PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired

Kiriyaga
09-19-2014, 06:12 PM
This queue thing is ♥♥♥♥ing ridiculous, I pay $150 and have to wait over 3 hours in a damned queue, then fell asleep after working and got kicked out. Then had to wait in another 3 hour queue. 6 hours is a stupid amount of time to have to wait for anything in a video game, all because whoever was in charge of server capacities didn't check to see how many Patrons bought the game before they actually released it. Am I wrong or is there some kind of underlying reason that ISN'T their fault. Cuz I'm getting pretty pissed off at this.

Evangelion
09-19-2014, 08:45 PM
6 servers at launch was the problem

Remo Williams
09-20-2014, 08:40 PM
They have terribly underestimated the American gamer on this one. Give it time and it will be better. Im hurting as well but I know it will be sorted out. I know it sucks but dont give up.

Arumen
09-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Part of the problem is that they can't just say "We sold X packs, a server can support Y players, we'll open X/Y servers". The servers can accommodate a certain number of simultaneous users. During head start and launch, users are going to spend much, much more time online than they normally would. Users who might log on 2-4 hours per day normal will be spending 12-14 hours or more online (some people do 48 or 72 hour marathon sessions at launch), so the server load is several times higher than the projected norm. If they open enough servers to allow every single founder or patron to connect concurrently, when people go to a more normal play pattern (forget people who leave, lets just focus on people going back to their average), a server may suddenly be at 30% or lower capacity all the time.

The problem is then further compounded, since people see that they might have trouble connecting later, and therefore try to stay in when not actively playing; this behavior then extends the timeframe before population and playstyle return to projected levels.

I'm not saying Trion didn't make mistakes with their projections, I'm just saying that determining the right number of servers to open is more difficult than people seem to believe. Server merges in a MMO are already considered a death knell, and in Archeage, server merges will assuredly piss off at least one of the two servers (due to the question of how to merge properties), so it's understandable that Trion doesn't want to over-correct on this issue.

slaveyard
09-22-2014, 03:40 PM
arumen nailed it...

My Name
09-24-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm not saying Trion didn't make mistakes with their projections, I'm just saying that determining the right number of servers to open is more difficult than people seem to believe. Server merges in a MMO are already considered a death knell, and in Archeage, server merges will assuredly piss off at least one of the two servers (due to the question of how to merge properties), so it's understandable that Trion doesn't want to over-correct on this issue.

After Trion announced that they were opening 6 NA servers at launch we were screaming at them, thousands of us, YOU NEED DOUBLE THAT AMOUNT!

Trion responded with a bunch of bull about Korean servers, Russian, and so forth. How many servers do we have now, 11? Almost double.

This was an error at the executive level at Trion. Whomever was responsible for making that call should be fired. If Trion is a publicly traded company then shareholders should be upset because this individual cost them a ton of money.

Things are better now.. and none of this really effected me much. Still, whomever that individual is should be fired as he cost the company a ton of money.

Rubius
09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
It was potential money lost, but I have no doubt they're making a great profit already off of ArcheAge. No executive is going to lose their job from record profit numbers, just because said profit could have been even higher, but the company didn't foresee it.

The Head Start really should have been the trigger that warned them just how busy things were going to be (and perhaps it did), but the way it appeared to us, as players, was that things happened in a too little, too late sort of way, and it took 4-6 hour queues (for Patrons,) before things would slowly start to get better.

Being on Salphira, we're one of those servers that does have a high population and longer-than-most queue times. From my experience, though, it has been much better lately, at least for subscribers.

KennyEhh
09-24-2014, 09:19 AM
The queues at first were dreadful. Made worse if you were unlucky and got dropped and couldn't get back in queue before your timer - etc...
They have gotten better lately. I think most reasonable people adapted and logged on to get in queue knowing there would be a wait. Yesterday I got in queue and cut the grass, ate dinner, and then I was able to play.

Pauleh
09-24-2014, 09:23 AM
I can understand the caution, most MMOs add many servers only to close them a few months down the line.

KennyEhh
09-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Though we are a very small guild - we decided to stick out the queues and not re-roll on one of the new servers because we assumed that some day there will be a merge and we didn't want have the short end of the stick. However reading some of the politics on this board I don't know what will happen.

Valiev
09-24-2014, 09:29 AM
I've had no problems getting in the game. Took a little pre-planning on my part. Noticing when peak times were, but yea...Enjoying the game, ques do suck, but don't we have lives to manage otherwise, while the devs are working tirelessly to fix the problem?

Oh yea, patience in a community of "me me's" - Please excuse my ignorance.