and seeing if you pick someone up.

Mareus Durante
09-21-2014, 11:58 AM
FYI the plural for advice is advice.
Thank you. Not a native English speaker, so mistakes are bound to happen from time to time.

I have read your original post several times and never once got that as the theme of your rant.
Perhaps you have missed this part:
"In Rift's RP community the order of the day was to actively discourage people from roleplaying in the game naturally and instead went on with forcing roleplayers to go through website applications and similar nonsense. ... What happened to just walking into an inn and meeting people in person and building a story naturally as you progress? Why does everything have to be scripted and artificial?"

and this:

"I understand some of you people want to avoid being trolled by idiots, and are instead trying to keep roleplaying private to a few like-minded people, but by doing that you are actively killing the roleplaying."

and this:

"By roleplaying live so that everyone can see it, you will draw more like-minded or curious people and the community will grow. By keeping it exclusive and scripted you will eventually reduce the community to just a few people."

Also, it is useful to follow the discussion a bit after the first post where I gave further explanations. With that being said, I agree that it's way too early to judge the quality of RPing in ArcheAge and I have on numerous occasions accepted this valid criticism. Still, I think its good to discuss how our roleplaying preferences influence the overall experience. Also, the reason why I brought up Rift was because I expect a lot of roleplayers to come to ArcheAge from Rift, and since website applications and hidden guild roleplaying through private chat was the order of the day there, I think this needs to be discussed.

nil
09-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Also, it is useful to follow the discussion a bit after the first post where I gave further explanations. With that being said, I agree that it's way too early to judge the quality of RPing in ArcheAge and I have on numerous occasions accepted this valid criticism. Still, I think its good to discuss how our roleplaying preferences influence the overall experience. Also, the reason why I brought up Rift was because I expect a lot of roleplayers to come to ArcheAge from Rift, and since website applications and hidden guild roleplaying through private chat was the order of the day there, I think this needs to be discussed.

Again even by your quotes, not once did you mention guild/party/raid, but further commenting on that would be accepting your bait and letting this thread continue being derailed.

I think there is a time and place, but I have seen emotes in public, just few and far between right now. This game has the ability to sit in chairs! I even stumbled upon a guild rp'ing on an island, but in public with emotes. Yes, everyone rp'ing was in the same guild, but they weren't hiding it.

Mareus Durante
09-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Again even by your quotes, not once did you mention guild/party/raid (chat).
My goodness... *facepalm* Are you for real? Yes, I did not mention it in those exact words, but I used terms like private chat (which is essentially guild/party/raid chat), I spoke of live roleplaying vs forcing roleplayers to go through website applications and keeping roleplaying hidden and exclusive. I think you are just grasping at straws now.

I think there is a time and place, but I have seen emotes in public, just few and far between right now. This game has the ability to sit in chairs! I even stumbled upon a guild rp'ing on an island, but in public with emotes. Yes, everyone rp'ing was in the same guild, but they weren't hiding it.
Good for you. I can't wait to experience those things.

StillAlive
09-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Mareus, I'm truly sorry for the responses you have received. As a roleplayer, I have felt the lack of togetherness in the AA Roleplay community even before the game launched, with the division of the Naima and Tahyang roleplayers, at least NA side for me. EU I hope are doing better. Coming from a background in pen and paper games, LARP, text based forum roleplay and MMO roleplay it's hard to see what things have devolved into. Instead of being inclusive, people get upset over context and horde RP to themselves (not that I want huge mass-RP get togethers - those become chat spam). I guarantee you if you were speaking face to face with these people they would have been to embarrassed to say what they've said to your face, and would have been able to understand the context of your discussion without reading into a word here and a word there and getting defensive. I think your point was crystal clear, and I have always been in the mindset that roleplay should be done in /say and not in /guild, unless it is something ICly no one else should be able to hear from where they're standing. Having guild storylines is one thing, but not roleplaying or trying to be inclusive of others interested in roleplaying with you is not the path we should be going down if we want roleplay to continue to shine and thrive for future generations. I hope you find a roleplay experience in this game to your liking. I myself have roleplayed with my guild only out in the open, we never use raid or guild chat, those are strictly ooc.

Mareus Durante
09-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Mareus, I'm truly sorry for the responses you have received. As a roleplayer, I have felt the lack of togetherness in the AA Roleplay community even before the game launched, with the division of the Naima and Tahyang roleplayers, at least NA side for me. EU I hope are doing better. Coming from a background in pen and paper games, LARP, text based forum roleplay and MMO roleplay it's hard to see what things have devolved into. Instead of being inclusive, people get upset over context and horde RP to themselves (not that I want huge mass-RP get togethers - those become chat spam). I guarantee you if you were speaking face to face with these people they would have been to embarrassed to say what they've said to your face, and would have been able to understand the context of your discussion without reading into a word here and a word there and getting defensive. I think your point was crystal clear, and I have always been in the mindset that roleplay should be done in /say and not in /guild, unless it is something ICly no one else should be able to hear from where they're standing. Having guild storylines is one thing, but not roleplaying or trying to be inclusive of others interested in roleplaying with you is not the path we should be going down if we want roleplay to continue to shine and thrive for future generations. I hope you find a roleplay experience in this game to your liking. I myself have roleplayed with my guild only out in the open, we never use raid or guild chat, those are strictly ooc.
Glad to hear I am not the only one who shares this mindset. I am also happy to report that every day I am meeting more and more roleplayers who gladly participate with me in live roleplaying after I explain to them why it is important to do this. Some are reluctant at first, because they don't want to attract trolls, but as soon as we start doing it more roleplayers appear out of nowhere.

For example, yesterday I met a girl who was playing with a non-RP guy. They needed some help, and I approached them in pure RP manner (as I always do, even when people are not into RP) only to discover the girl was a true roleplayer who almost gave up on it, because much like me she had a hard time even finding people who were willing to respond to a greeting. Then she started with what seems to be the norm for so many of us today, with usual party chat roleplaying. I kindly asked her to roleplay live because we will attract more roleplayers that way, and woe and behold after 20 minutes another roleplayer joined us out of nowhere. In the end even the non-RP guy started playing a long and we all had a blast. I think examples like this validate the points I raised better then anything.

The only thing that makes me a bit worried now is the long waiting queues that might split up the communities to different servers - especially once new servers and free character transfers are activated. I already heard rumors of NA opening a secondary RP server, which I am not sure if it is a good idea. I understand people want to play the game, but I also think roleplaying has dwindled a lot in the last 10 years and we roleplayers need to stick together, even if it means toughing it out for a couple of weeks.

Duke Suraknar
09-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree with the Gist of the OP in principle. Spontaneous Open Role Play is what I like as well, it is how I leaned to Role Play in UO.

In a Tavern somewhere in the woods north of the town of Yew. There adventurers of all walks of life gathered and shared the stories of their daily adventures over a cup of Ale, some bread and cheese.

As time passed friendships formed and the regulars also shared their own stories their backgrounds everyone as so unique and everyone had not only a story to share but a personality to offer as well. Role play was not only about, rehearsing or pretending something during a role play Session. Role play was about living in an alternate world all together through one's character. Immersing one's self in the environment of the game and looking at the world surrounding your character through its eyes as if you yourself were there being its conscience. And thus even your perspective of other people changed in a natural way which was and is very conductive to spontaneity and authentic organic interaction.

Having said this, today RP suffers since the advent of Themepark MMO's with Chat boxes and Chat channels, (but mainly the lack of Options for the players and the narrow minded progression based gameplay) what was previously open became private and so even what Constitutes Role Play today changed, the topics the content of it is simply not the same for many people.

But I am glad to see that open authentic, spontaneous and immersion relevant Role Play still exists and being practised.

This was not a Rant, this was a reminder! :)

Farewell, and may the Gods guide you in your path. *salutes*

VrTesseract
09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
I really think what the RP server(s) need is a declaration of rp meeting spots like the place north of YEW in UO, or the park of stormwind in wow, club caprice in champs online, Pocket D in city of heroes, moonstone mask in neverwinter,

you dont need to ONLY rp in those spots but its a good way to make initial rp contact for people new to the game and for rp guilds to recruit. I know it takes some time for rp to snowball into a thing but it has to start somewhere.

Najda
09-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one who shares this mindset. I am also happy to report that every day I am meeting more and more roleplayers who gladly participate with me in live roleplaying after I explain to them why it is important to do this. Some are reluctant at first, because they don't want to attract trolls, but as soon as we start doing it more roleplayers appear out of nowhere.

For example, yesterday I met a girl who was playing with a non-RP guy. They needed some help, and I approached them in pure RP manner (as I always do, even when people are not into RP) only to discover the girl was a true roleplayer who almost gave up on it, because much like me she had a hard time even finding people who were willing to respond to a greeting. Then she started with what seems to be the norm for so many of us today, with usual party chat roleplaying. I kindly asked her to roleplay live because we will attract more roleplayers that way, and woe and behold after 20 minutes another roleplayer joined us out of nowhere. In the end even the non-RP guy started playing a long and we all had a blast. I think examples like this validate the points I raised better then anything.

The only thing that makes me a bit worried now is the long waiting queues that might split up the communities to different servers - especially once new servers and free character transfers are activated. I already heard rumors of NA opening a secondary RP server, which I am not sure if it is a good idea. I understand people want to play the game, but I also think roleplaying has dwindled a lot in the last 10 years and we roleplayers need to stick together, even if it means toughing it out for a couple of weeks.

No, you are absolutely not the only one who shares that mindset! I for one will engage in role play in local chat (and have done) and am not the least bit intimidated by any trolls who might happen along. Let them laugh if they like, because I will just laugh back even harder -- at them and at myself! Heavens, whyever would I feel the need to justify myself for immersing myself into a fantasy role in a FANTASY GAME?

... and I agree 100 percent about exclusivity and scripted role play. Role playing should be a natural, organic thing, a thing that happens every time you log in and become an elf or harani or whatever, because from that moment, that is your role! So why keep it only to small cliques and scripted events? It's a crazy, mixed-up world we "live" in, full of cars running alongside horses, polar bears growing up in arid climates, and people carrying packs while dancing on the fronts of moving farm carts or land-sailing or doing whatever other madness people decide to get up to, so just react to it! Why would you not make everything you experience part of your role play and your personal story?

Well, that's just my two gildas' at least, for whatever it's worth.