PDA

View Full Version : Damage Types in Archeage

Fook
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,

So I was curious to know more about the different damage types, effectiveness of each type and defenses against each type! I know a little bit, however just part of what I think is a really interesting system.

As far as I know, there are different types of physical damage. There is cutting damage, bludgeoning damage and piercing damage. What is the effectiveness of each damage to each armor type? Does a bow & arrow count as piercing damage?

I've also noticed as I use different weapons, I sometimes de-buff an enemy when I hit them with a melee attack. With spears or halberds I usually notice that the enemies armor gets reduced. When I used a mace, I've noticed that I can stun enemies for 1 second (very small chance, maybe once every 30 attacks). I believe someone mentioned that axes (and possible blades + swords) can cause bleeding? Daggers, I'm not sure exactly what they do as I haven't seen much people using them.

This would be interesting, because in small fights or even 1v1 encounters, an opponent would be able to choose weapons before engaging to make sure they are as effective as possible.

Magic, I assume is more effective against heavy armor, less against medium and not that effective against cloth. I do not believe that there is elemental resistances for armors, or even elemental damage (if there is, please tell me so that I can get lightning resistance!).

Please discuss and correct any mistakes! The more info the better!

kiukiu
03-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Different weapons have different effects, yes axe has bleeding effect, bow poison effect, rapier temporary boost of critical damage not sure but i think 100%, but chance for trigger low.
Also different weapons have different effect on armor in pvp. For example with a dagger you will be doing much often minimal damage to heavy armor, while maximum damage to robe wearers. With blunt weapons its the opposite. Sword is somewhere in the middle.

Mavol
03-25-2014, 04:40 AM
Different weapons have different effects, yes axe has bleeding effect, bow poison effect, rapier temporary boost of critical damage not sure but i think 100%, but chance for trigger low.
Also different weapons have different effect on armor in pvp. For example with a dagger you will be doing much often minimal damage to heavy armor, while maximum damage to robe wearers. With blunt weapons its the opposite. Sword is somewhere in the middle.

As for armor types being heavy to light..are certain classes restricted to what armor they can wear? Can a wizard type technically equip heavy armor even if it might not be in his best interest or does the game just say no way no matter what?

Sweetdeal
03-25-2014, 05:14 AM
There was some types like Picing / Hammer etc. but that is all gone from what I know. As Korean player was forced to use specific Weapon.

Fook
03-25-2014, 08:18 AM
As for armor types being heavy to light..are certain classes restricted to what armor they can wear? Can a wizard type technically equip heavy armor even if it might not be in his best interest or does the game just say no way no matter what?

No armor restrictions, someone who has mainly magic skill trees can use any armor they want, but they definitely wont get mana bonuses like cloth armor gives.

Fook
03-25-2014, 08:19 AM
There was some types like Picing / Hammer etc. but that is all gone from what I know. As Korean player was forced to use specific Weapon.

Its gone? How could they take out a huge feature like that? I don't think what your saying is accurate...

aphelion
03-25-2014, 08:42 AM
No armor restrictions, someone who has mainly magic skill trees can use any armor they want, but they definitely wont get mana bonuses like cloth armor gives.

It's cool they can wear heavy armor but it's balanced against them being worse with their spells due to losing mana bonuses.

LlexX
03-25-2014, 11:25 AM
There's just 3 type of damage in the game: melee, ranged, magical.

Every type of weapon has a chance to give a special effect, like dagger has a chance for bleed, hammer for stun etc.

Fook
03-25-2014, 01:50 PM
There's just 3 type of damage in the game: melee, ranged, magical.

Every type of weapon has a chance to give a special effect, like dagger has a chance for bleed, hammer for stun etc.

There's definitely different sub-types of damage for melee. As I mentioned vaguely before, a green level 34 crafted 1h mace did less damage to a beetle as opposed to a green level 34 crafted sword. The base damages on the mace are higher, however the hits consistently did less damage (auto attacks) than the sword. Both weapons were 100% durability.

aphelion
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Does the stun from the mace matter at all? One second seems only good for interrupting casts but I haven't played yet, so if it's good, please pass along the reason.

Also, it's a strange breakdown of damage types to only melee, ranged and magical. If you poison someone what kind of damage is the DoT?

KrayPanda
03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Does the stun from the mace matter at all? One second seems only good for interrupting casts but I haven't played yet, so if it's good, please pass along the reason.

Also, it's a strange breakdown of damage types to only melee, ranged and magical. If you poison someone what kind of damage is the DoT?

Those are good questions actually. I would like to know as well. I would assume that the CC would be strong because the game is so CC heavy, but maybe you don't auto attack enough to even use it? Also the poison DoT would magic based on the breakdown given earlier in the post. Although I have always seen poison as a kind of bleeding damage or magic damage to be accompanied with rogues and mages alike.

Sweetdeal
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I will dig around, pretty sure they removed Piecing Damage etc.

aphelion
03-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Magic damage seems a really strange choice for poison DoT. I guess magic is the catch-all damage type for all the outliers.

Mavol
03-25-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the response i like this freedom of choice with consequences

Helix
03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Did they really remove the different damage types? That's a huge ♥♥♥♥ing suck if that's the case.

KrayPanda
03-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Magic damage seems a really strange choice for poison DoT. I guess magic is the catch-all damage type for all the outliers.

I haven't seen any different kinds of resistance to support anything else.

LlexX
03-26-2014, 05:02 AM
There's definitely different sub-types of damage for melee. As I mentioned vaguely before, a green level 34 crafted 1h mace did less damage to a beetle as opposed to a green level 34 crafted sword. The base damages on the mace are higher, however the hits consistently did less damage (auto attacks) than the sword. Both weapons were 100% durability.
There is a simple explanation for that, damage scaling (min-max damage of a weapon) and attack speed of the weapon.
In the DB, there are just 3 types of damages and resistances.

Fook
03-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I wish elemental damage and defenses were implemented, sadly it doesn't seem like it. The only other combat system that would have any elemental synergies would be the combo system. I know that bubble (which I assume would make you wet and conduct electricity better) has a combo with lightning strike which kind of makes sense.The combo system is nice, however it is pre-defined. If the combo system was based off of different elements energizing from one-another, that would be amazing as well. That's a whole different game though :P

KanoHe
03-28-2014, 06:22 PM
It's cool they can wear heavy armor but it's balanced against them being worse with their spells due to losing mana bonuses.
Its not balanced, cuz some mages dont even need those cloth bonuses ...